DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Does anyone recall this old "game" demo? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/616557-does-anyone-recall-old-game-demo.html)

bdshort 12-29-13 10:51 PM

Does anyone recall this old "game" demo?

Back in the days around when Quake first came out, I recall that someone released a rather impressive 3D tech demo (not sure if it actually was ever intended to be a game) that featured maybe a knight, and certainly some skeletons sword fighting in a medieval castle. I remember the graphics being extremely impressive for the time, but don't remember what it was called. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Decker 12-29-13 11:51 PM

Re: Does anyone recall this old "game" demo?

Hexen?

Groucho 12-30-13 12:12 AM

Sounds familiar. I think it was a pack-in with 3DFX cards or similar...

notkevinbacon 12-30-13 12:28 AM

Daikatana?
Shadow Warrior?

RichC2 12-30-13 08:30 AM

3D Mark? Hexen 2? Daggerfall?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CgHq_muqeH0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

taffer 12-30-13 10:36 AM

It could be Die By The Sword.

I never actually played it, but I remember reading a lot about it. It had an intuitive control scheme for the time where mouse movement controlled sword movement. For example, if you moved your mouse to the right your character would swing his sword to the right. I remember also many people talking about how graphically violent it was. Both enemies and your own character would get bloody as they took damage, and you could also cut off limbs or decapitate.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Lc9cnUbyiGQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0z1HWiTv5Yk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shot...rena-modes.jpg

bdshort 01-01-14 01:21 PM

Nah, none of those look right. As I said, it may never have been an actual game. I'm sure it's pretty obscure if it was never a game so who knows, may be impossible to find now.

Music 01-01-14 01:43 PM

Definitely sounds like one of the 3D Marks...

Neitzl 01-02-14 12:49 PM

Stonekeep?

bippitty 01-02-14 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Neitzl (Post 11964388)
Stonekeep?

I've still got that hologram that was on the box.

Neitzl 01-04-14 01:51 PM

I think I still have the game in parents basement. What a disappointment that game was to me. I think it was delayed a long time too, due to production problems, or something. It just didn't turn out right, and I had such high hopes for it.

Trevor 01-04-14 02:06 PM

This thread makes me want to play the Eye of the Beholder series again.

Into the Shadow 03-17-14 01:02 AM

I signed up just to answer your question, because I immediately knew what you were talking about. I've never forgotten it: Into the Shadows.

It's on youtube as "Into The Shadows (PC) - Demo" (I cannot post full links, but you can find it at the usual youtube URL + /watch?v=r9_VWGyQ2vY

If you ever want to run it yourself, I believe the exe was called itsdemo.exe (looks like it's still available on google if you search that string + "into the shadows". That's how impressed I was by it at the time... never forgotten it in more than a decade.

Have fun :)

bdshort 03-17-14 02:18 AM

I sent you a quick reply to your email since that's what I saw first but just wanted to let everyone know this is what I was thinking of. As soon as I saw the name I knew it was right. I remember how incredible it looked when it was new, and I recall wondering if there would ever be an actual game made. Despite looking fairly primitive now, some of the animation still holds up pretty well.