DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 2015) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/615892-dying-light-dead-island-devs-ps3-ps4-pc-xbox-360-xbox-one-feb-2015-a.html)

K&AJones 12-10-13 12:44 PM

Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 2015)

<iframe src="http://www.gamespot.com/videos/embed/6413106/" width="640" height="400" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

You can see some of "Dead Island in this but the details are pretty good. Game will be in 1080P. At the 7:30 mark it gets a bit interesting as it turns into night.

Groucho 12-10-13 12:48 PM

re: Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 2015)

I cried.

Deftones 12-10-13 12:52 PM

Re: PS4 - Daylight from Dead Island Dev's

Um, it's called Dying Light and it's not PS4 exclusive.

Brent L 12-10-13 01:04 PM

re: Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 2015)

I saw a bunch of footage of this one on that horrible VGX show. From what I saw there it killed any interest I had in this game. It just felt so disorienting while watching the footage and just reminds me of Dead Island meets, say, Mirrors Edge. I love ME, but I'm no fan of the Dead Island series at all. It visually looks great, but the gameplay looks repetitive and boring as hell to me. Something seems off about it, the hit detection or something, I'm not sure. I want to like it, but I'll wait for reviews before deciding for sure, but so far I'm not too high on it anymore.

M Polo 12-10-13 01:55 PM

Re: PS4 - Daylight from Dead Island Dev's

Yup, incoming on X1 as well.

Groucho 12-10-13 02:02 PM

Somehow there were two identical threads on this. I've merged them.

lopper 12-10-13 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 11940575)
I saw a bunch of footage of this one on that horrible VGX show. From what I saw there it killed any interest I had in this game. It just felt so disorienting while watching the footage and just reminds me of Dead Island meets, say, Mirrors Edge. I love ME, but I'm no fan of the Dead Island series at all. It visually looks great, but the gameplay looks repetitive and boring as hell to me. Something seems off about it, the hit detection or something, I'm not sure. I want to like it, but I'll wait for reviews before deciding for sure, but so far I'm not too high on it anymore.

Same here...kinda. I actually liked Dead Island, but I don't know that I want to play it again, even with all the free running nonsense.

I'll wait for reviews as well, but right now it's not on my must buy list.

maxfisher 12-10-13 03:20 PM

Looks like a good time to me. FYI, Best Buy added this to their $10 RZ cert promo for preordering, along with Destiny, Watch Dogs, Elder Scrolls Online & South Park, as long as you preorder before 12/31. I went ahead and ordered it (and all of the others). Figured I'd lock in the post-promo and GCU $38 price and then cancel if something unsells me on it.

Decker 12-10-13 03:29 PM

Am I the only one completely disenfranchised with zombie games in general? I much prefer shooting smart, able-bodied bad guys who move in regular fashion rather than smashing in the heads of hordes of mindless lumbering zombies again and again. Seriously, I don't know if it's just me (I really never hear other folks complaining about it, so it might be just me), but the excessive gore and mindless repetition of unsatisfying zombie mutilation really bums me out and I just don't enjoy the entire sub-genre.
Taking out a deadly enemy sniper on the other side of a cityscape before he can get you? That's awesome in my book. Hitting yet another zombie over the head with a shovel until he drops? Not so much.

mattysemo247 12-10-13 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by maxfisher (Post 11940767)
Looks like a good time to me. FYI, Best Buy added this to their $10 RZ cert promo for preordering, along with Destiny, Watch Dogs, Elder Scrolls Online & South Park, as long as you preorder before 12/31. I went ahead and ordered it (and all of the others). Figured I'd lock in the post-promo and GCU $38 price and then cancel if something unsells me on it.

Where is the new list at? All I see are the ones that they already removed from the program (AC4, BF4, etc).

maxfisher 12-10-13 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 11940829)
Where is the new list at? All I see are the ones that they already removed from the program (AC4, BF4, etc).

If you log in to MyBestBuy, it's under the list of offers. For some reason it's included under the general program, not under GCU.

MoviePage 12-10-13 06:31 PM

Loved Dead Island. This will probably be a day one purchase.

Music 12-10-13 07:06 PM

Pre-Order and Purchase and Get Rewarded
Pre-order like a Groucho and get $10 in reward certificates for each select game you pre-order and purchase.
Offer expires: 12/31/2013
Take part in this My Best Buy exclusive offer. Pre-order and purchase select games and get $10 per game in reward certificates.1

Qualifying Titles

South Park: Stick of Truth
The Elder Scrolls Online
Dying Light
Destiny
Watch_Dogs

See qualifying game street dates, minimum age and other requirements at BestBuy.com®.

mattysemo247 12-10-13 07:15 PM

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm going to preorder Destiny and Watch_Dogs. They don't hit your card until it ships or ready for store pickup though, right?

Groucho 12-10-13 07:38 PM

Misread that as "pre-order like a chump". :lol:

Music 12-10-13 07:44 PM

Yes... I can see how you would make that mistake... :sarcasm:

DthRdrX 12-10-13 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 11940781)
Am I the only one completely disenfranchised with zombie games in general? I much prefer shooting smart, able-bodied bad guys who move in regular fashion rather than smashing in the heads of hordes of mindless lumbering zombies again and again. Seriously, I don't know if it's just me (I really never hear other folks complaining about it, so it might be just me), but the excessive gore and mindless repetition of unsatisfying zombie mutilation really bums me out and I just don't enjoy the entire sub-genre.
Taking out a deadly enemy sniper on the other side of a cityscape before he can get you? That's awesome in my book. Hitting yet another zombie over the head with a shovel until he drops? Not so much.

I just wish they would make a zombie game based more around exploration and basic survival needs. It would be something different for a change. This game looks interesting to me but the night part looks like it is going to be frustrating to find your way out.

mattysemo247 12-11-13 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11941089)

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, but if you see a better offer than $47.99 + a $10 reward cert please let us know.

Music 12-11-13 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Music (Post 11941051)
Pre-Order and Purchase and Get Rewarded
Pre-order like a Groucho and get $10 in reward certificates for each select game you pre-order and purchase.

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11941089)

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 11941483)
Not sure what that's supposed to mean, but if you see a better offer than $47.99 + a $10 reward cert please let us know.

It is very easy for that to happen... he wasn't being negative...

mattysemo247 12-11-13 03:42 PM

:lol:

I'm not sure how I missed that

Oliver Clothesoff 12-11-13 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 11941060)
Thanks guys. Looks like I'm going to preorder Destiny and Watch_Dogs. They don't hit your card until it ships or ready for store pickup though, right?

actual I'm pretty sure they'll hit your card with a temp charge on a monthly basis just to ensure funds are still available. it may be more frequent than that... it's been a while since I preordered anything from Best Buy.

mattysemo247 12-11-13 09:56 PM

I'm OK with a temp charge. I just don't want to be charged now for a game that doesn't come out for 9 months.

chuckd21 05-08-14 11:25 AM

Delayed to February 2015. :(

Dan 05-08-14 12:12 PM

Re: Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 201

Balls! I never did get around to DI: Riptide, but I had a lot of fun with Dead Island. Hopefully the delay means some significant improvements. I'm still looking forward to this one.

K&AJones 10-06-14 09:42 AM

Re: Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 201

Be The Zombie trailer.....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/V3RfeSKSk_g?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gerrythedon 10-28-14 08:43 PM

Light Goes Out on Xbox 360 Version of Dying Light
No longer coming to the older console

One of the great debates that has been stirred up in recent months is one over just what we should call the Xbox 360 and One in terms of their generations. After all, it doesn't seem right to call the One next gen when, well, it's already here.

It seems, however, that we're getting more and more evidence that the 'last gen' moniker will soon firmly affix itself to the Xbox 360, as games are moving toward either having exclusive features on the newer console or, even worse, not getting released on the older console at all.

The distinction between developing for current and last gen has, sadly, claimed the Xbox 360 version of Dying Light, which has officially been canceled. Developer, Techland, offered the following rationale behind the decision.

Dear Gamers,
As you probably know, we’re wrapping up the development of Dying Light, our biggest and most ambitious project to date. We spent the last three years making sure that all the features of our game add up to create a truly next-gen experience.

Much of this “next-gen feel” is tightly connected to the technological side of Dying Light. For instance, up to 200 000 objects can be displayed in the game at once. Add to this our use of realistic, physics-based lighting technology and you really start to push the next-gen systems to the limits. Features like these along with our core gameplay pillars – such as the player-empowering Natural Movement, threefold character development system, and vast open world – are all an inherent part of how Dying Light plays. However, combining all of these into one fluid experience is only possible on technologically advanced platforms.

Therefore, after thorough internal testing, we have come to the conclusion that we have no choice but to leave past-gen systems behind and release Dying Light exclusively on the next-gen consoles and PC. Put simply, older consoles just couldn’t run the game and stay true to the core vision of Dying Light at the same time.

To ensure you enjoy Dying Light as much as we would like you to, we chose to release it without any compromises on the three strongest systems available. Thanks to this, you’ll get the full and best experience regardless of the platform you play on.

We hope you understand the hard choice we’ve had to make. With the launch just around the corner, we can’t wait to show you Dying Light in the state it was meant to be. We’re looking forward to your reactions and impressions as we release the game in January 2015.

http://www.trueachievements.com/n186...ying-light.htm

dsa_shea 10-28-14 08:49 PM

We need more lights going out on last gen games so they can focus all the resources of creating titles for this current generation of systems.

Barth 10-28-14 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 12284861)
We need more lights going out on last gen games so they can focus all the resources of creating titles for this current generation of systems.

While I agree to some extent, the install base for the 360 compared to the One is going to limit its selling numbers.

The One's game library is growing, which is good, but it doesn't have its system seller yet. Dying Light isn't going to be that game either.

mhg83 10-28-14 10:05 PM

If next year's Call Of Duty is current gen only they will get those console numbers up.

MoviePage 10-29-14 01:10 AM

The article is Xbox-centric but the cancellation applies to Sony consoles as well.

K&AJones 10-29-14 07:23 AM

People complain that some games don't look nex gen and that's because when DEVs develope a game for both gen systems that have to write muliple codes since the 360 is different from PS3, PS3 is different from PS4 and XO is different from 360. By focusing on Next gen studios can use more resources and provide a better game. Case in point is Ubisoft with Assassins Creed Unity. It's based on an all new engine for next gen systems and couldn't be made for 360 & PS3. Plus DEVS see the sales numbers coming in on the amount of PS4 & XO being sold so it's a no brainer especially come the Holiday season coming.

chuckd21 10-29-14 12:05 PM

Thread title update.

K&AJones 12-06-14 09:09 AM

Pretty good video and seems to be more to the game than just killing zombies....

Dying Light's New Story Trailer Is Brash, Brooding, and Beautiful

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2014/..._and_beautiful

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/l1YSxalaoSU?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OldBoy 12-06-14 09:32 AM

well, that certainly doesn't look bad...

dsa_shea 12-06-14 12:33 PM

I tried to watch that video but yet again it is another one of those youtube videos that loads forever. It just sits and spins. Why the hell do some youtube videos do that? I have had to resort to actually downloading the videos that do this to my computer to be able to watch them. It is so frustrating.

DRG 12-08-14 10:55 AM

That new trailer gives me a Far Cry vibe. I enjoyed Dead Island despite its faults, so I'm curious how similar this will end up being. DI was a blast for the first third, but I found myself liking it less with each new location that opened up. I also thought the way they went about having the zombies level with you just made the game more tedious and frustrating (instead of adding difficulty in a good way).

Groucho 12-08-14 11:00 AM

Yeah, the scaling leveling was what kept me from finishing Dead Island. Normally with this type of game, if an area is too difficult, you come back when you're more powerful. Not possible with Dead Island.

K&AJones 01-09-15 09:38 AM

We're about two weeks away from release (27th) and seeing what interest is out there and who is in. Having played and loved the L4D games I'm getting closer to going ahead and doing a preorder since I have a $15 credit on the Sony Store.

Official Site - http://dyinglightgame.com/

foxdvd 01-09-15 10:06 AM

I enjoyed the dead island games especially as coop games. I am really looking forward to this, but I am not happy about is the asymmetrical multiplayer they are forcing on us. I am not sure how much they are going to force this, but the night time they have real people invade your game and attack you sort of like left 4 dead. I have no problem with this when I chose to play a multiplayer mode, but in a single player or coop game with my friends I don't want to be forced into this. You had a bit of this in Watch Dogs and it drove me nuts, so I disabled it.

I hope they will allow you to disable this feature, but a recent ign interview they not only bragged about this feature, they even said you are pushed into doing them since some missions require you to do them at night and also some supplies for equipment can only be found during these invasions. I guess as we get closer we will get more information, but since I plan on cooping this I can't just turn off my network connection to avoid it.

dsa_shea 01-09-15 10:11 AM

^I didn't know that. Ugh if it is true.