DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Dust has settled a bit....which console are you most impressed with? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/615864-dust-has-settled-bit-console-you-most-impressed.html)

wlj 12-09-13 01:04 PM

Dust has settled a bit....which console are you most impressed with?

Ok, the dust has settled a bit. I know alot of you guys purchased a Xbox One and PS4. Which console have you been most impressed by?

Adam Tyner 12-09-13 01:09 PM

Re: Dust has settled a bit....which console are you most impressed with?

I've spent more time with my PS4 thus far, but I think a lot of that has to do with the types of games I've bought for it...they're more linear than the two Xbox One games I have, and I feel more compelled to knock those out first. (Super Mario 3D World coming out the same day as the Xbox One sure didn't help either.) I've finished all 3 of my PS4 retail games and at least got to the end credits in Super Mario 3D World, so now it's off to escape into Dead Rising 3.

Liver&Onions 12-09-13 01:14 PM

Only have spent time with one of them, so naturally that's the one I'm more impressed with. Ergo, abstaining from voting.

RichC2 12-09-13 01:28 PM

At this point, I'm more impressed with the PS4. That said it's a pretty narrow margin, and I expect the Xbox One to have some cool apps that won't exist on the PS4.

So too close to call for now.

Noonan 12-09-13 01:42 PM

I've only used a One at a friend's place so I won't vote but what's impressed me most is the Vita remote play now that I have it working better (connecting the PS4 via wired made a HUGE difference.) I prefer the UI of the PS4 but that's purely personal preference and not an indication that one is better than the other.

Groucho 12-09-13 01:45 PM

I only have a PS4, because it really only makes sense for me to buy one console this year. So I voted "Xbox One".

RichC2 12-09-13 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind (Post 11939327)
The one with backwards compatibility.

I'm choosing to read this as The [Xbox] One with backwards compatibility [Xbox 360 plugged into HDMI-in], No Wii U for you!

Dan 12-09-13 01:52 PM

I only have one of the consoles, so I'm not voting.
That said, I played the shit out of OctoDad at Target one day. That's a system-seller right there!

Supermallet 12-09-13 01:53 PM

The Wii U has really impressed in the past few months, but your attempts to insert a mention of it into every thread is becoming really tiresome. We know you love it. This isn't a thread about it. Stop.

starseed1981 12-09-13 01:55 PM

The PS4.

Groucho 12-09-13 01:57 PM

Ain't Gaikai grand?

Adam Tyner 12-09-13 02:12 PM

It would be nice if the PS4 and Xbox One were backwards compatible. It'd let me play games I'm only just now getting, like The Last of Us, or ones I didn't give enough love to earlier, like Puppeteer, on my main home theater without having to have a 4th or 5th console connected. Still, I can't relate to that being at the top of anyone's list of priorities, especially since the Wii U's implementation of backwards compatibility is pretty lousy.

taffer 12-09-13 02:26 PM

PC rules. :banana: It has the ultimate backwards compatibility. It will play 20+ year old games. Suck on that, Sony and MS.

Michael Corvin 12-09-13 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11939323)
I only have a PS4, because it really only makes sense for me to buy one console this year. So I voted "Xbox One".

Rational. Gamer. Nuff. Said.

fujishig 12-09-13 03:55 PM

My Xbox One is still in the box (that's more due to lack of time). My PS4 has games that are buggy and/or not as full featured as the last gen's version of the same game, isn't able to be controlled by my Harmony remote (while this is a small thing, it's really hard to use as my featured Blu-ray player if I have to use the controller), and won't play 3D Blu rays. But hey, my "friends" can see what games I played, so there's that. Not impressed by either at the moment.

Decker 12-09-13 04:42 PM

I have both. Neither is blowing me away (or blowing me at all, disappointingly).
I like the PS4's layout better. It's a more easily navigable UI. But both systems seem pretty similar to me at this point. They play almost all the same games, look pretty much the same and little looks so amazing over previous gen that it's worth the upgrade at this point.
To be fair though, I only keep the Kinect in the closet and hooked to the 360 instead of the cable box. I think if you're not using the Kinect integration of your home entertainment system, you're really not maximizing the potential of the system and you're not going to get your money's worth out of it. So I guess what I'm saying is : if you don't intend to (or can't) hook your cable box to your one as an integrated, Kinect-enabled home entertainment solution, I think you'd be better served saving $100 and buying a PS4 (unless you just couldn't live without Titanfall).

chuckd21 12-09-13 05:10 PM

Xbox games are better, PS4 console is better. So I voted for the tie.

bluetoast 12-09-13 09:01 PM

I don't think the dust will settle for another year.

Mok 12-09-13 09:07 PM

Like the ps4 interface much more, XB1 dash is just to slow.

nasesco417 12-09-13 09:39 PM

Steam Machine yo

spainlinx0 12-10-13 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 11939372)
It would be nice if the PS4 and Xbox One were backwards compatible. It'd let me play games I'm only just now getting, like The Last of Us, or ones I didn't give enough love to earlier, like Puppeteer, on my main home theater without having to have a 4th or 5th console connected. Still, I can't relate to that being at the top of anyone's list of priorities, especially since the Wii U's implementation of backwards compatibility is pretty lousy.

I skipped the PS3 last generation, and I have only purchased the PS4 this generation, and if there were backwards compatibility I would probably have purchased quite a few last gen games I never got around to playing.

Raul3 12-10-13 08:28 AM

Only have the Xbox One, and yeah, the UI is a mess right now. Some parts remind me of the PS3 UI, the really bad parts.

And there are more features broken, or changed, that I don't use, that a lot of people are complaining in the forums.

Other than that, I love how fast it is. Switching between games, applications, TV, etc. is really fast. I still play my PS3 and 360, so I notice the difference.

Also, the Xbox One is really quiet, and ventilated. Last Sunday it was on almost all day, and by the end of the day it wasn't even warm. I can't say the same about either the 360 or the PS3.

wlj 07-28-14 07:54 AM

I am going to bump my thread from back in December to see everyone's opinions now. The 2 systems have been out for several months now so owners should have a more informed opinion now. I don't have either so I can't comment much on them. I just know most owners from what I have read are pretty "whatever" right now with the next gen systems. I am interested to hear everyone's thoughts. Were they released to early? The PS3/360 still seem to be going strong with games that are still impressive. The jump in visuals hasn't been that big. :)

mattysemo247 07-28-14 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by wlj (Post 12181751)
The jump in visuals hasn't been that big. :)

Go play Infamous SS or watch the gameplay demo of The Order and then get back to us :)

chess 07-28-14 08:32 AM

I voted "too soon".

I think the PS4 has better hardware and interface, and they haven't had to deviate from their vision really at all. I also think they were smart to tie themselves to the two biggest new IPs this year (Destiny/Watch Dogs), and their indie strategy was damn smart. But they have been slow with meaningful firmware updates (3D Blu, MP3, media streaming), and their first party exclusives have been largely underwhelming. The only highlights thus far have been Infamous, which wasn't as good as most hoped it would be (gorgeous though) and MLB The Show. And I can't imagine what they'd be doing this fall if it weren't for the Driveclub delay, which turned out to be a good thing all around.

The XB1 has decent hardware, but not as good as PS4, and I'm not a fan of the Win 8 style interface. They've also had to reverse course on almost all of their vision for the box, even in the past few weeks with the closing of their TV studios. That's all for the best, but it hardly inspires confidence and certainly isn't "impressive". On the upside, they've moved swiftly with firmware updates, and I think they probably get a slight edge on exclusives with Forza and Titanfall being the highlights. They also seem to finally be moving in the right direction, and I don't think anybody should count them out, even if they are currently getting curb stomped.

With due respect to OP and Supermallet, WiiU should be in the poll, and it would rightly get a vote or two. I might have voted for it based on software alone (because the hardware is terrible).

So basically the PS4 is killing it right now, but MS has done a good job on the software front, so I'm not prepared to count them out just yet.