Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PC Gaming Thread

Old 01-03-17, 11:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: PC Gaming Thread

I pushed Steam Returns pretty hard over the holidays.

*) Doom - Returned. I wasn't looking for unreal tournament.
*) Helldivers - Returned. Twin stick couch coop. The "gotta reload every 1.5 seconds" thing was pretty lame, even if the universe was cool.
*) Kentucky Route Zero. Returned. Not a fucking game. An interactive storybook. Crrepy, atmospheric, but not a fucking game. And I STILL like Zork. I tried this since it was on several "bests" lists.
*) The Witness. Returned. Yes, it's better than Myst. But it's still mindless puzzles. And I don't give a fuck about the experience or message. Tried because it was on several "bests lists.
*) Overcooked. Returned. Another couch coop. Sluggish controls ruined the experience.
*) Renegade Ops. Returned. Another couch coop. Another of the twin stick not fun shooters.
*) Dying Light. Returned. 6 hour long intro. Lame parkour. I just didn't care.
*) Party Saboteurs. Returned. Couch competitive. Not as good as Hidden in Plain sight. The graphics are better, but the game modes of HIPS are better.
*) Miner Warfare. Returned. Couch competitive. Sluggish and a concept better implemented in the better couch games.

Papers Please was fun as a family watch & comment game.
Hidden in Plain Sight is GREAT fun for couch multiplayer.
Darkest Dungeon is nice, but a bit slow. I ended up keeping it.
CoD: World at War (solo play) was also a keeper.

Anyway, the ability to return games has made it MUCH easier for me to invest some cash in a game to try and find something fun for me. I think I'm spending more on games because I'm no longer afraid I'm going to get burned by something shitty, unfun, and expensive.
Old 01-05-17, 03:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Free Mass Effect 2 at Origin.
https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/sto...andard-edition
Old 01-07-17, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Even at 2560x1440, the big images on this page annoy me (since I usually do side by side browser windows).

Originally Posted by bryce0lynch
I pushed Steam Returns pretty hard over the holidays.

*) Doom - Returned. I wasn't looking for unreal tournament.
Weird. Even though the new Doom game didn't do much for me (still need to finish it) I'm not sure UT is the comparison that comes to my mind.
Old 01-07-17, 05:27 AM

You're right, but it's the best I had. I guess I was referring to the very fast paced twitch FPS experience. There's also an element of "enter a room, door locks, monsters show up, run around killing them" that doesn't match UT.

I recognize this is a thing. It's not the Stalker/Far Cry experience that I'm looking for.
Old 02-01-17, 08:28 AM

I finally got around to Bioshock Infinite.

I found the controls .. sluggish? There's a lot of money and resources ... no real challenge there. Too many set-piece like combats and very linear. The cut scenes and ... programmed video stuff (mini-cut scenes?) REALLY drove me nuts in this. Couldn't stand it.

On the plus side I think they had a decent idea with the girl in combat. Not enough choices/options, but I get, and like, where they were going with it. While I HATED The cut-scene like stuff I thought they did an EXCELLENT job or giving both her and your character nice arcs DURING the game. All of the little stuff and comments they made over the course of the games. In contract, I found the cut-scene shit/narrative quite weak.

Plus, it was fun executing all the bigots, armed or not.

I give it a 7/10.
Old 02-03-17, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Bought Ark: Survival Evolved and the Scorched Earth expansion pack this week. $17 for the pair. A couple of friends at work also bought it and one of them is setting up a private server so we don't have to play on the public ones, where apparently you get wrecked on a regular basis. Should be fun.
Old 03-30-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Thimbleweed Park is out today! http://store.steampowered.com/app/569860/
Old 03-30-17, 12:13 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

^ I'm buying that for sure. I contributed to the library (along with about 1000 other random people), so it'll be fun to find that, and also it just looks like a damn fun game.
Old 03-30-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Reviews look pretty good so far, 85 on Metacritic 20 reviews in.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/thimbleweed-park

Love these old adventure games and Ron Gilbert, so i'll probably buy this. Looks more of what I hoped Broken Age would be.

EDIT: Just noticed this is an XBox Play Anywhere title. I might go that route.

Q: Will the game be play anywhere on Windows 10 and Xbox?
A: Yes. If you bought the game on Xbox or via the Windows 10 Store. The Windows Store version will release a few weeks after Steam/Xbox.
Also, I'd love to play this type of game on the Switch

Last edited by fumanstan; 03-30-17 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-30-17, 12:54 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Also, I'd love to play this type of game on the Switch
No port-begging!!!

Spoiler:
I totally would, too, though.
Old 03-31-17, 11:02 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

So, is anyone else actually playing Thimbleweed Park yet?

I'm already stuck!
As Deloris,
Spoiler:
I can't figure out how to re-ink the ink ribbon. Any hints?

I'm playing on easy for my first round. Will do the tougher mode on my second try.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying it. I sent in a story for the library sometime last year, but I haven't been able to find it in there yet, and I'm not sure how to get the computer in that room to search for it.
Old 04-03-17, 10:35 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I completed Thimbleweed Park on easy (Casual). It was a lot of fun... and so frustrating in certain parts until the solution just 'clicked' so to speak. My only tip is, if it doesn't seem like there's a direct solution to a specific problem, move on to something else, as the solution might come up later.

I'm going to start a Hard run eventually; probably when it hits the Windows 10 store, since I bought it on XBox, and it's one of those "play anywhere" titles. I've already read that the puzzles are way more complicated in hard mode, but I'm up for the challenge.

Definitely worth the $20 I spent.
Old 04-04-17, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

^Regarding difficulty levels. Does anyone know if playing on an easier difficulty level kind of "spoils" the higher difficulty levels, or are the solutions significantly different?
Old 04-04-17, 08:32 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

They are significantly different. I've read a few spoilers for some of the puzzles and... yeah... they're way more complex, and involve items/interactions that are almost completely different. At least, that's how it was for the ones I read about. I'm sure some, by design, have to be similar, but I wouldn't worry too much about easy mode spoiling hard mode.
Old 04-04-17, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Cool, thanks. Alright, I'll exercise my old-school adventure game muscles on the casual mode first.
Old 05-18-17, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Anyone here game in 1440? Used a bit of my tax return and treated myself to a GTX 1070 and a new monitor. I'll be going from 1080 60hz to 1440 165hz IPS panel with G-Sync. How big of an improvement in visuals are I in for?
Old 05-18-17, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Noonan
Anyone here game in 1440? Used a bit of my tax return and treated myself to a GTX 1070 and a new monitor. I'll be going from 1080 60hz to 1440 165hz IPS panel with G-Sync. How big of an improvement in visuals are I in for?
I do, I've had an ASUS PG278Q monitor for some time now. I had been using a 2560x1440 monitor prior so there wasn't a resolution bump for me, but with the higher refresh rate and GSync everything is just a lot smoother without any tearing. It's pretty great in that regard.
Old 05-18-17, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Great. Looking forward to setting it all up. I went with the Viewsonic XG2703-GS. Should arrive next Wed.
Old 06-22-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Steam summer sale has started!

Store's going to be a mess for awhile and it'll probably take a couple hours for all the prices to propagate.
Old 06-22-17, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah, been looking at it. I have about 20 games on my wish list and none of them are on sale.

EDIT: I take that back. Picked up Portal and Portal 2 for $2.37 incl tax. Happy with that !

Last edited by Phodg; 06-22-17 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-23-17, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I haven't bought anything so far, but I've at least added Homeworld Remastered and Homeworld Deserts of Kharak to my cart. I'll be getting those two at least.
Old 06-23-17, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So bad opened ended question here....

I really only go on Steam twice a year during the sales to purchase quirky indie games. Right now in my cart I have things like: Pony Island, Always Sometimes Monsters, Kindergarten and Undertale. Does anyone have any other recommendations (I like all genres)? I don't really keep up with the PC gaming scene so any feedback is appreciated.
Old 06-23-17, 11:01 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ I loved Pony Island and Undertale. Haven't played the others you have listed there.

Super Win The Game is quite good. Plays kind of like Zelda II on the NES, and has the best CRT filter settings in a game I've ever seen. That dev has a new game called Gunmetal Arcadia, which I haven't played yet.
Hotline Miami is great. Haven't played #2 yet.
I also enjoyed games such as VVVVVV, Thomas Was Alone, and Thimbleweed Park.
Old 06-23-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you like Point and click adventure games I can recommend the following:

The 5 Blackwell games. The first 4 are in a bundle for $5 and the 5th has to be purchased separately
Resonance
Gemini Rue
Primordia
Technobabylon
The Silent Age
Anna's Quest

Haven't played it yet. but Oxenfree is supposed to be good.

Some other interesting games (maybe they're quirky, maybe not):

Papers, Please
Cook, Serve, Delicious!
The Stanley Parable
Please, Don't Touch Anything
Botanicula (all of the Amanita Design games are wonderful)

If you like puzzle games I highly recommend the Hexcells games. They're minesweeper-like games, but with more advanced mechanics. The 3-game bundle can be had for less than $3.
Old 06-23-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you guys.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.