Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PC Gaming Thread

Old 03-14-15, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: PC Gaming Thread

Yes, 1080p at 60 fps is pretty doable for most games with that kind of hardware.
Old 03-14-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Depending on how tight you are with the budget, the only thing i'd worry about on the specs for "Great" is the i3 CPU, as I personally think moving to a quad core i5 will provide a lot more longevity and performance.
Old 03-14-15, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,038 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
What settings do you use on most games and what framerate do you get?

1080p is fine with me. I don't foresee myself being a higher res TV anytime soon. By the time I buy a new TV, my PC will most certainly be obsolete by then anyway.

I don't necessarily care about maxing everything out. I just want something that is at least a little better than the PS4/XOne. If I can get near 60 fps at 1080p on med-high settings I will be happy.

The PC I am looking to maybe build is the one listed here under the "Great" row for $631.

Thanks for your help guys.
At 1080p I get 30 - 60 fps depending on the game (I usually aim for 45 or higher FPS and usually get it) on High or Ultra settings. I normally just follow nVidia's recommendations.

Oh yeah, stuff has gotten easier these days and Nvidia and ATI have programs that automatically pick out the best performance / quality trade-off as per the developers recommendations. For example, they recommend Ultra everything, 1080p, and 4x MSAA (form of anti-aliasing) for Battlefield 4, which runs very smoothly on here though I haven't actually looked at the FPS on that one. Assassin's Creed: Black Flag usually ran in the 40s maxed/1080p as long as AA wasn't cranked up on the ship sequences (there are a lot of lines to anti-aliasize on those sequences), the console counter parts stuck at 30 even. And again, this is the 760, not the 960.

I'm a nerd for framerate, but only in the sense that I want to play my game at the intended speed with no hiccups whatsoever. And I've been very happy with the results thus far.
Old 03-14-15, 09:18 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Depending on how tight you are with the budget, the only thing i'd worry about on the specs for "Great" is the i3 CPU, as I personally think moving to a quad core i5 will provide a lot more longevity and performance.
Yeah, that is something I definitely want to upgrade on that build. Dual core is pretty old now. Even the PS4/XOne are more than dual core.

Another question I just thought of is regarding a controller. I think the Xbox 360 controller works with most modern games, is that correct? I think the Xbox One controller does too, right? Which controller is better? I'm not sure of how different they are. I think the One has a different d-pad and bumpers/triggers, but that's all I know.

That's another thing that has puzzled me is the name of the new Xbox. Why in the heck is it called Xbox One? It should be Xbox Three.
Old 03-14-15, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Yeah, that is something I definitely want to upgrade on that build. Dual core is pretty old now. Even the PS4/XOne are more than dual core.

Another question I just thought of is regarding a controller. I think the Xbox 360 controller works with most modern games, is that correct? I think the Xbox One controller does too, right? Which controller is better? I'm not sure of how different they are. I think the One has a different d-pad and bumpers/triggers, but that's all I know.

That's another thing that has puzzled me is the name of the new Xbox. Why in the heck is it called Xbox One? It should be Xbox Three.
Because Microsoft marketing is stupid, and since the XBox 2 was called the XBox 360, naming it the XBox Three would have been confusing. Or something.

As far as controllers, I use the 360 controller on my PC and it works excellent with just about any game that supports it which is most ports these days (right down to the on screen buttons in the config matching that of the 360). As an owner of an XBox One as well, the One controller ergonomics are a bit different, namely with the triggers and bumpers like you said. I'm not sure if either is necessarily better, probably depends on feel and whatever you get used to and personal preference. It's kind of a push for me, probably couldn't go wrong with either one.
Old 03-14-15, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I use the Xbox 360 controller as well (and prefer it to the Xbox One controller). The Xbox One was supposed to be named as an "All-in-One" entertainment console, I don't think they tested it with gamers though
Old 03-14-15, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 654 Likes on 504 Posts

Did they ever add wireless support for the Xbox One controller on PC? Because last I read it doesn't recognize the wireless 360 adapter for PC.
Old 03-15-15, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

An adapter was announced recently, no idea when it will be actually released though. Apparently this year.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/28928...ndows-pcs.html
Old 03-15-15, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

An adapter was announced recently, no idea when it will be actually released though. Apparently this year.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/28928...ndows-pcs.html
Awesome. I hope it's backwards compatible with the 360 controller since its wireless adaptor has become harder to find.

I recently had to replace mine when a modem (heavier than it looks) fell on the USB plug of the wireless adapter. I was able to fix it but the resulting fit was too snug for my liking (I was afraid the strain would gradually break the USB port).
Old 03-15-15, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They sell a lot of knock off receivers for the X360 controller (ie: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...4487-_-Product )
Old 03-18-15, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently they have the Pi 2 streaming nVidia's Limelight now:

http://www.pcgamer.com/turning-the-r...-streaming-pc/

That's an awesome use for the little $35 Pi 2. I hope Valve will follow.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NagoUwsrBLQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by RichC2; 03-18-15 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

If I get a streaming box, I'll probably just wait for Steam Link in November.
Old 03-18-15, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't expect it to be lag free or compression artifact free even with a wired connection. I know Nvidia claimed their solution will be lag free, but frankly, they are full of shit, it's been their M.O. for many years now.

I tried the Steam streaming stuff a few months ago with Borderlands and noticed lots of compression artifacts and a small amount of lag, and this was with a wired gigabit connection.
Old 03-18-15, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't buy that any sort of streaming will ever be lag free.
Old 03-18-15, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It won't be, you can't even go from a game console to certain TVs without lag.

Acceptable lag is another thing, while I don't think "streaming" will ever be good for CoD fiends, it works great for single player games.
Old 03-18-15, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think "acceptable lag" is going to be something that varies not only from game to game but player to player. Personally for any fast paced game, any lag is unacceptable for me, and only for some RTS/TBS games would possibly a minimal amount of lag be tolerable.

Rich, have you tried any of the streaming solutions? I'm no CoD fiend, but I found the lag when I tried Borderlands to be unbearable. Like I said, something like a strategy game might not be so bad, but anything remotely fast paced is going to be very noticeable. The compression artifacts was another huge flaw, but I bet that gets better (and probably has already improved greatly).
Old 03-18-15, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by flashburn
I think "acceptable lag" is going to be something that varies not only from game to game but player to player. Personally for any fast paced game, any lag is unacceptable for me, and only for some RTS/TBS games would possibly a minimal amount of lag be tolerable.

Rich, have you tried any of the streaming solutions? I'm no CoD fiend, but I found the lag when I tried Borderlands to be unbearable. Like I said, something like a strategy game might not be so bad, but anything remotely fast paced is going to be very noticeable. The compression artifacts was another huge flaw, but I bet that gets better (and probably has already improved greatly).
I only tried DmC so I can't comment but it was plenty responsive. I agree there was a degradation in video quality though that was unacceptable as a final product, especially when OnLive was just as responsive with better video. Alas that was a first gen beta for Steam, I'm going to try the nVidia solution this weekend.
Old 03-19-15, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Glad to see some more non-Star Wars LucasArts titles show up on GoG.com like Loom, Indiana Jones, Dig, and Outlaws. Hope more adventure games come.

http://www.gog.com/news/more_classic..._now_on_gogcom
Old 03-19-15, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Glad to see some more non-Star Wars LucasArts titles show up on GoG.com like Loom, Indiana Jones, Dig, and Outlaws. Hope more adventure games come.

Disney seems much more willing to license out the back catalog. The only one I don't expect to show up any time soon is Day of the Tentacle, since Double Fine is working on a remastered version of that game.
Old 03-19-15, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And Zack MaKracken!

Loom and The Dig were already on Steam though.
Old 03-19-15, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I honestly just want Curse of Monkey Island
Old 03-19-15, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
And Zack MaKracken!

Loom and The Dig were already on Steam though.
Yeah, there's a bundle with both Indiana Jones, Loom, and The Dig for $10. It's been there for quite awhile.

Edit: these last few posts have reminded me that I have both Monkey Island SEs and have yet to play them. Need to get on it!
Old 03-20-15, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

OOTP 16 comes out officially on (3-23-15). People who pre-ordered, its available today(3-20-15). Its a MLB Licensed(first time ever for OOTP) baseball slim game.
Old 03-29-15, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm sure it's not the alpha/beta that people wanted from me, but if anyone is interested in Heroes of the Storm I have a few beta keys for anyone who wants them
Old 04-02-15, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dunno why I can't get the embed to work but here's a video of GTAV on PC at 60fps.

<iframe src="http://www.rockstargames.com/videoplayer?id=11267&locale=en_us" allowFullScreen style="width:640px; height:360px; border:none;"></iframe>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.