Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PC Gaming Thread

Old 03-01-15, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: PC Gaming Thread

GDC starts tomorrow... expect some VR news/demos from several companies.
Old 03-01-15, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lopper
Good on them for announcing when this thing will be released. Now let me see for how much. From what I've read so far comparing the Vive and Rift, I wouldn't be surprised if the Vive comes out significantly more expensive.
Hell will freeze over if the Vive is released by the end of the year.

We're still awaiting Steam Machines and the Steam Machine controller and that was due out two fucking years ago.
Old 03-01-15, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Hell will freeze over if the Vive is released by the end of the year.

We're still awaiting Steam Machines and the Steam Machine controller and that was due out two fucking years ago.
There's a big push right now for VR. Everyone (except Microsoft/Nintendo) is looking to be first. While I don't think it's likely that Valve's will be released this year, it's possible, and it is likely they shifted resources to focus on that project as a priority.
Old 03-02-15, 08:47 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

The GOG Double Insomnia sale has started. 80%+ discounts on two games at a time, selection changes as a set number of each is sold, so check frequently if you're interested in their titles.

Site is www GOG.com and the current selections are Bad Mojo Redux for $1.19 and Driftmoon for $2.19.
Old 03-03-15, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flashburn
There's a big push right now for VR. Everyone (except Microsoft/Nintendo) is looking to be first. While I don't think it's likely that Valve's will be released this year, it's possible, and it is likely they shifted resources to focus on that project as a priority.
There's a big push, but no concrete date by any company to release them at a consumer level. Again, I'd be surprised if we see them (or any VR headset) this year. Hell, I'd be surprised if we actually see Steam Machines this year.

Speaking of Steam Machines, CyberPower PC just announced their Syber division will release at least six Steam Machines this fall.

Originally Posted by Engadget
CyberPowerPC's original Steam Machine plans didn't amount to much (the company ultimately turned them into Windows boxes), but it's back again for another round. Its recently established Syber division has revealed that it will launch no less than six SteamOS computers this fall. The system builder isn't saying much about its new living room gaming rigs at the moment, but it'll give Game Developers Conference guests a sneak peek at three systems: the Mini, Mercury and Switch.

Whatever happens, this year's roster will be cheaper. The starting Steam Machine-E will cost $449 (down from last year's promised $499) with an entry-level AMD quad-core chip and unnamed NVIDIA graphics, while the $549 Steam Machine-P will kick that up to a 3.2GHz Intel Pentium and AMD Radeon R9 270X video. Performance-minded players will want to look at the Steam Machine-K, which touts a 3.5GHz Core i5 and NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 970 for $999, and there's even a special, eye-searing orange Steam Machine-X at $1,399. That's a lot to spend on hardware that will likely be a bit behind the curve by the fall, but it's good to see at least one notable PC maker that hasn't had second thoughts about backing Valve's TV gaming efforts.
http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/03/c...team-machines/
Old 03-03-15, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I may have spoken too soon.

Originally Posted by Valve
March 3, 2015 -- Valve announces a number of product and technologies at this week's Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco.

"We continue to see very strong growth in PC Gaming, with Steam growing 50% in the last 12 months," said Gabe Newell, Valve's president. "With these announcements we hope that we are helping build on that momentum."

Steam Machines, Windows PCs, Macs, and Linux PCs will be able to take advantage of a new product announced at GDC called Steam Link. Designed to extend your Steam experience to any room in the house, Steam Link allows you to stream all your Steam content from any PC or Steam Machine on the same home network. Supporting 1080p at 60Hz with low latency, Steam Link will be available this November for $49.99, and available with a Steam Controller for an additional $49.99 in the US (worldwide pricing to be released closer to launch).

Steam Machines from partners Alienware and Falcon Northwest are being shown, with Machines from a dozen other partners slated to release this November. Steam Machines will start at the same price point as game consoles, with higher performance. Customers interested in the best possible gaming experience can choose whichever components meet their needs. Epic will give a demonstration of the newly announced Unreal Tournament running on a 4K monitor driven by the Falcon Northwest Steam Machine. "We love this platform," said Tim Sweeney, founder of Epic Games. "Whether you're running incredibly detailed scenes at 4K or running 1080p at 120 FPS for an intense shooter experience, this brings world-class gaming and graphics to televisions with an open platform true to Valve's PC gaming roots."

Valve will show a virtual reality (VR) headset. Developer versions of the headset will be available this spring, and partner HTC will ship their Vive headset to consumers by the end of the year.

Two new technologies are part of the VR release - a room scale tracking system codenamed Lighthouse, and a VR input system. "In order to have a high quality VR experience, you need high resolution, high speed tracking," said Valve's Alan Yates. "Lighthouse gives us the ability to do this for an arbitrary number of targets at a low enough BOM cost that it can be incorporated into TVs, monitors, headsets, input devices, or mobile devices." Valve intends to make Lighthouse freely available to any hardware manufacturers interested in the technology.

"Now that we have Lighthouse, we have an important piece of the puzzle for tackling VR input devices," said Valve's Joe Ludwig. "The work on the Steam Controller gave us the base to build upon, so now we have touch and motion as integrated parts of the PC gaming experience."

"We've been working in VR for years and it was only until we used SteamVR's controllers and experienced the magic of absolute tracking that we were able to make the VR game we always wanted to make," said Alex Schwartz of Owlchemylabs.

VR demos being shown at GDC include work from Bossa Studios, Cloudhead Games, Dovetail Games, Fireproof Studios, Google, Owlchemylabs, Skillman & Hackett, Steel Wool Games, Vertigo Games, and Wevr.

Valve announced the Source 2 engine, the successor to the Source engine used in Valve's games since the launch of Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2. "The value of a platform like the PC is how much it increases the productivity of those who use the platform. With Source 2, our focus is increasing creator productivity. Given how important user generated content is becoming, Source 2 is designed not for just the professional developer, but enabling gamers themselves to participate in the creation and development of their favorite games," said Valve's Jay Stelly. "We will be making Source 2 available for free to content developers. This combined with recent announcements by Epic and Unity will help continue the PCs dominance as the premiere content authoring platform."

Also as part of supporting PC gaming, Valve announced that it will be releasing a Vulkan-compatible version of the Source 2 engine. Vulkan is a cross-platform, cross-vendor 3D graphics API that allows game developers to get the most out of the latest graphics hardware, and ensures hardware developers that there is a consistent, low overhead method of taking advantage of products. Vulkan, previously called Next Generation OpenGL, is administered by the Khronos Group, along with other standards such as OpenCL, OpenGL, and WebGL.

GDC 2015 will mark the 13th anniversary of Valve's first public announcement of Steam, which has since become the leading platform for PC, Mac, and Linux games and software. In the last year, Steam realized the addition of many new services and features - including In-Home Streaming, Broadcasting, Music, and user-created stores - as it grew to over 125 million active accounts worldwide.

For more information, please visit www.steampowered.com/universe

Steam Link

The Steam Link seems to be a small computer that you can hook up to your TV through HDMI. It has an Ethernet port so you can use Valve's in-home streaming without hiccups. There's also three USB ports to send input back to the PC you're streaming from. Steam Link will be available in November this year for $49.99. Steam Link on the Steam Store.

Source 2
Source 2 will be free to all content developers. There will also be Vulkan support in Source 2, we'll probably hear more about Vulkan (and Valve's involvement) in the upcoming GDC talk.
https://steamdb.info/blog/source2-announcement/

Steam Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/
Old 03-03-15, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Told ya so. :P
Old 03-03-15, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 654 Likes on 504 Posts

Can't wait to build yet another gaming rig!
Old 03-04-15, 11:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On a related front: I just did the biggest payoff build ever with a PC by building a "Steam Machine"/Console for the living room.

I had been fooling around with building a MAME cabinet for some time until it finally hit me: that's not what I want. What I want is for my wife and kids to sit around and play games together.

I bought 4 360 controllers with rechargeable batteries (the most expensive part of the console) , and took and old case+ps ($40) an old 50gig SSD (instant boot up) and old 1TB hard drive (game storage) and bought a $50 motherboard and a deilvs canyon cpu with 4gig of ram. Shoved Win7/64 on it and loaded a $50 video card. It was a NEW video card with the new GL/DX support, but the cheapest one I could find.

It's perfect. 4-player vs and co-op games run great, since they tend to not be graphics monsters. The modern CPU runs every emulator known to man at speed, meaning those libraries are available as well if you are so inclined. I put LaunchBox on it for $10.

The end result is that I have lured the teens out of their rooms and we now spend a LOT more time together.

Couch co-op/Couch Vs for the win!
Old 03-10-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been in Boston the last week for PAX East showing off Overwatch, what did I miss?
Old 03-10-15, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I think you missed sending me a alpha code for Overwatch.
Old 03-13-15, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Time to save those pennies.

Leak claims Nvidia’s Titan X will be almost as quick as the Titan Z, at a third of the price.

As we all know by now, last week Nvidia decided to take the opportunity at GDC to unveil the existence of its newest super-powered card, the Titan X.

Called “the most advanced GPU the world has ever seen” by the company’s CEO, Jen-Hsun Huang, at the tail-end of Epic’s Unreal Engine panel, the company was unwilling to share anything beyond a sneak peak at what we can expect. He said that the X would run on a stunning 8 billion transistors with 12GB of available onboard RAM, and left it at that.

Now, the enthusiast website Videocardz.com claims to have grabbed the leaked specs, and says the Titan X will come stacked with 3,072 CUDA cores clocked at 1,002MHz. (the boost potential is still unknown), 12GB of GDDR5 VRAM clocked at 1,750MHz, and a 384-bit memory bus resulting in 336GB/s of bandwidth. Interestingly, it does not appear to be a multi-GPU card, so it’s a successor to the old Titan rather than the dual-chip Titan Z.

These specs would put it somewhere in between the capabilities of the Titan Black series and the Titan Z, which we got the chance to review last month while taking Northwest Falcon’s mini-tower Tiki Z for a test drive.

Videcardz.com has a long history of knowing what’s going to be in these cards before anyone else, and here’s to hoping they’re right about the Titan X. To make details of the leak even sweeter the site didn’t just publish the specs, but also the pricing.

The author of the revealing article says we should be ready to shell out just shy of a grand ($999). That’s a lot of money, but it’s in line with previous single-chip Titan video cards.
Old 03-13-15, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Unreal Engine 4 kite demo, based on an open world with over 100 square miles of terrain, was rendered completely in real-time on one Titan X at the recent GDC 2015.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0zjPiGVSnfI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-13-15, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,038 Likes on 822 Posts

So we're at a point now where in-game engine rendering is superior to the first Toy Story and Bugs Life movies. Neat.
Old 03-13-15, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My one question about Steam Machines. Will they play Origin and Windows games?
Old 03-13-15, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RocShemp
My one question about Steam Machines. Will they play Origin and Windows games?
I haven't paid much attention to the latest round of announcements; are Steam Machines only given that official title if they're running Steam OS? If so, that's running Linux so I doubt they would unless the manufacturer sets up dual boot. If it's just Windows + Steam normally, then there shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-13-15, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I haven't paid much attention to the latest round of announcements; are Steam Machines only given that official title if they're running Steam OS? If so, that's running Linux so I doubt they would unless the manufacturer sets up dual boot. If it's just Windows + Steam normally, then there shouldn't be an issue.
And that's where the party stops. Last I read, although there was talk about having a dual OS, SteamOS never actually worked that way. It was all or nothing. What's the point of a user-friendly gaming rig that doesn't play all PC games?
Old 03-13-15, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I get it being Steam only for interface reasons, Steam Big Picture works phenomenally well. But yeah, seems weird overall. I have a Lenovo mini-desktop setup on my TV and stream from my main Desktop, both are hardwired and it works great.
Old 03-13-15, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I use Big Picture all the time. And I recall Gabe Newell (I think that's how you spell his name) stating last year that he'd have no problem if EA added an Origin app to SteamOS. I was just hoping SteamOS would emulate whatever was necessary to play non-Steam games as well for a truly universal console style PC. Otherwise, it's just another gaming rig but more limited in a way. But then I guess that is what consoles are anyway.
Old 03-13-15, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There's obviously emulators in Linux like Wine, but if i'm truly interested in PC gaming i'd hate to rely on it.
Old 03-13-15, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess I need to stop thinking of Steam Machines as gaming rigs and instead as Valve consoles.
Old 03-14-15, 08:15 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't been into PC gaming since the early 2000s, but I am thinking about getting into it again. I have a lot of questions.

1) Is it easy to connect a PC to an HDTV? Is it just as easy as plugging in an HDMI cable from the graphics card to the TV and nothing more?

2) Do PC games have 5.1 audio? Is HDMI from the graphics card enough or do I need a good sound card or anything else?

3) I really don't want to spend much more than $600. Is this reasonable for a decent gaming PC? I don't need a mouse, keyboard, or OS since I already have those. I don't need a monitor since I will be using my existing TV. I just need the computer itself.

4) I am looking at both the Geforce 960 and 970. The 980 seems a bit overkill for my needs since I don't need higher resolutions than 1080p. Is the 960 good enough? I'm just worried it won't be as future-proof as the 970.

5) How difficult is it to build your own PC? I have never built a PC. I consider my technical knowledge to be average at best. I know there are pre-built PCs (like those upcoming Steam machines), but I would prefer to save money and build it myself.

6) I don't know much about the difference between HDD and SSD. From what I understand, the biggest difference is that SSD is much faster. Is SSD really that much better than HDD? On my budget, I don't know if I could afford a decent sized SSD. With how big game installs are nowadays, a tiny SSD wouldn't really get me very far.
Old 03-14-15, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

1) Yes.

2) Some games have 5.1 audio. All you need is a graphics card to get 5.1 or stereo audio (depending on the game) from your HDMI. Sound cards are a waste of money.

3) It depends. If you want to run games on medium settings (and have no intention of going beyond 1080p) there are plenty of economical options available near your price range.

4) Really depends on how hard you want to push your system. I am running an AMD 7850 and it works great for even demanding games like The Witcher 2 or Crisis 3. However, I am not maxing out settings and only play in 1080p.

5) It seems daunting at first but it's very easy. Either watch some tutorial videos on Youtube or have a buddy help you with your first build. You'll be upgrading that build or building a new one from scratch in no time.

6) I use an SSD as my boot drive and an HDD as my main storage. There are plenty of fast HDDs that are good for gaming (like the WD Black Series). The only benefit of an SSD for gaming is super fast load times but the space limitation and price makes it negligible IMO.
Old 03-14-15, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) Easy
6) Yes

I have a GeForce GTX 760 and haven't run into a game I've had problems with yet, though I also haven't tried the latest Assassin's Creed.

The rest of my setup:
Core i5 3570k (k = unlocked, which I haven't touched, so you probably don't need that feature)
128gb ssd main / 2tb hdd secondary
16gb ram (it was 8gb until recently, I found an extra 8 laying around).
Z77A-G45 motherboard which was like $100.
Case/PSU combo pack I bought.
Zotac GTX 760

In all, it wasn't terribly expensive and runs everything I throw at it so far.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-14-15 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-14-15, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) Easy
6) Yes

I have a GeForce GTX 760 and haven't run into a game I've had problems with yet, though I also haven't tried the latest Assassin's Creed.

The rest of my setup:
Core i5 3570k (k = unlocked, which I haven't touched, so you probably don't need that feature)
128gb ssd main / 2tb hdd secondary
16gb ram (it was 8gb until recently, I found an extra 8 laying around).
Z77A-G45 motherboard which was like $100.
Case/PSU combo pack I bought.
Zotac GTX 760

In all, it wasn't terribly expensive and runs everything I throw at it so far.
What settings do you use on most games and what framerate do you get?

1080p is fine with me. I don't foresee myself being a higher res TV anytime soon. By the time I buy a new TV, my PC will most certainly be obsolete by then anyway.

I don't necessarily care about maxing everything out. I just want something that is at least a little better than the PS4/XOne. If I can get near 60 fps at 1080p on med-high settings I will be happy.

The PC I am looking to maybe build is the one listed here under the "Great" row for $631.

Thanks for your help guys.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.