DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-26-18, 08:44 AM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Xbox One: S $249 Now / X $499 November 7 2017
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Music

Old 12-06-18, 02:01 PM   #9026
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Xbox One: S $249 Now / X $499 November 7 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music View Post
Wow.. fuck off Debbie Downer
Just trying to be accurate is all. Even if it's not half the catalog, 550 previous-gen games is still very impressive. I think the main thing that's slowing them down is licensing. Looking at the list of 360 games and looking at what's not BC yet, a good number of them seem like they may have licensing issues.
Old 12-06-18, 03:05 PM   #9027
Deftones
DVD Talk God

To be fair, you get diminishing returns now. Most of big titles are bc now, so they aren't going to waste time on games that sold 12 copies.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 12-06-18, 03:35 PM   #9028
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
To be fair, you get diminishing returns now. Most of big titles are bc now, so they aren't going to waste time on games that sold 12 copies.
Probably more like 12,000, but yeah, a lot of the big name titles have been released. All of Assassin's Creed, most of Call of Duty, half of Battlefield, most of Halo, etc.
Old 12-06-18, 03:50 PM   #9029
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, even if the pace has slowed, it's good to see that the project is still chugging along, and it's for the betterment of game preservation, IMO. Not over-priced half-assed emulators in cheap plastic boxes with a couple dozen games...

I don't mean this in a 'console wars' way, either. I just think MS is, for the most part, doing their legacy catalog justice by the unique way they've taken on BC. Their intent is probably just more money, and that's fine, but it's being done right, which gives the whole thing more value. I just wish they could get the titles I want most (Remember Me and Scott Pilgrim, at this point) along with games like DJ Hero and DJ Hero 2 (which will never happen since the custom controller is not compatible) and the HD DVD add-on ()
Old 12-09-18, 01:59 PM   #9030
OldBoy
Inane Thread Master

Enslaved still not BC, correct?
Old 12-09-18, 05:32 PM   #9031
tonyc3742
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A few years ago I posted something about not seeing the point in BC.
I see the point now.
Especially since I'm not averse to buying digital like I used to be (at least for discount prices, and there's always something on sale). It's nice being able to buy titles I missed, or experience them again, on my "main" console. (I actually still have my 360 hooked up to my main tv I basically only use it when I want to play Guitar Hero or Rock Band.)
Only improvement to digital content I can think of now is some sort of resale or trade in program. It's unlikely there's an unsurmountable technical challenge with it (since they can give stuff away or revoke it in GWG), so it's a business decision.
Not everything is on BC, but there's a ton of stuff.
For a new console owner, if they got a Gold sub for the GWG and a Game Pass sub, that might not be "enough", but that would be a whole lot of gaming.
I've played some on GP that I couldn't download fast enough, but I've also discovered some games I've enjoyed a lot.

I wish Mutant Year Zero was not quite so hard though. I'm not great at the stealth parts but unless you pick off a couple of the baddies before the combat, the combat is tough. I like the world and the player characters though.

There's a deal on Game Pass, 6 months for half price, on the dashboard. Anyone know if it stacks/extends current sub?
Old 12-09-18, 06:04 PM   #9032
wtsang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
..they aren't going to waste time on games that sold 12 copies.
I actually don't think this is a factor. Over the release period, there were several surprising titles made BC, in that they had relatively tiny sales and got releases before some of the huge titles that have since come along.

Spencer's stated goal is to have everything BC, within reason, and the continued support we're talking about makes me believe he's speaking in good faith. At this point, I think the biggest obstacles to any game in question getting a release are publisher permission and licensing issues (delisting potential).
Old 12-10-18, 08:41 AM   #9033
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

As has been mentioned previously regarding BC, a lot of titles get included because they utilize the same core engine as some of the bigger titles. This allows a lot of those to be automatically supported, technically, or at worst very minor tweaks to deal with unique challenges.
Old 12-10-18, 10:04 AM   #9034
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtsang View Post
I actually don't think this is a factor. Over the release period, there were several surprising titles made BC, in that they had relatively tiny sales and got releases before some of the huge titles that have since come along.

Spencer's stated goal is to have everything BC, within reason, and the continued support we're talking about makes me believe he's speaking in good faith. At this point, I think the biggest obstacles to any game in question getting a release are publisher permission and licensing issues (delisting potential).
Agreed on all of the above. I mean, it's still an attempt to make money by selling copies to new customers, which is fine, but the more titles they have on BC, the more they can do with that in the future (bundles, adding to Game Pass or GWG, etc.) without making current owners of games re-buy them if/when their older hardware breaks down.

Also, regarding smaller titles, I'm genuinely surprised at some that have made it to BC. That that dumb Dorito Dash game where your avatar competes against others... and Boom Boom Rocket, a rhythm game that uses techno versions of old classical songs with cityscapes as the background. I played the hell out of that dumb game on 360, but I assumed I was one of a handful. It was like $5 (or 400 points, remember those?) at the time it came out.

One thing that would be really awesome is if they were somehow able to work out a deal to expand the BC to other legacy disc-based platforms. Sega Saturn? Dreamcast? 3DO? Sign me up! Right now, those catalogs risk certain death if/when anyone with the original consoles has theirs die on them. (Other than typical software emulation, I guess... which is fine, but a grey area)
I would think Phil Spencer and his team are smart enough to have, at bare minimum, explored this kind of expansion to the BC program, even if the rights-owners are completely unwilling to do it.
Old 12-10-18, 10:21 AM   #9035
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

I loved Boom Boom Rocket

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 12-10-18, 10:32 AM   #9036
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
One thing that would be really awesome is if they were somehow able to work out a deal to expand the BC to other legacy disc-based platforms. Sega Saturn? Dreamcast? 3DO? Sign me up!
There's not really any incentive to MS to make the discs from these consoles playable on the Xbox, since MS never received any money from these purchases. Also, in terms of Sega consoles, Sega's been pretty aggressive porting their own content to new consoles. There's even a "Dreamcast Collection" of 4 games for 360 that is BC on the One.

Now digital BC does bring in some additional revenue, but BC for discs is all about brand loyalty. The message they're pushing is "you buy on Xbox, you can play it on Xbox, forever." Even then, they seem to be much slower and more selective with the original Xbox titles they're adding. Licensing becomes much trickier the older the title is, and there's likely diminishing returns in terms of revenue from new sales of older games. They seem to be focusing on titles they can "enhance" of the original Xbox catalog.

Also, the major console manufacturers seem really wary of emulating each other. Microsoft is possibly the most aggressive, since via Rare they've emulated the NES and N64 in Rare Replay.
Old 12-10-18, 11:28 AM   #9037
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I loved Boom Boom Rocket
When I started playing Tetris Effect a couple weeks ago, my wife asked, "Isn't this like that fireworks game you used to play all the damn time?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
There's not really any incentive to MS to make the discs from these consoles playable on the Xbox, since MS never received any money from these purchases. Also, in terms of Sega consoles, Sega's been pretty aggressive porting their own content to new consoles. There's even a "Dreamcast Collection" of 4 games for 360 that is BC on the One.

Now digital BC does bring in some additional revenue, but BC for discs is all about brand loyalty. The message they're pushing is "you buy on Xbox, you can play it on Xbox, forever." Even then, they seem to be much slower and more selective with the original Xbox titles they're adding. Licensing becomes much trickier the older the title is, and there's likely diminishing returns in terms of revenue from new sales of older games. They seem to be focusing on titles they can "enhance" of the original Xbox catalog.

Also, the major console manufacturers seem really wary of emulating each other. Microsoft is possibly the most aggressive, since via Rare they've emulated the NES and N64 in Rare Replay.
You're totally right... I just meant it would be nice if they could expand that mission to dead consoles that aren't owned by Sony or Nintendo. Obviously, there's no financial incentive other than a minuscule amount of digital sales at best... but if, for example, those BC games were included in Game Pass or something like that, it might get more people to sign up.

Pipe dreams, to be sure... I know it'd never happen. I just wish it would.