Xbox One: S $249 Now / X $499 November 7 2017

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-16, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Xbox One: S $249 Now / X $499 November 7 2017

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
There won't be an Xbox 1.5, says Phil Spencer

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...gn=buffer-trfb
I think what he is saying is that when they release an update to the console, it is going to be a BIG update. Thinking about what he said earlier in the year: They would like to release consoles quicker to take advantage of the new advances to technology...

I am thinking we will get a new, MUCH more powerful console announced at E3 and MS will confirm that the Xbox One, and this new console will be forward AND backward compatable.

So instead of buying an Xbox One game or an Xbox Two game, you will just buy an Xbox Game. It will work on both consoles. (Better on the Xbox Two)
Old 04-18-16, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8vette
I think what he is saying is that when they release an update to the console, it is going to be a BIG update. Thinking about what he said earlier in the year: They would like to release consoles quicker to take advantage of the new advances to technology...
Here's what he said earler:
http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/1/1112...ncer-microsoft
"When you look at the console space, I believe we will see more hardware innovation in the console space than we've ever seen. You'll actually see us come out with new hardware capability during a generation allowing the same games to run backward and forward compatible because we have a Universal Windows Application running on top of the Universal Windows Platform that allows us to focus more and more on hardware innovation without invalidating the games that run on that platform."
A lot of people assumed that when he said "during a generation" he meant "during this generation," but he could've meant "during the next generation."

A big thing is that UWP isn't complete on XB1 yet, and when released this summer, will only run on the "Shared Resource," VM, not the dedicated game VM. I'm thinking if they build the next generation from the ground up with "Windows 10/UWP" in mind, then that generation could see iterative upgrades, which could be a plan announced before the console is released, so that people don't get upset about unexpected upgraded hardware mid-generation.
Old 04-19-16, 09:08 AM

With the PS4 Neo news that just came out, (Expected release after October), I think Microsoft will have to respond with an Xbox Two. I also think it would have to be a very substantial upgrade. (Read: Better than the Neo Specs)

I LOVE my Xbox One, but they need to change the game with the PS4 sales being so good.

Why couldn't Microsoft change the parts in the Xbox to be something more like the Alienware Alpha? A Core i5, 8gb Ram, a NVidia Keplar with 4GB GDDR5?
Old 04-19-16, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Microsoft Testing "Variety" of New Xbox Prototypes - Report.

Not a day after new details about Sony's rumored PS4.5 emerged, The Verge's Tom Warren is now reporting Microsoft is testing "a variety of prototype Xbox devices." The information is sourced to insiders who are reportedly familiar with Microsoft's plans for Xbox.

Among the prototypes are modular ones that can be upgraded like a PC.

"Some of the prototypes have been tested with upgraded components you'd use to improve the performance of a PC gaming rig," the report said.

This seemingly tallies with Xbox boss Phil Spencer's comments about how Microsoft will eventually "come out with new hardware capability during a generation." The executive never said it would be this generation, and has made it clear that you won't be opening up your Xbox One with a screwdriver to install new parts.

Additionally, more recently, Spencer said Xbox fans should not expect an Xbox One and a half.

"I'm not a big fan of Xbox One and a half. If we're going to move forward, I want to move forward in big numbers," Spencer said recently. "For us, our box is doing well. It performs, it's reliable, the servers are doing well. If we're going to go forward with anything, like I said, I want it to be a really substantial change for people--an upgrade."

It should also be noted that it is of course not uncommon for platform-holders to conduct experiments to find out what works best. Microsoft created numerous prototypes for the Xbox One, while the company tried out 200 different Xbox One controller designs before settling on the final version.

Making matters potentially more interesting, however, is that NeoGAF member ekim recently found new Federal Communications Commission filings that show Microsoft is experimenting with a new Xbox One wireless chip. Interestingly, the Microsoft-FCC non-disclosure agreement ends on June 25, which is not even two weeks after Microsoft's briefing at E3 this year.

A Microsoft representative told GameSpot, "We do not comment on rumors or speculation." Keep checking back with GameSpot for more on the future of Xbox hardware.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mic...GSS-05-10aaa0a
Old 04-19-16, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm all for console wars, I have loved Microsoft and Sony, owned both. Let's be honest here, how many parents are going to spend 300-500 dollars every couple years for a new console? Although I'm 43 and still love gaming, the average parent isn't going to buy a new one every couple years and kids are the driving force.
My 8 year old still loves her Wii and I just got the One 6 months ago, I'm not changing anything for years.
Old 04-19-16, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Apple somehow tricked people into thinking they need to drop $500 every two-three years on various iDevices. I can see the allure from other companies thinking they could pull off the same hat trick.
Old 04-20-16, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Apple somehow tricked people into thinking they need to drop $500 every two-three years on various iDevices. I can see the allure from other companies thinking they could pull off the same hat trick.
Luckily for Apple, people drop their phones all the goddamn time. Cracked screens aren't as big an issue for Xboxes
Old 04-20-16, 08:24 AM

Microsoft HAS TO RESPOND to the PS4 Neo. If they don't come out with a new more powerful Xbox at the same time as Sony, there will be no way they can recover.

PS4 has more power now. PS4 Neo will widen the gap substantially if MS does not respond.

My hope, looking at all the rumors and what Phil said, is that MS releases an updated Xbox with a beefed up version of the CPU/GPU/ESRam to maintain full backward compatibility... But the also include a full Desktop class GPU... (One of the rumors (Verge?) stated that the were testing with components that would be used to upgrade a PC...
Old 04-20-16, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I imagine the eventual upgraded console is going to give you an advantage in online shooters.
Old 04-20-16, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Microsoft HAS TO RESPOND to the PS4 Neo. If they don't come out with a new more powerful Xbox at the same time as Sony, there will be no way they can recover.
At this point, MS couldn't "win" this generation anyways. If they are smart, they are already focusing on the next console and will beat Sony to market like they did with the 360.
Old 04-20-16, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
At this point, MS couldn't "win" this generation anyways. If they are smart, they are already focusing on the next console and will beat Sony to market like they did with the 360.
Maybe this "Xbox One.5" is that next console... I still think they could put a desktop class GPU in it. (The case is surely big enough...)

If Microsoft is on their game, they could have designs layed out for a console release every 2 years (Heck even every year.) with fairly significant upgrades. All the while maintaining backwards/forwards compatibility just like Windows PCs.

Look at what they are doing with the Surface line... A new one every year. Why not?
Old 04-20-16, 02:01 PM

Look at what they are doing with the Surface line... A new one every year. Why not?
Just because it hasn't been done before by console manufactures, doesn't mean that it can't be done.

It works for PCs, Phones, Tablets, etc... Why not game consoles?

Just upgrade when you are ready... All your games will just work...
Old 04-20-16, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because they are trying to capture what Apple has, but don't have the same following that Apple does. And even the people that have iPads don't usually upgrade every year or two like they do with phones.

Again, I don't think this will prove to be successful for either company, but that won't stop them from trying it. The PS4 Neo would make more sense for Sony if it helps the PS VR run a little better and they might even upgrade the blu ray drive to support UHD. That would actually make a HUGE difference because then they would also be competing against manufactures in that market and many people bought a PS3 because it was the best and sometime cheapest blu ray player at the time.
Old 04-21-16, 06:17 AM

Because they are trying to capture what Apple has, but don't have the same following that Apple does. And even the people that have iPads don't usually upgrade every year or two like they do with phones.
I agree. I have an iPad Air 2 and have no desire to upgrade to the iPad Pro... Mine still plays games and does the things I want to do just fine.

The same would hold true in the console space: MS and Sony release new upgraded consoles every one to two years... People just upgrade when they want to...

Its the same in the PC Gaming space. People make an initial $1500 to $2000 investment in a gaming rig. Then they usually end up upgrading their graphics card every two years for $400+...

People can do the same with consoles: Every two years $400 upgrade. They just don't need to make the up-front investment of $1500.
Old 04-21-16, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree. I have an iPad Air 2 and have no desire to upgrade to the iPad Pro... Mine still plays games and does the things I want to do just fine.

The same would hold true in the console space: MS and Sony release new upgraded consoles every one to two years... People just upgrade when they want to...

Its the same in the PC Gaming space. People make an initial $1500 to $2000 investment in a gaming rig. Then they usually end up upgrading their graphics card every two years for $400+...

People can do the same with consoles: Every two years $400 upgrade. They just don't need to make the up-front investment of $1500.
I have loved video games since I was a kid. I've owned every gaming console except for the Neo Geo, Atari Jaguar and the Sega Saturn. If Sony and Microsoft start releasing new consoles every two years, I'm out. JMO of course, but I think the average consumer will also balk at the idea of having to upgrade or buy a new console every two years. It's just not worth it to me.
Old 04-21-16, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If people wanted to upgrade every couple years, they wouldn't buy a console, they would buy a PC. People that buy consoles want to buy one every 5 - 7 years and know that any game they buy in that time period will work on that specific console. Same thing with developers, now they are being forced to work on this sliding scale to make games that at least function on the base console and run/look better on the upgraded console. The only thing Sony has going for them is they pretty much own the console space right now and is also the only console manufacturer that is going to have a VR headset this year, so they can try out certain things for now with little push back. And best case scenario, it works in their favor and they gain an even bigger lead over MS.
Old 04-21-16, 10:34 AM

I have loved video games since I was a kid. I've owned every gaming console except for the Neo Geo, Atari Jaguar and the Sega Saturn. If Sony and Microsoft start releasing new consoles every two years, I'm out. JMO of course, but I think the average consumer will also balk at the idea of having to upgrade or buy a new console every two years. It's just not worth it to me.
I don't get it... Who says you HAVE TO UPGRADE? If you are happy with your current console, then stick with it. All Xbox games will work on it... Just like all PC games work, just like all iOS games work on all iPads...

As I said earlier: I have an iPad Air 2 that plays games perfectly fine. I have no plans at all in upgrading to an iPad Pro.

I think it is a great strategy. New Xbox One Upgrade comes out, price on current Xbox One drops. This happens every year or two years. There are then consoles for every price point. All games work on all consoles.
Old 04-21-16, 10:38 AM

If people wanted to upgrade every couple years, they wouldn't buy a console, they would buy a PC. People that buy consoles want to buy one every 5 - 7 years and know that any game they buy in that time period will work on that specific console. Same thing with developers, now they are being forced to work on this sliding scale to make games that at least function on the base console and run/look better on the upgraded console.
I would love to buy a new console every two years. I will just sell/trade in my current one to help subsidize the new one. All of my friends feel the same way. This is especially true if all my games, game saves, etc just move forward to my new console.

Developers have been supporting multiple configurations for years on PC. How are consoles any different.
Old 04-21-16, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Developers have been supporting multiple configurations for years on PC. How are consoles any different.
Because PC games are notorious for being broken. Dark Souls 3 and Quantum Break being the most recent examples and Batman Arkham Knight was pulled for months before they basically threw up their hands and said they couldn't correctly patch it. Console gamers want to sit down, boot up a game, and expect it to work. PC games don't have that same experience most of the time.
Old 04-21-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Doesn't the ipad depend on the apps? I know a number of people who are annoyed that their device is too old for various things, though I'd bet that they're more than two years old.
Old 04-21-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't get it... Who says you HAVE TO UPGRADE? If you are happy with your current console, then stick with it. All Xbox games will work on it... Just like all PC games work, just like all iOS games work on all iPads...

As I said earlier: I have an iPad Air 2 that plays games perfectly fine. I have no plans at all in upgrading to an iPad Pro.

I think it is a great strategy. New Xbox One Upgrade comes out, price on current Xbox One drops. This happens every year or two years. There are then consoles for every price point. All games work on all consoles.
Yeah but if people don't upgrade, they might as well go back to playing their 360 or PS3. I'm not going to buy a new console every two years just to get better graphics than my XBOX One and PS4 has now. Developers are already saying it's not necessary and it's just going to be a bigger headache for them to develop games for both the current models and the upgraded ones.

It just seems like a cash grab by both Sony and Microsoft that will end up biting them both in the butt.
Old 04-21-16, 11:44 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Yeah but if people don't upgrade, they might as well go back to playing their 360 or PS3.
No, that's silly.

I'm not going to buy a new console every two years just to get better graphics than my XBOX One and PS4 has now.
Me neither. But all the games released will (based on all the rumors) continue to work on the original consoles as well as these supposed upgrades. You can keep your console, keep buying games, and nothing will change for you personally.

Developers are already saying it's not necessary and it's just going to be a bigger headache for them to develop games for both the current models and the upgraded ones.
Most of these same developers are already making games for PCs which has an infinite number of configurations. I imagine they'll be fine.

It just seems like a cash grab by both Sony and Microsoft that will end up biting them both in the butt.
Agreed 100%. I think BOTH companies are dumb to do this, and I'm not interested in buying either one. I might MIGHT consider one if they're offering a more compelling reason to upgrade, but a marginal improvement in performance is not enough for me. I think it's going to fail hard.
Old 04-21-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

This is not at all true... Heck, with some iOS upgrades, games which are not updated won't even work anymore when they did before.
Old 04-21-16, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Because PC games are notorious for being broken. Dark Souls 3 and Quantum Break being the most recent examples and Batman Arkham Knight was pulled for months before they basically threw up their hands and said they couldn't correctly patch it. Console gamers want to sit down, boot up a game, and expect it to work. PC games don't have that same experience most of the time.
Just wanted to point out this is kind of an unfair comparison. This usually happens because of PC ports being outsourced and more development time given to consoles which depending on the genre and game, is probably the bigger seller.

Multiple configurations for PC's don't really apply in nearly the same scale here anyway, since with consoles you're just talking about 2 variances.

Originally Posted by fujishig
This is not at all true... Heck, with some iOS upgrades, games which are not updated won't even work anymore when they did before.
I think I mentioned this before when people argue against the Apple or Smartphone comparison, but how many games are exclusive to a mid-generation upgrade? Is there anything that works on a 6S but not a 6? I imagine it would be at least a full generational leap before the incompatibility hits.
Old 04-22-16, 08:43 AM

In the PC space, it takes at least 5 or 6 years for a mid-range graphics card to be no longer supported by new games. Why would it be any different for a console?

Also, on people worrying about developers, or broken games: If consoles are upgraded every one to two years, that is a VERY LIMITED amount of different configurations a developer would have to support. The reason PC games have issues is there is an INFINITE number of configurations they need to support. Different graphics cards, motherboards, sound cards, keyboards, network adapters, monitor resolutions, controllers, and even operating systems!!!

If Microsoft releases a new Xbox One every year for the next 10 years, that would be 11 configurations that developers would need to support (Including current XB One). All configurations would be know to the developer. Compare that to the PC world.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.