Print Wikipost

Xbox One: S $249 Now / X $499 November 7 2017

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-13, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Xbox One: S $249 Now / X $499 November 7 2017

Originally Posted by Mok
I thought the snapping only worked on downloaded games, and not disc based. I remember reading that somewhere.
Incorrect.
Old 11-24-13, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I picked up my Day One console Friday, but had to work so I didn't get to open it until Saturday evening. I've spent most of the last couple of days trying to download/install the digital version of CoD Ghost (all 39.5GB of it) after I had went through set-up. I think the auto shutdown knocked it off last night after I went to bed. I restarted this morning and it was at 18%, and turned the auto shutdown off. Finally it gets done this evening and I go to play Dead Rising 3, only to find I have a clicking drive.

I know the manager at the GS where I bought it so I sent him a text, unfortunately they don't have any left (Day One or otherwise). So he's going to check the local stores tomorrow, and see if there are any around. My other option is calling Microsoft, does anyone know how quickly they'll get a replacement out?
Old 11-24-13, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, snapping works pretty well. Digital and installs from disc (for me both are digital!). I was watching SNF and playing FIFA at the same time. It's not 100% flawless with FIFA, but I was able to play without issues.

Since this is the first release of OS, it can only get better.
Old 11-24-13, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the last few things I need to test is bluray playing.

Has anyone tried that?
Old 11-24-13, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sgtsnake
hey guys. How do I add my wife and kid as a user on the xbox one. The 360 didnt require an email but the one does? Something tells me its easy and im just missing it
Can anyone answer this? My avatar showed up in the XB1 fine when I signed in.

Do you need emails for allurers on the XB1?

Someone show me how stupid I am!

Have an addiction for Forza 5 now.
Old 11-24-13, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't find any way to do this without a Windows Live account. But I didn't check enough. My daughter was looking to have an account too. So yeah, in this case it was easier in the Xbox 360.
Old 11-24-13, 10:10 PM
Banned

Yep I had to created a winodws live account and then verify I was an adult. I then added them via the email account and set parental settings. Seems strange we just cant add like the 360
Old 11-24-13, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sgtsnake
Yep I had to created a winodws live account and then verify I was an adult. I then added them via the email account and set parental settings. Seems strange we just cant add like the 360
Was you able to use the same email address as your main account? or did you have to use a different email address?

I found this link after posting

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/xbox-one...ews-17891.html
Old 11-24-13, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm getting stuttering frequently with the TV app.
Old 11-24-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

When watching TV through the Xbox, can I still use my cable box remote just like I always have, or do I have to use the voice commands/Xbox controller/or Harmony remote?
Old 11-24-13, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shocked that you typed up that question instead of just grabbing your remote

But yes, you can use your remote.

I decided i love the game clips that get auto uploaded. Just spent a bunch of time watching eatntae doing some old school Ultra combos.
Old 11-25-13, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I uploaded an example of the stuttering I get during Black Flag and then tweeted the link to Ubisoft. Now that is some next gen shit!

I really hope some patch down the road fixes this shit because until Christmas this will be the only real One game I own....unless I cave and download Ryse. It does say a great about the series that I'll play it with this annoying issue rather than play the only PS4 game I bought. Killzone has yet to be played and it can wait a bit longer.
Old 11-25-13, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does your drive click? MSFT is making it better for you.
http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comm...o_people_with/
Old 11-25-13, 12:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Just Lurking
Was you able to use the same email address as your main account? or did you have to use a different email address?

I found this link after posting

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/xbox-one...ews-17891.html
I created an account and it askes for a guardians email. I gave them my email that I use for Xbox. It was a simple process and only took a few minutes
Old 11-25-13, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I decided i love the game clips that get auto uploaded. Just spent a bunch of time watching eatntae doing some old school Ultra combos.
lol glad it entertained you. I'm kinda shocked I still remember most of the moves
Old 11-25-13, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does your drive click? MSFT is making it better for you.
http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comm...o_people_with/
Interesting. Too bad my replacement is already going to be here on Tuesday from Amazon. I sent Amazon an email just to see, but I don't expect they will "match" this, which is fine.
Old 11-25-13, 08:07 AM
Banned

Hey can we trade digital codes here? I have one for DR3 but would prefer Madden 25 if possible
Old 11-25-13, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Shocked that you typed up that question instead of just grabbing your remote

But yes, you can use your remote.

Haha!

Should have been more clear, but I don't have the One just yet. Probably could have worded my question a little better.

Thanks for the answer though!
Old 11-25-13, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, I spent the weekend exclusively with the One. Since I'm at work and can't play it, I'll type up some thoughts.

* Hooked everything up, ran TV through the Xbox One, and nothing. No passthrough when the system is off. Heartbreaking. I had to rethink my entire setup at that point, and basically had to walk away for a little while because I was pretty disgusted by everything. The TV stuff seemed to integrate well, but I'm not hooking it up that way now.

* I've never used Kinect before now. The voice commands work pretty damn well. And it sees me when I log in so that's a plus. Redeeming QR codes in a nanosecond is pure magic.

* Ryse. Haters are going to hate. That game is pure dumb fun.

* Forza 5. It's gorgeous. And kinda sterile, but that's how Forza is.

* Dead Rising 3. Only played about an hour so far, but it feels just like Dead Rising but without the goddamn clock. The visuals don't necessarily scream next gen, but the amount of stuff on screen sure does.

* Powerstar Golf. Haven't had the chance to play much of it yet, but I love the whole idea of it, and I got a world record on my third hole so SUCK ON THAT.

Games are where this system excels so far. I like the IDEA of the UI, but so far it seems super convoluted.
Old 11-25-13, 10:32 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Yeah, I liked the system recognizing me as I logged on. When I first set it up and was configuring it, it saw me and my partner sitting there. It recognized which one was me, probably because I was holding a controller. He then set up his profile and the system then identified him.

When turning it on, it signs both of us in automatically. Might change that, but for now it isn't an issue.

I did the TV Passthrough thing. It means that I have to have the One on to view tv.. .but that isn't a terrible thing. Its really quiet when running and other than the lights, you don't know its on. The voice thing works great. "XBox On" turns on the system, my tv and my cable box. "XBox turn off" turns those three things off. I think it will lead to some additional gaming for me needing my system on to watch tv. That way when a friend jumps on and starts playing a game, it should take me a moment or two to join.. Especially if its a game installed on the hard drive.
Old 11-25-13, 10:45 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

First thoughts on the system after playing with it over the weekend:
- I like the UI, but it feels incomplete. There's little things that need to be fixed/added just to put it on par with the 360. For example, when I go to My Games & Apps, I want to see Games and Apps separated by default. But they're just randomly thrown together. I've "pinned" just my games so they're all available on the home screen. I strongly suggest doing this, and not pinning anything else unless you use it very frequently.
- Voice control works way better than I expected for real-world situations. I'd say it's got a 90-95% success rate in my house. The biggest issue is knowing how to structure your commands. "Xbox Select" is very important to remember. You can use that to do pretty much anything. I started up the system, turned on my TV, went to Skype, and called my brother, and later hung up when we were done, started Netflix, and loaded an episode of Archer that I wanted to rewatch, all hands-free (my baby was in my arms).
- Motion controls. Kind of terrible for UI navigation and such. My cat would jump in front of the screen, and it'd register a gesture, but using my hands to navigate was practically useless. This greatly concerns me about the release of D4, as I was hoping to play that with gestures, even though it's compatible with the controller.
- The controller. Awesome. I love how the D-pad and bumpers "click" but the triggers, for lack of a better term, "tap." No matter how hard I slam the trigger, it feels like it's a soft press, and I love it. My only complaint is that I can never find the "Home" button with my thumbs, since it's not in the same place as on the 360. That's just muscle memory more than anything else.
- System noise. So far, pretty quiet. When I'm playing a game, I can kind of hear the fan clicking ever so quietly when it's running at full speed. That or it's something else on the TV stand that's vibrating. It's weird, and makes me worry that it might become a problem. I haven't used the disc drive at all (Yay Digital, baby!), but I'll test it out tonight to check for the "clicking" issue that others have reported.
- TV. Not nearly as awesome here in Canada. There's ZERO OneGuide support for TV, so it's literally just passthrough, with no additional functionality. That's fine, since my wife seems to prefer it that way. I can understand people complaining that you can't passthrough HDMI when the Xbox is off, and if it's purely because of electricity costs, I get it. But otherwise, "Xbox On. Xbox go to TV." is all you have to do, then you can completely avoid the Xbox interface by using your usual TV remote (unless a notification comes up).
- Notifications. A mixed bag. I don't recall ever seeing a "This Friend has signed in!" notification, which is good because those are kind of annoying. But there are other notifications that I see, and acknowledge, but they still show up in my notification history. I can't complain about anything specific, but it just feels a little messy somehow.
- Clip sharing. I love it. I didn't think I'd care about this much at all, but I've found myself going through my friends' clips, just to see what they've posted. This is really cool. Nice Birdie L&O.
- Xbox Live. Rock solid for me so far. Games downloaded and installed at a rate that I would definitely consider acceptable, considering I'm using wifi with 2/5 bars of signal strength. DR3 took about 1.5 hours to fully download and install, but I could play it around the 20-25% mark. In that game, I got to a point where I could not progress down a hallway until the installation was complete. Luckily, there were hundreds (thousands?) of zombies to kill in the first area I was in, at the beginning of the game. I just continued my massacre there until I got tired.

Oh Hai! How about games!??!
- NFS:Rivals. I posted my thoughts in that thread. I'm really enjoying it. It's challenging but not extremely frustrating (except at first, getting into how it all works). Beautiful. Only real complaint is some load screens take ages.
- Dead Rising 3. Stupid, glorious fun. I could spend hours just beating down a horde of zombies, but then there's that damn story that gets in the way. Quality here is better than I expected overall. There's still so much to discover here.
- Killer Instinct. Wow, I suck at fighting games! "Medium" is too hard for me right now. It makes me want to try harder, but it's discouraging me from buying the full lineup of characters. Maybe if someone has a code they want to give me out of the kindness of their hearts...
- Call of Duty: Ghosts. Same old CoD. Not much to say here. It looks great on my 42" TV from about 8 feet away. I can't count the P's from there, I guess. Mutliplayer is still my preferred way to just kill some time, but I prefer playing this on the projector in the basement (but can't, because of Kinect's cable being too short.)
- Xbox Fitness. I didn't really try much, but my wife did a bit. The motion control stuff on here is way better than the UI stuff in the system.
Old 11-25-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
- Voice control works way better than I expected for real-world situations. I'd say it's got a 90-95% success rate in my house.
Yeah, well you must have a male Xbox, my system is female because sometimes the bitch just doesn't listen!

1 big negative right now for the One's version of LIVE - Party Chat is too unreliable and cumbersome.
Old 11-25-13, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen some people here comment about the UI issues/complains they have. I would like to read more about that.

Other than Dan's complain above, that I agree with, My Games and Apps should be separated, I find the UI pretty easy to navigate.

Kinect is king here, yes. English is my second language, I have an accent, and I also have a high success rate, 95% or so. Maybe it doesn't like some American accents

As I mentioned before, this is a great first release of the OS. It doesn't feel like a beta, but you know it can only grow to get better.
Old 11-25-13, 11:42 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

My issues with the UI is just that it doesn't have quite the same familiarity that I expected from the 360. It's not terrible at all, just different. For example, someone complained that finding the settings menu was a pain in the ass. But, I found that, from anywhere on the Home screen, just press the Menu button on your controller and Settings is right there. It's easier than the 360 was, but different enough that people don't think about it. That new Menu button (which replaces the Start button on the controller) does a lot more in the UI now.
Old 11-25-13, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My current problem is that I don't know which button is the two boxes button and which button is the three lines button. Nor do I know what either of them is supposed to represent.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.