DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted bogus wiki
Print Wikipost

Xbox One: S $249 Now / X $499 November 7 2017

Old 06-12-19, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Xbox One: S $249 Now / X $499 November 7 2017

Buy the third year before you convert over. If you already converted over you are kinda fucked. You can buy 6 months of Live and it will convert to 4 months of Ultimate I think
Old 06-12-19, 06:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Buy the third year before you convert over. If you already converted over you are kinda fucked. You can buy 6 months of Live and it will convert to 4 months of Ultimate I think
No, I already converted. I didnít check sub year just knew had at least a couple. So what does 12 months convert to 8 ultimate and does sub just automatically calculate when add on gold?
Old 06-12-19, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
No, I already converted. I didnít check sub year just knew had at least a couple. So what does 12 months convert to 8 ultimate and does sub just automatically calculate when add on gold?
It should but apparently it doesn't right now. Gives you a raw deal at present. DO NOT ADD A YEAR TO YOUR ACCOUNT RIGHT NOW IF YOU ALREADY CONVERTED
Old 06-12-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It should but apparently it doesn't right now. Gives you a raw deal at present. DO NOT ADD A YEAR TO YOUR ACCOUNT RIGHT NOW IF YOU ALREADY CONVERTED
You get a pro-rated amount based on Estimated Retail Price. See here:
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass#faq

That's why you need to stock up to three years BEFORE you convert if you want to extend.

12 months of Gold will give you just 4 more months of Ultimate. That's because retail 59.99 approximately equals 14.99 x 4
Old 06-12-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What Dan posted was a big inequity in conversation rates

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
^ Yes, and make sure if you have any Gold subscription cards/codes that you need to use to get up to the 36 month maximum, you use those before you switch to Ultimate.
I saw on another forum, someone switched to Ultimate then redeemed a 12 month Gold code. It only gave them 4 extra months of Ultimate. The ratio seems to be:

- 1 month Gold redemption after switching = 20 days Ultimate
- 3 months Gold redemption after switching = 2 months Ultimate
- 12 months Gold redemption after switching = 4 months Ultimate

The last one being either an error in the system, or a terrible deal. But not a typo... someone actually went through the process and only got 4 months.
​​​​​​​
Old 06-12-19, 07:17 PM

Yikes. That blows. They best be start selling the combos in ultimate and being able to stack and find deals like with gold before. No way I’m doing $180/year.
Old 06-12-19, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
On the bright side, there's a possibility Enslaved may become a Games with Gold title down the road, especially considering there won't be any new BC titles going forward, so MS will have to dig through the existing BC catalog.

Anyone considering how GWG will change once Scarlett is released? I think maybe they'd keep the "2 XB1 and 2 (360/OG) games/month" strategy for maybe the first few months to year, considering there won't be many Scarlett titles at first, and all 4 of those games will be playable on Scarlett. After that, maybe it'd shift to "1 Scarlett, 1 XB1, 2 (360/OG) games/month." This would reduce the number of games XB1 owners could play by 1, and incentivize them to upgrade to Scarlett by giving them a "free" game for that platform.
It's also possible that they will stop giving free games to own because they are including games in Game Pass. For many years, Gold was for access to online play which was free on PC and PS3. When Sony wanted to charge for a subscription service, they gave away a free game a month initially (because why else would you subscribe to their service?) and once they introduced online play on the PS4, they then required a subscription but continued to give free games monthly. Eventually Microsoft recognized the inequity in their service so they too started with free games to "catch up". If in the next generation they can sell Games Included in their flagship service, I see no reason to continue giving away free games monthly. Certainly not with 360 games now that Sony has stopped with PS3 and Vita ones. As of now, the service does describe Free Games, so it's unclear if they can stop it outright, but since nobody can currently be paid for more than 3 years out, that could change in 3 years without any violations of purchase agreements. Sony stopped their PS3 and Vita games with just 12 months of notice.
Old 06-12-19, 07:58 PM

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I’ll buy new releases I’m interested in, almost always, but some that slipped me by digitally, it’s nice to get from game pass, but hate that I don’t own and could disappear for one reason or another and it’ll just be gone, but whatever...
Old 06-12-19, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What Dan posted was a big inequity in conversation rates

​​​​​​​
It's not though, it's because the longer term Gold you bought, the cheaper it was, and there's no such deal with Game Pass Unlimited. They just do a straight dollar to dollar conversion:

1 month of Gold is 9.99, so 2/3 of a month of Ultimate (at 15 bucks a month)
3 months of Gold costs 24.99, so 1 and 2/3
6 months costs 39.99, so 2 and 2/3
12 months costs 59.99, so 4 months

Whatever they change it to, their competition is still Sony, and if they really expect people to go from what to them is 0 dollars a month (because they paid up front) to 15 a month with no long term discount, they're crazy, and unless they totally wipe the floor with Sony and Nintendo, people will leave Game Pass in droves.
Old 06-12-19, 09:19 PM

Microsoft is raping my adulthood.