Reload this Page >

Games you gave a 2nd chance and loved?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-27-10, 12:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 900 Likes on 761 Posts

sometimes there are games that you get (possibly hear great things about), try out, didn't get into right away/became frustrated, put it down and not so eager to re-visit. but then picked it up sometime later and it turned out to be a great experience.

for me:

this was one of the games that made me want to get an XBOX 360 originally, based soley on graphics and word of mouth. i even said it in the thread way back when that this is a game that makes me wish i had a 360 (back in Spring/Summer 2009 before the game came out).

i got a 360 in X-mas 2009 and this was the very first game i got. i didn't pick it up for the first time until maybe April or May just because i was playing all the Halo games. so i put it in and played for a couple days. and it was merely ok. graphics and fighting were awesome, but i was never really into the stealth game genre, i wasn't sure exactly what to do or where to go at one point (which i would later realize was hard to do) and put it down, not really eager to re-visit. needlesstosay, i was bummed that my expectations were doused.

but, i just had to give it another shot because i was so eager at one time, the great reviews and so many loved it. after finishing RDR recently i wanted something to tide me over until Halo: Reach. i was actually a little reluctant to put it back in because when i left it i was frustrated and thought i was lost.

i turned it back on and was surprisingly not lost and up to a part, very early on, where i had to save doctors from armed thugs using gel and stealth so they wouldn't kill them. i worked it out and it was cool and fun.

now, i haven't been able to put it down. love thinking about how to go into an area with armed thugs and devise a plan to pick them off one by one so i am not detected and actually being able to pull it off (knowing there isn't only one way to accomplish this). love using the gadgets and figuring out how to get to certain areas using particular ones. loved the Scarecrow areas. loved searching out for all of Riddler's challenges and got the World's Greatest Detective achievement (after figuring out the last Chronicle and never minding all the backtracking that was needed) and still i am only at 79% complete, so i gather i have some bosses to fight and stuff to do.

just loving the whole game immensely after giving it a 2<sup>nd</sup> chance and can't believe i ever put it down in the first place.

so what game(s) did you put down, came back to and it became another, extremely fun gaming experience?
Old 09-27-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Games you gave a 2nd chance and loved?

Just Cause 2

played the demo on the PS3 and didn't like it at all. My friend kept telling me to buy it and I'll fall in love with it. Found it on Steam for the PC for cheap and I can't stop playing it. One of my favorite games of all time. Could have been because I can't play FPS on a console worth a crap, but I can't stop playing it on the PC.
Old 09-27-10, 01:00 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts

Borderlands
Old 09-27-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not Fallout 3.
Old 09-27-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts

Are you trying to subliminally promote Halo or something by bolding it every time you make a reference to it?
Old 09-27-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bioshock: The first game I got for my PS3. I started up on Normal difficulty and it'd been several years since playing an FPS. Got to the first Big Daddy and got my ass handed to me repeatedly. Eventually I got frustrated and just gave up. Went out and bought Rock Band 2 the next day. A few months later, once I'd finally burned out a bit on RB2, I popped it back in and started over on Easy and found it much more enjoyable.
Old 09-27-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
and still i am only at 79% complete, so i gather i have some bosses to fight and stuff to do.
FYI, all the challenge maps (which you select from the main menu and are completely seperate from the main campaign) must also be completed to reach 100%

Speaking of AA, I've been meaning to get back into it for a while, as I Gameflyed it a while ago and played thru maybe about half of the story, but when I bought it sometime later, I found it hard to jump right back in where I left off, so I went on to other games. I think when I finish messing around with RDR, I'm gonna pop it in and start it over on hard (since my previous save was on normal, and I need to beat it on hard for the trophy anyway).
Old 09-27-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Are you trying to subliminally promote Halo or something by bolding it every time you make a reference to it?
He always bolds game titles, but why he opted to bold an achievement and character, I don't know.
Old 09-27-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fallout 3
Old 09-27-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni

Speaking of AA, I've been meaning to get back into it for a while, as I Gameflyed it a while ago and played thru maybe about half of the story, but when I bought it sometime later, I found it hard to jump right back in where I left off, so I went on to other games. I think when I finish messing around with RDR, I'm gonna pop it in and start it over on hard (since my previous save was on normal, and I need to beat it on hard for the trophy anyway).
Speaking of which, I have been wondering....If you start out on say medium difficulty and beat the game does it automatically knock out the easy achievement also or do you have to go through the tedious process of playing through the game again on easy just to get that achievement?
Old 09-27-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Speaking of which, I have been wondering....If you start out on say medium difficulty and beat the game does it automatically knock out the easy achievement also or do you have to go through the tedious process of playing through the game again on easy just to get that achievement?
Yes, beating it on normal gives you the trophies/acheivements for easy and normal, and beating it on hard gives you all 3.
Old 09-27-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mass Effect is the biggest one that comes to mind.

Left 4 Dead also.
Old 09-27-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Yes, beating it on normal gives you the trophies/acheivements for easy and normal, and beating it on hard gives you all 3.
Awesome! Thanks.
Old 09-27-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

I doubt it, but at the same time I do feel a strange compulsion to pick up a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories and a classic John Mellencamp album...
Old 09-27-10, 04:25 PM

none
Old 09-27-10, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Call of Duty: World at War

Peer pressure deemed that I buy it even though I'm not a fan of the CoD series at all. Played it for a week and dumped it. My friends kept at it, talking up the zombie mode and eventually they came back to Halo however they also kept up with the DLC for WaW. By the time the 3rd map hit they had talked it up quite a bit so I caved and bought it again.

Went through the single player and wasn't impressed and never touched a single MP game. Those aside(don't let Activision hear this), the Swamp and Factory maps were worth the price of re-admission alone.
Old 09-27-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Halo: ODST

It's no secret that I'm not a fan of the series. I enjoyed the first, aborted the second, and forced my achievement-whore ass through the third. I figured I would have to do the same for ODST, but I really liked how the gameplay harkened back to the original. Disjointed though it was, I enjoyed the narrative far more than the other entries. Plus the addition of firefight that was solely co-op gave me an online mode to care about. I actually had a lot of fun going for Endure with Corvin and some others here.

I never really gave it a first chance, but once I did give in, I liked it well enough I think it counts. Not quite "love", though.
Old 09-27-10, 07:19 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two Worlds 1....the game got horrible reviews, I tried the demo and just laughed. I got the game for 5 bucks used for some fucking reason, starting playing it and turned it off an hour later. I went back again, and after playing for a while ended up loving it.
Old 09-27-10, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Mass Effect and GTA IV. Ended up getting addicted to and finishing both games rather quickly after giving them a 2nd shot.
Old 09-27-10, 09:00 PM

Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)
Old 09-27-10, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Mass Effect is the biggest one that comes to mind.

Left 4 Dead also.
Yes on both. I didn't get into either the first try, but went back and loved them both.
Old 09-27-10, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyDaBull
none
I take that back Uncharted 1...played the demo didn't see what all the hype was about played the demo 2 or three more times and caved in and bought the game, and it turned out to be fantastic!!!
Old 09-28-10, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

The first Dead Rising for me. The timer mechanic bugged me to no end (and reminded me of Majora's Mask, which I never got very far in for the same reason). Finally sat down one day and decided to make some progress, and I quickly started to actually enjoy the tension and difficulty of dealing with the clock. Also the save points didn't bother me. I think because I've played games since the Atari 2600 and saving in a specific place doesn't seem that weird to me.

Ended up loving it and beating it. Whenever I hear someone complain about that timer, I think how boring the game would be if you could just walk around and kill everything forever. It needs that to give it direction.
Old 09-28-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Dead Rising

Ended up loving it and beating it. Whenever I hear someone complain about that timer, I think how boring the game would be if you could just walk around and kill everything forever. It needs that to give it direction.
The game would have been a bore after a few hours without the timer.
Old 09-28-10, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I always liked the timer in Dead Rising. What turned me off in the beginning was Frank running with lead boots for a while. Took way too long to level up to make it enjoyable. I'm ok with the multiple playthroughs and all of that, it just would have been lovely if you could choose how to benefit from the new level.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.