Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Warframe (PC, PS4, XB1) - Ninjas Play Free

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Warframe (PC, PS4, XB1) - Ninjas Play Free

Well good to hear...I guess my Keys were just Bad Luck....like all the T3 Survival ones I ran trying to get that Nova part and failed...which thanks to you got it. I'll swing home for lunch and get the whole Nova Prime going. Not sure about Volt yet...seems it's going to be a matter of luck.

I did see Sith (Martin) on last night and he was playing Bloodborne. I told him me and kanji had a total of (6) Alan v Keys made up and would like to try again this week. I pretty much owe it to him to include him and jfull since it was the four of us trying to get all the parts and Sith used 4-5 of his own keys that first run. Kanjji already has Messa thanks to a random group she got in.
Old 03-31-15, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friday's dev stream:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NG6SnSQwH9A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Note at 22:30 some of the new stuff from "Parkour 2.0". It's freaking awesome looking, and yes, the Sentients trailer was hints of things to come as far as movement goes.

Also, it looks like they are trying to make PVP more viable. I'm not super optimistic or excited about that, but we'll see.

The 8 man raid is out on PC, and it looks pretty interesting. Will be fun to put a clan group together.
Old 04-07-15, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I've been playing around with some of the weapon augment mods, and a few of them are really good. My favorite so far is this one, mostly because it's for the Burston Prime, a gun I already like:

It basically replaces a Shred mod (30% fire rate and punch through) in my normal Burston Prime build, so I'm getting an additional 50% fire rate plus it now procs like a syndicate gun...in this case "Truth", which recharges your health and procs gas damage. I think as a practical matter, I'm finding the health recharge more useful than energy, since my builds all start with efficiency.

And when the Gammacor gets nerfed, this is your replacement right here:

The Vaykor Marelok hits like a truck (about 8500 combined damage), is accurate at range, has a clip size of 10, and procs "Justice" (Health plus Blast). In normal use, it feels a lot like the Brakk but with more range and a larger clip. Available from Steel Meridian.
Old 05-12-15, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

New dev stream from Friday, in case anybody is interested. More info on Parkour 2.0 at 16:30, which looks really really awesome. Gripping and shooting from walls and ziplines will be a thing, and you will be able to perform some pretty crazy charged jumps from wall to wall. Spider-man is calling his lawyers.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j7QVemHYKn4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In other news, I'm well on my way to making enough PSN credit in Warframe to pay for Destiny with no effort whatsoever. Mostly just hooking up new clan members with the ridiculous quantities of platinum I get from in-game trading.

I also did some work on the dojo recently. It's all painted and reorganized so all activities are nearer to the spawn. I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out, and for the most part, the clan is too. I think we have one of the better looking dojos I've seen.

On the new stuff:
  • Chroma - I'm a bit underwhelmed to be honest. He's a pretty amazing tank, but his AOE abilities are lacking.
  • Aksomati - Soma pistols. Not bad, but the crit multiplier could be better.
  • Dual Raza - Soma melee. Basically cooler looking Dual Ichors in terms of stats. Solid.
  • Kohmak - Soooooo gooooood! It's like they took the best qualities of Boar Prime and Kohm and stuffed them in a pistol with all of those delicious pistol mods. Really really fun.
Old 08-05-15, 04:21 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hate to be lazy...but I thought about playing this again...there are a LOT of changes since I last played...what am I going to expect going back in? Have the best classes been nerfed? What stands out now as must haves?
Old 02-06-17, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hate to admit I've been lazy on this game after 6-7 months away so I wanted to bring this back from the dead topics graveyard....

Two of us who jumped on this day one when the PS4 hit sort of took a long extended vacation away playing other games. Then out-of-the-blue this weekend we decided to jump back in and see what was new and just get away from the typical mainstream games...

Warframe might not get the publicity, notoriety, coverage, forum followers....but no denying the game is constant, holds it own, constantly evolving, growing and has a fairly large player base. And I would even say the devs have to be some of the if not most imaginative out there....I have yet seen a game out there that has characters come close let alone the various worlds, weapons, commerce, trading, buying, armor, types of missions, abilities.....the game really does keep you going. It was good to be back playing this again.....where you felt like accomplishing one thing only to have 5 to 30 things still to do changing by the hour.
Old 02-22-17, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Interesting article....

http://www.gamesradar.com/warframe-f...orth-fighting/

Why now is the best time to play Warframe – the free-to-play shooter with 26 million registered users
Old 07-11-17, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Warframe's Open-World Expansion, Plains Of Eidolon, Coming Later This Year

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...this-year.aspx

Warframe has come a long way since its initial launch back in November of 2013. Since then the game has seen a number of facelifts, updates and content that have transformed it into something bigger than its initial offering. But the game's latest expansion, Plains of Eidolon, sees it expand into something else entirely.

Instead of having players take on a series of procedurally-generated missions, Plains of Eidolons drops players into a larger open world (which developer Digital Extremes calls "Landscapes") where they can interact with up to 49 other players. From a central town, players can tackle missions and explore the world at their leisure, finding loot and new quests along the way. This makes the game look like less like a mission-based shooter and more of an MMO/shooter hybrid, similar to Destiny. The expansion is set to release in 2017.

Old 10-20-17, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Going to give this a try this weekend after the major disappointment of Destiny 2
Old 10-20-17, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Going to give this a try this weekend after the major disappointment of Destiny 2
I was thinking the same. I know absolutely nothing about the game. Is this easy to get into? Is it like Destiny in terms of playing with friends as a team? Is there PvP? Is it a really complicated game, steep learning curve?

Please sell me on this, I feel like I've done everything on D2 and the end game is just not there for me.
Old 10-20-17, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I was thinking the same. I know absolutely nothing about the game. Is this easy to get into? Is it like Destiny in terms of playing with friends as a team? Is there PvP? Is it a really complicated game, steep learning curve?

Please sell me on this, I feel like I've done everything on D2 and the end game is just not there for me.
Good question(s)

I will find out, I installed it last night
Old 10-20-17, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey Guys

I've been with it on & off since day one with the PS4. I can't say what game it compares to because as far as I know there really is not nothing out there when you look at the game as a whole. I will say this....it is not structured as a whole as a normal game....that being amount of characters, weapons, extra,places (Planets which can have 10-16 locations per), mission types (up to around 20 as of now) and most of all the semi-complexity of the "Mod System"....which is used to enhance and levl up the Warframes, and weapons.

For someone first getting it can have a learning curve but if you take one step at a time...like when you first start out you do a storyline/campaign thing to get your feet wet. Essentially The Tenno (that's what the Warframes are called...sort of like The Guardians in Destiny) each have special abilites...with four different ones. You have a primary, secondary and melee weapons to use along with a "Companion"...could be a little robotic guy floating around or a animal like a Cat or Dog that's not your normal household one. These protect, collect, shield and do damage.

But the central core of Warframe is with the "Mod System" which would take a lot of explaining to do. Where Destiny 2 has one mod you can add, either a normal or legendary, in Warframe you can have up to (10) which not only come in different rarities...Gold, Blue, Bronze but offer a huge range of buffs for both Warframe and Weapons.

For a Warframe you'll get Health, Armor, Shield, Strength, cost efficiency, speed, range, endurance, duration, etc buffs. For weapons it's elemental, range, duration, damage, clips size, etc...But with each Mod you also can level them up to get even more powerful buffs. You might have a basic Health Mod that at Level 3 might have 160+ Health. At level 8-9 it might have 320+ Health. To "Infuse"...make them stronger....you take other mods...junk/trash ones as we call them...and break them down to enhance the better and more useful ones. Mods drop just doing any run at any place. Some only drop at certain locations and certain mission types. Impossible for any two Warframes to be the same. Plus you have three loadouts to fine tune depending on where and what enemies you might face.

If anything I cannot recommend enough to first look at the Warframe Wiki.... http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

Then maybe just looking at some gameplay videos like Warframe Story or a few Frames like Frost or Rhino. The game does have one of the best matchmaking & grouping around where no matter the mission or place, you can almost get in with others (four is the max for the basic stuff) One side note also; The Foundry is important as that is where you build your gear & frames. To get more Frames to play you usually have to get the individual part blue-prints...like a Helm, Chassis, Systems and then the blue-print to assemble them along with the needed resources. With Weapons it can be the same depending on what it is. Bosses drop these, certain missions and somethimes thru "Alerts"...which run 24/7 and constantly vary on offers...might have a weapon blue-print, special resource, credits, etc...that has like a hour time limit. And it might be any mission type

One thing also; you have "Syndicates"....the Destiny version of Factions. There are six...three in each alliance. You can belong to as many as you want but if you belong in one on the other side, you'll lose points. Points are what you get wearing their symbol and can be used to buy special items in that Syndicate. The more you play with that Symbol on, the more points you get.

There's always a lot going on and unlike some of the other games where you follow a A to B to C to D....in this you can go from A to G to D to M to C. Now off the bat you cannot visit every planet and place; you have to open them up. Either thru missions or other means. And with each, the enemies come in different types and levels. The entry levels are like Level 3-5 with some scaling up and above Level 45+.

When the game appeared in 2012 there were around 4-5 million players...now it has around 31 million. They've added and expanded Warframe constantly adding new missions, new frames, new weapons, new resources...and there's a lot I don't understand and/or has even touched. I can say with Warframe compared to some other games....it would be like one going to say Target to look around and doing shopping while someone else went to The Mall....

Last edited by K&AJones; 10-20-17 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-20-17, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks K&A appreciate it.
Old 10-20-17, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, great write-up. Looking for forward to trying this out.
Old 10-20-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be curious to hear some feedback...just give it a few days or even a week to get the feel. It took me a while and like a lot playing you are still learning.

I will also suggest that when you feel comfortable...like a bit stronger...go back and do some easy Exterminate Missions just getting use to the abilities you unlock, the various weapons, movement and also just to explore which some of us like to do and take our time. Sadly you might find yourself with some you just fly in and fly out leaving you behind and trying to find your way out that at first can be frustrating....that's because the exit point rotate on the maps and hardly stay the same and some are fairly large.

Also there is PvP which I haven't done and also Clans which can be very useful. Depending on their rank they have access to parts, frames and weapons with all the blue-prints.....you just have to have the resources and rank...

And within Warframe each has a "Mastery Rank"...which is attained by doing Mastery Tests. With each rank you get a buff within the Warframe like additional health, shield and armor. And the tests can be challenging.
Old 10-23-17, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely an interesting game. Not entirely sure what I am doing but for a free game there is alot to like.

The graphics are good although the movement is not smooth. I like the varied attack styles and weapons but I am not sure what all these resources mean/are for?

The story is not drawing me in so far, the bad guy is just plain annoying.

Ill keep logging in and doing some missions and see if it grows on me.
Old 10-23-17, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey

Like I said, not much out there to really compare it to.....the Warframe Universe is really unique and different. We're always joking about, "who are these guys who dreams this stuff up?"

Yea, sometime when there's a lot going on like a large fight with multiple enemies and Frames using powers there's some lag...as we call it a serious light show.

I cannot remember what you have starting out but it's limited as you progress because to get better gear...you need resources and credits to by and build the items. A lot of the early stuff you can get guns and melee weapons that has a single blue-print and you need certain resources along with credits to build. Later in the game some of these get a bit "More Special" where you have to have Rare Resources that are found on certain planets. As a general rule...and a huge plus...you can never have enough resources and you can never overfill your stash like in other games.

The one area you do have limits is "Slots"...space for your weapons and Warframes....andthis is where sometimes you do have to spend real money. But for everyone who I've played with, this has not been an issue throwing $10, $20 or even $30 down. I know of some who have spent $250+ easy...

The more you play the more you open up and the more you get, see and do. You are probably going against the Grineer right now and later there's the Corpus (robotic humanoids) and Infected (looks like Resident Evil stuff) at various planets. If anything you want to finish the story and open planets because when Alerts pop up along with the other stuff, you want to get in them as much as possible; especially any Exterminate which is just it, go thru kill everything, get to extraction and get the rewards. Not uncommon to see these done in less than 5 minutes.

But for getting resources and farming, you want Defense, Mobile Defense and the mother of all farming resources and items is Survival. These are your "Bread & Butter" of getting not just resources but at a better chance at getting the Mod Cards which you want as many as you can get...and there's no limit as to how many you can have. Don't be afraid of jumping in as yes, you might go down and die but the payoff is worth it. But you need to open up the places and planets unless you post or get someone to "Taxi" you over....someone who has a place open can bring you along which is fine.

Oh...which character did you pick....I should've mentioned that first time players should grab Rhino....he is The Tank of the game, not flashy or special looking weird abilities but with Iron Skin on (always, always have this up), he's a beast and great for early on stuff. Anything else just mention it...
Old 10-23-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Few tips for guys starting out:

1. It's a PC game, so most everything is adjustable. Under options, set your FOV at max, which will pull the camera back and make it easier to keep yourself oriented. I also prefer to turn off a few visual effects, especially bloom, and be sure to turn off both aim assist and target tracking for melee (both will just frustrate you). I also put my powers on the d-pad, so I don't have to press two buttons to execute them.

2. Link Warframe to your Twitch Prime account for a free Frost Prime (one of the better frames in the game) and a free Soma Prime (one of the better assault rifles in the game). Both come with slots and reactor/catalyst installed and will get you through a lot of the base solar system.
https://www.warframe.com/freeprime

3. Don't spend your starter or PS Plus Platinum on anything other than Warframe slots. Just do it now before you're tempted to buy something else. Weapon slots would be ok too, I suppose, but the reality is that most of the early game weapons are disposable, and you'll be able to earn platinum later when you have access to stuff you can sell in the market. Warframe has paid for my PS4 a few times over.

4. The movement will get smoother as you get better at it. As you play with others, you'll probably have a hard time keeping up until you master bullet jumping and sliding. So in the early game, when you're with groups, let randoms worry about shooting and killing. Rather, focus on the parkour and learning the rooms you travel through (mostly exits, since they connect randomly).

5. Start with Excalibur. The other starter frames are available in the very early game and have "Prime" versions, which makes them disposable.

6. If you reach the point where you need a good clan, we can free up a few spots.

Last edited by chess; 10-23-17 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-23-17, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by chess

2. Link Warframe to your Twitch Prime account for a free Frost Prime (one of the better frames in the game) and a free Soma Prime (one of the better assault rifles in the game). Both come with slots and catalysts installed and will get you through a lot of the base solar system.
https://www.warframe.com/freeprime
You get the Scindo Prime too.
Old 10-24-17, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the tips, yes I started with Excalibur.

Not playing on PC so I am not sure I can change many of those options.
Old 10-24-17, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What are you on Brian...XB1 or PS4?

Yes...you can adjust a lot in the Options....like the FOV along with about everything else like what you want you up like damage & health numbers which can be useful.

Chess IS Warframe and unlike me has stuck with it since day one and knows a great deal about it. Any questions...he has the answers and like me though, all else fails...hit the Warframe Wiki.

And he is right...as usual...about putting what money/credits into Warframe Slots especially early on. Weapons come & go especially the early ones but the Bread & Butter of Warframe is just it...the Warframes. Some are better with certain enemies and some better with certain mission types. And if you get in a group say doing some farming for a Mod with Defense, a Frost will serve you and the group better than Excalibur.

But the real kicker is, some Frames abilities will buff other Frames. There was some farming thing we had to do in a large open area that was a defense. We used a Trinity to sap energy from the enemies that kept energy flowing to a Rhino & Excalibur so they can spam. Rhino was using a ability to buff the damage output of Excalibur's Radial Javelin that had max distance on.

So having more Frames of course is fun to play with all the different abilities but in a lot of cases they do serve a purpose when playing with others......
Old 10-24-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Thanks for the tips, yes I started with Excalibur.

Not playing on PC so I am not sure I can change many of those options.
I'm on PS4. Just saying that because it's at heart "a PC game", it gives you lots of options by default. They're all in the options menu on all platforms.
Old 10-24-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
I'm on PS4. Just saying that because it's at heart "a PC game", it gives you lots of options by default. They're all in the options menu on all platforms.

I was wondering if you would be posting here again after neogaf closed.
Old 10-25-17, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Warframe's Expansion Breaks Records

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...s-records.aspx

Warframe's latest expansion, Plains of Eidolon, has launched the free-to-play third-person action game to new heights. After the expansion hit PC on October 12, concurrent player counts hit an all-time high of 121,377 players on Steam, nearly doubling its record from earlier this year and making Warframe the second-highest played free-to-play game currently on Steam. Dota 2 remains the highest played free-to-play game, with a peak CCU of 832,550.
Old 10-25-17, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally stopped procrastinating and downloaded this to my PS4. Looking forward to trying it this weekend.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.