Reload this Page >

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Old 04-16-19, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Some details on the next Playstation from Mark Cerny (Sony)

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusiv...t-gen-console/
Old 04-16-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some quick takeaways: Sounds like it will ship with an SSD hard drive, 8K performance capability, Radeon GPU with ray tracing, 8 core AMD CPU, and games will be physical and digital w/ backwards compatible PS4

I don't see how this thing ships under $500
Old 04-16-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Some details on the next Playstation from Mark Cerny (Sony)

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusiv...t-gen-console/
Interesting. I met Mark Cerny (way!) back when I was still in the games industry. An odd fellow, from what I recall.

I had no idea he was behind the PS4.
Old 04-16-19, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Interesting. I met Mark Cerny (way!) back when I was still in the games industry. An odd fellow, from what I recall.

I had no idea he was behind the PS4.
And was responsible for the launch title Knack. Thanks, I guess.
Old 04-16-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

I liked Knack, it was just too repetitive.
Old 04-16-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And Knack 2 was great. One of the best co op games for younger kids I've seen in some time.
Old 04-16-19, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Lets hope it plays 4k discs out of the box.
Old 04-16-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

I immediately looked for that, but of course it's not mentioned in the article. I guess we'll see. (Cheap bastards!)
Old 04-16-19, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Some quick takeaways: Sounds like it will ship with an SSD hard drive, 8K performance capability, Radeon GPU with ray tracing, 8 core AMD CPU, and games will be physical and digital w/ backwards compatible PS4

I don't see how this thing ships under $500
That 8K capability is probably going to be media only down the line, because no way in hell will it play 8K games, much less they also said it will work with Ray Tracing.

I just built a PC using the 9900K/2080TI combo and that barely runs 4K 60FPS with Ray Tracing. I'm going to guess 4K/60FPS is the mark the software developers asked for.
Old 04-17-19, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Mark Cerny is a wiz and we can only be thankful he's in the PlayStation Court....at 19 he invented the game Marble Madness, greatly involved Crash, Spyro and Ratchet & Clank...and did not know he actually had a hand in Spiderman with Insomniac Games. He knows his stuff software & hardware.

Reading the Wired Article, I came away the key to the PS5 is the customized SSD as it's not just Load Times but actually opens what Devs can do with actually gameplay and the new 3D Audio built into the AMD chaip. On the demonstration using a PS4 Pro and PS5 Dev Kit...

"On the TV, Spidey stands in a small plaza. Cerny presses a button on the controller, initiating a fast-travel interstitial screen. When Spidey reappears in a totally different spot in Manhattan, 15 seconds have elapsed. Then Cerny does the same thing on a next-gen devkit connected to a different TV. (The devkit, an early “low-speed” version, is concealed in a big silver tower, with no visible componentry.) What took 15 seconds now takes less than one: 0.8 seconds, to be exact."
Old 04-17-19, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

^^ I'm most excited about the audio upgrades we can expect. Playing Rainbow Six: Siege, it's imperative to hear where the enemy is and often you can't tell if stuff is above, below or behind you.
Old 04-17-19, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
because no way in hell will it play 8K games
Sure it will.. they'll just run at 15 frames/sec, and the publishers will insist that's perfectly fine b/c chasing bullet points is always what's most important in gaming.

Old 04-17-19, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Managed to get in on the Dreams Early Access.

Excited to start creating!
Old 04-18-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wtsang
Sure it will.. they'll just run at 15 frames/sec, and the publishers will insist that's perfectly fine b/c chasing bullet points is always what's most important in gaming.
15 FPS would be highly optimistic with a GPU that only costs a few hundred dollars. Would be lucky to hit a steady 10.
Old 04-18-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Bring on the PS5!

SSD sounds fantastic ... load times are the bane of many otherwise enjoyable gaming experiences. 4K support was a given, but being future-ready for 8K is a bonus. And thank god it sounds like there will be backwards compatibility with the PS4 (a giant negative of PS4 and all but the earliest PS3).

I'm excited to see how the PS5 changes the VR experience. I haven't dived into VR for the PS4 yet. While some aspects of it sound intriguing (and it's not a money issue about me not getting it), what I've heard sounds like the PS4 just doesn't have the resolution output and processing power to make VR really pop. And since I've suspected the next gen would be much better for VR, I've held off since it sounds like it's coming up (2020). Since PSVR only has a resolution of 1080p, you'd think Sony would have to come up with at least a better headset to make the most out of the PS5.

Not just games, but I'm intrigued by using VR for a massive cinema mode for viewing movies (even in 3D where all other hardware is bailing on support). But while 1080p looks pretty good from my couch, I don't think it will cut it when the image is an inch from my eyes (and the big criticism I've heard from people trying VR cinema mode is that the resolution looks bad).
Old 04-18-19, 06:07 PM
Banned

Yes, among best-realistically-expected general specs, SSD is a game-changer. Something I never expected. This is pretty damn exciting and I hope MS doesn't slack in their response.

You can bet when they update the PSVR headset during the gen, it's a substantial upgrade as well. Not my personal thing but you should end up happy.
Old 04-19-19, 08:14 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Both of my PS4 controllers are dead, and I think my charging stand is what did it.

They do not power on at all, even though at least one of them worked as recently as Thursday night when I moved some stuff around the living room. I tried charging them with a regular USB cable. I tried holding the reset button for 5 seconds. I even opened it up, disconnected the battery and both ribbon cables (a YouTube video showed this process), but still... nothing. Nothing inside looks fried. The last possible repair seems to be to replace the USB connectors (they LOOK ok, but other videos suggest they get broken from time to time), which I really don't want to do, since that means ordering parts and hoping they work. I think my charging stand is the culprit because it's one of those ones that has a little USB adapter that plugs into the controller itself, then the controller just slides onto the charging stand. I've used it without issue for awhile now, but it does feel just a tiny bit "loose" when I plug it into either controller now.

So anyway...
Any good deals on controllers and/or controller stands right now? Any recommended controller stands that aren't as shitty as the one I have? I can't find a picture of mine online, but it was an "officially licensed" one.
Old 04-19-19, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

They're $45.95 on Amazon but no other real deals are popping up atm.
Old 04-19-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always been hesitant of controller stands. I remember someone on here saying similar after their controllers got fried on the stand after a power surge from a storm or something.
Old 04-19-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Nothing kills the type of batteries in these controllers quicker than keeping them charged up at all times.
Ideally, what preserves these internal batteries best is to nearly deplete it, then charge it up, but don't leave it plugged in for too long after it's fully charged, the repeat.
Old 04-19-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Aren't the controllers smart enough to stop charging the battery when it's fully charged? At least that stupid light turns off after a while (and I still think that's what's really draining the battery and killing the battery life of these controllers)
Old 04-19-19, 01:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Nothing kills the type of batteries in these controllers quicker than keeping them charged up at all times.
Ideally, what preserves these internal batteries best is to nearly deplete it, then charge it up, but don't leave it plugged in for too long after it's fully charged, the repeat.
Neat.

Originally Posted by fujishig
Aren't the controllers smart enough to stop charging the battery when it's fully charged? At least that stupid light turns off after a while (and I still think that's what's really draining the battery and killing the battery life of these controllers)
I don't think the batteries in mine are dead, because even if they were, they would (presumably) still work when plugged in. They won't even turn on at all. They're bricks.

But more generally speaking (not just about my issue)... which is what I assume you were talking about anyway... they are supposed to be smart enough. I'm not sure exactly how that tech works, but the idea is that once they fully charge, they can stay on the charger without continuing to pull electricity from the outlet.

Old 04-19-19, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slop101
I don't have anecdotal evidence against this, but technically these are not the characteristics of modern Li-ion batteries. You're laying out the ruleset for the older, NiCd type which is in almost none of the electronics we use today.
Old 04-19-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I have used a charger for my PS4 controller since day one and have never had a problem with it.
Old 04-19-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I have used a charger for my PS4 controller since day one and have never had a problem with it.
Ditto. My charging dock is also plugged into a surge protector.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.