Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-18, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Well...it's not like it's next month...like 360 days from now so a lot could change between now and then. I'm more interested in the 1st and 2nd qtr next year with Anthem, The Division 2, Rage 2 and more on Dying Light 2 and Ghost of Tsushima with their release dates
Old 11-15-18, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

In the last few years, E3 has become less and less relevant given companies hosting their own events for announcements and online media becoming so prevalent and easy to get information out there. It used to make a lot more sense when you needed to get as much press physically in the same location as possible. "Winning" E3 for the big companies always felt kind of archaic to me, although it seems more about not fucking up and creating a PR nightmare for yourself then anything.

I think Sony ends up putting together something else to make sure all the focus is on them.
Old 11-15-18, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Well...it's not like it's next month...like 360 days from now so a lot could change between now and then.
More like 180 days. Very weird they wouldn't be involved.
Old 11-15-18, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I can remember attending E3 in Atlanta when it first started and Sony had a huge presence. They were basically the whole show, with some Nintendo. Crazy they are bailing.
Old 11-15-18, 05:18 PM

Not having any content to show has never stopped Microsoft.
Old 11-15-18, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I can remember attending E3 in Atlanta when it first started and Sony had a huge presence. They were basically the whole show, with some Nintendo. Crazy they are bailing.
Atlanta was years 3 and 4. Hard to imagine, but I also witnessed the demise of the Sega Saturn during E3. Of the 24 years, I've attended 19 times, missing Atlanta, the two "Business Summits" and one while on vacation. It's not the same as it was.

Last year Microsoft had a majority of its floor at .. the Microsoft Theater next door and gave up real estate in the West Hall. Pretty soon it'll just be Nintendo and the developers.
Old 11-17-18, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

A year of PlayStation Plus for $39.99 at Gamestop.

https://www.gamestop.com/console-sub...id=lw9MynSeamY

Or direct from Sony.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/...EARPACKAGE0000
Old 11-17-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

The consensus among game journalists each year for like the last 5 years is that E3 is on it's way out and is increasingly an irrelevant way to get their info out. Giant Bomb talks about it at length after each E3 so it's weird that "the internet" is so baffled by Sony choosing to do their own thing.
Old 11-21-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

So Best Buy has a regular PS4 for $199 (with Spider-Man). We'd been waffling on buying since we have the 1, 2 and 3, but eventually bought an Xbox One S for it's ability to play 4K discs.

Besides 4K streaming, is there anything else the Pro offers or is the regular good enough for just regular gaming?

tks
Old 11-21-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Besides 4K streaming, is there anything else the Pro offers or is the regular good enough for just regular gaming?
The PS4 is fine for "regular gaming," but the PS4 Pro offers higher resolutions and/or better performance in certain titles.

Here's a list of games that are "enhanced" in some way on the PS4 Pro:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...nhanced-games/

There's also the optional "boost mode" which can improve some older games that don't have PS4 Pro specific patches, but which can also break compatibility with some games. I couldn't find a comprehensive, up-to-date list on games compatible with this mode, but here's some lists.
https://www.psu.com/news/ps4-pro-boo...tability-list/
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/all-p...osted.1324251/

Considering you bought the Xbox One S instead of the Xbox One X, I'd wager you're more interested in just playing the games instead of having the best possible experience, so the PS4 should be fine.
Old 11-21-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I never upgraded to the PS4 Pro and although I have a 4K TV, I was happy with the experience in games like God of War and Spider-Man.
Old 11-21-18, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Thanks, we're still deciding if we want another console.
Old 11-21-18, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Any thoughts on PS VR? I'm tempted by the pricing this time around, but I was tempted last year too. I already have the otherwise useless PS4 camera and I'm not exactly excited that the bundle will make me buy another one.
Old 11-24-18, 12:06 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Picked up Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Evolved for $8 today. Good grief it's addicting.
Old 11-24-18, 06:39 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PSVR is fantastic. Went to Kohl's on friday and picked up the Astro Bot bundle ($199 w/ $60 Kohl's cash back). Stopped at Gamestop and got Resident Evil 7 and Doom VR for less than $40.
It comes with PSVR demo 2 and I downloaded demo 1.
Gotta say I am blown away by this. Started out just playing the demos, but when I played Resident Evil, it goes to another level.
The graphics aren't perfect but it doesn't matter, the immersion takes it to another level.
Old 11-24-18, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I was surprised how much I enjoyed PSVR at a friend's. I hated the demo stuff they had at BB prior to launch. The X-Wing space sim was awesome. I'm shocked they haven't revived X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter for VR.

That being said, even on sale it's too pricey for me given the limited selection of games. I'd be in, in a heartbeat for a full X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter game at any price.
Old 11-25-18, 06:36 PM

I'm discovering a new definition of tedium. I bought a 4 TB HDD on sale to replace my nearly full 2 TB external drive. Now you can't directly transfer the data from one drive to another and you can't plug in two drives at once. So what you have to do is disconnect your old drive, format the new drive, transfer the applications currently on your less-than 1 TB of internal system storage onto the new drive. Then when that transfer is done, three hours later, disconnect the new drive, reconnect the old drive, transfer about 800 GB of date from your nearly full 2 TB drive onto your now close-to-empty internal storage. Then disconnect the old HDD, put in the new 4 TB HDD and transfer that 800 GB of data to it (over another 3 hours). After that, your internal storage is almost empty again. Disconnect the new HDD, reconnect the old one, transfer another 800 GB onto internal storage. The. Disconnect the old HDD, reconnect the new one, transfer THAT 800 GB of data to the new drive (another 3 hours), disconnect the new HDD, reconnect the old HDD, transfer the remaining few hundred GB of applications to the system storage and just leave it there because damn that was a lot of work. Thanks Sony!
Old 11-25-18, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm discovering a new definition of tedium. I bought a 4 TB HDD on sale to replace my nearly full 2 TB external drive. Now you can't directly transfer the data from one drive to another and you can't plug in two drives at once. So what you have to do is disconnect your old drive, format the new drive, transfer the applications currently on your less-than 1 TB of internal system storage onto the new drive. Then when that transfer is done, three hours later, disconnect the new drive, reconnect the old drive, transfer about 800 GB of date from your nearly full 2 TB drive onto your now close-to-empty internal storage. Then disconnect the old HDD, put in the new 4 TB HDD and transfer that 800 GB of data to it (over another 3 hours). After that, your internal storage is almost empty again. Disconnect the new HDD, reconnect the old one, transfer another 800 GB onto internal storage. The. Disconnect the old HDD, reconnect the new one, transfer THAT 800 GB of data to the new drive (another 3 hours), disconnect the new HDD, reconnect the old HDD, transfer the remaining few hundred GB of applications to the system storage and just leave it there because damn that was a lot of work. Thanks Sony!
Would it not be easier just to transfer the important stuff like saves, etc.. then just re-download/re-install most of your game library and apps?

I never really understood why consoles skimp out on storage for the systems by default (except for price concerns given consoles already feel expensive enough as-is) when every game requires installing the full disc pretty much while requiring the disc anyways. Eats up space quick and decently priced 4TB drives are often $90-130 (I bought my WD Red 8TB drives at $160 each a few years ago) and would make more sense to have the consoles start out at that and allow another expansion. It doesn't take much to fill up a 500GB or 1TB PS4.

Shoot just only 20% of my Steam library takes up over 4TB of storage, so I don't even dare install it all.

Last edited by Koby; 11-25-18 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-25-18, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Koby
Would it not be easier just to transfer the important stuff like saves, etc.. then just re-download/re-install most of your game library and apps?
Actually I doubt it. It would be a lot of work to re-download not only tons of games but their massive patches as well. And I have a data cap that this would FAR exceed. And I'd have to archive somehow all the games that are on that external drive.

Believe it or not, this was the "best" solution for me.
Old 11-25-18, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I did exactly this just about two months ago. I had 1.9 of the 2 TB drive used up and it took me 3 back and forth cycles to get it all moved over. I now have around a Gig plus of free space.
Old 11-29-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Is there a simple way to clean/fix a controller? I have two controllers that seem to have a wonky left stick (sometimes it doesn't respond when pushed all the way up)
Old 11-29-18, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Is there a simple way to clean/fix a controller? I have two controllers that seem to have a wonky left stick (sometimes it doesn't respond when pushed all the way up)
Private message Oldboy he's a pro at fixing controllers.
Old 11-29-18, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 11-29-18, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Perfect.
Old 12-04-18, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Question:

I have a PS4 from roughly 2015-ish. And I'm just curious, do these models from that timeframe tend to generate a lot of heat?

I was playing NBA 2K19 last night and after I finished the top of my console was burning hot. I never really paid too much attention to this before. Also the disc spinning makes a lot of noise.

I'm just curious if the newer PS4's are quieter and don't generate as much heat. Or do all PS4's generate a lot of heat and make disc spinning noise?

I've been debating whether or not I should upgrade to the new PS4 Pro for 4K gaming, but I don't know how much I could get for this console and if it's worth it. For the record, it was a 500GB console and I swapped out the hard drive for a 2TB hard drive. $400 for one of those bundles is not cheap.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.