Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-18, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

I finally got a Pro off BB's website last night. I picked 2 day shipping so I would be able to use it this weekend. They shipped it from West Columbia, SC, which is a few miles from Myrtle Beach. It never went out today so I can only imagine when that will come in.
Old 09-13-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
They shipped it from West Columbia, SC, which is a few miles from Myrtle Beach.
It's about 150 miles from Myrtle Beach and well inland. You might still be okay.
Old 09-13-18, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea, it depends on which hub or store it is at. The zip code from that city it not on the closed list on the UPS site but the package has not moved all day.

It's not a big deal, just thought it was funny I paid for 2 day shipping and will probably get it a week later. lol
Old 09-15-18, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I never bought a PS4 (myself and my son generally prefer the Xbox) and was thinking about getting one for some of the big exclusives but also mainly for the VR stuff. (mainly for my kid as a xmas gift)

Any thoughts on the VR stuff here? Anyone use it to also watch movies? Is it too late to throw out that kind of money since there is talk of a new console and VR set-up possibly sometime in 2020?

There are two new PSVR bundles on the way that include two games each:

Creed: Rise to Glory and Superhot VR, PSVR, Camera, Demo Disc, Two Move controllers - $349.99 - 9/25
Astro Bot Rescue Mission and Moss, PSVR, Camera, Demo Disc - $299.99 - 10/2

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018...wo-games-each/
Old 09-15-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I enjoyed it while I had one. Mine got scratched up when my wife was wearing glasses, so we ended up returning it. But I thought about picking one up again to play through RE7 and Moss. That new squad shooter sounds really good too, but I think it's also online only.
Old 09-21-18, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

Just got the just-released PDP Cloud Remote for PS4.

While I can't make use of its biggest feature (controlling the TV with the PS4 remote) since my volume comes through surround speakers through an amplifier instead of out the TV speakers, I will say that it is a well made media remote that I wish had come out years ago. Sturdy, easy to navigate. I like it.
Old 09-21-18, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Is there still no official Sony remote for the PS4?
Old 09-21-18, 10:49 AM

Nope, that's the closest thing to one.
Old 09-24-18, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you were looking to get a Pro and were planning on getting RDR2 anyway, Sony has you covered

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-pl...?skuId=6301643
Old 09-24-18, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Just got the just-released PDP Cloud Remote for PS4.

While I can't make use of its biggest feature (controlling the TV with the PS4 remote) since my volume comes through surround speakers through an amplifier instead of out the TV speakers, I will say that it is a well made media remote that I wish had come out years ago. Sturdy, easy to navigate. I like it.
Are you sure the volume request won't get passed to your amp via HDMI?

My Marantz receiver does that. The only thing is, you need to make sure the TV is turned on before the receiver, or it doesn't realize it's there. In that case, the TV volume control affects the TV rather than the receiver.
Old 09-24-18, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by andicus
Are you sure the volume request won't get passed to your amp via HDMI?

My Marantz receiver does that. The only thing is, you need to make sure the TV is turned on before the receiver, or it doesn't realize it's there. In that case, the TV volume control affects the TV rather than the receiver.
Nope. The reason they call this remote a "Cloud Remote" is that it comes with a PS4 app that auto-detects what kind of TV you have and automatically adds those functions to the remote.
Old 09-24-18, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Does anyone have Playstation Now? It's their streaming service, but apparently you can download most of the PS2 and PS4 games now. Might be worth it, $30 for 3 months isn't bad for PS+ members.
Old 09-24-18, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Nope. The reason they call this remote a "Cloud Remote" is that it comes with a PS4 app that auto-detects what kind of TV you have and automatically adds those functions to the remote.
I'm not sure how that negates what I'm saying. As an example, if I use my TV remote to change the volume, my TV and my receiver understand that that request is to be handled by the receiver. So the TV tells the receiver to change the volume. The TV remote can't be programmed to directly change the volume on my receiver. So the signal path is basically TVRemote->IR signal->TV->HDMI-CEC->Receiver.

It sounds like this remote would know that you have a particular TV (LG, in my case) and tell the TV (likely through HDMI-CEC) to change volume. Then your TV would pass that to your receiver, in the same manner. I.e. PS4Remote->Bluetooth->PS4->HDMI-CEC->TV->HDMI-CEC->Receiver.

My TV remote is not a programmable or smart remote.
Old 09-24-18, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I still have my PS4-compatible media remote in plastic because I still stream mostly on the PS3. I like the PS3 media remote much better than the X1 remote.
Old 09-24-18, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by andicus
I'm not sure how that negates what I'm saying. As an example, if I use my TV remote to change the volume, my TV and my receiver understand that that request is to be handled by the receiver. So the TV tells the receiver to change the volume. The TV remote can't be programmed to directly change the volume on my receiver. So the signal path is basically TVRemote->IR signal->TV->HDMI-CEC->Receiver.

It sounds like this remote would know that you have a particular TV (LG, in my case) and tell the TV (likely through HDMI-CEC) to change volume. Then your TV would pass that to your receiver, in the same manner. I.e. PS4Remote->Bluetooth->PS4->HDMI-CEC->TV->HDMI-CEC->Receiver.

My TV remote is not a programmable or smart remote.
It only controls the Volume and the power button on the plugged-in TV. Nothing else. There are plenty of explanations on the Amazon reviews of the product that confirm this :

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-24-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Could he be talking about ARC HDMI where it's all done between the devices with a remote signal for the TV only?
Old 09-24-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I still have my PS4-compatible media remote in plastic because I still stream mostly on the PS3. I like the PS3 media remote much better than the X1 remote.
Me too. Actually, I still play physical media on the PS3 as well. Though I do use the Harmony to control the PS4 sometimes, the main thing it's missing is the ability to turn the dumb thing on.
Old 09-24-18, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just the game with it.
Old 09-24-18, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Me too. Actually, I still play physical media on the PS3 as well. Though I do use the Harmony to control the PS4 sometimes, the main thing it's missing is the ability to turn the dumb thing on.
Yep, I play BDs on the PS3. It helps that I play games more often on the X1 and PS4 so it's easier to keep game discs in those and shuffle movie discs in and out of the PS3.
Old 09-24-18, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
Could he be talking about ARC HDMI where it's all done between the devices with a remote signal for the TV only?
It's actually not ARC, but HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronic Control).

I've tried to explain it as simply as possible, even using rudimentary 'diagrams' but I guess it's not getting through.

Decker, it's your TV, NOT the remote (directly) that is telling your receiver to change volume. It's doing this through HDMI.

In fact, you can find some comments on Reddit where people talk about doing the inverse. I.e. they're using their TV remotes to control the PS4.

You do need a TV AND a receiver that both support this feature. Which TV do you have, and which receiver? Look for an HDMI control setting in your receiver setup. For your TV the name of the feature depends on the brand.
Old 09-25-18, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX

Just the game with it.
I noticed that when I first saw the news and images....For a "Edition" that has no wrap or anything about the game itself is sort of cheesy compared to the recent PS4 SE like Star Wars, God of War and Spiderman. Not unless you want to prop that box up next to your new PS4 Pro or cut out and tape the front to the top of the console and say, "hey...I got a Red Dead Redemption II SE PS4 Pro"...
Old 09-25-18, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I noticed that when I first saw the news and images....For a "Edition" that has no wrap or anything about the game itself is sort of cheesy compared to the recent PS4 SE like Star Wars, God of War and Spiderman. Not unless you want to prop that box up next to your new PS4 Pro or cut out and tape the front to the top of the console and say, "hey...I got a Red Dead Redemption II SE PS4 Pro"...
Plenty of bundles just include a game without a special design, i'm not sure how it's cheesy. Given how terrible a lot of the designs have been, not necessarily a bad thing. I'm sure there's a lot of people that just want an excuse to get a new console and game and don't need or want anything to stand out.
Old 09-25-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

It's not a SE console, and it's not being billed as one. It's just the console bundled with the game, like endless bundles before it. It's for people that don't have a Pro and want to play RDR2. It's not a collectible edition.

EDIT: fumanstan beat me to it
Old 09-25-18, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

My point was for a game that's being considered, talked about, hyped as THE GAME this year, you would see a bit more than just a box with the image and a normal looking PS4 Pro...then again there's the Xbox One Fallout 76 Bundle that's basically the same; a nice looking box, normal console, controller and game inside. Essentially it's buy the console and get the game free that actually sounds and is a better deal than a fancy smancy logo design on top of the console.....
Old 09-25-18, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
My point was for a game that's being considered, talked about, hyped as THE GAME this year, you would see a bit more than just a box with the image and a normal looking PS4 Pro...then again there's the Xbox One Fallout 76 Bundle that's basically the same; a nice looking box, normal console, controller and game inside. Essentially it's buy the console and get the game free that actually sounds and is a better deal than a fancy smancy logo design on top of the console.....
Hype around the game doesn't mean anything, whatever marketing deal may just not lend itself to a special console version. Although since you admit with your last sentence that it sounds better anyway... what's the problem then?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.