re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

I thought the God of War bundle was hideous, so it's not hard to believe
Old 05-08-18, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,170 Likes on 4,200 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
That's true, but the controller is too boring to be part of a Limited Edition set.

I got the Star Wars Bundle and while that console is nothing too spectacular :
Spoiler:

even that bundle's controller is a little unique (and, only noticable in bright light, the thumbpad in the center has little "star wars" logos all over it. Kinda cute).

As far as that console goes, I do like the Pro more. It is faster and mostly quieter. Also it has 5G wireless which is thankfully much better and faster than the wifi on the old model. I don't have a 4K TV yet so I can't totally appreciate the upgrade, but I think I see some more detail here and there in graphic-intensive games like FC5 and God of War.

Funny story : I bought a SW PS4 Pro bundle "Like New" from Amazon Warehouse for about $450. When it arrived 5 days later ( 2-Day Shipping my ass! ), I thought it was weird that it rattled as I took out the box. Turns out some crook took out the PS4 Pro (and the game disc from the SW Battlefront 2 box), replaced the console with some broken computer parts and replaced everything and sealed it back up with those Game Stop like clear circular stickers! Great job with that inspection, Amazon Warehouse guy!
Of course, I called them immediately and let them know. They gave me a refund once they got the box of crap back. I bought another SW PS4 Bundle, this one new and from a third-party seller through Amazon Prime. Since I didn't have to pay sales tax (yet, of course I will eventually ), it was only like $10 more. And it was new, perfect and arrived in two days.
Old 05-08-18, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
That's true, but the controller is too boring to be part of a Limited Edition set.
I don't know, this CoD bundle looks pretty plain with just a color swapped controller.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/ps4/systems/
Old 05-08-18, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Old 05-09-18, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

I got the Star Wars Bundle and while that console is nothing too spectacular :
Spoiler:

even that bundle's controller is a little unique (and, only noticable in bright light, the thumbpad in the center has little "star wars" logos all over it. Kinda cute).

As far as that console goes, I do like the Pro more. It is faster and mostly quieter. Also it has 5G wireless which is thankfully much better and faster than the wifi on the old model. I don't have a 4K TV yet so I can't totally appreciate the upgrade, but I think I see some more detail here and there in graphic-intensive games like FC5 and God of War.

Funny story : I bought a SW PS4 Pro bundle "Like New" from Amazon Warehouse for about $450. When it arrived 5 days later ( 2-Day Shipping my ass! ), I thought it was weird that it rattled as I took out the box. Turns out some crook took out the PS4 Pro (and the game disc from the SW Battlefront 2 box), replaced the console with some broken computer parts and replaced everything and sealed it back up with those Game Stop like clear circular stickers! Great job with that inspection, Amazon Warehouse guy!
Of course, I called them immediately and let them know. They gave me a refund once they got the box of crap back. I bought another SW PS4 Bundle, this one new and from a third-party seller through Amazon Prime. Since I didn't have to pay sales tax (yet, of course I will eventually ), it was only like $10 more. And it was new, perfect and arrived in two days.

Wow...that's just cold but good for Amazon on the follow up.....I still might end up going with a Pro since mine still has issues here and there but it's mainly with certain games....Warframe and Elder Scrolls. I played 6hrs of FC5 and nothing happened. I like the SW Bundle but already have the game. A friend at work "WAS" playing it but he said the MP is dead and it's hardly anyone in there.....I know several playing Fortnite and GoW for one.

So you've seen some improvement with the Pro over the normal one? I don't have a 4K TV....I'll keep my Sony Projector...size does matter.
Old 05-09-18, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

I don't know, this CoD bundle looks pretty plain with just a color swapped controller.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/ps4/systems/
It's weird that they don't even have the console pictured on the box so you can see what it looks like...
Old 05-09-18, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

My Uncharted 4 console just has a light blue controller, nothing thrilling.

Old 05-09-18, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Speaking of controllers, I was in Wal-mart over the weekend and it looked like ALL color variations were priced around $46*. Of course that was a few days ago, things could have changed. I meant to post when I saw it but forgot all about it until you guys started discussing the consoles.

*this was the cardboard hangers you have to take to the counter. The shelf tags in the glass case with the actual controllers showed SRP.
Old 05-09-18, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The Walmart website shows $46.96 for the PS4 controllers, and I believe I seen the same thing in store.

The local Toy's R Us finally went to 30% off of console accessories, which would make the PS4 controllers $41.99. They still have quite a few of the PS4 controllers, while the Xbox One controllers have been gone for a while.
Old 05-15-18, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Are there anyone using those outboard cooling fans; snap in the back or the Vertical Stand units? A friend of mine mentioned her PS4 gets hot and asked if those really work and I just don't know.

I've thought about getting one but I cannot stand my PS4 vertical in the space it is and I need both USB Ports; for the USB Drive and USB Headphones. I wonder if there are some other choices using PC Fans instead with a homemade housing.
Old 05-15-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,170 Likes on 4,200 Posts

I kind of forgot that this was coming out (and that I had pre-orered it months ago), but it arrived in my office today. I loved the original game in 2013 and it's one of the few Remasters that I would actually want to play again now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RxgzvkEOcsI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's available both digitally and physically in the Battle-Hardened Editon
Spoiler:

That Steelbook Metalpack is a beaut. It's in a clear Slipcover and is totally embossed and stunning.

Edit : Here's a picture of mine :

Last edited by Decker; 05-15-18 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-15-18, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Never heard of it but that is a damn cool case.
Old 05-23-18, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This has been quoted in a few articles, but just because I happened to see this one browsing the site...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...ree-years-off/

Sony: Next PlayStation is at least three years off

Yesterday, when Sony told Japanese investors that the PS4 is "entering the end of its lifecycle" (as translated by The Wall Street Journal's Takashi Mochizuki), we held off on repeating the news until we got clarification on what exactly that meant. Today, Mochizuki reports in WSJ that it means the PS4 has at least three more years of uncontested focus from Sony's console business.

"We will use the next three years to prepare the next step, to crouch down so that we can jump higher in the future," Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Tsuyoshi Kodera told the Journal.
Old 05-23-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A few years back I mentioned that the next gen would be 4K, and a few posters jumped all over that as an impossibility so soon lol. Here we have 4K capable consoles out as a mid-gen upgrade lol.

I do wish they would take their time with the next gen because I want to see something special. I don't want to buy another console so soon just to get 4K 60FPS. Interestingly enough, I was watching this
today in which it was mentioned a developer had said the engine software itself is a decade behind the hardware we have now. Very interesting.
Old 05-23-18, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Good. No hurry on my end - they're still squeezing new life out of the PS4, IMO.
Old 05-23-18, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
A few years back I mentioned that the next gen would be 4K, and a few posters jumped all over that as an impossibility so soon lol. Here we have 4K capable consoles out as a mid-gen upgrade lol.
Yeah, I was skeptical... and will eat crow on that. I don't know what I was thinking, I guess I didn't think value 4K TV's would end up happening that quick. That seems dumb of me in hindsight.
Old 05-24-18, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

This has been quoted in a few articles, but just because I happened to see this one browsing the site...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...ree-years-off/

I sure hope so. I just upgraded to a PS4 Pro a few months ago.
Old 05-24-18, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Interestingly, I've seen that exact quote referenced to confirm that the PS5 will launch in 2019, that it'll launch in 2020, and that it'll launch in 2021, depending on the outlet.

Well, to be fair, the profits chart is influencing the conversation too:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Some people notice the conspicuous absence of FY 2020 and think that means a Holiday 2019 release. Some people see the potentially volatile outlook for FY 2021 and think that suggests a Holiday 2020 release (subsidized console, transition period, etc.).

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 05-24-18 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-24-18, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I was skeptical... and will eat crow on that. I don't know what I was thinking, I guess I didn't think value 4K TV's would end up happening that quick. That seems dumb of me in hindsight.
I'm surprised by that too, 4K TVs going low in price so fast. Today you can get a 55'' 4K under $500. Major brand.

However, current consoles can't really show games at 4K with the best performance. I don't think there is any game, in a console, that can handle 4K at 60 FPS, right?

So whenever the next generation consoles are released, I expect them to handle that, 4K, 60 FPS, HDR, etc. all at the same time, all the time, not just under some conditions.
Old 05-24-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Ive got so many games to still play on PS4, it could be my last system and still Id have something to finish
Old 05-24-18, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
However, current consoles can't really show games at 4K with the best performance. I don't think there is any game, in a console, that can handle 4K at 60 FPS, right?
Burnout Paradise Remastered is 4K 60fps on the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X:
http://www.shacknews.com/article/103...and-xbox-one-x

Other games that are 4K 60fps on PS4 Pro:
Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Pyre
Rocket League
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...nhanced-games/

Other games that are 4K 60fps on Xbox One X:
Aaero
Assault Android Cactus
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty: WWII
Chess Ultra
Cuphead
Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition (Dynamic resolution)
DOOM (Dynamic resolution)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (Dynamic resolution)
F1 2017
FIFA 18
Fortnite
Forza Motorsport 7
Halo 5: Guardians
Killer Instinct
Mantis Burn Racing
Minecraft
Path of Exile
Project Cars 2
Redout: Lightspeed Edition
Rocket League
Skate 3
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Original Xbox game at a 4:3 2560x1920 resolution)
Super Lucky's Tale
Titanfall 2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...enhanced_games
Old 05-25-18, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The main issue Sony is having with the PS5 is the cost of the components. If any of you are interested in PC gaming, you've seen the skyrocketing cost of graphics cards and RAM, due to cryptocurrency mining. Until those costs start to come back down, Sony (and Microsoft too) is not going to be in a big hurry to put out a new console.
Old 05-27-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck
Ive got so many games to still play on PS4, it could be my last system and still Id have something to finish
I'm backlogged around 100 games. Most are 360 and PS3 games I picked up on sale and never played!
Old 05-27-18, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by collven
The main issue Sony is having with the PS5 is the cost of the components. If any of you are interested in PC gaming, you've seen the skyrocketing cost of graphics cards and RAM, due to cryptocurrency mining. Until those costs start to come back down, Sony (and Microsoft too) is not going to be in a big hurry to put out a new console.
I wouldn't think the APUs used in consoles would be affected by mining the way stock of standalone graphics cards are. Those are all custom built and ordered for Sony and Microsoft and I imagine wouldn't see any impact.
Old 05-27-18, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Console chips are top dollar contracts for whoever gets them, so yea that would be a priority.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.