Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-16, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

If you are only listening to Dolby 5.1, you are actually missing a lot. The 7.1 HD audio is a huge step up and worth dumping any older receiver for. Since only a hand full media offers Dolby Atmos, you could probably at least skip that for the time being, but 7.1 Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD are not going away any time soon.
Old 09-09-16, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
If you are only listening to Dolby 5.1, you are actually missing a lot. The 7.1 HD audio is a huge step up and worth dumping any older receiver for. Since only a hand full media offers Dolby Atmos, you could probably at least skip that for the time being, but 7.1 Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD are not going away any time soon.
It's some of the TV shows thru Direct. The Blu-Rays are the 7.1 TrueHD except some of the older ones even some DVD's have the DD 5.1. I'm still a fan of the DTS sound format but yea, almost all the new stuff via BR is listened with 7.1 TrueHD. I even have a few BR's with the PCM and one that really stands out and just kicks serious booty is Underworld. If you can find that do not be mislead it's PCM....in fact there's a great review up on it here.
Old 09-09-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And as far as I can tell, most if not all the games on both systems play the games in 7.1 PCM
Old 09-09-16, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was in one of the other sections, but should go here too. Andrew House interview with The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...is-time-around
Old 09-09-16, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Competing against the PC?

I can buy an RX480 for less than the Pro and get better performance.
Old 09-10-16, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Competing against the PC?

I can buy an RX480 for less than the Pro and get better performance.

Funny you mention "PC Gaming" because I'm actually looking for a sort of Hybrid Gaming/Casual PC to replace our 7yr HP that's giving me fits. I've been looking at various sites the past week and two and man has PC Gaming evolved from the days I played....Quake & Unreal Tournament.....

...and it be cheaper than buying a 4K PS4, 4K HT Receiver and 4K TV......
Old 09-10-16, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Well, I actually ordered a 55 inch Samsung 4k tv from Dell yesterday for a nice price and it comes with a 250 dollar e-gift card. I do have a pre-order in for the Pro, which I said I would likely not get, and have a couple of months to decide if I will actually pick it up or not. However, with the new set, I will probably be swayed to get it in order to try to get the most out of my set. I will likely use the e-gift card balance to get an Xbox One S for some games and a UHD player.
Old 09-10-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I almost went for that same deal yesterday, but people in the comments on IGN were saying that set didn't have true HDR so it scared me off. Damn it was temptint though because you can just put that $250 towards the Pro.
Old 09-10-16, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I almost went for that same deal yesterday, but people in the comments on IGN were saying that set didn't have true HDR so it scared me off. Damn it was temptint though because you can just put that $250 towards the Pro.
I went to Best Buy to try and get them to match the deal or come close to it. They would only go down to 700 plus tax to match Target. After finding out about the HDR stuff, which is truly annoying, I decided that I am going to cancel it as soon as it gives me the option. I went ahead and bought a 55 inch Sony that has better color and is supposed to get an update in October to unlock HDR. I doubt it will be true HDR either but it will be a better visual set than the 47 inch LG 3D tv we have that is 5 years old and cost us more than the set I bought today. That one will be going in our other room, as we still watch 3D movies from time to time. I wish UHD, 4K, HDR and all of that stuff wasn't just a huge jumbled mess that discourages consumers more than encourages them to buy into this higher resolution. What a nightmare!

Speaking of the Xbox S, a guy in the tv set department told me that the UHD player on there does not have the HDR unlocked that normal UHD players have. I'm not sure if I believe him but it sucks if it turns out to be true.

Edit: After doing a bit of research it seems like the guy was either full of shit or has something against the S. Either way, I doubt I will get one at the moment.

Last edited by dsa_shea; 09-10-16 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-10-16, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I was against this incremental upgrade in the first place, but this will probably end up saving me some money. No UHD so I can skip the Pro (at this point). Scorpio's going to be out soon so I can skip the S. By the time Scorpio is ready the next upgrade might be planned so maybe skip that too. All the while no need yet to upgrade to 4k receiver/TV and I can wait out the technology. If the PS3 didn't have Blu I would've still gotten an HD set eventually but probably not Blu-rays for a long time.

This will probably leave the Nx as the most tempting next console, since I don't have to change much to enjoy it at this point and it should offer some unique games. Just need to have enough willpower to endure the initial scarcity and not jump in at launch and play through the backlog.

Ah, who am I kidding, I'll probably pick all of it up.
Old 09-10-16, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Ah, who am I kidding, I'll probably pick all of it up.
Lol! I want to hold out but my will is just not strong enough.
Old 09-10-16, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Well, I actually ordered a 55 inch Samsung 4k tv from Dell yesterday for a nice price and it comes with a 250 dollar e-gift card. I do have a pre-order in for the Pro, which I said I would likely not get, and have a couple of months to decide if I will actually pick it up or not. However, with the new set, I will probably be swayed to get it in order to try to get the most out of my set. I will likely use the e-gift card balance to get an Xbox One S for some games and a UHD player.
Is it the 6300 series?
Old 09-11-16, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
Is it the 6300 series?
Yep!
This is what I put an order in for:
Samsung 55 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart TV UN55KU6300F UHD TV

I am trying to cancel it but it will not let me just yet.
Old 09-11-16, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Yep!
This is what I put an order in for:
Samsung 55 Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart TV UN55KU6300F UHD TV

I am trying to cancel it but it will not let me just yet.
So BB and Amazon had this on sale for Amazon Prime day. I picked it up for $550. The tv does only have an 8 bit panel, so it won't do true HDR. Here is the review on it that explains more:http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

I use the tv for kids tv. Mostly video games and Netflix. I will say I am pleasantly surprised at how good the tv is for how cheap it is. I haven't watched any tv on it so I can't say how that is, but I was impressed at the set.
Old 09-11-16, 07:45 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
So BB and Amazon had this on sale for Amazon Prime day. I picked it up for $550. The tv does only have an 8 bit panel, so it won't do true HDR. Here is the review on it that explains more:http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

I use the tv for kids tv. Mostly video games and Netflix. I will say I am pleasantly surprised at how good the tv is for how cheap it is. I haven't watched any tv on it so I can't say how that is, but I was impressed at the set.
When I was a kid, the kids TV used to play video games was 13" and B&W
Old 09-11-16, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
When I was a kid, the kids TV used to play video games was 13" and B&W
It's not 1952 anymore. Things change.
Old 09-11-16, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

1952? more like 1982...

Or are you just calling him an old bastard?
Old 09-11-16, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Music
1952? more like 1982...

Or are you just calling him an old bastard?
The second one.
Old 09-11-16, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I ended up purchasing my third different set this weekend. I went to Best Buy to pick up the set I had purchased yesterday and decided to ask a few more questions. After finding out that the HDR update to display (without HDR) is not the same as actually having HDR capabilities, I decided to get the next set up that does have HDR. I feel bad for the people that adopted early or adopted recently without investigating the sets that they bought and their incapability of displaying HDR while being locked out of HDR flagged content. I found out that the set I was going to buy (Sony 55X700D) was going to be updated in order to be able to display HDR flagged content but without HDR. I would have been locked out from even viewing that flagged content until the update even in SDR. I went ahead and got the 850D of the same size screen. Went from 60hz to 120hz and actual HDR capabilities. What a nightmare this is. At least I didn't adopt early, spend a lot more money and be locked out of HDR.
Old 09-11-16, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Well, I ended up purchasing my third different set this weekend. I went to Best Buy to pick up the set I had purchased yesterday and decided to ask a few more questions. After finding out that the HDR update to display (without HDR) is not the same as actually having HDR capabilities, I decided to get the next set up that does have HDR. I feel bad for the people that adopted early or adopted recently without investigating the sets that they bought and their incapability of displaying HDR while being locked out of HDR flagged content. I found out that the set I was going to buy (Sony 55X700D) was going to be updated in order to be able to display HDR flagged content but without HDR. I would have been locked out from even viewing that flagged content until the update even in SDR. I went ahead and got the 850D of the same size screen. Went from 60hz to 120hz and actual HDR capabilities. What a nightmare this is. At least I didn't adopt early, spend a lot more money and be locked out of HDR.
I have no idea what you just said. Consumers are going to be screwed one way or another here.
Old 09-11-16, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm quite glad I don't care about any of that stuff.
Old 09-11-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

HDR is the one tech I actually do care about, much more then 4K itself. Sounds like a mess, took a sec to re-read what dsa_shea said but the second time around it made sense
Old 09-11-16, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
HDR is the one tech I actually do care about, much more then 4K itself. Sounds like a mess, took a sec to re-read what dsa_shea said but the second time around it made sense
None of the things I said made sense to me just a day before but when I started to pour through all of the information as well as see things with my own eyes, it started to make sense just a little bit more. Basically, I got a set that has a refresh rate that is "twice" what the original set that I purchased was and it has actual High Dynamic Range capabilities rather than just being able to accept the content and not be able to utilize it to its fullest.
Old 09-12-16, 02:28 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm wondering how the HDR update for regular PS4 is going to work. I thought HDR required hdmi 2.0a.

You made a right decision about getting an HDR set. It's what really sets apart regular Blu-ray vs Ultra 4K IMO. I got lucky and have a set that will display HDR10 and Dolby Vision (Vizio P65 2016), and while the content is still lacking, what is there has knocked my socks off. It's a better picture than most movie theaters offer at the moment. Considering almost all new 4K sets will offer HDR, it's the future of tv displays.
Old 09-12-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

PS4 System Software Update 4.00 Out Tomorrow

Posted by John Koller on Sep 12, 2016 // Vice President, PlayStation Brand Marketing, SIEA

The next major system software update for PS4, version 4.00 (codenamed Shingen), will be available tomorrow. This update brings a refreshed system UI, Folder organization, updates to the Quick Menu and Share Menu, Library improvements, and much more!

We detailed a number of the new features making their way to PS4 prior to the beta program last month, but we wanted to share some additional information on other changes that you’ll see after updating your system.

Quick Menu — Music

In addition to updating the Quick Menu to make it easier to access without leaving your game by having it cover only a portion of the screen and making it more customizable, we’ve also added several new items to the menu. One new addition to the Quick Menu that wasn’t featured in the beta program is an enhanced Music section to allow you to discover, play, and control Spotify without needing to open the app.

From the Music section of the Quick Menu you’ll now be able to play, pause, skip, shuffle, repeat and save songs. The Music section also allows you to discover recommended playlists for the game you’re playing and view your saved Spotify playlists and songs. When you select a playlist, you’ll be able to see all upcoming songs and choose to play all, or select an individual song to listen to from that playlist.

The PlayStation Music team and Spotify have been working with your favorite game creators to create playlists to enhance your gameplay. Follow PlayStation Music on Spotify to get the latest gaming playlists first.

PlayStation 4 Pro Updates

In anticipation of the release of PS4 Pro on November 10, 2016, we’re adding a number of features that will support the system’s ability to output high-resolution content. This update will enable the following on PS4 Pro:

1080p streaming for Remote Play on PC/Mac and compatible Xperia devices
1080p streaming for Share Play
1080p 30/60fps live broadcasting on YouTube
1080p 30fps live broadcasting on Twitch

High Dynamic Range (HDR)

When we announced PS4 Pro and the new slimmer PS4 last week, we also announced that all PlayStation 4 systems — back to the very first console sold in 2013 — would be HDR capable. After updating your system to version 4.00, you’ll see HDR settings in the Video Output Settings and be ready to enjoy HDR gaming and entertainment content once it’s available on any PS4 system you own. Of course, you’ll need an HDR compatible display as well.

What’s New

What’s New has been redesigned and now includes more information about what your friends have been doing on PS4.

The left column includes the new Activity Feed, which has larger images and easily accessible options to like, comment, or reshare. The right column includes sections for Now Playing, Trending, Players You May Know, and Who to Follow.

Content Info Screen

We’ve given a similar redesign to the content info screen, which you can access by pressing down on a game tile while on the home screen. You’ll be able to easily select from a variety of options to view a game’s Overview, Trending media, Friends and Communities, Activities, and related PlayStation Store content.

Data Transfer to New PS4

In order to make it easier to get all of your data from one PS4 to another, especially if you upgrade to PS4 Pro, we’ve added the ability to transfer data over a wired LAN connection. You can transfer games, user info, and saved data. Of course, you can re-download content and transfer saves through the cloud, but the LAN transfer should be much faster and easier.

Those are just some of the more prominent additions making their way to PS4 in this update, but there are a number of other refinements to the system software overall. Please enjoy!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.