Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-13, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: PS4 Release Thread: Kill Launch App #Driveclub due October 2014!!!

Originally Posted by flair
unhooked my ps3, plugged in ps4 with same hookups. 10 minutes of updates and I was playing Ghosts. Easy as can be.
See guys, THIS is why we shouldn't be buy.... oh. Wait. You and 99% of the rest of the purchasers of the system had no issue? Ok, carry on.
Old 11-16-13, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Didn't we have a discussion about how having a universal cord would have been nice on the Wii to WiiU transition? I seem to recall getting mocked for posing such an inane and totally preposterous concept. And here we all are, praising Sony for doing just that. Fuckers.

Originally Posted by TheKing
I think they're just links to the apps, but not actually downloaded. Glorified ads for them if you will.

I think the interface needs work. Say what you want about the XMB, but the PS3 interface was pretty intuitive, and was at least a little flexible. I'm already wishing I could change at least the color of the PS4 background.
Interface needs some work, but I already like it more than the XMB. Way too many options and shit to drill through to find what you wanted on PS3. PS4 is nice and organized by system features (Friends, Settings, Messages, Chat, etc) and then content. Way better than before. They will need a way to sort games eventually, but it appears your most recent one stays at the front of the queue, so that helps.

Not that it's important, but how is it you can't change themes/background?
Old 11-16-13, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Man these server capacity issues aren't giving me high hopes that Sony's fixed their PSN problems.
Old 11-16-13, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Doesn't seem like a wise decision. This will be sold out everywhere for the next 2-3 years.

Edit:NVM Battlefield bundle back in stock on Amazon lol
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Ba...=playstation+4

Killzone bundle is, too
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-...=playstation+4
Amazon PlayStation 4: Launch Edition Ratings so far. 202/5 star ratings & 171/ 4 star ratings. Not looking to good so far. And this is just for one of the editions sold at Amazon.com.
Old 11-16-13, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/M3Pj4PyJgnA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-16-13, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Starting to get pretty nervous. I went to fire up my PS4 just now, pressed the PS button on the controller and the controller light just blinked, no response form the console. Pressed the power button on the console itself, nothing. Unplugged the power cord and plugged it back in, made sure it was plugged into the console firmly, nothing. Unplugged it again and it woked but the screen kept flickering. Unhooked everything and rehooked it up and it is working fine at the moment, but jeez this is making me very worried.
Old 11-16-13, 01:28 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

played some killzone and ghost...I LOVE the 1080p...

Coming from my 360, voice chat quality is horrible with the shit free chat set. Pisses me off I can't use my turtle beach headset.
Old 11-16-13, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
Is there any way to turn off the lightbar while watching something? It seems really odd/stupid that it emits a blue light the entire time.
I greatly dislike the light. It shines right at my TV & reflects back at me. Just dreadful. Maybe some people love it but at least give us the option of disabling it. I may have to use electrician's tape.

Lots of errors trying to sign on, connect etc. Update wouldn't work online but thankfully it was a snap w/the thumb drive. BF4 keeps quitting on me, can't play it w/out it giving me an error message & stopping. But AC4 works fine and KZ is incredible. The graphics blow me away.

Hope they iron some of this stuff out ASAP but I'm def impressed with the new power overall.
Old 11-16-13, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't believe how light the PS4 is. The launch PS3 was a beast.

Really like the controller so far but I can see the light becoming more annoying.

I swapped the hard drive right when it arrived, was super easy and only took a couple minutes. Used a USB flash drive to load the firmware. I read there are 2 update files, one 300mb and another around 900. I originally was only able to find the 300, and from what I read you need the 900 to load the full firmware to the new drive. Found it and and worked out fine. I assume this could all be done through the internet connection but didn't try it.

This is the link I used for the full 900mb firmware on the new drive -- http://us.playstation.com/support/sy...date/index.htm
Old 11-16-13, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did the same. Upgraded to a 1TB SSHD (hybrid drive). You only need the 900mb file if you are replacing the HD.

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the PS4. Minus the few connection issues earlier in the evening, everything was very quick and slick.

Resogun is fantastic. Knack is alright, but I am already seeing how it will become repetitive. It definitely helps if you play the corresponding iOS game for the collectibles. Unfortunately, BF4 and AC4 didn't ship to me yet, as they were the two launch games I wanted to play the most.

Tested out the remote play, and it worked fine on my wifi at home. I would like to test externally using my iphone's personal hotspot.

Anyone know if there is a way to turn off the console light when the PS4 is in standby?
Old 11-16-13, 03:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm really trying to hold off on buying this. Still have to play GTA 5, and a ton of other games
Old 11-16-13, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

So here is my story. 6am on the 14th I get a notice that my system has shippped and has left the facility in Chatanooga TN. Late on the 14th I notice that my package is still in Chatanooga and it had shipped ground and that my order had been combined with anotherorder I made 3-4 days ago. I went about my normal business and did not recieve my package It arrived in Jacksonville FL @ 10 pm last night and when I finally sat down I was a little miffed . Chatted online with a CSR Who was really nice and apologetic He contacted UPS and offered me a $30 gift certificate for my trouble. It has arrived in Gainesville as a of midnight and I am hoping it gets delivered today.
Old 11-16-13, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Starting to get pretty nervous. I went to fire up my PS4 just now, pressed the PS button on the controller and the controller light just blinked, no response form the console. Pressed the power button on the console itself, nothing. Unplugged the power cord and plugged it back in, made sure it was plugged into the console firmly, nothing. Unplugged it again and it woked but the screen kept flickering. Unhooked everything and rehooked it up and it is working fine at the moment, but jeez this is making me very worried.
Did you perhaps have it on stand by before you went to turn it on? Just a theory, but I'm guessing the system hung going into/out of stand by, which required you to do a complete power cycle.

This is the shitty thing about having a touch activated button, it seems like when the system hangs, you have to pull the power cord, instead of just holding down the power button to reset it. I really wish they didn't go with touch buttons again. I've already accidentally ejected a disc while plugging in the USB cable.
Old 11-16-13, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cruzness
So here is my story. 6am on the 14th I get a notice that my system has shippped and has left the facility in Chatanooga TN. Late on the 14th I notice that my package is still in Chatanooga and it had shipped ground and that my order had been combined with anotherorder I made 3-4 days ago. I went about my normal business and did not recieve my package It arrived in Jacksonville FL @ 10 pm last night and when I finally sat down I was a little miffed . Chatted online with a CSR Who was really nice and apologetic He contacted UPS and offered me a $30 gift certificate for my trouble. It has arrived in Gainesville as a of midnight and I am hoping it gets delivered today.
The exact same thing happened to a friend, but he won't be getting it until Monday, since UPS doesn't deliver on Saturdays unless you add that option. He managed to get a $300 credit and a year of prime from Amazon because of it.
Old 11-16-13, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Didn't we have a discussion about how having a universal cord would have been nice on the Wii to WiiU transition? I seem to recall getting mocked for posing such an inane and totally preposterous concept. And here we all are, praising Sony for doing just that. Fuckers.

Interface needs some work, but I already like it more than the XMB. Way too many options and shit to drill through to find what you wanted on PS3. PS4 is nice and organized by system features (Friends, Settings, Messages, Chat, etc) and then content. Way better than before. They will need a way to sort games eventually, but it appears your most recent one stays at the front of the queue, so that helps.

Not that it's important, but how is it you can't change themes/background?
I think part of my issue with the PS4 interface is the lack of options. It feels too much like Windows 8, too dumbed down. Yeah the PS3 was confusing, but you had control. The PS4 took that control away, leaving far fewer things to tweak. But this is day 1 (or 2 now) and I hope after they get feedback from us brave souls, we'll get one that really works.

There are many good things there, especially the speed. Everything is just so much faster now, it's easy to forgive the design flaws.
Old 11-16-13, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Wow. Got home, opened the Amazon box, hooked everything up...and nothing. Pulsing blue light, no video signal. HDMI cable is seated fine. No obvious metal or anything. Tried 3 different HDMI cables and two different TVs.

Guess I'm calling Sony.

EDIT: Ended up ordering the BF4 Bundle from Amazon and it'll be here Monday. Fuck, there goes my weekend of playing a new system. And I have to return the copy of BF4 I already bought. Sucks.
I was looking over at the Playstation Support Forum and there is a topic...

Broken Playstation 4 Systems that was started shortly after midnight launch...it now how (51) pages. The issues I'm seeing in the thread are...
Flashing Blue Lights and Shutting Down in 5-10 Minutes.

http://community.us.playstation.com/.../td-p/42122503

Also saw this posted...PS4 blue flashing, blinking, pulsing light and blank screen fix .....http://www.psu.com/a021667/PS4-blue-...nk-screen-fix-

Last edited by K&AJones; 11-16-13 at 07:49 AM.
Old 11-16-13, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is having problems connecting to the Playstation Store, accessing their library, or downloading Netflix or any of the other apps try restoring the licenses. Go to Settings ---PSN--Restore Licenses.

Yesterday and last night I had no access to any of the above, i just assumed it was a network/PSN thing, but apparently restoring the licenses fixed it.
Old 11-16-13, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wasn't that because the Wii and Wii U have external power bricks, so if the systems have different power requirements causing the bricks to be different, that it would help prevent people from connecting the wrong power brick to each system?

Sony doesn't have an external power brick, so it just uses a basic power cord that has been used for decades to deliver the electricity to the PS4.
Old 11-16-13, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Played a bit of Warframe. It's kind of fun, but it definitely has that typical "janky" feel of a Digital Extremes game. I'll probably keep playing it at least for a few days, but the controls, especially melee, are really bad.
Old 11-16-13, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
Did you perhaps have it on stand by before you went to turn it on? Just a theory, but I'm guessing the system hung going into/out of stand by, which required you to do a complete power cycle.
It shouldn't have been in standby because I purposely avoid using the standby mode.
Old 11-16-13, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I always power off my console(s) when I'm doing using them for any amount of time over less than a half or so. Does anyone have any numbers on consoles sold on and since launch day?
Old 11-16-13, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is pretty cool...

"If you turn on HDMI cec, the console will wake up from standby when you switch to its input."
Old 11-16-13, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Standby is pretty sweet, power usage is basically nonexistent at only 10 watts.
Old 11-16-13, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I was looking over at the Playstation Support Forum and there is a topic...

Broken Playstation 4 Systems that was started shortly after midnight launch...it now how (51) pages. The issues I'm seeing in the thread are...
Flashing Blue Lights and Shutting Down in 5-10 Minutes.

http://community.us.playstation.com/.../td-p/42122503

Also saw this posted...PS4 blue flashing, blinking, pulsing light and blank screen fix .....http://www.psu.com/a021667/PS4-blue-...nk-screen-fix-
Yeah, I tried those things before packing it up. It was just DOA. Ah well, a new one will be here soon.
Old 11-16-13, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

How do you switch users without having to turn the system off? I'm sure there's an easy way, but I can't figure it out. I'd like my son to be able to play Resogun and flower on his own account.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.