Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: PS4 Release Thread: Kill Launch App #Driveclub due October 2014!!!

stupid question, but is there a screensaver on the PS4? I cannot find it and I have a new plasma coming next week. I'd like to not worry about burn in.
Old 12-14-13, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do TV's still get burn marks? Not sure if there is a screensaver, but wouldn't it be easy just to turn off the TV if you are going to leave the console on and unattended for awhile?
Old 12-14-13, 06:05 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Do TV's still get burn marks? Not sure if there is a screensaver, but wouldn't it be easy just to turn off the TV if you are going to leave the console on and unattended for awhile?
Newer TVs don't have this problem too much. But to play it safe, it's a good idea to "break in" a plasma TV by playing favorite movies that are full screen for around 100 hours. But newer TVs should have image retention prevention software to help reduce the risk of burn in.
Old 12-14-13, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

I have a newer plasma (couple years old) and it will retain images very easily, but usually will go away after a few seconds of a different screen.
Old 12-15-13, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

The PS4 doesn't (that I know of), but your plasma will probably have something you can run when you aren't watching to prevent image retention.
Old 12-15-13, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Music
I have a newer plasma (couple years old) and it will retain images very easily, but usually will go away after a few seconds of a different screen.
Yea...we have a 2.5 yr old Panny (GT30 55") and it will show some image retention after long sessions or constant play of the same game. By far the Disney WOW disc has been a blessing and highly recommended. The Panny has a 15 min rolling line for dealing with it but the Disney WOW has Pixel Orbitor that can go as long as you want. Plus they have a whole set of short takes oon the popular animation flicks from Toy Story, Monsters,Inc and others where you can just loop them.

Played Knack yesterday or we played. It's good and fun but I see a few areas where some small issues are...

Even on Easy...there are not enough "Health" especially after a battle between bouts. Energy wasn't bad but still not enough. Many cases we would come into a big boss battle with only one full ring or none at all. Can't imagine what it's like on Medium or hard.

Easy was too Easy...some of the puzzel areas was nothing but time and run w/jump.

When you die...you go back to the beginning in some cases to far.The save points especially in a Boss Battle need moved instead of starting over.

Overall the game looked and played great. Simplified controls and action was pretty cool when Knack shrunk and expanded. The fight scenes were good and the "slo-mo" punch was a neat touch. I don't think the game deserved the beating the so-called experts dished out. Something around a 7.5 of 10 for me.
Old 12-15-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I died my fair share on times on Knack (also on Easy) but thought it was really generous with checkpoints. There were only one or two times I wish I hadn't been bumped back so far. Other than those, I respawned just about where I died.

My current annoyance with the PS4 is Blu-ray playback. The playback in The Big Gundown was really stuttery...the audio didn't lose sync, but it looked like it was only playing 8-12 frames a second instead of the usual 24. Played without too much of a hitch on the Xbox One, though. (I got a warning on the Xbox One that I'd never seen before about unsigned BD-Live code or something. Crashed back to the main menu when I hit 'okay'; played fine when I selected 'cancel' instead. Once the actual movie started playing, it's as perfect as I could've hoped to see.)
Old 12-15-13, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
The PS4 doesn't (that I know of), but your plasma will probably have something you can run when you aren't watching to prevent image retention.
Good point about the image retention improvements. I'm upgrading from an 8 year old Panny plasma, so it's been a while and I'm sure there have been advancements in the TVs themselves...
Old 12-15-13, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, one month later, what do you like most about your PS4? (We all know about the issues, let's try to stay positive here)
Old 12-15-13, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually like the interface a lot. It's clean, fast, and I've had no problems finding what I'm looking for.
Old 12-15-13, 05:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I like how the dearth of games means I can spend more time with my family.
Old 12-15-13, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

I like the Cross Buy addition to the library. I'm getting PS4 versions of Flower, flOw, Escape Plan, Pinball FX2 without paying a penny more. Also getting Pinball Arcade at some sort of a discount this Tuesday, I guess.
What's better than backwards-compatibility? Next-Gen Cross-Buy.

Also : Best game on the system is free for PS Plus is nice too. (No, not Contrast).
Old 12-15-13, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I actually like the interface a lot. It's clean, fast, and I've had no problems finding what I'm looking for.
I just got my PS4 on Thursday, but I'm not a fan of the interface at all. I'm sure I'm in the minority. Maybe it will grow on me. It's definitely cleaner (i.e. less options), but I really don't know where anything is yet. The PS3 XMB was bigger and more complicated, but I feel like it gave me more control of where files went. I have no idea where game save files are on PS4, or how to get rid of all those video apps I'll never install. I have Netflix and Hulu, but there's about ten others I'll never use that show up in the list with them. When I click on them, it only gives me the option to download and install them. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
Old 12-15-13, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

If it is giving you the option to download and install, then there is nothing to delete.

Hopefully, they add the option to hide those.
Old 12-15-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I guess you can't delete it. Hide would be better. It feels like that main "section" in the middle is just one big advertisement after another. I pretty much don't want ANY of that stuff. Playroom, Music Unlimited, all those Video Services, etc. I don't even like to look at it. The PS3 layout was much bigger, but it made sense and there wasn't any giant icons of things that you didn't want. Every time I start up the PS4 I keep asking myself, "why is all this crap here?!?" There's not even a "games" category, just library. But that includes everything you've downloaded.

At one point I had about 60 games installed on my PS3... I can't even imagine what the PS4 is going to look like if I ever get to that point again. The layout doesn't seem conducive to organization.
Old 12-15-13, 09:39 PM

I like the new trophy listing that shows what percentage of players got each trophy. I wish the PS3 and Xbox 360 had that.
Old 12-15-13, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bippitty
I like the new trophy listing that shows what percentage of players got each trophy. I wish the PS3 and Xbox 360 had that.
That's a great addition. Right now, at least the UI, achievements in the X1 are inferioie to the 360.
Old 12-16-13, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bippitty
Didn't they add that to the PS3? Or maybe it was Vita, or the web? I've seen it somewhere and I don't have a PS4.
Old 12-16-13, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm getting more comfortable with the PS4 after being with XBL for so many years. Though I still like with XBL the party/game invite notice was more apparent. I do like the "History" part where you can pull up and see what friends have done though I really haven't done much with it. There is still a lot I haven't tried and done with parts of the PS4.

If anything it's the games that have taken my attention. I've played Resogun, BF4, Warframe and now Knack. I'm a stickler for details and pay attention to the smallest with lighting, texture, depth and realism. Like games before it, with Knack I just found myself just looking around. Stone, rocks, pavement and brick even in this animation style game still looked better and more real than in 360 games...even up close and not fuzzy bits.
Old 12-16-13, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

One thing I noticed this weekend was how quick the controller powers up. With the 360/PS3 it would take 10-20 seconds to power on and sync. DS4 is damn near instant. Pretty cool.
Old 12-16-13, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by redbill
Didn't they add that to the PS3? Or maybe it was Vita, or the web? I've seen it somewhere and I don't have a PS4.
It's on the Playstation App if you have that. Or the web. But yeah, it does show the percentages for all your PS3 trophies as well, you just can't see it on the PS3 itself. The PS3 console still displays trophy info the way it always has. But somewhere out in cyberspace it's keeping track of the PS3 percentages also.

Last edited by 19K; 12-16-13 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-16-13, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just tried out that Live from Playstation feature. That was pretty cool... watching everyones streaming gameplay. Some of it is pretty funny. Especially the people streaming BF4 footage. The video quality isn't the best, but watching peoples facial expressions during hectic battle situations is priceless.
Old 12-16-13, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 19K
Yeah, I guess you can't delete it. Hide would be better. It feels like that main "section" in the middle is just one big advertisement after another. I pretty much don't want ANY of that stuff. Playroom, Music Unlimited, all those Video Services, etc. I don't even like to look at it. The PS3 layout was much bigger, but it made sense and there wasn't any giant icons of things that you didn't want. Every time I start up the PS4 I keep asking myself, "why is all this crap here?!?" There's not even a "games" category, just library. But that includes everything you've downloaded.

At one point I had about 60 games installed on my PS3... I can't even imagine what the PS4 is going to look like if I ever get to that point again. The layout doesn't seem conducive to organization.
You don't really need to organize your games and apps. The system organizes itself.

The ten (I think it's ten) apps you've used most recently are in order on the horizontal bar (the first always being the disk in the drive), and the ones you haven't used migrate to the library. Even if you delete a game from the HDD, the icon stays in the library with a "download icon".

Honestly, once I understood what they were doing, I lost all desire to organize my games.

Organizing my friends list on the other hand...
Old 12-16-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Finished up Contrast last night and immediately deleted it from the system. Even for a free PS+ game, that one easily one of the worst games I played this year.
Old 12-16-13, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

In stock on BestBuy.com (w/ CoD Ghosts) for $449. Or w/ a 12-month Plus membership.

Or without bundle: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-pla...O3VOBnGla0Vk4A

Last edited by RichC2; 12-16-13 at 11:24 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.