Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-21, 10:40 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts
re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

I finally figured this out today. I got tired of the kids not having controllers charged, which is why I got the new pair to begin with a few months back. I found a blog with a solution I hadn't heard of before and followed their steps. I held down the PS4 power button for ten seconds to power it off. After the lights stopped, I unplugged it for three minutes. Then, I replugged it in, plugged in the USB cable, plugged in the controller, turned on the PS4, and was able to sync both of the new controllers, plus the one that got unpaired and the lost controlled showed up so I paired that, too. Now we have 6 all paired and ready to go.
The following 3 users liked this post by story:
fujishig (09-27-21), K&AJones (09-27-21), Michael Corvin (09-27-21)
Old 05-26-22, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

RIP to the PS4 games in 2025?

Full Article

https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-ex...xduV-h_nMNt4kQ

At the latest Sony investor presentation, Sony revealed that it plans to be done with PS4 games by 2025. Additionally, the company also explored the growth they’ve had in the PC and mobile realms, and used numbers to examine the past and predict the future of releases.

In the 2019 fiscal year, almost all Sony's releases were on PS4. But the estimated spread for 2022’s fiscal year accounts for Sony’s recent success on PC, and includes their foray into mobile as well. For 2025? There is nary a mention of the PS4. Instead, half the graph broadcasts releases for the PS5. Sony expects that PC should account for around 30% and mobile 20% for the rest of that fiscal year’s releases.
Old 05-26-22, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

That's just for first-party titles though, right? Third party studios may opt to release a PS4 version for longer.

Also, that's still almost 2 1/2 years away, and will be a little over 4 years after the release of the PS5, and 11 years after the PS4 launched. That'd be like Nintendo still making games for the NES in 1996.
Old 05-26-22, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Since we're talking about financial years where Sony is concerned, "2025" starts on April 1st, 2024. Not that it makes a huge difference, but still...!
Old 05-28-22, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

This isn’t much of a surprise. I’d be shocked if there’s much beyond the end of this year.
Old 05-28-22, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
This isn’t much of a surprise. I’d be shocked if there’s much beyond the end of this year.
Yeah, no different than any other gen. Most companies move on but you'll still see your Maddens, FIFAs, CoDs (normally anyway).

Hell I want to say they were still releasing Just Dance games for the Wii almost up until the Switch came out.
Old 05-28-22, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Hell I want to say they were still releasing Just Dance games for the Wii almost up until the Switch came out.
Longer than that, even! The last Just Dance game on the Wii came out in November 2019 — 13 years after the console launched.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (05-29-22)
Old 05-29-22, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

​​​​​Two years AFTER the Switch launched. That's pretty wild. Made it through the entire WiiU lifespan and into the Switch generation.
Old 11-24-23, 11:18 AM

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to have me and both of my kids be able to login on the same PS4 at the same time and be able to play an online game.

For example, we want to play Gauntlet Slayer Edition with a friend who is online. The three of us are in the same house on the same PS4. But if more than one of us tries to login, then it says one of us isn't logged into the network so it has to be offline play, and then we can't play with our online friend.

We had high hopes to try the Borderlands games together, but same issue, no way for us all to be logged in so we can all continue our progress.

I've tried looking for the magical article on this one and am coming up short. Any ideas?
Old 11-24-23, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Do you have more than one PS4? I think it'll work if your console is set as the primary console for your PS plus account, because that should extend your online sub to every profile on that PS4. If it's not your primary, only your account can play. Unfortunately I have no firsthand experience with doing coop on one machine this way, though this reddit post seems to indicate it would work?

https://www.reddit.com/r/PlayStation...screen_online/
https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo3/com..._same_console/
story (11-25-23)
Old 11-24-23, 11:47 AM

We have one PS4.

My account is the primary account for it.

My kids each have their own PS4 account.

When we play couch co-op on games like Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time, Sonic Racing, Gauntlet Slayer Edition, etc., the kids login to their accounts. It works fine for that.

But the trick we can't figure out is how to handle online games where independent progression matters. If we were going to do Borderlands, for example, not sure how we'd all keep our progress, play on our own if we weren't all there, etc. without focusing on my account.

I'm sure there's a way, but I'm missing something.
Old 11-24-23, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

From what I can find online, the games you mention should support everyone local being logged into their account, and being able to add an online player to the game:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps4/69...s4-couch-co-op
https://www.co-optimus.com/game/3983.../gauntlet.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/Borderlands...screen_online/

One possible issue may be the number of PS+ accounts, and what each user has set as their primary PS4
https://www.playstationtrophies.org/...screen-on-ps4/
To use Splitscreen in any supported game on the PS4, you need 2 unique PS Plus enabled User Accounts on your PS4 because Sony changed how it works compared to the PS3 so both accounts can only access their own saves and not each other's but also added a PS Plus requirement. This means that self-power levelling and inter-character trading is now impossible in Splitscreen, unless you have another account handy. Minecraft is exactly the same on the PS4 and also requires Plus, even if you just want to play in Splitscreen.

If you set all your accounts as Primaries, then they should be able to access your main account's PS Plus Subscription at a basic level and allow online play.
I think that's a bit confusing, but I believe they're saying your kids' accounts need to set your PS4 as their primary console to share the PS4+ subscription on your account.
story (11-25-23)
Old 11-25-23, 01:46 AM

Thank you, I was able to get one child's account all set to go. And the other...

The other child's account received a permanent suspension WS-37368-7 and I have no idea why.

They don't even use that account except for local play. They always use my account to play Minecraft with friends, they don't message people with their account, they don't use a headset to say mean things, and they don't have a credit card authorized to make purchases. I can't think of a single reason why their account has a permanent suspension.

I'm going to try this solution from reddit next week and see how it goes.

One thing that came from setting this up is the thought of picking up a second PS4 cheap on the local secondary market. We have two TVs and that could give us more potential games to play together, which is always a lot of fun. After going through this, though, I'll make any seller tell me if their console has been permabanned before purchase!