Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 12-04-18, 10:59 PM   #8201
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

I have a launch PS4. No heat or spinning noise issues here.
Old 12-05-18, 07:42 AM   #8202
K&AJones
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My too is a launch release model and thankfully no issues....though I thought flickering was due to it, was the Lamp.

I haven't felt Hot but I get typical spinning sound where disc is loading but it's not loud. I do occasional unplug everything and take a can of Air and blow out the vents trying to get dust out...pretty much how you need to clean inside a PC Tower from time-to-time. I actually need to take mine apart and do a through inspection and do a deep clean especially the fan.

"If there's nothing wrong with me, then there must be something wrong with the universe" -Dr. Crusher-Star Trek
Old 12-05-18, 11:22 AM   #8203
slop101
DVD Talk Hero

Mine is just a bit post-launch, but with a newer/bigger hard-drive, zero issues. Though I haven't played an actual disc in it in a long time - I've gone all digital for the last year.
Old 12-05-18, 11:51 AM   #8204
Maxflier
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Question:

I have a PS4 from roughly 2015-ish. And I'm just curious, do these models from that timeframe tend to generate a lot of heat?

I was playing NBA 2K19 last night and after I finished the top of my console was burning hot. I never really paid too much attention to this before. Also the disc spinning makes a lot of noise.
It's an NBA 2k thing. I don't know what it is about that game, but sometimes (mainly in My Career mode) it will turn the PS4 into a jet engine and it does get pretty hot. I'm not sure why it happens because it seems to happen even just in menus sometimes which you wouldn't think would be something that would not be stressing the machine, but it certainly is.
It does happen with other games as well, but 2k is the one that I noticed it the most.
Switch:SW-7570-2348-9702

My Countdown Counting down to: The first Saturday in May.
143 days 21 hours 0 minutes
Old 12-05-18, 12:38 PM   #8205
fujishig
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
It's an NBA 2k thing. I don't know what it is about that game, but sometimes (mainly in My Career mode) it will turn the PS4 into a jet engine and it does get pretty hot. I'm not sure why it happens because it seems to happen even just in menus sometimes which you wouldn't think would be something that would not be stressing the machine, but it certainly is.
It does happen with other games as well, but 2k is the one that I noticed it the most.
Yes, I have this happen in 2K as well, and I have a launch PS4. It doesn't help that because of the stupid VC, it is constantly reading and writing data to their servers.
Old 12-05-18, 02:16 PM   #8206
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

My PS4 is about a year after launch, whenever they replaced the glossy part with all matte, but I recall the fan getting pretty loud with God of War. I don't think it ever got too hot though.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 12-05-18, 05:37 PM   #8207
shadokitty
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Was browsing Amazon today, and saw Spider Man for $39.99 for either disc or digital. Waffling about it, as Iím not sure if I need a new game right now.