Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews
 



Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-13-18, 08:07 PM   #8076
DthRdrX
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,650
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

I finally got a Pro off BB's website last night. I picked 2 day shipping so I would be able to use it this weekend. They shipped it from West Columbia, SC, which is a few miles from Myrtle Beach. It never went out today so I can only imagine when that will come in.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 08:50 PM   #8077
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 20,420
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
They shipped it from West Columbia, SC, which is a few miles from Myrtle Beach.
It's about 150 miles from Myrtle Beach and well inland. You might still be okay.
__________________
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-18, 10:06 PM   #8078
DthRdrX
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,650
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

Yea, it depends on which hub or store it is at. The zip code from that city it not on the closed list on the UPS site but the package has not moved all day.

It's not a big deal, just thought it was funny I paid for 2 day shipping and will probably get it a week later. lol
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-18, 12:04 PM   #8079
Spiderbite
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 12,997
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

I never bought a PS4 (myself and my son generally prefer the Xbox) and was thinking about getting one for some of the big exclusives but also mainly for the VR stuff. (mainly for my kid as a xmas gift)

Any thoughts on the VR stuff here? Anyone use it to also watch movies? Is it too late to throw out that kind of money since there is talk of a new console and VR set-up possibly sometime in 2020?

There are two new PSVR bundles on the way that include two games each:

Creed: Rise to Glory and Superhot VR, PSVR, Camera, Demo Disc, Two Move controllers - $349.99 - 9/25
Astro Bot Rescue Mission and Moss, PSVR, Camera, Demo Disc - $299.99 - 10/2

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018...wo-games-each/
__________________
Xbox Live: FatalSpiderbite
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-18, 03:46 PM   #8080
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,404
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

I enjoyed it while I had one. Mine got scratched up when my wife was wearing glasses, so we ended up returning it. But I thought about picking one up again to play through RE7 and Moss. That new squad shooter sounds really good too, but I think it's also online only.
__________________
Xbox Gamertag: Skillz 247 LP Playstation ID: Skillz247LP Wii U: Skillz247LP Wii Code: 3960 3828 1411 7474
My Blu Ray Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-18, 10:20 AM   #8081
Decker
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 40,277
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

Just got the just-released PDP Cloud Remote for PS4.



While I can't make use of its biggest feature (controlling the TV with the PS4 remote) since my volume comes through surround speakers through an amplifier instead of out the TV speakers, I will say that it is a well made media remote that I wish had come out years ago. Sturdy, easy to navigate. I like it.
__________________
Xbox Live: Decker 01........... My 360's Blog
PSN Gamertag : Decker01

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-18, 11:14 AM   #8082
slop101
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 37,724
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

Is there still no official Sony remote for the PS4?
__________________
Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's going to die, come watch TV.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-18, 11:49 AM   #8083
Decker
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 40,277
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

Nope, that's the closest thing to one.
__________________
Xbox Live: Decker 01........... My 360's Blog
PSN Gamertag : Decker01

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 08:56 AM   #8084
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,404
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

If you were looking to get a Pro and were planning on getting RDR2 anyway, Sony has you covered

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-pl...?skuId=6301643
__________________
Xbox Gamertag: Skillz 247 LP Playstation ID: Skillz247LP Wii U: Skillz247LP Wii Code: 3960 3828 1411 7474
My Blu Ray Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 09:45 AM   #8085
andicus
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,598
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Just got the just-released PDP Cloud Remote for PS4.



While I can't make use of its biggest feature (controlling the TV with the PS4 remote) since my volume comes through surround speakers through an amplifier instead of out the TV speakers, I will say that it is a well made media remote that I wish had come out years ago. Sturdy, easy to navigate. I like it.
Are you sure the volume request won't get passed to your amp via HDMI?

My Marantz receiver does that. The only thing is, you need to make sure the TV is turned on before the receiver, or it doesn't realize it's there. In that case, the TV volume control affects the TV rather than the receiver.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 09:51 AM   #8086
Decker
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 40,277
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Are you sure the volume request won't get passed to your amp via HDMI?

My Marantz receiver does that. The only thing is, you need to make sure the TV is turned on before the receiver, or it doesn't realize it's there. In that case, the TV volume control affects the TV rather than the receiver.
Nope. The reason they call this remote a "Cloud Remote" is that it comes with a PS4 app that auto-detects what kind of TV you have and automatically adds those functions to the remote.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 09:59 AM   #8087
joeblow69
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 7,263
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

Does anyone have Playstation Now? It's their streaming service, but apparently you can download most of the PS2 and PS4 games now. Might be worth it, $30 for 3 months isn't bad for PS+ members.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 03:37 PM   #8088
andicus
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,598
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Nope. The reason they call this remote a "Cloud Remote" is that it comes with a PS4 app that auto-detects what kind of TV you have and automatically adds those functions to the remote.
I'm not sure how that negates what I'm saying. As an example, if I use my TV remote to change the volume, my TV and my receiver understand that that request is to be handled by the receiver. So the TV tells the receiver to change the volume. The TV remote can't be programmed to directly change the volume on my receiver. So the signal path is basically TVRemote->IR signal->TV->HDMI-CEC->Receiver.

It sounds like this remote would know that you have a particular TV (LG, in my case) and tell the TV (likely through HDMI-CEC) to change volume. Then your TV would pass that to your receiver, in the same manner. I.e. PS4Remote->Bluetooth->PS4->HDMI-CEC->TV->HDMI-CEC->Receiver.

My TV remote is not a programmable or smart remote.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 04:18 PM   #8089
davidh777
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 40,155
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

I still have my PS4-compatible media remote in plastic because I still stream mostly on the PS3. I like the PS3 media remote much better than the X1 remote.
__________________
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2018 | Drive-In 2018 | Leap Day 2016
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 04:25 PM   #8090
Decker
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 40,277
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I'm not sure how that negates what I'm saying. As an example, if I use my TV remote to change the volume, my TV and my receiver understand that that request is to be handled by the receiver. So the TV tells the receiver to change the volume. The TV remote can't be programmed to directly change the volume on my receiver. So the signal path is basically TVRemote->IR signal->TV->HDMI-CEC->Receiver.

It sounds like this remote would know that you have a particular TV (LG, in my case) and tell the TV (likely through HDMI-CEC) to change volume. Then your TV would pass that to your receiver, in the same manner. I.e. PS4Remote->Bluetooth->PS4->HDMI-CEC->TV->HDMI-CEC->Receiver.

My TV remote is not a programmable or smart remote.
It only controls the Volume and the power button on the plugged-in TV. Nothing else. There are plenty of explanations on the Amazon reviews of the product that confirm this :

https://www.amazon.com/PDP-Cloud-Med...R39GTDKKAZMS4C
__________________
Xbox Live: Decker 01........... My 360's Blog
PSN Gamertag : Decker01

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 04:41 PM   #8091
Noonan
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 9,606
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

Could he be talking about ARC HDMI where it's all done between the devices with a remote signal for the TV only?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 04:46 PM   #8092
fujishig
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 25,052
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I still have my PS4-compatible media remote in plastic because I still stream mostly on the PS3. I like the PS3 media remote much better than the X1 remote.
Me too. Actually, I still play physical media on the PS3 as well. Though I do use the Harmony to control the PS4 sometimes, the main thing it's missing is the ability to turn the dumb thing on.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 07:53 PM   #8093
DthRdrX
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,650
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack



Just the game with it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 08:05 PM   #8094
davidh777
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 40,155
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Me too. Actually, I still play physical media on the PS3 as well. Though I do use the Harmony to control the PS4 sometimes, the main thing it's missing is the ability to turn the dumb thing on.
Yep, I play BDs on the PS3. It helps that I play games more often on the X1 and PS4 so it's easier to keep game discs in those and shuffle movie discs in and out of the PS3.
__________________
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2018 | Drive-In 2018 | Leap Day 2016
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 08:18 PM   #8095
andicus
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,598
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Could he be talking about ARC HDMI where it's all done between the devices with a remote signal for the TV only?
It's actually not ARC, but HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronic Control).

I've tried to explain it as simply as possible, even using rudimentary 'diagrams' but I guess it's not getting through.

Decker, it's your TV, NOT the remote (directly) that is telling your receiver to change volume. It's doing this through HDMI.

In fact, you can find some comments on Reddit where people talk about doing the inverse. I.e. they're using their TV remotes to control the PS4.

You do need a TV AND a receiver that both support this feature. Which TV do you have, and which receiver? Look for an HDMI control setting in your receiver setup. For your TV the name of the feature depends on the brand.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 09:55 AM   #8096
K&AJones
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 7,143
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post


Just the game with it.
I noticed that when I first saw the news and images....For a "Edition" that has no wrap or anything about the game itself is sort of cheesy compared to the recent PS4 SE like Star Wars, God of War and Spiderman. Not unless you want to prop that box up next to your new PS4 Pro or cut out and tape the front to the top of the console and say, "hey...I got a Red Dead Redemption II SE PS4 Pro"...
__________________
XBox 360 -BuzzZaw66
PSN -BuzzZaw82

"If there's nothing wrong with me, then there must be something wrong with the universe" -Dr. Crusher-Star Trek
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 10:13 AM   #8097
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 54,704
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
I noticed that when I first saw the news and images....For a "Edition" that has no wrap or anything about the game itself is sort of cheesy compared to the recent PS4 SE like Star Wars, God of War and Spiderman. Not unless you want to prop that box up next to your new PS4 Pro or cut out and tape the front to the top of the console and say, "hey...I got a Red Dead Redemption II SE PS4 Pro"...
Plenty of bundles just include a game without a special design, i'm not sure how it's cheesy. Given how terrible a lot of the designs have been, not necessarily a bad thing. I'm sure there's a lot of people that just want an excuse to get a new console and game and don't need or want anything to stand out.
__________________
4x Sheep Champion
VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL | SHEEPERHERO II

And of course you can GFY. -chess
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 10:18 AM   #8098
Obi-Wan Jabroni
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,059
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

It's not a SE console, and it's not being billed as one. It's just the console bundled with the game, like endless bundles before it. It's for people that don't have a Pro and want to play RDR2. It's not a collectible edition.

EDIT: fumanstan beat me to it
__________________
"I doubt anyone would use any of my comments in their signature." - gcribbs

-----
PSN: CactusKind
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 11:34 AM   #8099
K&AJones
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 7,143
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

My point was for a game that's being considered, talked about, hyped as THE GAME this year, you would see a bit more than just a box with the image and a normal looking PS4 Pro...then again there's the Xbox One Fallout 76 Bundle that's basically the same; a nice looking box, normal console, controller and game inside. Essentially it's buy the console and get the game free that actually sounds and is a better deal than a fancy smancy logo design on top of the console.....
__________________
XBox 360 -BuzzZaw66
PSN -BuzzZaw82

"If there's nothing wrong with me, then there must be something wrong with the universe" -Dr. Crusher-Star Trek
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 11:58 AM   #8100
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 54,704
Re: PS4: 0 days without a DDoS attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
My point was for a game that's being considered, talked about, hyped as THE GAME this year, you would see a bit more than just a box with the image and a normal looking PS4 Pro...then again there's the Xbox One Fallout 76 Bundle that's basically the same; a nice looking box, normal console, controller and game inside. Essentially it's buy the console and get the game free that actually sounds and is a better deal than a fancy smancy logo design on top of the console.....
Hype around the game doesn't mean anything, whatever marketing deal may just not lend itself to a special console version. Although since you admit with your last sentence that it sounds better anyway... what's the problem then?
__________________
4x Sheep Champion
VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL | SHEEPERHERO II

And of course you can GFY. -chess
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 AM.

...
Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0