Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts
re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

My guess, smaller size; better cooling; Ultra HD/4K; more ram; no difference in software.
Old 03-24-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, i'm starting to think UHD media support plus small upgrades are going to be more likely. I still like the idea of a mid generation refresh/upgrade, but I'm skeptical at how significant it will actually be.
Old 03-26-16, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Anyone here plan on getting "Alienation".....price got release yesterday with a trailer in the PS Store....$18.00.
Old 03-26-16, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Anyone here plan on getting "Alienation".....price got release yesterday with a trailer in the PS Store....$18.00.
Price is $20. It's 10% off (and includes a Dynamic Theme) with preorder as part of the Launch Party promotion. Since literally EVERY Housemarque Sony-exclusive game (and the multi-platform game Outland) has gone free on PS Plus, it's a safe bet to say this one probably will as well. Still it looks cool. I'm torn on whether to preorder it or not...
Old 03-26-16, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Those Devs are pretty good and what they did with Resogun was great...and it turned out to help sell the PS4. Sure, it might end up in the "Free this Month" bin but I don't mind supporting the smaller outfits out there when they turn out good stuff. I think there is drop in match making which if that's the case I'll get it. It'll be one of those games where you want to break away and play something different for an hour or so here & there.

What I am torn about is either Battleborn and Overwatch not to mention Paragon. Battleborn looks fun and has that important co-op campaign/story mode like Borderlands I hope. But Overwatch from Blizzard might be a real surprise. Paragon from Epic might bring back the glory days of Unreal Tournamnet...my all time favorite game.
Old 03-28-16, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Report: Sony's more powerful PS4 to be announced before PlayStation VR launch.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/28/113...ation-4k-rumor
Old 03-30-16, 10:42 AM

I posted it in the PSN thread, but the PS4 Free games with PS Plus are Dead Star (accidentally announced a few weeks ago) and Zombi. That Zombi game looked kinda fun and is one that I was interested in but never picked up, so for that.
Old 03-30-16, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Zombi is alright. Closest thing we have to a modern day Condemned, though not nearly as memorable.
Old 03-30-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

More PS4K rumors, this time direct on NeoGAF. Take it for what it's worth since it's from a poster there, although he is verified on the site.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202462

Related info from a meeting we had yesterday was waiting for it to be approved before posting.

Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.) also there is currently no plan for any type of trade in program for current PS4 users but that could change.

They stated that the GPU is twice as powerful as standard PS4 and much faster. They did not say exactly how fast but that is was running at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original.

It will have a 4k blu ray player and will upscale games that are not natively 4k.

Also there was talk of some sort of VR lounge for the media player app which is supposed to be getting a substantial upgrade.

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer. When asked if this was going to happen the response was "Its a possibility but doubtful with the exception of a handful of games."
We were also given a list of games that will be available at launch that will directly take advantage of the PS4K where the differences are and I will quote him "Significant."

For the PSVR

Eve Valkyrie
Robinson
GT Sport

For the PS4K

Deep Down (Thought this was dead)
GOW4 (This was the exact abbreviation on the sheet I can only assume its god of war 4)

There were more games on the list but these are the ones that stood out to me.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head I'll see if I can get any more information.
Old 04-03-16, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Well that's one way to kill your winning generation.
Old 04-03-16, 09:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So I'm guessing there won't be any kind of upgrade of our current PS4's to support 4K?
Old 04-03-16, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
So I'm guessing there won't be any kind of upgrade of our current PS4's to support 4K?
I don't think there is a way you can just upgrade it via software.
Old 04-04-16, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't see how. The only way they have to expand would be via the USB ports, and I don't think they're feasible for a GPU or CPU upgrade.

There is such a thing as an external GPU, but you need something like Thunderbolt for it.
Old 04-05-16, 09:44 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Guess I'll just hold off for a year or so and see what they release. Knowing our luck, the 4k PS4 will be the best UHD player, just like the blu ray generations.
Old 04-05-16, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Guess I'll just hold off for a year or so and see what they release. Knowing our luck, the 4k PS4 will be the best UHD player, just like the blu ray generations.
This is what I'm banking on too, because I don't have any interest in buying a PS4K.5 and a UHD player.

I don't see how “significant performance issues” are going to be OK. All PS4 games that come out this generation will work well but they of course won't look as good as the same game running a 4.5. But we're not suddenly going to see PS2 quality games on the PS4 with only the 4.5 "unlocking" good graphics. Sony's dumb, but not that dumb.
Old 04-05-16, 11:36 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Exactly. The difference will most likely be that the disc will recognize the hardware and select "default" settings for the standard PS4, and "very high" settings for the PS4K. Just like the PC version of any game, except the profiles would not be user-chosen.
Old 04-05-16, 01:14 PM

Some biggies here folks :

PlayStation 3.50 System Software Update Out Tomorrow

Posted by John Koller on Apr 05, 2016 // Vice President, PlayStation Brand Marketing, SCEA

Our next major system software update for PS4, version 3.50 (codenamed MUSASHI), is out tomorrow!

While we outlined some of the features last month before our beta program started, we wanted to give a more detailed look at the update and share some new info. We’re making it easier to play together with friends, adding the ability to appear offline, and more.

New Social Features
Appear Offline

On your Profile tab, we’ve added a new option called ‘Online Status.’ From here, you can choose to ‘Appear Offline.’ This could be useful if you want to play games or watch movies without your friends knowing you’re online. You can designate if you would like to appear offline when you log-in or at any time from your Profile, or by holding down the PS Button on DualShock 4 to bring up the Quick Menu.

Friend Online Notification

Now you can choose to get notified when your friends come online. To receive notifications, select a player on your friends list, press Options, and select ‘Notify When Online.’

User Scheduled Event

On the Events tab, we’re adding the ability to schedule gameplay sessions with your friends. Just select ‘Create Event,’ and you’ll be able to make an invitation for an upcoming gameplay session. Choose the day, time, game, and send it off to your friends. When your event starts, users who registered will automatically be added to a party so you can start playing right away.

You can also share an event to a group, or a community that you’re a member of. Once shared, the event will be sent as a message, or posted to a community wall, and members can register from there

Play Together

This feature allows all members of a Party to see what each person is playing so that you can easily join a friend’s game, or start a new game together.

Other New System Features
Remote Play (PC/Mac)

With this update, we’re expanding PS4’s Remote Play capabilities to work with Windows PC and Mac.
Remote Play on PC / Mac is compatible with the following system software:

Windows 8.1
Windows 10 or later
OS X 10.10
OS X 10.11

You’ll be able to select from the following resolution and frame rate options, depending on your Internet bandwidth.

Resolution options: 360p, 540p, 720p (Default: 540p)
Frame rate : Standard (30fps), High (60fps) (Default: Standard)

You can use one DualShock 4 as the controller for Remote Play, which needs to be connected to your PC / Mac via a USB cable.

After the system software update launches, you’ll be able to download the Remote Play Installer here.

Along with PS4’s 3.50 system software update, PlayStation App version 3.50 is out tomorrow as well. The main new features of this update are as follows:
  • User Scheduled Event
  • Users can schedule gameplay sessions with friends
  • Dailymotion has been added to Live from PlayStation
  • Other players’ shared activities appear in your activities
That’s a look at some of the big additions in this update. Of course, there are lots of other refinements and improvements to the system software overall.
Old 04-05-16, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

So they're trying to turn PSN into facebook?
Old 04-05-16, 01:35 PM

Remote play on PC/Mac is a big deal in my book.
Old 04-05-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

But only for games you've bought digitally, not discs?
Old 04-05-16, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

as long as the disc is in the system, Remote Play works
Old 04-05-16, 02:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

With this update, we’re expanding PS4’s Remote Play capabilities to work with Windows PC and Mac.
Remote Play on PC / Mac is compatible with the following system software:

Windows 8.1
Windows 10 or later
OS X 10.10
OS X 10.11

You’ll be able to select from the following resolution and frame rate options, depending on your Internet bandwidth.

Resolution options: 360p, 540p, 720p (Default: 540p)
Frame rate : Standard (30fps), High (60fps) (Default: Standard)
Glad to see that 720p is an option. I initially heard only 540p would be available.

I'm going to test this out with The Witness and Bloodborne. Hopefully there's not too much input lag for the latter.
Old 04-05-16, 03:57 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Glad to see that 720p is an option. I initially heard only 540p would be available.

I'm going to test this out with The Witness and Bloodborne. Hopefully there's not too much input lag for the latter.
Can someone explain the advantage of remote play with PCs/Macs?
Old 04-05-16, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Color me surprised, I thought most of those were already standard features. I mean, "Play Offline," "Friend Notification," and "Play Together" have been Xbox features for almost a decade. What the hell, Sony?
Old 04-05-16, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Brack
Can someone explain the advantage of remote play with PCs/Macs?
You don't have to be at home to play your PS4 games. And you don't have to Remote play them on the Vita's tiny screen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.