Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Too bad Harmonix didn't make the remote.
Old 10-23-15, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
All the terrible reviews are about two things :
1) It doesn't work correctly with Hulu. This will be fixed eventually.
2) It doesn't control the volume of the receiver, only the TV. While this is stupid, I wasn't using it as a Universal remote anyway.

As a Media Remote for PS4, it works. That's all I wanted (well, it will be once it works correctly with Hulu and Vudu).
To be fair, while you may not need a universal remote, it is advertised right there on the Amazon website as being a universal remote that can control an audio receiver. So those complaints seem reasonable to me.
Old 10-23-15, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Too bad Harmonix didn't make the remote.
Dudu!
Old 10-23-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the remote and it's not terrible. Here's some little bits I have learned or read about it since buying it.

It doesn't work correctly on several apps. There are even an app or two (like youtube) where it won't work at all. The app makers have to update their apps to have compatibility, and I'm sure they will eventually.
There was a guy on reddit who analyzed the commands coming from the remote somehow and may have found the reason for this. It appears that unlike the PS3 remote, this one has specific remote codes generated to each button. None of the buttons are assigned to or act like Dual Shock controller buttons (even the buttons on the remote that correspond with controller face buttons, like x or circle). This means the apps need to be able to read these commands.
So now, pressing play doesn't send a X command to the PS4, it sends a specific "Play" command, which the program needs to recognize.

Decker, you mentioned the volume controls. I'm sure you tried this, but did you see if you could activate the volume punch through to control the receiver? The volume on mine only controlled the TV while in TV mode until I set that. I have no idea if that works because I currently don't have a receiver.

My biggest complaint is that the input button only works for the currently selected device, there is no way to set it to TV only.
So, the way I have it set up, I have my TV hooked to a PS4 and a DirecTV box. Because of this set up, I rarely ever need the remote in TV mode because I just flip between those two. However, to change the input I have to be in TV mode. So switching from, say DirecTV to PS4 now looks like this:
Cable Box mode > TV mode > Input Select > PS4 Mode > PS4 Power on.
That's an extra couple key presses the PS3 remote didn't need because the input button defaulted to a TV command.

Also, another change is the PS button will only start up the PS4 if the remote is in PS4 mode. The PS3 had that button set to always be a PS3 command because, really, what other device uses a PS button?
That can be annoying if the remote's function was changed away from PS4 and I didn't realize it.

Overall, I'm happy with it, but it is a flawed device.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 10-23-15 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-23-15, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

I'm in the weird situation of having all my components inside a media closet with large wooden doors, using an iPad to control input macros and volume. I can't use an IR remote anyway, so this remote (mostly) fills my need to control playback without an IR line-of-sight remote.

Apparently it doesn't have Punch-through and can't control volume in a receiver which is pretty dumb (but wouldn't work with my system regardless).
Old 10-23-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Ganondorf
To be fair, while you may not need a universal remote, it is advertised right there on the Amazon website as being a universal remote that can control an audio receiver. So those complaints seem reasonable to me.
the PS3 remote stated this too but in fine print it said "only works on Sony receivers". I still have one in its box, lol
Old 10-23-15, 04:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I'm going to have to send my PS4 in for a $150 service. I tried to start it up today, and neither of my controllers would connect. I looked it up and it's likely a failure of the bluetooth receiver in the system. FML.

Edit: Phew! Someone recommended I simply hold down the power button on the PS4 until it shuts off, then I plugged the DS4 into the PS4 via USB, pressed the PS button on the DS4, and the system started up, ran some diagnostics, restarted, and then it was pairing to the controller again. Thank goodness.

Last edited by Supermallet; 10-23-15 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-23-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Good thing you didn't try to take apart the DS4 or something...
Old 10-27-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Housemarque announces new game Matterfall , Think Vanquish with voxels.

Resogun and Super Stardust developer Housemarque has revealed a new PS4-exclusive game called Matterfall.

Revealed at Sony's Paris Games Week press conference, the teaser trailer for Matterfall (below) doesn't show any gameplay, but sets up the visual style and tone of the game. Its grey palette and cybernetic super soldiers resemble Vanquish, only with voxels. Shoot anything glowing and red and it breaks up into thousands of shimmering cubes.

Given Housemarque's previous efforts and a few side-on camera angles in this teaser, it seems likely that the full game will play on a 2D plane ala Resogun.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ame-matterfall

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Av8lSzV8D8s?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-27-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks different...and pretty cool....

PGW 2015: Boundless Announced for PS4 With Trailer

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kSD9STkbdy8?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-29-15, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

So anybody pick up Disgaea 5, Tales of Zestiria, or The Talos Principle?
Old 10-29-15, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Housemarque announces new game Matterfall , Think Vanquish with voxels.

Resogun and Super Stardust developer Housemarque has revealed a new PS4-exclusive game called Matterfall.

Revealed at Sony's Paris Games Week press conference, the teaser trailer for Matterfall (below) doesn't show any gameplay, but sets up the visual style and tone of the game. Its grey palette and cybernetic super soldiers resemble Vanquish, only with voxels. Shoot anything glowing and red and it breaks up into thousands of shimmering cubes.

Given Housemarque's previous efforts and a few side-on camera angles in this teaser, it seems likely that the full game will play on a 2D plane ala Resogun.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ame-matterfall

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Av8lSzV8D8s?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Speaking of Housemarque games, this one is coming a lot sooner. It looks up to their high standards.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fJ5yh2RIuHg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-29-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep...now that one does look like it's up to their standards and looks cool as hell. They sure as heck know how to put on a light show...that's co-op bliss right there.
Old 10-31-15, 05:20 PM

Free Until Dawn static PS4 theme :

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...H0000000000217
Old 11-03-15, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Early Black Friday Leak: $299.99 PS4 With A Free Game From Sam's.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthi...rom-sams-club/
Old 11-06-15, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

So, twice in the past few days my PS4 won't turn on with the controller. First time it wouldn't even turn on with the power button. I had to unplug the system to get it going only to be greeted with the "didn't shut down properly" system check. Did a similar thing just now, but it booted up after hitting the power button 3x. Also went through the system check.

I usually keep it in rest mode.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-07-15, 06:40 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Speaking of Housemarque games, this one is coming a lot sooner. It looks up to their high standards.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fJ5yh2RIuHg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Was hoping it was a game featuring theses guys:

Old 11-07-15, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So, twice in the past few days my PS4 won't turn on with the controller. First time it wouldn't even turn on with the power button. I had to unplug the system to get it going only to be greeted with the "didn't shut down properly" system check. Did a similar thing just now, but it booted up after hitting the power button 3x. Also went through the system check.

Any thoughts?
That happens to me when I leave it in rest mode and it loses power for any reason.
Old 11-07-15, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
That happens to me when I leave it in rest mode and it loses power for any reason.
I've had my power go out while the PS4 was in rest mode. I get the message and it does the check, but I've never had any difficulty getting it to turn on.
Old 11-07-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2
Hmm. Not sure I've lost power those days. Should I worry and switch to turning it off? I'd hate to lose the 'boot to game' function by completely shutting it down.
Old 11-09-15, 01:45 AM

Target has the uncharted bundle for 349.99 but you can use cartwheel for 15% off and extra 5 percent wit red card. Not bad if you looking for a ps4 and dont want to fight the crowd on bf
Old 11-09-15, 11:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Any thoughts?
You may have to rebuild your database in safe mode to fix the licenses for any games you might have installed to the HD. The power in my apartment went through a stretch this summer where it was going out regularly and my PS4 was in rest mode when it happened. I got the "didn't shut down properly" message and found that most of my PS Plus games wouldn't start up until I repaired the database in safe mode.
Old 11-11-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Seriously considering this Target cartwheel deal.
Old 11-11-15, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by BGPu
You may have to rebuild your database in safe mode to fix the licenses for any games you might have installed to the HD. The power in my apartment went through a stretch this summer where it was going out regularly and my PS4 was in rest mode when it happened. I got the "didn't shut down properly" message and found that most of my PS Plus games wouldn't start up until I repaired the database in safe mode.
Thanks. I'm in the middle of moving so I'll keep that in mind for future reference.
Old 11-12-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Well - I'm in the PS4 club. Downloading Rocket League now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.