Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Originally Posted by Raul3
Having WiFi issues lately. Was trying to watch something on Netflix and picture was really bad.
Same with other apps.
Did a network test and my speeds were:
Down: 1.1 Mbps
Up: 1.8 Mbps

Decided to restart the PS4, just in case anything was stuck there. Another test and my speeds were:
Down: 72.9 Kbps
Up: 82.4 Kbps

WTF!!!

Turned on my X1 and did a network test. Speeds were:
Down: 4.13 Mbps
Up: 11.58 Mbps

Both consoles are in the same entertainment table. The X1 one shelf above the PS4. Both are at 76% Wifi power or whatever is called. Both are N, I guess both work at the 5 GHz band. My wife was streaming Showtime in her iPad, my teenage daughter was probably streaming something in her MacBook too. So maybe the 5 GHZ band was really saturated. Or is the X1 at the 2.4(?) GHZ band and the PS4 at the 5 GHZ band? I know the Apple devices are in the 5 GHZ band.

Anyways... any advice?
My plan right now, move the PS4 to the shelf above, to be next to the X1. I know... (It's an open entertainment shelf, glass, etc. )
Add an extender, although being at 76% that shouldn't be an issue.
Reboot router. Again. Reboot PS4. Again.
Get a new router.

Did you try power cycling your wireless router?
Old 09-19-15, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
I doubt it is something as simple as this, but I have noticed that if I turn on my ps4 by hitting the disc eject button and ejecting the disc, when it boots up and I put in the disc I want to play, the system does not recognize the new disc.

Anytime I want to change the disc that was left in the ps4 when it is powered down, I have to start the ps4 with the power button, wait until it has booted to the live screen and then change discs.
This is exactly what's going on with mine as well.
Old 09-19-15, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2
Did you try power cycling your wireless router?
Yup.

I moved up the PS4 next to the X1. Now I have 2.9 Mbps down and 2.8 Mbps up. And the X1 speeds weren't affected.

I still think that's too low, but it's good enough for multiplayer, Netflix, etc.

Saddest thing, with my Comcast upgrade I'm at 110 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. Just did a test in my wired desktop.
Old 09-19-15, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,193 Likes on 4,220 Posts

Originally Posted by kurupt
This is exactly what's going on with mine as well.
Restarting in Safe mode and rebuilding the database seemed to fix the issue for me.
Old 09-19-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Yup.

I moved up the PS4 next to the X1. Now I have 2.9 Mbps down and 2.8 Mbps up. And the X1 speeds weren't affected.

I still think that's too low, but it's good enough for multiplayer, Netflix, etc.

Saddest thing, with my Comcast upgrade I'm at 110 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. Just did a test in my wired desktop.

You should just get a network switch so you can connect wired.
Old 09-19-15, 01:20 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a lot of games with coop I buy two copies because my son and I will play... I never sell my games but since GCU is such a good deal I only grab digital if it is a really good deal... but now that I realize how easy one digital purchase can be used on both our ps4s at the same time.. I might be digital only from now on... how did I go so long and not realize this... especially since we did it a lot with the 360...
Old 09-22-15, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

The 1TB PS4 arrives in North America on November 6th.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/22/p...y-black-ops-3/

Old 09-22-15, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

That is ugly as hell.
Old 09-22-15, 05:32 PM

Controller looks like this :

Old 09-22-15, 06:44 PM

Free static Oddworld New 'n Tasty Theme here

And speaking of new themes :

Save on The Last of Us with Outbreak Day 2015

If you haven’t played one of the most critically-acclaimed video games of all-time, now is your chance. The Outbreak Day sale will run from September 23rd until October 7th in various regions. You’ll be saving 40-50% on select content for The Last of Us and The Last of Us Remastered, including a price reduction on the game itself. PS Plus members will be able to save even more in some instances. Please login and check the local PlayStation Store in your region to see exactly what’s being offered up.

In addition, we’ve created a new dynamic theme specifically themed around Outbreak Day. Featuring the fungal growth from our amazing title sequence and the hauntingly beautiful melodies of Gustavo Santaolalla. You can buy the theme for $0.99 for a limited time. Be sure to get it while the sale lasts.

Speaking of sales, the PlayStation Gear store is having an Outbreak Day sale. Head over to the Naughty Dog shop to find great deals on select The Last of Us items.

Happy Outbreak Day 2015. Be on the lookout for more The Last of Us news in the future.

Old 09-22-15, 06:54 PM
Cool New Member

I've got to get me that TLOU theme! Any word on whether it'll be available for people in EU?
Old 09-23-15, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is anyone going to check out SOMA? It's getting good reviews and from the guys behind Amnesia.
Old 09-24-15, 12:37 AM

I picked up the fungal theme for 99 cents, and it's really understated and cool. I dig it.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xr6OnQZUFW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And that free Oddworld theme isn't actually static. It's a dynamic theme and a pretty entertaining one at that.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ATMnDQwLzbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-24-15, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Is anyone going to check out SOMA? It's getting good reviews and from the guys behind Amnesia.

I'm not but the game has go very little attention despite stellar reviews. From some trailers it looks impressive....like Doom under water with a bit of that Deep Six movie....in fact several games aren't getting much publicity. About every gaming site I go to half of their stories and articles are about Destiny :The Taken King in one shape or another.
Old 09-24-15, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I've put about two hours in. Good so far kind of reminds of me of original Dead Space without the combat.
Old 09-29-15, 02:59 PM

PS4 System Software Update 3.00 Out 9/30, Take a Visual Tour

Posted by John Koller on Sep 29, 2015 // VP of Platforms Marketing, SCEA

The 3.00 system software update on PS4, codename: Kenshin, will be available to download starting tomorrow, September 30th. We want to extend our sincere thanks to everyone that participated in the beta. I want you to all know that we’ve listened. Your feedback made this system software update even better.

There are a lot of changes in this update, from entirely new features to UI enhancements. While we detailed its key features earlier this month, we wanted to give a visual tour of our favorite new additions. This update is focused on creating new ways to connect with friends and players around the world, expanding the social capabilities of the system even further.

Sharing video clips to Twitter: Now it’s easy to share video clips to Twitter directly from your PS4. You’ll see a new icon on the Upload Video Clip menu, nestled between Facebook and YouTube. Maximum video length is 10 seconds, though you’ll have the ability to trim longer clips. Don’t forget — you can double tap the Share button to start recording a video, and press it again to stop.

PlayStation Plus: We’ve made a dedicated section for PlayStation Plus, which you can access by clicking the big Plus icon on the top left corner of your PS4 home screen. Once there you can easily manage your membership, see the monthly free games to download, deals for PS Plus members, and all of the games you’ve redeemed through PS Plus on PS4.

YouTube live: You’ll see a new icon for YouTube on the Broadcast Gameplay Screen, accessible after hitting the Share button. Now you can live stream directly from your PS4 to YouTube. Livestreams will be viewable across YouTube.

PNG Screenshots: If you’d like your game screenshots to be in a higher quality format, you can now select PNG instead of JPEG. To access, press Share > Share Settings > Screenshot Settings > Image Format.

Events: A new hub for Events has been added to PS4, accessible from the home screen. This will give you an overview of activities taking place in the games you play most, as well as official broadcasts. For instance, here’s an in-game racing event taking place in Project Cars, which you can register for directly from the Events hub.

Improvements to Messages and Favorite Groups: We’ve improved Messages by making it easier to access groups of people you chat and play games with frequently. Once you’re added to or create a group, you’ll see the online status for friends, what games they are playing, and the option to message or chat in party all in one spot. When you add or create a new favorite group, they’ll appear in your Friends app under Favorite Groups for quick access. For example, you can see we have favorite groups for Call of Duty, Rocket League, and Destiny.

Communities: PS4 users will have the ability to create communities based around shared interests, like games, genres, and more. Communities include a message board with general discussion, screenshots shared by players, and the ability to join parties / games.

Stickers: From the PS4 system’s Messages app, you’ll see a new option for Stickers. The 3.00 update will contain stickers themed around Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, Knack, LittleBigPlanet 3, Resogun, and more. Instead of typing out a message, just send a sticker — like Drake looking at a watch, asking you to wait a minute.”

We’re constantly striving to make PS4 even better, and appreciate all the feedback! If you would like to submit an idea on how to improve the PlayStation experience, share it here. We will continue to make PS4 the best place to play.

We hope you enjoy the Kenshin update, and let us know what you think in the comments below!
Old 09-29-15, 03:00 PM

All that stuff sounds pretty useless actually. As long as they increase the Online Storage significantly, I don't really care what else the do or don't add.
Old 09-29-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

But... but stickers!!!
Old 09-29-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
All that stuff sounds pretty useless actually. As long as they increase the Online Storage significantly, I don't really care what else the do or don't add.
Agreed. Is anyone actually clamoring for this stuff?
Old 09-29-15, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Most of the above? Don't care. I do like a dedicated PS+ section. That is welcome.

However, two years in and it still takes nearly a dozen button presses to shut off a controller? Inexcusable.
Old 09-29-15, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
However, two years in and it still takes nearly a dozen button presses to shut off a controller? Inexcusable.
Can't you just hold the PS button on the controller and then it brings up the power screen?
Old 09-29-15, 06:01 PM

You could just hold in the Playstation button for 10 seconds, sure it takes time and the menu pops up, but it is just one button press.
Old 09-29-15, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Oh wow, I had no idea you could do that. When was that added?

I've been going this route:
Guide button
down -> Adjust Sound & Devices
Hit X
down 6 button presses -> Turn off Device
Hit X
Hit - DualShock 4
Old 09-29-15, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not sure, I just tried it 1 day to see if it was the same as the Xbox

Wait... why wouldn't you just go to the power button tab at the end of the main menu?

Old 09-29-15, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Most of the above? Don't care. I do like a dedicated PS+ section. That is welcome.

Maybe I'm crazy, but didn't they used to have a 'Deals' menu item in the store before? Now it's buried in 'Games' It's like they go out of their way to make it harder to navigate the store (and on PS3, forget about it).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.