Reload this Page >

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Old 08-16-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

I tried to play the first Metro game on my then-newly-built PC when it came out and it was essentially an unplayable slide show. It had insane requirements for the time.

I'll probably get it for one next gen system or the other via Gamefly at launch.
Old 08-16-14, 07:10 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

for what it is worth..I LOVED Metro 2033 and could not finish Last light.
Old 08-16-14, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered some Xbone sticks for my DS4s today. Got two pairs off ebay for $6 shipped.

I was just messing around with the Xbone controller at Gamestop and admiring the job MS did with those sticks (horrible bumpers though) and thought it would be worth a try since they are a perfect fit.

Updates forthcoming.
Old 08-16-14, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Ordered some sticks too. From Hong Kong, so I'll see em in a few weeks.
Old 08-16-14, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by chess

I was just messing around with the Xbone controller at Gamestop and admiring the job MS did with those sticks (horrible bumpers though) and thought it would be worth a try since they are a perfect fit.
I don't know what Microsoft were thinking, those bumpers ruin the Xbone controller IMO. They are that bad.
Old 08-17-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Well... Igot a message from a XBL 360 friend late last night saying..."I went ahead and got a PS4" sending me a friends request. That's five I know of I played a lot with on the 360 with Halo & GOW that now has the PS4.
Old 08-17-14, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I don't know what Microsoft were thinking, those bumpers ruin the Xbone controller IMO. They are that bad.
They do have a weird stiffness to them, don't they? I kept wondering whether they were supposed to feel like that.

But those sticks tho!

I'll probably just mod one DS4 to start and use it for a while before cracking open the second, but I've got a good feeling about it, and for a couple of bucks extra, it made sense to go ahead and get two sets.

Nice to see Corvin is taking the plunge too.
Old 08-17-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, the mod on the DS3 didn't go so hot, but this one looks easier.

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Well... Igot a message from a XBL 360 friend late last night saying..."I went ahead and got a PS4" sending me a friends request. That's five I know of I played a lot with on the 360 with Halo & GOW that now has the PS4.
I'll take "messages I'll never receive for 1,000, Alex."

Old 08-18-14, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'll take "messages I'll never receive for 1,000, Alex."

Really? Almost everybody I've been playing with were 360 guys.

If anything, the disappointing thing for me is that so many of the PS3 friends have either not upgraded or our tastes haven't crossed yet. From the old Warhawk gang, I think I played a little bit of Resogun with ogsoley right around the PS4 launch, and I played a little bit of Warframe with tlwizard. Otherwise, it's been 360 converts for the most part.
Old 08-18-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

The Playroom: AR Studio Out Tonight on PS4

+ Posted by Nicolas Doucet on Aug 18, 2014 // Producer, SCEJ

Over at Japan Studio, we’ve been hard at work on new DLC for The Playroom. We’re proud to announce AR Studio, which will be launching later today on PS4 for the low, low price of free!

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/6DOkDKNr53k?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/6DOkDKNr53k?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Using the PS4 Camera, The Playroom became a way for PS4 owners to broadcast live ‘shows’ through the Live From PlayStation app. This piece of DLC is entirely built around that central concept. With AR Studio, formerly known as Set Maker, you can use your tablet or smartphone (Android or iOS), to turn your living room into a broadcasting studio. Fill your sets with images or photos stored on your smart device, or draw your sets from scratch. You can also add various special effects to the screen like interactive smoke and lasers using your DualShock 4 controller. You will need to download the PlayStation App for your smart device, which you can get for free on either the App Store or Google Play.

Since our first reveal at E3 In June, we made a few additions to make an even better experience:

We added a ton of screen effects to make your video or broadcast more atmospheric, including Retro, Arty, Futuristic or Psychedelic effects. It’s all there for you to experiment with. My favorite is the vintage effect.
You can now also play your own MP3s by loading them on a USB memory stick, and we’re also throwing in a whole bunch of pre-set music tracks and sound effects for you to use.
We’ve improved the masks feature to include a few cool Sony classic heads for you to wear. Special thumbs up to the Helghast mask, popularized by Killzone, which hooks up to your DualShock 4 light bar. Totally awesome!
Speaking of DualShock 4, we’ve added controller effects like interactive colored smoked and a confetti canon for live celebrations.
Next, if you have recorded videos on your PS4, you will be able to play them back inside a dedicated projector. This is a really cool feature and great way for you to do live commentaries over your recorded game sessions and maybe even give out some advice to those watching you.
Finally, we’ve included a rating system for your broadcasts. We called back on our little AR Bots friends to deliver the results of your live polls. By using the “Interact button”, any PS4 viewers can join in and answer questions you ask them. It’s a great opportunity to run all sorts of contests or even host your own quiz show.

So whether it’s gaming, music, sports, cooking or just chilling, you can now make awesome shows right from your PS4 or just share a video on social networks or with friends and family.

AR Studio will hit PlayStation Store later tonight. Just download the add-on and it will automatically be added to The Playroom.

Let us know what you think as we are always listening to you! We hope you enjoy it, and we can’t wait to see some of your AR Studio live broadcasts on Live From PlayStation.
Old 08-18-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Nothing against that DLC, but I'm feeling more and more like the feature upgrades in this next gen just aren't for me. I guess I should have realized it when they put a dedicated share button on the controller...
Old 08-18-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I realized I was "out of it" when people paying money to attend live events to watch people play a computer game became a "thing"
Old 08-18-14, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Really? Almost everybody I've been playing with were 360 guys.

If anything, the disappointing thing for me is that so many of the PS3 friends have either not upgraded or our tastes haven't crossed yet. From the old Warhawk gang, I think I played a little bit of Resogun with ogsoley right around the PS4 launch, and I played a little bit of Warframe with tlwizard. Otherwise, it's been 360 converts for the most part.
Yep. One guy buys all the consoles, but I said I'm not doing that this time out, at least for the time being. The three others I game with held out at launch to see which was the way to go but all caved during the Titanfall pre-launch bundle deals. (they are all anti PS so chances were slim anyway) Two are cheap asses (despite making plenty of dough) and the other finds any excuse to put down PS. He's also the most vocal and obnoxious about it but only gets on once every three months to actually play.

The funniest thing about the boisterous one...his biggest "want" this Gen was to pay a monthly fee to play a bunch of newer games every month. I told him he just described PS+. He didn't have a reply for that.
Old 08-18-14, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep. One guy buys all the consoles, but I said I'm not doing that this time out, at least for the time being.
I can't see buying both either, especially with them being so similar and with both of them having a paywall for multiplayer. And as a practical matter, I don't know when I'd have time to play an Xbone. I'm not even keeping up with my PS+ freebies, and I currently own only one retail PS4 game (NFS Rivals).

Plus I'm almost certain to get a WiiU at some point, because I'm a whore for Nintendo games.

The three others I game with held out at launch to see which was the way to go but all caved during the Titanfall pre-launch bundle deals. (they are all anti PS so chances were slim anyway) Two are cheap asses (despite making plenty of dough) and the other finds any excuse to put down PS. He's also the most vocal and obnoxious about it but only gets on once every three months to actually play.

The funniest thing about the boisterous one...his biggest "want" this Gen was to pay a monthly fee to play a bunch of newer games every month. I told him he just described PS+. He didn't have a reply for that.
Are these guys on DVD Talk by chance? I can almost pick them out by name.

It's been interesting playing with former 360 guys. I like hearing their takes on PS+ and on the first party Sony games like Infamous and Last of Us. For the most part, they seem happy with the switch.
Old 08-18-14, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the battery in my launch DS4 is starting to die.

I haven't been using my PS4 much since I got my Vita, but when I have I've been using my newer DS4. I've had the older one sitting on my charger. Well, yesterday I go to use the old one, and it's completely dead. So I put it back on the charger and let it charge. I use it again and it seems to be fine. Come back again to it today and fire it up after it had been fully charged the night before, and it's at 2 bars.

Well, I was looking it up at eBay and it looks like replacements are relatively cheap, and after seeing all those videos about replacing the sticks, I saw that replacing the battery will be even easier. So I guess I'll have to look into that down the road.
Old 08-18-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Eff that. Call Sony. No way should one of those batteries be dead in the first year of use.

Chess - nope, none of my friends are on here. They're definitely a stubborn bunch. The irony, they complain that they never have a full party. Told them I'm ready and waiting. I can live without MP, they cannot. They know where to find me.
Old 08-18-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

What kind of charger are you using?

Have they released any kind of blue tooth remote yet? Or at least a code for the blue tooth harmony remote to work with it? Is that something even being worked on, or do they really think people like the DS4 so much that they prefer watching multimedia with it?
Old 08-18-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eff that. Call Sony. No way should one of those batteries be dead in the first year of use.

Chess - nope, none of my friends are on here. They're definitely a stubborn bunch. The irony, they complain that they never have a full party. Told them I'm ready and waiting. I can live without MP, they cannot. They know where to find me.

...and as the year goes on especially around Destiny and beyond they might have a hard time finding more and more. Based on what's coming, if some say they cannot justify jumping to the "Nex Gen" then they might as well just stick to the past. Just hope they like solo because that's what is going to happen...
Old 08-18-14, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Have they released any kind of blue tooth remote yet? Or at least a code for the blue tooth harmony remote to work with it? Is that something even being worked on, or do they really think people like the DS4 so much that they prefer watching multimedia with it?
Disappointingly, no. The HDMI-CEC thing is it.
Old 08-18-14, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Power A charger

It's possible it just had a bad charge and it'll be OK, or it's possible it just doesn't hold a charge when it's unused for too long. I still might replace the battery, as the ones I saw on eBay would double the battery life. That'd put it in DS3 territory.
Old 08-18-14, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-19-14, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
I have the Power A charger

It's possible it just had a bad charge and it'll be OK, or it's possible it just doesn't hold a charge when it's unused for too long. I still might replace the battery, as the ones I saw on eBay would double the battery life. That'd put it in DS3 territory.
I have that charger too. I know with mine you really have to be sure it clicks into place in order to charge. The lightbar will light up orange if it is charging.
Old 08-19-14, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cheap and has never failed once or I just use these on the PC when it's on....

Old 08-20-14, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Order gamecon gameplay trailer. Looks amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NedZT-tIBLA
Old 08-20-14, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Wave Blue DS4 controller is out. Grabbed one at Best Buy last nite when I picked up Diablo 3 UEE. It's pretty slick looking. The thumb stick grips seem to be a little harder than the one that came with my system. Time will tell how these hold up. However, I did put on a pair of blue Grip-Its just in case.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.