Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-14, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
re: The PlayStation 4 / PS4 Thread: Still Going Strong

Originally Posted by fujishig
Man, MS was going to make it work, all the devs would've signed off, and we would've had gaming utopia if people didn't complain. We were so close to gaming utopia. Now we have to wait for the dagger to do its work and the Xbox One can go back to the original plan.

Actually, looking back, even if they had implemented this feature as fanboys dreamed it up at launch, there aren't enough titles for me to have even used it. Maybe Titanfall? I'm meh on this whole generation so far...
The way MS talked their game sharing idea up it would have turned out to be a pipe dream. There is no way that developers would have signed off on unlimited access to games for family and friends.
Old 08-15-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Uh-oh, bring the hate, we have a new console exclusive:

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/08/14/dr...ole-exclusive/

Oh wait, Dreamfall / Longest Journey isn't a big name. I want a Longest Journey redux
Old 08-15-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Fuck Sony and whomever makes Dreamfall!
Old 08-15-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
The way MS talked their game sharing idea up it would have turned out to be a pipe dream. There is no way that developers would have signed off on unlimited access to games for family and friends.
Oh, I know, I actually expected demos only, though they adamantly denied it.
Old 08-15-14, 02:51 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Some more info on SharePlay
- 60 minutes per session, but you can restart the session an unlimited number of times.
- Works with ALL PS4 games. Devs don't need to program for it.

The one thing I noticed, which is a bit of a bummer is if you're using SharePlay for multiplayer. Say you own Killzone ( I know, no one owns Killzone. ), and you want to play with your friend who does not own it. You send a SharePlay invite. He accepts. You guys play together for an hour, right? Yes, but... no. Sony keeps insisting... it's a "virtual couch" and "an online local co-op experience." So... that means, even though you're playing the game on two separate TVs, you can only play splitscreen. That would be the case for any game where separate "views" are required for each player. Maybe I'm reading it all wrong, but they keep saying virtual couch, online LOCAL co-op experience, streaming, etc.

edit: if you're using it for a single player game, and just need help or whatever, there's no issue. But the whole "local co-op" thing is what reveals that this just won't be useful for online multiplayer FPS or TPS games.

Last edited by Dan; 08-15-14 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-15-14, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I don't know for sure, but I bet it ROCKS for Diablo 3 (a game designed for couch co-op) and sports games that I don't usually buy or play. Too bad about the multiplayer stuff, but I guess it makes sense if it's essentially just streaming off your PS4. True multiplayer would require two different consoles.

And unlimited 60 minute sessions is way more generous than I could have imagined.
Old 08-15-14, 05:04 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Yes! That kind of game would actually be pretty awesome with SharePlay, I imagine.
Old 08-15-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
- Works with ALL PS4 games. Devs don't need to program for it.
Old 08-15-14, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The elephant in the room is, of course, the internet connection. At least in the USA.

But agree, in paper everything looks great.
Old 08-15-14, 10:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm confused, unlimited 60 minute sessions...so basically I can play through an entire game with a friend as long as we take a bathroom/food break once every hour?
Old 08-15-14, 11:17 PM

Yes, assuming it's a game that allows for couch co-op all the way through a campaign. Diablo 3 is the only one I can think of at the moment. And LBP 3 as well.

I'm going to MAKE some of you guys play my copy of Hohokum. That game is crazy.
Old 08-15-14, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So Planetside 2 on PS4 might not be vaporware after all. Footage from SOE Live:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9abXrEsjR6M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-16-14, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I've never really gave up on Planetside 2 but more of less put it on the back-burner & wait & see. Starting next week with Diabo RoS and then next month Destiny there is lot coming this year. Most have forgot but PvZ and Metro Redux both hit this monthas well. I'm just disappointed Planetside 2 didn't come out earlier when there were only a few games out. But I feel it'll have the same success as Warframe being a F2P model and like Warframe has a pretty good following in the PC arena.
Old 08-16-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I've never really gave up on Planetside 2 but more of less put it on the back-burner & wait & see. Starting next week with Diabo RoS and then next month Destiny there is lot coming this year. Most have forgot but PvZ and Metro Redux both hit this monthas well. I'm just disappointed Planetside 2 didn't come out earlier when there were only a few games out. But I feel it'll have the same success as Warframe being a F2P model and like Warframe has a pretty good following in the PC arena.
Well thank god for Warframe, because I Planetside 2 was probably the game that convinced me to adopt early, and it's taking forever. PS2 was also the game that kept me from buying BF4 last week.

That video above looks ridiculously awesome, and it didn't even have vehicles.
Old 08-16-14, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I think we cn agree that the folks at Homemarque (Resogun) are some DEV gods but I'm beginning to believe that Hello Games, maker of No Mans Sky is related to them...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-.../1100-6421757/

No Man's Sky Players Would Need 5 Billion Years to Explore Every Planet for 1 Second

We know the universe of No Man's Sky is truly massive, thanks to its procedurally generated worlds. Even if developer Hello Games could share the exact number of worlds players can visit, it would be incomprehensibly big. What it can provide is a rough estimate of how long it would take to visit every planet in the game: five billion years.

That figure was shared with IGN by Hello's Sean Murray. It's an extraordinarily long time, but what makes it more impressive is the fact that it's merely how long it would take to visit each planet for a single second. What we've seen of the game so far suggests you'll need far longer than one minute, let alone one second, to fully explore any given world, so suffice it to say, you're never going to run out of new places to visit.

This is made possible because Hello opted to use 64-bit numbers to generate its worlds, rather than 32-bit numbers. When 32-bit numbers were being used at one point, it still would have meant taking several thousand years to visit each planet for one second. By moving to 64-bit numbers--which can store the astronomical sum of 2^64 total values, substantially more than the 2^32 total of 32-bit numbers--Hello was able to ensure it's even more difficult to fathom just how many planets No Man's Sky contains.

There is a 7 minute commentary with game footage that is is pretty good. Don't forget Hello Games is only about 10-11 people and took home (3) of the E3 Critics Awards, only second to Evolve's (4)
Old 08-16-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most have forgot but PvZ and Metro Redux both hit this month as well.
Sorry, but PvZ only counts as a game when it's exclusive to Xbox. Throw it on the pile of nothing PS4 gets for the holidays.

I'm actually kind of interested in the Metro Redux, because it was supposedly pretty amazing on PC. I know. Remakes. I am the problem.
Old 08-16-14, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Video embed from K&A's article above.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OEUuseb1MpM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-16-14, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't forget Hello Games is only about 10-11 people and took home (3) of the E3 Critics Awards, only second to Evolve's (4)
Not that anyone is going to play Evolve.
Old 08-16-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

they will when it hits the bargain bin.
Old 08-16-14, 11:04 AM

As much as I admire how clever and ambitious No Man's Sky is, I still wonder how long I would want to wander around an infinite number of planets with no set goals or tangible progression.
Old 08-16-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
As much as I admire how clever and ambitious No Man's Sky is, I still wonder how long I would want to wander around an infinite number of planets with no set goals or tangible progression.
This is exactly my feeling. It would be like having a setup that creates totally random ink blotches on sheets of paper. They would be interesting to look at for a few minutes but just because each and every sheet is unique it doesn't mean that it will hold your attention for too long. Basically, they will still have a limited number of things that can be put in said created world and eventually you will see enough of it to not care that they can create yet another random world that is "different" from the ones you visited.
Old 08-16-14, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Yup that actually makes me less excited to play the game. I would rather a few fully realized worlds than 5 billion slight variations of the same thing.
Old 08-16-14, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chess

I'm actually kind of interested in the Metro Redux, because it was supposedly pretty amazing on PC. I know. Remakes. I am the problem.
Metro Last Light was free on the PS3, with Plus of course. I played the first one in the Xbox 360, bought it used from Gamefly for less than $10, great game. I think it was also free, the first game, for PC.

The game looked and played great in the 360, but the PC was years ahead of course. I played a little bit of Last Light, and it also looked at least as good as the 360 version of the first game.

Both are great games, and I suppose that the port from PC to next gen consoles was easy. So they should look great, and yeah, it should look better in the PS4. But besides that, at least the first one that I completed, they are great game experiences.
Old 08-16-14, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No Man's Sky Players Would Need 5 Billion Years to Explore Every Planet for 1 Second

That is going to be worth a bronze trophy, and you'll need it for platinum.
Old 08-16-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3
Metro Last Light was free on the PS3, with Plus of course. I played the first one in the Xbox 360, bought it used from Gamefly for less than $10, great game. I think it was also free, the first game, for PC.

The game looked and played great in the 360, but the PC was years ahead of course. I played a little bit of Last Light, and it also looked at least as good as the 360 version of the first game.

Both are great games, and I suppose that the port from PC to next gen consoles was easy. So they should look great, and yeah, it should look better in the PS4. But besides that, at least the first one that I completed, they are great game experiences.
Yeah, I have Last Light on PS3, but I'm 1) hesitant to play the second game without having played the first and 2) hesitant to play anything on the PS3 in general. I'll put it on my list to pick up from the bargain bin along with Evolve.

Digital Foundry did their comparison test, and it looks good for the PS4 version. Solid framerate throughout and 1080p. It looks good on XB1 as well but at 912P.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...mance-analysis

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.