DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Fallout 4 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/615236-fallout-4-a.html)

Supermallet 06-03-15 01:27 PM

Re: Fallout 4

I hope we can play as the dog.

JasonF 06-03-15 01:57 PM

This might be the game that finally spurs me to trade in for a current gen console.

fumanstan 06-03-15 02:04 PM

Seems like this post on Reddit from a supposed former Bethesda employee was pretty accurate - https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/com...yed_fallout_4/

Which means a release date this year if true :p

covenant 06-03-15 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 12498650)
This might be the game that finally spurs me to trade in for a current gen console.

Bethesda game ≠ Console

Dan 06-03-15 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12498657)

http://i.imgur.com/TEA9mTC.gif

Originally Posted by covenant (Post 12498698)
Bethesda game ≠ Console

Personally, my experience with F3 and F:NV on 360 were pretty decent (only a few of the random errors... and a few randomly floating dead bodies... but otherwise, no game-breaking bugs for me), but... yeah... You're probably right.

edit to add: but a friend of mine had the exact opposite experience, also on 360. I don't think he was ever able to finish the game.

mndtrp 06-03-15 02:54 PM

Fallout 3 got buggy as hell the longer I played it. I almost didn't get through the final piece of DLC since it would hang up at one spot every time. New Vegas wasn't much of a problem.

Very excited about a new Fallout game. They've been some of my favorites ever.

Breakfast with Girls 06-03-15 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12498657)
Seems like this post on Reddit from a supposed former Bethesda employee was pretty accurate - https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/com...yed_fallout_4/

I would love for all of that to be completely accurate just to shut down the snarky replies in that thread.

Music 06-03-15 03:05 PM

Bawston!

d2cheer 06-03-15 03:30 PM

I don't care when it comes out. It will cause me to purchase the PS4.

And a copy for my son for his Xbox One. I ain't sharing...

daniel18 06-03-15 04:38 PM

Is that mirelurk chowdah on my pants or am I just excited?

slop101 06-03-15 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12497642)
I wonder where this will be set? Oklahoma City maybe?

Does it really matter when they all look the same?

Oh look, more drab, desolate environments...

I don't mind post-apocalyptic wastelands as setting for stories or movies, but for videogames, I prefer a little more variety and visual flare in what I'm playing/looking at. Rather than seeing the same drab, brown, dusty wasteland for hours on end, I want to a more varied set of environments - Dragon Age 3 and Witcher 3 have totally spoiled me in this regard, even Skyrim had more visual panache than any Fallout game. The desolate environments are great for the first few hours (which is why it's fine for a movie), but after that, I can't stand to look at it and stay in that environment.

The Bus 06-03-15 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12498835)

I don't mind post-apocalyptic wastelands as setting for stories or movies, but for videogames, I prefer a little more variety and visual flare in what I'm playing/looking at. Rather than seeing the same drab, brown, dusty wasteland for hours on end, I want to a more varied set of environments - Dragon Age 3 and Witcher 3 have totally spoiled me in this regard, even Skyrim had more visual panache than any Fallout game. The desolate environments are great for the first few hours (which is why it's fine for a movie), but after that, I can't stand to look at it and stay in that environment.

100% agree. I got bored of Fallout 3 very, very quickly. I did maybe 10 hours?

From the looks of it, this is not a game I will be buying.

dsa_shea 06-03-15 05:37 PM

The weird problem with Fallout 3 that I had on the PS3 was that as I started to accumulate more and more game saves it started to bog down how the game ran.

dsa_shea 06-03-15 05:39 PM

Well, it is a wasteland and not a fantasy land. Besides, we get all of the important landmarks in Boston as well as some twists on other historical elements. So no, it won't be the same as the others.

Dan 06-03-15 05:45 PM

for size...

Compared to, say, Fallout 3...

Based on those shots, I'd say Bethesda is trying to add some colour to the series. Good for them.

slop101 06-03-15 05:52 PM

I'll concede that those screen shots are certainly an improvement in variety. Hopefully those are indicative of the entire game.

fumanstan 06-03-15 05:55 PM

It's funny, because after watching the trailer my reaction was the environments looked much more colorful rather then the grey and browns from the previous games.

Drexl 06-03-15 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 12498848)
Well, it is a wasteland and not a fantasy land. Besides, we get all of the important landmarks in Boston as well as some twists on other historical elements. So no, it won't be the same as the others.

I wonder if they'll throw in a stash of under-inflated footballs as an easter egg.

Music 06-03-15 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12498857)
It's funny, because after watching the trailer my reaction was the environments looked much more colorful rather then the grey and browns from the previous games.

You say that as if Slop had watched the trailer...

Supermallet 06-03-15 06:29 PM

I just wish they'd do away with the combat system they had in the past two games. Talk about tedious.

MoviePage 06-03-15 06:59 PM

I loved everything about the previous two games, including the combat system, the environments, and the color scheme. Hope they don't change much.

Matthew Chmiel 06-03-15 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage (Post 12498923)
I loved everything about the previous two games, including the combat system, the environments, and the color scheme. Hope they don't change much.

:thumbsup:

slop101 06-03-15 07:20 PM

http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/im...eet-shit-1.jpg

Spoiler:
;)

covenant 06-03-15 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 12498703)
http://i.imgur.com/TEA9mTC.gif

Personally, my experience with F3 and F:NV on 360 were pretty decent (only a few of the random errors... and a few randomly floating dead bodies... but otherwise, no game-breaking bugs for me), but... yeah... You're probably right.

edit to add: but a friend of mine had the exact opposite experience, also on 360. I don't think he was ever able to finish the game.

I was speaking more to the mod community than bugs. Every version Bethesda game has it's fair share of bugs.

nickdawgy 06-03-15 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 12498885)
I just wish they'd do away with the combat system they had in the past two games. Talk about tedious.

Uh no. Just no fucking no.

VATS was the best part of the game.

foxdvd 06-03-15 11:34 PM

Fallout 3 is one of the greatest games of all time. I have faith this will be amazing.

DaveyJoe 06-04-15 03:00 AM

Yep, I hope Fallout 4 is just like the last two games.

redbill 06-04-15 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 12499163)
Yep, I hope Fallout 4 is just like the last two games.

except that this one actually works on Playstation.

Groucho 06-04-15 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 12499093)
VATS was the best part of the game.

And even if you didn't like it it was completely optional and you could play through the game as a conventional shooter.

Dan 06-04-15 09:10 AM

I absolutely love VATS. Haters gonna hate.

Last night, I decided to play the beginning of Fallout 3 for the first time since playing it WAY back in 2008/2009. It holds up well, and IMO, looks great. Blowing enemies' heads off with VATS never gets old. :)

slop101 06-04-15 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 12499236)
And even if you didn't like it it was completely optional and you could play through the game as a conventional shooter.

VATS was fine, but not using it didn't make it like a conventional shooter at all.

fumanstan 06-04-15 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 12499279)
I absolutely love VATS. Haters gonna hate.

Last night, I decided to play the beginning of Fallout 3 for the first time since playing it WAY back in 2008/2009. It holds up well, and IMO, looks great. Blowing enemies' heads off with VATS never gets old. :)

I thought it looked ugly even back for it's time :lol: I really need to rebuy this on PC to give it a go again.

mndtrp 06-04-15 11:43 AM

Another vote for VATS. I love that system.

Breakfast with Girls 06-04-15 05:40 PM

I think I used VATS maybe once in my entire playthrough of Fallout 3… during the part where they introduce VATS. I played a stealthy sniper, though.

edstein 06-04-15 06:28 PM

I used VATS but really only for headshots.

Looking forward to F4. Hopefully this year.

Why So Blu? 06-04-15 06:34 PM

VATS is awesome - even Justin Beiber thinks so:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/znTePlBZE2Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spiderbite 06-04-15 07:10 PM

Add me to another who loves VATS.

I loved Fallout 3 and was just eh with New Vegas. I wasn't sure why but NV just didn't grab me like 3 did.

I will definitely get this but I may wait until it drops in price and there have been 57 different updates.

"Save often!" was my motto with these games.

mhg83 06-04-15 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 12499935)
Add me to another who loves VATS.

I loved Fallout 3 and was just eh with New Vegas. I wasn't sure why but NV just didn't grab me like 3 did.

I will definitely get this but I may wait until it drops in price and there have been 57 different updates.

"Save often!" was my motto with these games.

That's what makes these games break immersion when you have to constantly save. I hope the Fallout 4 or the next Elder Scrolls finds a way to make saving easier/better.

dsa_shea 06-04-15 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 12499955)
That's what makes these games break immersion when you have to constantly save. I hope the Fallout 4 or the next Elder Scrolls finds a way to make saving easier/better.

I wish games would let you use the share button for a quick save. It would take less than five seconds to hit share and then an assigned save button. I use share a lot to save screens and videos to upload.

covenant 06-04-15 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 12499955)
I hope the Fallout 4 or the next Elder Scrolls finds a way to make saving easier/better.

F5 is pretty quick and easy.