Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How would you handle this issue with Gamestop?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, as the title suggests, I'm having an issue with Gamestop and wonder how some of you would address it with them.
Back on Oct. 13 I bought a fat 60GB PS3 at Gamestop during their $150 sale. The system worked great up until the evening of Nov. 2 - I had a free game rental through Redbox, so I snatched up Resident Evil: Revelations. The game had to update to the current version, however once the system reset and booted it immediately turned off. I let it sit for about 10 minutes before doing anything; once I finally pressed the power button I received the blinking yellow light with beeping. Under no circumstance would the system eject the disc, it would shut down immediately upon powering on.
I took the PS3 back to Gamestop on Sunday to swap for another system. I apprised them of the situation and asked what they could do, to which the employee told me "There's nothing we can do, sorry." I walked out of the store and called Redbox, being told that they would leave the rental open for 30 days at $2/day, effectively charging me $60 for a now $40 game. I went back into Gamestop where I was again told by the same employee that there was nothing they could do, but that I could always print a fake label and place it on the Redbox case to trick the system into thinking I had returned the game. At this time the assistant manager approached me and said that he would contact the district manager by Tuesday (said he couldn't do it Monday because they had to prepare for the CoD: Ghosts launch) and call me back by noon.
I had an extremely busy week and never heard back from them, so I called on Friday (Nov. 8) and spoke with the same employee from before. She would not tell me the work schedule of the assistant manager I dealt with, but called him and gave him my number. He called me back and said he would have a resolution by the end of the day. Suffice it to say that I have heard nothing since.
In my frustration with this situation and some other issues, I had completely forgotten about the employee's fake label recommendation until I made this post. I intend to address this with the manager, but I'm still not sure how I should handle the issue with the disc, as I'm going to be out $60 because a disc got stuck inside a system that was under warranty. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-11-13, 11:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: How would you handle this issue with Gamestop?

Here is their corporate customer service number: 1 (800) 883-8895
Old 11-12-13, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also write a letter (certify that bitch with delivery confirmation) to:

GameStop Corporate Headquarters
625 Westport Pkwy.
Grapevine, TX 76051

Here's how I would address it. Edit it at your concern as I may be wrong about information as I am not you.

To whom it may concern,

I purchased a used Sony Playstation 3 during your most recent $150 sale on Sunday, October 13th, 2013 from (insert store location and address here).

The console worked just fine until the evening of Saturday, November 2nd, 2013. I had rented the game "Resident Evil: Revelations" later that evening from Redbox. The game required the Playstation 3 to be updated to the latest operating system. Once the update was completed, the system restarted and never came back to life. I let the machine sit for over ten minutes before I proceeded to troubleshoot the system. Once I finally reset the PS3 manually, I received the infamous yellow light of death. At this point, the console was no longer working.

Under no circumstance would the machine respond to any of my commands, let it be from the console or controller itself. The machine would no longer power on and I was unable to eject the game I had rented.

As per your corporate policy on your company's website (http://www.gamestop.com/gs/help/Returns.aspx), your company states:

"This pre-owned product has been carefully tested, and is guaranteed to work. If you are not completely satisfied, simply return the product within 7 days for your money back or identical exchange within 30 days of purchase."

At this point, I have only had my console for 20 days.

The following day, Sunday, November 3rd, 2013, I returned back to the GameStop in question to replace my console based upon your company's policy. I informed the customer service represenitive about the situation at hand, but was immediately told that there was nothing that can be done. After being told the heartbreaking (and most likely incorrect) news, I called up Redbox's customer service number and informed them of my situation. While they were sympathetic of what occurred with 20-day-old console, they would have to charge me $60 as I would be unable to return the game.

After now being out $210 before tax, I walked back into the GameStop I purchased my Playstation 3 from. I asked to speak to a manager. The assistant manager on duty informed me there was nothing he nor his company could do. I asked to speak to his superior and that he would have to wait until Tuesday to reach out to his district manager as they were too busy with the launch of the upcoming "Call of Duty" game.

I didn't hear back for nearly a week. I called the store back on Friday, November 8th, 2013 and spoke with the same employees as before. She took my information and said they would have a resolution by the end of the day.

It's currently Monday, November 11th, 2013, and I have heard nothing back.

I'm giving your company one more chance to make amends. If I do not hear anything back by Friday, November 23rd, 2013, I will begin to proceed with filing a dispute with my credit card company for the $150 and acceptable taxes. As someone who has frequented GameStop numerous times in the past, I have lost all faith in your company based upon the situation at hand.

I hope that you will do the right thing.

Sincerely,
KingSmoth
Also, post it on their Facebook page.

Now if you didn't pay with a credit card, I would change the last paragraph to:

I'm giving your company one more chance to make amends. If I do not hear anything back by Friday, November 23rd, 2013, I will begin to proceed with filing a small claims court dispute for the $150 and acceptable taxes based upon your company policy. As someone who has frequented GameStop numerous times in the past, I have lost all faith in your company based upon the situation at hand.
Honestly, if you paid with card, fire off the letter via mail and Facebook page along with calling their customer service number. You'll probably get a new console out of the deal.

If they continue to suck a bag of dicks, dispute the credit card charges or take them to small claims.

I hope you learned your lesson of never shopping at GameStop.
Old 11-12-13, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Or learned the lesson of buying used. Carefully tested and guaranteed to work = it turned on, we saw the ps3 logo.
Old 11-12-13, 06:40 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never buy used systems for a current gen. Too risky.
Old 11-12-13, 07:34 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had two used systems at gamestop go down on me. Both outside the 30 day warranty. My daughter bought a used xbox for 99 bucks that red ringed 45 days after we bought it (system was not used that much in those 45 days) It was outside Microsoft's extended red ring warranty. I honestly believe that the system was already a red ring unit that someone returned after doing the towel trick.

Another time I bought an xbox for my parents house to play when I was down there. It only got used for 10 minutes to hook it up, and about 8 weeks later I was down there for Easter, and games would not load.

I will never buy a used system from them again.
Old 11-12-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I appreciate the input, I'm going to go the corporate contact route.
I have had success in the past with used systems and $150 was as good or better than buying off of eBay or a forum, so I bit. My guess was that any problems with the system would show up within the first 30 days, which is indeed what happened.
Old 11-12-13, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So if I understand you correctly, you were able to swap the system out but they still have the bad system with the redbox disc in it?

The process to manually remove a disc is fairly simple.

https://support.us.playstation.com/a...ail/a_id/1783/
Old 11-12-13, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is correct. That process doesn't work for the model that I had, which was a launch CECHA01. Apparently the only method of disc removal is disassembly of the PS3 and the Blu-Ray drive itself.
Old 11-12-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by KingSmoth
That is correct. That process doesn't work for the model that I had, which was a launch CECHA01. Apparently the only method of disc removal is disassembly of the PS3 and the Blu-Ray drive itself.
You could always have tried the blow dyer trick. That's probably what the last guy did before he sold it to Gamestop. Of course if it worked though, then you run the risk of it not breaking again before your warranty was up.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 11-12-13 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did a search before I took it back and came across the method referenced earlier by edstein, but that was not applicable to the system that I had. Having attempted re-heating tricks before on a video card and a 360 without success, I did not bother with trying them on the PS3. Had some kind of external problem occurred (something melted or warped), this could have impacted my system exchange anyway. I should note that the PS3 with the stuck disc was in mint condition and was well-packaged when I bought it, still having the plastic film on it.
Old 11-12-13, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How did you expect them to confirm your disc was in the PS3. The dip shits in the store have no way to break the case open either.