Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Video Game Developer pulls negative review of their game as "copyright infringement"

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Video Game Developer pulls negative review of their game as "copyright infringement"

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: Video Game Developer pulls negative review of their game as "copyright infringeme

Going back to your Good Morning America example, if Wild Games asked someone GMA to do a review, would GMA have to ask Wild Games for permission to have advertisements in their TV show?

I just don't understand why a company would be shocked and appalled that a guy who has ads on every video he's posted would have ads on this one they want him to do too. Set aside interpretations of fair use. How does common sense even apply to their reaction?
Old 10-21-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Video Game Developer pulls negative review of their game as "copyright infringeme

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Going back to your Good Morning America example, if Wild Games asked someone GMA to do a review, would GMA have to ask Wild Games for permission to have advertisements in their TV show?
GMA would clear everything before going to air and/or posting online. Television is an ENTIRELY different medium than some self-employed YouTuber.
Old 10-21-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I don't think I have the capacity to understand why a company would supply content for review on for-profit YouTube channel and then be incensed that the review is posted on a for-profit YouTube channel. I will clearly never get it.
Old 10-21-13, 11:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't think I have the capacity to understand why a company would supply content for review on for-profit YouTube channel and then be incensed that the review is posted on a for-profit YouTube channel. I will clearly never get it.
Allow me to esplain, Lucy:

1. For-profit channel is very popular and gets a lot of views.
2. For-profit channel gave a negative review to the game
3. ???
4. Copyright violation!

Old 10-21-13, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay. So Wild Games saying "use this for your review" isn't permission for him to use stuff for his review. I'm glad I don't have to deal with lawyers.

I'm still confused because you say it's not about content, it's about the ads, but then you turn the argument to the ads, not the content, but the next time, it's the content, not the ads. I don't get it. I guess I never will.
Everything you upload to YouTube isn't automatically monetized. The majority of people posting to YouTube are uploading content to upload content. Just because you review something doesn't mean you're making money for doing it. Adding ads to a YouTube review is an ENTIRELY different entity. It's not a right, nor is it on by default when you upload.

Somehow in all this, people are assuming that a posted review means you get paid. It does not. Posting a review is posting a review. You're sharing your opinion. It's up to the rights holder to decide where ad revenue goes, if it's applied for.
Old 10-21-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
GMA would clear everything before going to air and/or posting online. Television is an ENTIRELY different medium than some self-employed YouTuber.
No, they wouldn't "clear" it - if they are talking about it in a news context, they can use it. Otherwise, if a controversial game like GTA came out and they wanted to talk about it in a negative way on GMA, you're saying that Rockstar could prevent them from doing so because they make money off ads during their show. That is not how it works at all.

Granted I haven't worked with YouTube much but it would seem to me that this would fall under the same "journalism" umbrella...especially since they provided the review code in the first place.

Last edited by Draven; 10-21-13 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-21-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
No, they wouldn't "clear" it - if they are talking about it in a news context, they can use it. Otherwise, if a controversial game like GTA came out and they wanted to talk about it in a negative way on GMA, you're saying that Rockstar could prevent them from doing so because they make money off ads during their show. That is not how it works at all.
News can't use any footage it likes whenever they like. Most footage they use is either shot by them or provided to them by the rights holders. But they can't just go into a theater, shoot the screen and then run clips of Pacific Rim in a news story. They get feeds of acceptable use footage, via satellite or via the internet.

Granted I haven't worked with YouTube much but it would seem to me that this would fall under the same "journalism" umbrella...especially since they provided the review code in the first place.
It doesn't.

Besides, this whole comparison is apples/oranges. A guy uploading videos to YouTube for profit is not the same as a journalistic entity. No one expects the guy working in the live truck to be feeding his family using footage he shot that day. He's paid for a job.
Old 10-21-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My point in all this is that the guy isn't complaining about being silenced. He's complaining about not getting paid. He could post his video anywhere else he likes. But it's not about the message. It's about the money.

Someone download one of his videos, chop it up, review it, and slap your own ads on it. See what happens.
Old 10-21-13, 12:38 PM

A video doesn't need to be monetized for YouTube to take it down for copyright reasons.
Old 10-21-13, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
A video doesn't need to be monetized for YouTube to take it down for copyright reasons.
That's true.
Old 10-21-13, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

News can't use any footage it likes whenever they like. Most footage they use is either shot by them or provided to them by the rights holders. But they can't just go into a theater, shoot the screen and then run clips of Pacific Rim in a news story. They get feeds of acceptable use footage, via satellite or via the internet.
You are incorrect. Most of the time they pull them off YouTube or download the same trailer from the movie company if they have time. They don't have to ask permission (otherwise no company would allow anything negative to be aired).

Besides, this whole comparison is apples/oranges. A guy uploading videos to YouTube for profit is not the same as a journalistic entity. No one expects the guy working in the live truck to be feeding his family using footage he shot that day. He's paid for a job.
It doesn't take much to get from "guy uploading videos to YouTube" to "guy working in market 200 TV station" so I don't think it's as clear-cut as you do.
Old 10-21-13, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You are incorrect. Most of the time they pull them off YouTube or download the same trailer from the movie company if they have time. They don't have to ask permission (otherwise no company would allow anything negative to be aired).
Different markets, different shops then I guess. We always had permission to use other people's footage.

But, try downloading the official World War Z trailer from that studio's official channel and uploading it on your own. See what happens. (If you'd like to know without going through the motions, they slap a strike on it the second your channel starts processing it.)

It doesn't take much to get from "guy uploading videos to YouTube" to "guy working in market 200 TV station" so I don't think it's as clear-cut as you do.
Well then it's sad that news stations have sunk so low.
Old 10-21-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The videogame companies are extremely petty with their reviewers. They don't want reviews of their game, as much as unthinking praise for their new games.
Old 10-21-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oiUsG2-iNUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-21-13, 04:28 PM

I always get thrown for a loop when he doesn't do his "Francis" character.
Old 10-21-13, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Wild Games Studio has apologized:
We sent TotalBiscuit a Steam key on September 26th, giving him permission to evaluate Day One: Garry’s Incident.

Monetizing wasn’t mentioned in our communications and it was an error on our part to not have clarified the issue.

It was for that particular fact that Wild Games Studio had asked the video’s removal.

After the video was made unavailable, we have taken seriously the reaction from the community concerning freedom of expression.

We strongly believe in the freedom of expression of people and medias and have removed our copyright claim.

Wild Games Studio didn’t intend on preventing anyone from using their right to freedom of expression.

For this reason, Wild Games Studio sincerely apologizes to TotalBiscuit and anyone who felt that their freedom of speech was denied.
My point in all this is that the guy isn't complaining about being silenced.
Yeah, he is, and he was doing it from word one too. (Screenshot and unintended commentary from NeoGAF.)
Again, Wild Games was deleting negative comments wherever they could, posting fake reviews elsewhere in their distinctive broken English (all by users who've never reviewed anything before or since), and:
Isn't it... a little odd, that the only video that didn't have the right to monetize was the most viewed, top ranked, and the most highly critical of the title?
(Positive reviews with ads on YouTube were left intact.) They deserve the blowback.
Old 10-21-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I always get thrown for a loop when he doesn't do his "Francis" character.
I like it when he kinda switches in and out of Francis during the video... that is awesome.
Old 10-21-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

So Wild Games claims:
Monetizing wasn’t mentioned in our communications and it was an error on our part to not have clarified the issue.

It was for that particular fact that Wild Games Studio had asked the video’s removal.
... but somehow monetized reviews that gave the game positive reviews were not asked to remove their videos. Can there by ANY doubt by anyone (except chuck) that this was an ill-advised attempt to quash a bad review?
Old 10-21-13, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
So Wild Games claims:

... but somehow monetized reviews that gave the game positive reviews were not asked to remove their videos. Can there by ANY doubt by anyone (except chuck) that this was an ill-advised attempt to quash a bad review?
Nevermind. Next time I'll just kneejerk along with the lot of you on an issue that affects none of us. Sorry to try and give perspective on an issue that so many people weren't grasping. I'll go back to defending Microsoft spying on your jerk off sessions and whatever else pisses off the internet without thought or context.

Edit: winky faces
Old 10-21-13, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I still think you're pretty great!
Old 10-21-13, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But, try downloading the official World War Z trailer from that studio's official channel and uploading it on your own. See what happens. (If you'd like to know without going through the motions, they slap a strike on it the second your channel starts processing it.)
There is a huge difference between copying a trailer and presenting it as your own and using reasonable clips from something in context that is clearly a review. The latter is fair use, and is not copyright infringement. Whether the review is somewhere that generates advertising revenue is irrelevant if it is a bona fide review. Legal departments tend to err on the cautious side of this, and generally prefer to avoid the issue altogether by getting permission, but that doesn't mean it's infringement.
Old 10-21-13, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Duran
There is a huge difference between copying a trailer and presenting it as your own and using reasonable clips from something in context that is clearly a review. The latter is fair use, and is not copyright infringement. Whether the review is somewhere that generates advertising revenue is irrelevant if it is a bona fide review. Legal departments tend to err on the cautious side of this, and generally prefer to avoid the issue altogether by getting permission, but that doesn't mean it's infringement.
Yes, I know. Having just reviewed World War Z using only the trailer for footage, I had to recut it using only stills instead. The former version of the review was hit with a copyright strike. And this had nothing to do with ad revenue.
Old 10-21-13, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Nevermind. Next time I'll just kneejerk along with the lot of you on an issue that affects none of us. Sorry to try and give perspective on an issue that so many people weren't grasping. I'll go back to defending Microsoft spying on your jerk off sessions and whatever else pisses off the internet without thought or context.

Edit: winky faces
Aye, take a rest.
Old 10-22-13, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Everybody relax. This isn't NeoGAF.
Old 10-22-13, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

The VG industry has a reputation for pulling this shit. Gamespot fired that one critic for a negative review and Jim Sterling got blacklisted from Konami. These guys on YouTube make content for their channel to make money as well as YT gets a good chunk of ad revenue. Some of these guys do this as a full time job. It didn't start that way for them. Boogie stated in his vid he was making videos for free 4 years till YT started paying him. AVGN made his vids on YT free till screw attack scooped him up and started paying him for his videos. These guys have turned this into a legit career.