DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Kingdom Hearts 3 (XB1 PS4) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/614494-kingdom-hearts-3-xb1-ps4.html)

Sonny Corinthos 02-02-19 08:45 AM

Re: Kingdom Hearts 3 (XB1 PS4)

This game is simply incredible. I am so glad I pulled the trigger and got onboard.

dsa_shea 02-02-19 02:36 PM

I like the game and the story but the cutscenes really could be condensed a bit. The wild hairstyles of some of the characters crack me up.

Sonny Corinthos 02-03-19 07:41 AM

How many of you have Kingdom Hearts 2.8? What are you thoughts on it? I have been thinking about getting it so I can learn the backstory of all the characters since KH3 is the first time I have played any of the games before.

mhg83 02-03-19 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13493992)
How many of you have Kingdom Hearts 2.8? What are you thoughts on it? I have been thinking about getting it so I can learn the backstory of all the characters since KH3 is the first time I have played any of the games before.

I have the entire collection. You can skip a lot of the side games. The first KH hasn't aged well but I would still recommend playing through as it's the easiest to grasp the story.
2 still holds up really well. One of the best action RPGs hands down.

For side games I would say Birth By Sleep for sure. I never played Dream Drop Distance so I can't say how that one is.

There's also a prologue to KH 3 called "A Fragmentary Passage" It's short but really fun.

Sonny Corinthos 02-04-19 07:10 AM

Thank you mhg83.

Noonan 02-04-19 02:59 PM

About 12 hours in now. The game is still a visual treat but I'm starting to find it bland and disappointing considering the hype I had for a 3rd game. They clearly shifted this to more of a Disney experience. Maybe they realized that the SE story was over-complicated and wanted to limit it or they just wanted to market the game to broader/younger audience. Either way, each world is much more about the Disney characters than Sora and the SE characters. While it does have FF style spells and I can upgrade my weapons; it all feels basically irrelevant. I can just spam normal attack and pop the over-the-top super moves when available and get through any fight I've come across (on Proud mode). I also read that the game shed basically all the end-game content which would give me a reason to see it through. Fighting Sephiroth in the Arena in 2 was one of the most stressful boss fights I've ever experienced. Sounds like there's nothing even remotely close that in 3.

mhg83 02-04-19 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13494835)
About 12 hours in now. The game is still a visual treat but I'm starting to find it bland and disappointing considering the hype I had for a 3rd game. They clearly shifted this to more of a Disney experience. Maybe they realized that the SE story was over-complicated and wanted to limit it or they just wanted to market the game to broader/younger audience. Either way, each world is much more about the Disney characters than Sora and the SE characters. While it does have FF style spells and I can upgrade my weapons; it all feels basically irrelevant. I can just spam normal attack and pop the over-the-top super moves when available and get through any fight I've come across (on Proud mode). I also read that the game shed basically all the end-game content which would give me a reason to see it through. Fighting Sephiroth in the Arena in 2 was one of the most stressful boss fights I've ever experienced. Sounds like there's nothing even remotely close that in 3.

I heard the Arena and a lot of the end game content will be DLC :(

The Questyen 02-04-19 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13494835)
About 12 hours in now. The game is still a visual treat but I'm starting to find it bland and disappointing considering the hype I had for a 3rd game. They clearly shifted this to more of a Disney experience. Maybe they realized that the SE story was over-complicated and wanted to limit it or they just wanted to market the game to broader/younger audience. Either way, each world is much more about the Disney characters than Sora and the SE characters. .

This is great to hear. I was planning on replaying through the collection before starting up 3 and I forgot how terrible and convoluted the storyline (I consider myself a pretty big Kingdom Hearts fan and it might have the stupidest storyline in all of gaming) in these games are. The Disney stuff is the only reason to play these games so trying to force myself to play through (or watch) the side games (which have very little Disney in them) was a torture I had to stop. 1 & 2 is good enough for me. There was a 15 minute video recap of the plot of Chain of Memories that I watched that was the most boring 15 minutes of my life and nothing in it made any sense.

A-aron 02-05-19 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13493712)
I like the game and the story but the cutscenes really could be condensed a bit. The wild hairstyles of some of the characters crack me up.

I picked this up for the XB1 (and I've never payed any of the previous games) but the cutscenes seem to take up the majority of play. The actual play parts have been fun, but then it seems like 20 min of video.

Rob V 02-05-19 08:47 AM

^^ Yeah, this. I never played but got caught up in the hype. I spend more time listening to corny dialogue than playing... I hope that changes soon or this is going into the pile with RDR2.

Noonan 02-05-19 08:49 AM

I found myself skipping cut scenes last night. I think that means it's time for me to move on to another game in my backlog for now. The "action" isn't good enough to stand on its own.

mhg83 02-05-19 03:26 PM

I'm slowly chipping away at this game (About 1-2 Hours a night) Not that It's a bad game, but I just don't want to rush through and be done. Who knows how long it'll be till KH4 releases :(

Sonny Corinthos 03-01-19 08:47 AM

Does anyone have this? If so, is it worth 40 bucks? https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/k...-so-far/169228

RichC2 03-01-19 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13508804)
Does anyone have this? If so, is it worth 40 bucks? https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/k...-so-far/169228

If you feel like playing all of Kingdom Hearts, then definitely. It's the two previous releases (KINGDOM HEARTS HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX and KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.8 FINAL CHAPTER PROLOGUE) in one package.

Which in detail is:
HD Remake of Kingdom Hearts
+ remake of Re:Chain of Memories (Gameboy Advance) -- Takes Place between KH1 and 2
+ remastered 358/2 Days "Cinematic Experience" (It was a Nintendo DS game, they removed all the gameplay) -- Takes Place between KH1 and 2
HD Remake of Kingdom Hearts 2
+ remake of Birth by Sleep Final Mix (PSP -- this is a prequel to #1)
+ remastered Kingdom Hearts Re:coded "Cinematic Experience" (Nintendo DS, they removed all the gameplay) -- Takes place after KH2

Here's a write-up from Kotaku if you need more detail, though this line sums it up overall:
"It’s an important one to play if you want to understand the Kingdom Hearts story. Just kidding. Nobody understands the Kingdom Hearts story."
https://kotaku.com/a-guide-to-kingdo...les-1788498264

starseed1981 03-01-19 10:14 AM

Just wrapped it up. The game is insane. I took differential topology in college and that made more sense than the story of this game. Gameplay wise, I was able to get through the entire thing on normal by simply mashing "x" and creating a short cut to Cure. I don't think the game got Disneyified but it's pretty clear it was created in a very expedited manner. Still, the production & graphics were top notch. I don't think it's worth the full price of admission but if you can get it around $20 then it's a no brainer.

Koby 03-01-19 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13508804)

I bought it. It includes pretty much everything KH related leading up to KH3 all in one package. Which amounts to like 9 titles in all.
So when you think of it that way, it's basically $4.44 per title included.

Sonny Corinthos 03-02-19 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 13508960)
I bought it. It includes pretty much everything KH related leading up to KH3 all in one package. Which amounts to like 9 titles in all.

Thanks for the help. I had some store credit burning a hole in my pocket at GameStop so I went looking for it. I asked the guy at the counter and he told me they had gotten a few copies that morning. He went to the back and found one, brand new, never opened. I look forward to diving into it the first chance I get.

Honestly, I thought there would be more discussion here about KH lll, but it's been pretty quiet so far.

redbill 03-02-19 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Koby (Post 13508960)

I got the All-in-One Digitally instead. Story so Far + KH3 for $99.

Finsihed KH1, re: CoM, and now fallen asleep for 2 straight nights trying to get through 358/2.

Sonny Corinthos 06-19-19 07:48 AM

Did this game underachieve? People were talking about this game for ages, and it seems like once it came out, I haven't heard much about it.

Noonan 06-19-19 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13567195)
Did this game underachieve? People were talking about this game for ages, and it seems like once it came out, I haven't heard much about it.

Sadly, yes. It didn't live up to expectations and was pretty dull overall. Fantastic graphics though.

nickdawgy 06-19-19 09:44 AM

I never finished it. I got bored with it.

Decker 06-19-19 09:56 AM

I eventually got bored and quit as well. Plus the story was so convoluted and poorly told. It was hard to care.

dsa_shea 06-19-19 12:29 PM

It was like getting Jaws 3 to wrap up a trilogy.

fujishig 06-19-19 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by redbill (Post 13509386)
I got the All-in-One Digitally instead. Story so Far + KH3 for $99.

Finsihed KH1, re: CoM, and now fallen asleep for 2 straight nights trying to get through 358/2.

I just can't do chain of memories, I just hate the combat so much.

Sonny Corinthos 06-20-19 06:42 AM

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I last played about two months ago. I was almost through the Tangled world, and really don't have the desire to finish that world or the game.

Noonan 06-20-19 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13567629)
I'm glad it wasn't just me. I last played about two months ago. I was almost through the Tangled world, and really don't have the desire to finish that world or the game.

I think right after Tangle is where I gave up. I don't think I made it to another world after that; unless Toy Story was after it? I don't even remember anymore.

nickdawgy 06-20-19 08:05 AM

I think I finished everything up til Winnie the Pooh world. I never went there. I think Big Hero 6 land was the last one I finished. I liked the fun combat in the beginning but it got repetitive. And the Organization 13 stuff made me want to break something. Enough already.

I need to get rid of my copy.

Decker 06-20-19 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13567637)
I think right after Tangle is where I gave up. I don't think I made it to another world after that; unless Toy Story was after it? I don't even remember anymore.

I think you could pick which to go to first between those two

gerrythedon 11-14-19 10:42 PM

Shinji Hashimoto, brand manager for Final Fantasy and game producer for Square Enix, took to the X019 stage this evening to announce that the back catalogue of Kingdom Hearts games would be joining Kingdom Hearts III on Xbox next year.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n39...xbox-next-year

EinCB 11-14-19 11:13 PM

I'm reading conflicting info - is all of the KH going to Game Pass or are they getting a physical release? Or both?

mattysemo247 11-15-19 12:50 PM

The Final Fantasy games are coming to Gamepass, not Kingdom Hearts.

brainee 02-01-21 11:55 AM

Last March I started the All-in-One journey (I think I picked it up during PS's "Big in Japan" sale; KH1 and 2 were the only games I played before). Almost done now ... just started the San Franokyo world.

I'm liking KH3 a lot more than it sounds like you guys. The new Pixar and Disney worlds are well done ... as mentioned, it's impressive how the graphics are about as good as the CG movies they're based on. I'm finding the game play fun, although it's really easy. I played every other KH game on "Standard" (except for "Chain of Memories" which I played on Easy because I wanted to power through it, not caring for the combat mechanics). That was always the right level of challenge for me. But if I knew how this game would be, I would've done Proud mode (which sounds like what Normal felt like in the past). I haven't come close to dying. Between attractions, keyblade form changes, group special attacks, flowmotion combos, shotlock attacks, and link summons there just seems to be too many super-powered things you can throw at enemies to stop them from challenging you.

Despite having played every game in the series in the last 9 months, the story is still convoluted. I can just imagine how much nonsense it must sound like to someone new the series (and considering how long ago KH2 was, there must be plenty newcomers), I would've thought the creators would realize that and make this more stand-alone friendly, but to make sense of it you really need to remember stuff from every game (and even then it doesn't all make sense).

I didn't bother with the ReMind DLC. Reviews (even those that liked the main game) say it's garbage, and I have better things to do with my time and money.

redbill 02-01-21 12:08 PM

I did the same thing in 2019. the weekend before KH3 came out, I decided to buy the All-in-One. about 7 games later, 8-9 months, and several Youtube recaps, I was finally ready for KH3. People complain about 2020, but that had to be the biggest wasted year of my life.

Obi-Wanma 02-01-21 12:37 PM

I had only played Kingdom Hearts 1 on PS2 and nothing since. I started again from the beginning in August of 2019, and I am only up to Dream Drop Distance at this point, because:

1. I didn't play them straight through, I played other games in between.

2. I'm a shameless trophy whore, and I had to platinum every game. Birth by Sleep was the biggest pain in the ass in this regard.

3. I'm not the best at gaming, but I'm persistent.

I guess that all I have after this is a movie and fragmentary passage before Kingdom Hearts 3, so I might get to it this year, but then again, I might not. :lol:

brainee 02-01-21 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by redbill (Post 13884151)
I did the same thing in 2019. the weekend before KH3 came out, I decided to buy the All-in-One. about 7 games later, 8-9 months, and several Youtube recaps, I was finally ready for KH3. People complain about 2020, but that had to be the biggest wasted year of my life.

:( Aw, KH1 and KH2 are great games (though a bit dated now for graphics, despite the remastering). I thought Birth by Sleep was almost at that level ... I liked how while you visited the same worlds with the three main characters they were completely different experiences. And I enjoyed Dream Drop Distance, although I didn't like how a timer booted you out of a character. And the game was really scraping the bottom of the barrel for new Disney worlds to visit.

Chain of Memories was the only game I regretted playing. Didn't like the card battle mechanics. And it was dull how you just mostly fought generic rooms of enemies, repeated from KH1. I found the videos dull, but it's nice that they're there. Though in retrospect my time might've been better spent spending a couple of minutes reading a synopsis instead of a couple of hour with each video.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13884175)
I guess that all I have after this is a movie and fragmentary passage before Kingdom Hearts 3, so I might get to it this year, but then again, I might not. :lol:

You can do it!!! Fragmentary Passage only takes a couple of hours at most. I have yet to see the relevance of that last video in my KH3 play, but maybe it will before the end.

redbill 02-01-21 04:50 PM

I almost gave up on Chain of Memories each of the first 3 times I played it, then I finally got the hang of it, and kind of liked it. Birth by Sleep was actually really good, maybe my favorite, but by that time, I was kind of rushing through them and didn't feel like giving it the play through it deserved. KH1 was probably the best. KH2 was trash.

RichC2 02-19-21 11:36 AM

This is set for release on PC on March 30th ($59), along with 1.5 + 2.5 ReMIX ($49), 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue ($59) and Melody of Memories ($59)

Obviously there will be an excellent bundle sale on it at some point in the future, but it's nice to see it finally make the leap.

Koby 02-19-21 05:16 PM

Awesome to see the entire KH franchise headed to PC. Hope Square-Enix brings the rest of Dragon Quest to PC soon too.