Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What console are you buying at lunch? (Salami Edition)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: What are you getting?
PS4
36.19%
Xbox One
26.67%
Both
10.48%
Neither
25.71%
Not Sure
4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

What console are you buying at lunch? (Salami Edition)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-13, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
re: What console are you buying at lunch? (September Edition)

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Well, some of us trophy/achievement collectors do like to look at our own collection as well as others. About 20 or so of my friends have gamer levels of more than 20.
I like to look at other people's game collections, and see what their overall trophy percentage is. I don't know about the gamer level all that much, though I just hit level 22 after getting my 60th platinum. But my overall percentage is almost 96% across all my games.

I just look at trophies as another way of beating the game. Though I will admit that at times it's driven me to do crazy things I would have had no part of otherwise (like reaching Rank 10 in GTA IV online for example)
Old 09-02-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
There are DLC trophies all the time. You are correct in the fact that they aren't needed to earn the platinum, but they do take away from getting 100% in the game. For example, I platted Borderlands 2 just once, but I've had to 100% the game 3 times.
If you don't put the game in again after the update, I think you should still be at 100%. It's only when the game gets patched for the DLC that your percentage dips back below 100%
Old 09-02-13, 09:47 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Not to speak for someone else, but I think there are a fair number of people who preordered both consoles but only ever planned on getting one. Given the very limited availability of these consoles at launch, that would let them make their choice later but still be guaranteed the system they want on day one.
If I can still pre-order them how are they limited?
Old 09-02-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
If I can still pre-order them how are they limited?
How many of those preorders are for launch? Even if there are still plenty of those, was any sort of availability now a widely-held expectation a month and a half ago? Aside from missteps like the overpriced PS3 at launch and the Wii U, how many consoles could you just leisurely walk into a store, pay for, and be out the door with it in your hands five minutes later?
Old 09-02-13, 10:00 AM
Suspended

How many of those preorders are for launch? Even if there are still plenty of those, was any sort of availability now a widely-held expectation a month and a half ago? Aside from missteps like the overpriced PS3 at launch and the Wii U, how many consoles could you just leisurely walk into a store, pay for, and be out the door with it in your hands five minutes later?
If you have really want a console, going to 3-5 stores in a city isn't such a big deal (for those that choose not to pre-order).

But they are still popping up for 'Day One' pre-order on Amazon, Best Buy etc. Target hasn't even started offering their $5 pre-order cards yet.
Old 09-02-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm curious as to why you're now leaning to canceling your PS4 preorder, as nothing's changed since E3. As someone with dual next gen controllers as your avatar, it seemed you were on board with both.
Oh, and ultimately I still am. I will definitely still get a PS4, but there isn't anything at launch that is a must have in my eyes. Infamous will probably end up being the first game I get, so I have some time if it comes down to it. If I keep both, November is going to be one expensive month, especially when you add the Black Friday sales to the list as well.
Old 09-02-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

If you have really want a console, going to 3-5 stores in a city isn't such a big deal (for those that choose not to pre-order).
Why go to 3-5 stores when you can go to zero stores (or already have gone to just one)? Why is a lot of effort for a possibility more preferable to little-to-no effort for a guarantee? That preorders may or may not still be available is immaterial; the question is "did we think that'd be the case a month and a half ago?" For a lot of us, apparently the answer was "no, we thought they'd have sold out", so we acted accordingly.
Old 09-02-13, 10:13 AM
Suspended

Why go to 3-5 stores when you can go to zero stores (or already have gone to just one)? Why is a lot of effort for a possibility more preferable to little-to-no effort for a guarantee? That preorders may or may not still be available is immaterial; the question is "did we think that'd be the case a month and a half ago?" For a lot of us, apparently the answer was "no, we thought they'd have sold out", so we acted accordingly.
And now we know you can still pre-order them which means either demand simply isn't there (for either console) like Sony/MS thought, or they are over-producing units (which could mean lots of extra stock come release day).

I guess pick your poison.
Old 09-02-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by discostu1337
Millions of people, myself included. It completely changed gaming last generation.
Notice I said "still care" - I realize it was a game changer at the time but we've been in this generation for awhile. I used to hear about people renting specific games for an easy 1000 points and I can't remember the last time that came up in a podcast or anything else I've listened to lately.

And I've never once looked at my PS3 trophy list. I don't even know where it is . I think most gamers don't care about any of it.
Old 09-02-13, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And now we know you can still pre-order them which means either demand simply isn't there (for either console) like Sony/MS thought, or they are over-producing units (which could mean lots of extra stock come release day).

I guess pick your poison.
As it stands now, Amazon is sold out of all pre-orders for the PS4. Not only just the launch units and bundles, but also the standard edition. While Day One Editions of the Xbox One are sold out, the regular console still remains "in stock" for pre-order, but I would assume those pre-orders will not get to customers on launch.
Old 09-02-13, 10:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I believe several people have had their "regular" edition upgraded to "launch edition" for both consoles as people cancel pre-orders, Amazon reevaluates their stock, etc.

My assumption is that both consoles are going to have a ton of cancellations late in the game from people who have ordered both as a placeholder, but really only plan to buy one this year.
Old 09-02-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
My assumption is that both consoles are going to have a ton of cancellations late in the game from people who have ordered both as a placeholder, but really only plan to buy one this year.
Truth Bitches!
Old 09-02-13, 11:01 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
As it stands now, Amazon is sold out of all pre-orders for the PS4. Not only just the launch units and bundles, but also the standard edition. While Day One Editions of the Xbox One are sold out, the regular console still remains "in stock" for pre-order, but I would assume those pre-orders will not get to customers on launch.
Launch Unit pre-sales were 'in-stock' yesterday. Amazon seems to be opening up spots randomly (they always seem to do this).

Of course there is still Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart etc.
Old 09-02-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Launch Unit pre-sales were 'in-stock' yesterday. Amazon seems to be opening up spots randomly (they always seem to do this).

Of course there is still Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart etc.
And some retailers, like Wal-Mart, are only taking pre-orders for the consoles in stores (they only allow customers to pre-order bundles online). In this case, YMMV.
Old 09-02-13, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

As pointed out, lots of people just put in a pre-order for both(since there is no down payment) with the intent to cancel one of them at a later date once all the cards were on the table. As we get closer to release people are dumping one or the other freeing up day one availability.
Old 09-02-13, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Neither. I'll wait for round two. People's memories are short, but there's always problems with first releases.
Old 09-02-13, 11:42 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

have the pre-order for X1, but really not sure if i will keep it...
Old 09-02-13, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at the notion you'll be able to waltz into a retail store and buy either of these on launch day. We're not talking about WiiUs here.
Old 09-02-13, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I have always much preferred the achievement system to trophies. It is hard to put into words why, but I never bother even looking at trophies, yet I do find myself pulling up the guide real quick to see compare my achievements to someone else's. I think it is mostly because of the way it is implemented.
Old 09-02-13, 11:55 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by chess
at the notion you'll be able to waltz into a retail store and buy either of these on launch day. We're not talking about WiiUs here.
Apparently you can see the future like usual.

This is 2013, not 2006/2006. A $400/$500 console isn't going to be "sold out" very long. Aside from the I GOTTA HAVE THIS NOW people, it'll be somewhat available depending how many units Sony/MS ship (when they release sales numbers will tell the story).

PS3 was available for walk-ins even though Sonywhatshisface didn't send me my $1,100 like he promised!

360, IIRC, was a bit more difficult to find the 20GB version. I remember seeing the Core a few places before the Holidays.
Old 09-02-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Achievements let me see where my friends are in a game without having to hound them all the time. Trophies are the most convoluted system... you can't tell anything from them. Yes, I know they were shoehorned into the system.

I no longer do the whole "cheap games for easy achievements" thing, but when I'm selling or trading in a game, I'll get all that I can attain before doing so.

Also I did a bunch of cool stuff in Saints Row 3 & 4 because there were achievements for them, and I don't regret a thing. When implemented well, they enhance a game.
Old 09-02-13, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Neither. I'll wait for round two. People's memories are short, but there's always problems with first releases.
People keep saying this, but I've had plenty of consoles at launch with zero problems. There are always 1 or 2 games worth trying and that's enough to hold me for a few months until things ramp up.
Old 09-02-13, 11:59 AM
Suspended

I think Achievements/Trophies help make the game last 'longer'. Even though they are meaningless, it gets more play out of me to try and achieve them. I hate some of the Multiplayer ones where it forces opponents/team mates to be stupid to get them.

I stopped caring a few years back however.
Old 09-02-13, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Achievements let me see where my friends are in a game without having to hound them all the time. Trophies are the most convoluted system... you can't tell anything from them. Yes, I know they were shoehorned into the system.

I no longer do the whole "cheap games for easy achievements" thing, but when I'm selling or trading in a game, I'll get all that I can attain before doing so.

Also I did a bunch of cool stuff in Saints Row 3 & 4 because there were achievements for them, and I don't regret a thing. When implemented well, they enhance a game.
How are achievements and trophies different from one another? They both unlock when you have met a certain requirement. Aside from that neither one tells more or less about where another gamer is in a certain game. Convoluted? I really think that some MS fans don't like how Sony has something similar in play.
Old 09-02-13, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
How are achievements and trophies different from one another? They both unlock when you have met a certain requirement. Aside from that neither one tells more or less about where another gamer is in a certain game. Convoluted? I really think that some MS fans don't like how Sony has something similar in play.
Unless there's something I'm missing in the PS3 interface, I absolutely cannot look through a friends trophies like I can their achievements on the 360. It's not bias. One system works better than the other as far as I've been able to tell.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.