DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Say Hello to the Nintendo 2DS! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/613056-say-hello-nintendo-2ds.html)

chuckd21 08-28-13 10:37 AM

Say Hello to the Nintendo 2DS!

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/usg...x-1/format/jpg

Groucho 08-28-13 10:42 AM

Re: Say Hello to the Nintendo 2DS!

"Inserts into back side approximately here" LOL

Price point?

chuckd21 08-28-13 10:43 AM

$129. Comes in red or blue. Available in October.

Also, has a 3D camera for pictures you can never, ever see.

pinata242 08-28-13 10:45 AM

That. Looks. Hideous.

Why lose the clamshell?

I'm all for a new 2D DS in theory as I couldn't give any less of a shit about 3D and I turned my off on the 3DS for the 2 hours I played on it like 2 years ago, but this seems like an unnecessary entry as the 3DS does that anyway so where's the benefit for the consumer vs. just focusing on the price point of the 3DS itself?

Meeeeeehhhh-eh.

chuckd21 08-28-13 10:47 AM

They should have just stripped the 3D out of the existing 3DS and kept the design. Closing that thing up and putting it in your pocket is key. This thing...

fumanstan 08-28-13 10:47 AM

http://kotaku.com/introducing-the-ni...ypo-1214807721

This is interesting to me. As someone that doesn't care for 3D, this might work well for me to play Zelda!

The system is compatible with all 3DS and DS games. Its two screens are the same size as those of the original 3DS, smaller than those on the Nintendo 3DS XL. The 2DS' upper screen will not render graphics in 3D, though the system's two outward-facing cameras will still take photos and video in 3D, saving those files on a memory card so that they can be transferred to hardware that does display stereoscopic 3D imagery.P

The system launches on October 12 in North America, the same day as the release of the first major next-gen handheld Pokemon games, Pokemon X and Y. Those games will only work on post-DS systems, a line that now includes 3DS, 3DS XL and 2DS.P

The 2DS will sell for $129.99 and will be available in red or blue. That price makes it $40 cheaper than the Nintendo 3DS and $70 cheaper than the Nintendo 3DS XL (and recently price-dropped PlayStation Vita)

Groucho 08-28-13 10:49 AM

Since 3D can be turned off, it seems to me that $40 is an acceptable upgrade price for the clamshell.

Jeremy517 08-28-13 10:52 AM

I probably would have gotten one if they had stuck with the clamshell. I can't see why anyone would prefer that shape.

Noonan 08-28-13 10:52 AM

I never turn on the 3D on my XL. If this were out when I bought mine, I probably would have gone with it to save the $. I also never travel with it so the design wouldn't bother me.

pinata242 08-28-13 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11813315)
Since 3D can be turned off, it seems to me that $40 is an acceptable upgrade price for the clamshell.

I disagree with that. I don't see a market for a rigid DS body. The consumer would have been better treated if they had saved the time, design, and manufacturing structuring spent on this SKU towards a cut on the existing 3DS and XL models. This is just silly segmentation.

Noonan 08-28-13 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 (Post 11813319)
I probably would have gotten one if they had stuck with the clamshell. I can't see why anyone would prefer that shape.

One less thing to break. The hinges have always been the weak link on the DS/3DS.

Michael Corvin 08-28-13 10:53 AM

This will be a bigger dud than the PSPGo.

Groucho 08-28-13 10:56 AM

I can see non-tech savvy parents getting completely confused by this. "There are no games on the shelf for 2DS!"

MoviePage 08-28-13 10:56 AM

It's a monstrosity.

pinata242 08-28-13 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11813325)
I can see non-tech savvy parents getting completely confused by this. "There are no games on the shelf for 2DS!"

:up:

Plus aren't the 3DS games more expensive than the DS games because of 3D?

Decker 08-28-13 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11813315)

The price savings is minimal. The design is terrible. Best as I can guess, they put these out just so they can fully convert to "next gen" handheld with kiddie games without parents worrying about their kids accidently being exposed to 3D.
I've researched this and besides the Nintendo warning, I can't find any medical literature supporting this fear of 3D under age 7. But whatever, if they wanted to sell "next gen" games to little kids, they needed to have a system that was incapable of displaying 3D images.

For the record, it's taken like two and a half years to take the system's most-touted feature and eliminate it. That's way longer than it took the Xbox One! :up:

chess 08-28-13 11:03 AM

Wait...they made a cheaper version of the 3DS without the gimmicky 3D and without hinges?

Huh. I'd never really considered one until just now, so it's working on somebody. :up:

Moopher 08-28-13 11:15 AM

I think this will work great for parents buying them for their kids. Much cheaper and they don't give a shot what it looks like. I know at that price my brother will be buying them for my nieces and nephew.

Jcheckel 08-28-13 11:19 AM

Wow, that's ugly. Sorta disappointed with only the mono speaker too. I can see why they're doing this though, launching a cheaper system the same day the new Pokemons that don't work on the old DS comes out, I think it'll definitely get some people to upgrade that have been holding out.

I wonder how it'll work for the Zelda game where
Spoiler:
you have to close the screen to solve the puzzle, I'm assuming the sleep switch.

E Unit 08-28-13 11:21 AM

I guess I'll wait for the 2DS XL. I like my 3DS XL screen size.

Gizmo 08-28-13 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 11813324)
This will be a bigger dud than the PSPGo.

Go was $250 at launch (I think) and only played digital titles.

This plays physical titles, half the price, and the Nintendo handhelds have always sold better. It's the cheapest Nintendo handheld while the Go was the more expensive.

Still a weird as design. $99 by Black Friday.

fujishig 08-28-13 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 11813355)
Go was $250 at launch (I think) and only played digital titles.

This plays physical titles, half the price, and the Nintendo handhelds have always sold better. It's the cheapest Nintendo handheld while the Go was the more expensive.

Still a weird as design. $99 by Black Friday.

So it's the GBA Micro then. :)

I guess Nintendo had to get another revision out to meet their quota of handheld redesigns on a yearly basis, but ick.

Still, if it means I get more street/spot passes, I'm all for it.

GoVegan 08-28-13 11:28 AM

Whoa. When I opened the thread the first thing I saw was the mono speaker note and I assumed this was just a joke. Strange.

I already have a 3DS, but I'll admit, the 3D is generally either off or almost off. I can't imagine I'll ever get one of these, even with a price drop, but I'll be curious to see it in person.

Gideon68 08-28-13 11:32 AM

I thought this was a joke, too.

Gizmo 08-28-13 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 11813358)
So it's the GBA Micro then. :)

I guess Nintendo had to get another revision out to meet their quota of handheld redesigns on a yearly basis, but ick.

Still, if it means I get more street/spot passes, I'm all for it.

I can't remember right now but wasn't the GBA essentially "dead" except for a few crapware titles at the time of its release? The DS was already out.

Man, no one saw this coming.