Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Most impressive video game consoles at the time they were released?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Most impressive video game consoles at the time they were released?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-13, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Most impressive video game consoles at the time they were released?

I tend to recall Turok and Goldeneye being pretty damn popular. But the Xbox was the first console to really compare to a PC (though I remember being impressed by Duke Nukem 3D running on a Saturn back in the day )

I seem to remember Morrowind being pretty small compared to Daggerfall. But I had a PC at that time so I guess I didn't notice that was the first of that series to get ported to console.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-20-13 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-20-13, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lastblade
Neo Geo, it was arcade pixel perfect at home (with some censorship on a few fighting games).
That was my first thought. Also, the ability to use a card in the arcade and bring it home and use it on your system was crazy.
Old 06-20-13, 10:50 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I tend to recall Turok and Goldeneye being pretty damn popular. But the Xbox was the first console to really compare to a PC (though I remember being impressed by Duke Nukem 3D running on a Saturn back in the day )

I seem to remember Morrowind being pretty small compared to Daggerfall. But I had a PC at that time so I guess I didn't notice that was the first of that series to get ported to console.

i remember being completely amazed by the bullet holes you could put in the wall. i was like daaaaaamn awesome grafffffffix!
Old 06-20-13, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

N64 for me.
Old 06-20-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
The original Xbox was quite impressive for bring FPS shooters to console. People tend to forget that at the tend, FPS games were hugely popular on the PC market, but not much of an impact on consoles. The system launched with Halo offering a quality title with awesome graphics hat rivaled the best PC games. It also introduced the massive time sink RPG games like Morrowind.
I don't think people forget that at all. Everyone chalks up the modern FPS genre's success from Halo.
Old 06-20-13, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dreamcast. NBA 2k/NFL 2k were just a huge step up in everything from before. changed video games forever for me. still the best $99 i spent on a game. Special shout out to Samba De Amigo. great stuff
Old 06-20-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought about a little more and I think the N64 wins for me. Not only did the cleaner 3D graphics impress me (low poly count and all ) but it brought upon the dedicated thumb analog joystick which made 3D feel right.
Old 06-20-13, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I change my answer to the Dreamcast. I remember being impressed by the 2K sports games, and Dead or Alive, Sonic, Crazy Taxi.
Old 06-20-13, 02:25 PM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I change my answer to the Dreamcast. I remember being impressed by the 2K sports games, and Dead or Alive, Sonic, Crazy Taxi.

here you go bringing up Dreamcast memories. if you talk about phantasy star online, house of dead 2 with my starblaster, or quake 3 arena on the little ole 56k modem -- i will bust into tears.

One of the greatest consoles ever created.

Last edited by wlj; 06-20-13 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-20-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

That controller was terrible. I still have phantom blisters from playing Virtua Tennis for hours. I did love the games though.
Old 06-20-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Atari 2600, NES and ps3. The ps3 added a bunch of non-video game possibilities with the whole entertainment hub idea, online play, a blu-ray player, netflix, mlb etc.

Genesis was just a step up from NES graphics wise from 8 bit to 16bit.

Ps1 and ps2 impressed me in the length of time they got people to wait for a video game to load once discs were introduced in place of fast loading cartridges. I didn't have much use for ps1 or ps2 xbox or wii. Video games were terrible from the Genesis until the ps3. Plus the fact that I got my first HDTV and ps3 within a week of each other. Went from a 27" CRT TV to a 50" Plasma. It was simply amazing.
Old 06-20-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chess
I was actually leaning N64. I was a PS1 guy that generation, but Super Mario 64 was a revelation and has held up quite well even to this day.
That's my vote. Even though the camera in that game is a disaster, the game was overall so groundbreaking and the console so solid that it blew my mind... at the time.

Also, the first time I played Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. What a game.
Old 06-20-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Soul Calibur on Dreamcast was amazing. The silky smooth frame rate and visuals in general were a sight to behold, that game imo is the benchmark transition point into modern gaming.

And honestly, it still looks pretty decent

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/62TG0XG_XwM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OTOH, this is roughly the visual quality that cellphone games are at, if not a little higher.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-20-13 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-20-13, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Me007gold
Any answer other then Atrai 2600 would be incorrect.
I remember it vaguely, and it just didn't look that fun. One button, games looked like shit compared to the arcade. Then I saw the NES <3 <3 <3
Old 06-20-13, 04:34 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I would say both the N64 and Dreamcast come to mind.

Neither of them can compare in importance to the impact of the PSX & PS2, but if we're only talking about initial release then both took about a year to gain their footing. PSX started to first catch on in early '96 with the likes of Tekken and Resident Evil.

PS2 had quite possibly the best year in gaming history for a single console in 2001:

-Red Faction
-Twisted Metal Black
-Gran Turismo 3
-NBA Street
-Silent Hill 2
-Devil May Cry
-Grand Theft Auto III
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
-SSX Tricky
-Metal Gear Solid 2
-Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
-Jak & Daxter
-Final Fantasy X
-ICO
Old 06-20-13, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gamecube. Star Wars: Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II was an awesome launch game and looked fantastic.
Old 06-20-13, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
I thought about a little more and I think the N64 wins for me. Not only did the cleaner 3D graphics impress me (low poly count and all ) but it brought upon the dedicated thumb analog joystick which made 3D feel right.
Nintendo was so stupid for not using cd's for games. Most of the games looked better than what was on Playstation imo

But yeah, that's a great system. Introduced an analog thumbstick and rumble, both of which are still enjoyed to this day.
Old 06-20-13, 06:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Nintendo was so stupid for not using cd's for games. Most of the games looked better than what was on Playstation imo

But yeah, that's a great system. Introduced an analog thumbstick and rumble, both of which are still enjoyed to this day.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/algIZx4HIaU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"You didn't tell them about the rumble pack did you?"

Old 06-11-14, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I would have to say the Commodore Amiga. I recall seeing early games like Defender of the Crown and Shadow of the Beast and being blown away. There were also a tonne of demos that were rather brilliant.
Old 06-11-14, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
TurboGrafx 16. Fantastic graphics, great game library, huge step up from the previous generation, and it launched with a CD Rom drive (sold separately) at a time when CD Rom games were just starting to become an emerging technology.
This was the first one I thought of. I remember the commercials for this and being totally blown away by the graphics.
Old 06-11-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Playstation 4. Clearly.
Old 06-11-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually thought the N64 was a bit of a letdown, at least after all the hype that was built up about "project reality." I remember in 1994 they were claiming that the home versions of Killer Instinct and Cruisin' USA would get pixel-perfect replicas of the arcade versions on the "Ultra 64." And then the disk add-on, which was supposed to address the limited space on cartridges, never came out in the US.
Old 06-12-14, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

NES. I mean the jump from Atari2600 to the NES was incredible, like others said, it saved the video game industry.
Old 06-12-14, 12:15 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If we're talking in terms of initial wow factor, the Genesis and PS1 for me.

For Genesis, the jump in graphic and audio quality in even a simple game like Altered Beast was incredible. At a time when arcade games were still hot, those NES arcade adaptations were getting worse and worse as arcade tech improved. So to see something actually looking like the arcade version was amazing to me.

The PS1 probably had a lot to do with the fact it was the first CD-based system I played, but to have true voice and music was incredible. The use of video was also awesome initially, although the novelty of that wore off and those video cutscenes became a nuisance after a while.

Last edited by DRG; 06-12-14 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-12-14, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had (have) a 3DO that I bought with a work bonus back in 1994. For two years it was my mainstay, my favorite game being Return Fire. There were some other ones on that platform that were great as well, but with the advent of the PlayStation in 1995 and Twisted Metal, it soon fell out of gaming rotation for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.