Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Watch Dogs

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13, 11:11 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Watch Dogs

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I don't think you understand the PS/Xbox crowd at all.

The WiiU is the red headed step child around here. The few of us that do own it will likely be buying Watch Dogs on a different platform. You and Gizmo might possibly be the only people buying it for the WiiU. Mario will be good but doesn't really help someone wanting a hot title on their new console.
I have zero interest in Watch Dogs.
Old 10-15-13, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thing you're not in the Watch Dogs thre... oh wait.
Old 10-15-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 10-15-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Originally Posted by chuckd21

Although, in fairness, I too have zero interest in this game and only clicked on the thread out of sheer boredom.
Old 10-16-13, 08:57 AM
Suspended

Just read it was delayed so I figured I'd pop in to see the discussion.

Sad another GTA clone got pushed. Guess everyone will just continue to play...GTA5.

Last edited by Gizmo; 10-16-13 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-16-13, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually kind of happy it got pushed back. This is a game I was extremely interested in, but with buying the Xbox One, DR3 and BF4, I was going to have to pass on it. This will hopefully now give me a chance to pick it up and support the game.
Old 10-16-13, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Just read it was cancelled so I figured I'd pop in to see the discussion.

Sad another GTA clone got pushed. Guess everyone will just continue to play...GTA5.
Not canceled... delayed. Like Rayman for the Wii U.
Old 10-16-13, 09:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rob V
Not canceled... delayed. Like Rayman for the Wii U.
My bad. Meant to write delayed.
Old 10-16-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

There you go.

Not trying to be a dick, but is anyone other than LMM really considering Watch Dogs for WiiU? Does the gamepad offer anything substantial that would be better than the graphical upgrade PS4 & X1 will offer?
Old 10-16-13, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was interested in the game, but not as a launch title. If it's good, I might pick it up on the cheap next fall or even wait to see if it hits PS Plus. There are lots of options for open world games, and Infamous Second Son is more likely to get my attention in spring.

The delay is disappointing but understandable. It looked like it needed some work, and the prospect of following the probably superior GTA V and competing directly against their own AC4 (which looks phenomenal) couldn't have been ideal. Of course, now they'll probably end up releasing close to GTA V for next gen and PC.

The move probably hurts PS4 more than XB1 in terms of launch lineup given the 60-minute exclusive and XB1 having DR3 as yet another open world game to compete against at launch. But I'd imagine most of its sales would have been on current gen anyway.

I wonder what this means for The Division. Hopefully it was already planned for fall 2014, and this move didn't push it back any. That game looks much more impressive...more "next gen" if you will.
Old 10-16-13, 10:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
There you go.

Not trying to be a dick, but is anyone other than LMM really considering Watch Dogs for WiiU? Does the gamepad offer anything substantial that would be better than the graphical upgrade PS4 & X1 will offer?
PS4 and XB1 are not out yet. Most consumers are going to get it for those two consoles over XB1 or PS4 anyway so it's a silly comparison IMO (maybe with the delay that might change a bit).

But yeah, if I were to chose, I'd choose Wii U over XB1 or PS4. I enjoy how the GamePad incorporates stuff into games (from the ones that actually use the GamePad). I've played nearly all of Skylanders on my GamePad! Screw the TV!

But no...I won't be buying Watch Dogs. At all.
Old 10-16-13, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

PS4 and XB1 are not out yet. Most consumers are going to get it for those two consoles over XB1 or PS4 anyway so it's a silly comparison.
I'm talking about people here. Most were considering it as a launch purchase for either the X1 or PS4. Of the group of gamers here, I was just curious if anyone else even has WiiU in consideration.
Old 10-16-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watch Dogs was the only PS4 game I had coming with my launch console. Just going to mess with #DRIVECLUB free edition now, I guess.
Old 10-16-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I have a Launch Edition PS4 on pre-order but Watch Dogs was the only game I was planning to play for now. Not big into the BF4 or COD stuff. I would love to play AC4, but I am still on Brotherhood LOL, so I have a little ways to go to get up to date. I don't see anything else on the launch title list that excites me.

Add to that my large unplayed PS3 pile which includes the latest Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, Darksiders II, the aforementioned Assassin's Creed games and a ton of other shit, and I'm starting to think I should probably just sell my launch edition and wait until spring or summer next year to get it again.
Old 10-16-13, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ubisoft shares were down 22% after this news. Yikes.
Old 10-16-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
I was interested in the game, but not as a launch title. If it's good, I might pick it up on the cheap next fall or even wait to see if it hits PS Plus. There are lots of options for open world games, and Infamous Second Son is more likely to get my attention in spring.

The delay is disappointing but understandable. It looked like it needed some work, and the prospect of following the probably superior GTA V and competing directly against their own AC4 (which looks phenomenal) couldn't have been ideal. Of course, now they'll probably end up releasing close to GTA V for next gen and PC.

The move probably hurts PS4 more than XB1 in terms of launch lineup given the 60-minute exclusive and XB1 having DR3 as yet another open world game to compete against at launch. But I'd imagine most of its sales would have been on current gen anyway.

I wonder what this means for The Division. Hopefully it was already planned for fall 2014, and this move didn't push it back any. That game looks much more impressive...more "next gen" if you will.

From the gameplay I saw, DR3 looked like crappy. I'm not seeing a huge improvement in next gen graphics here. PS3 does still have Killzone as a launch exclusive.
Old 10-16-13, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, people were actually going to pay full retail for an Ubisoft game?
Old 10-16-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just read it was delayed so I figured I'd pop in to see the discussion.

Is every open world game a GTA clone? I never even thought of Watch Dogs as being a clone.
Old 10-16-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Wait, people were actually going to pay full retail for an Ubisoft game?
Only because of the launch of a new console.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Is every open world game a GTA clone? I never even thought of Watch Dogs as being a clone.
To GTA fans? Yes. Their belief is that GTA5 came out, Ubisoft went "Whoa, shit! That's amazing!" and delayed the game in order to swipe features from it.
Old 10-16-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Only because of the launch of a new console.
Still seems like a dumb idea, given that it's Ubisoft.
Old 10-16-13, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

To GTA fans? Yes. Their belief is that GTA5 came out, Ubisoft went "Whoa, shit! That's amazing!" and delayed the game in order to swipe features from it.
Pretty much exactly what happened over there. They realized their next gen game was nowhere comparable to GTA V on current gen and need to overhaul it. A game delay within a month of release is not to fix issue or tweak anything. It's to "start over" or add completely new ideas. It takes about a two weeks to pass format and another week or two to manufacture and ship discs. Watch Dogs was a street dated item and included in hardware bundles, so it was already finished. Definitely a bad sign for the quality of the game. Sucks because I've been excited for it since 2011.
Old 10-16-13, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by discostu1337
Pretty much exactly what happened over there. They realized their next gen game was nowhere comparable to GTA V on current gen and need to overhaul it. A game delay within a month of release is not to fix issue or tweak anything. It's to "start over" or add completely new ideas. It takes about a two weeks to pass format and another week or two to manufacture and ship discs. Watch Dogs was a street dated item and included in hardware bundles, so it was already finished. Definitely a bad sign for the quality of the game. Sucks because I've been excited for it since 2011.
If you are right, it's not exactly surprising. WD reminds me way too much of AC. An interesting concept that is boring in execution. If they are indeed overhauling the game before release, that'd mean we stand a very good chance of getting the WD equivalent of AC2 right off the bat. That's a good thing as far as I see it.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-17-13 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-16-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If it's really Spring 2014, I disagree that it would be to "start over" as that's not nearly enough time to make significant changes to the core game. I would say it's a part of the game that's not functioning the way they want or they had advertised. Or hell, maybe give them time to boost graphics. Although I do imagine GTAV probably scared them off a bit, especially if they're sandwiched between GTAV and Call of Duty/Battlefield.
Old 10-16-13, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

link?
Old 10-16-13, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No link, just educated guessing and common sense based on my knowledge of how games are created. Feel free to roll your eyes, I expect nothing less from you at this point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.