Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Electronic Arts acquires the Star Wars license

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-13, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Electronic Arts acquires the Star Wars license

All the developers are very good at what they do, but I have to reiterate that EA is the publisher, and they have shown how much they don't give a crap about us gamers. Just like how the once great Rare went to shit after they were bought out by Microsoft.
Old 05-07-13, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I hate exclusive deals in video games, it has been horrible for NFL games and I hope this is not the case with the SW franchise.
Old 05-07-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if there isn't a Star Wars themed Battlefield game (which would probably be pretty awesome), I'll be shocked.
Old 05-07-13, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
I hate exclusive deals in video games, it has been horrible for NFL games and I hope this is not the case with the SW franchise.
Hasn't Lucasarts published all of the SW videogames for a long time? If anything, this sounds like it's no longer exclusive since EA will do the more hardcore games while Disney gets the mobile/casual games.
Old 05-08-13, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by DynamicKnight
All the developers are very good at what they do, but I have to reiterate that EA is the publisher, and they have shown how much they don't give a crap about us gamers. Just like how the once great Rare went to shit after they were bought out by Microsoft.
Hadn't most of the Rare talent already left at that point?
Old 05-08-13, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
Hadn't most of the Rare talent already left at that point?
Seems like the founders of Rare jumped ship in 2007, about 5 years after they were bought, I'm not sure about the rest of the developers. I did like Kameo however, but that was the only post-Microsoft game I liked.
Old 05-08-13, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

You didn't like Viva Pinata? I loved that game back in the day. Thought it was original and fun, a great family game.
Old 05-08-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
if there isn't a Star Wars themed Battlefield game (which would probably be pretty awesome), I'll be shocked.
Isn't that pretty much what Battlefront and Battlefront 2 were?
Old 05-08-13, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
You didn't like Viva Pinata? I loved that game back in the day. Thought it was original and fun, a great family game.
Eh, it's not like I thought it was a bad game, it had a very creative style to it, but the gameplay didn't really appeal to me very much.
Old 05-11-13, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Isn't that pretty much what Battlefront and Battlefront 2 were?
Yes but that doesn't mea EA won't do a modern version of the concept using the Battlefield mechanics and engine. Would be cool to get an updated Battlefront type game.
Old 04-04-14, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Amy Hennig joins EA's Visceral Games to work on Star Wars

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/3/5578...ames-star-wars

Could be interesting if she works on the next Dead Space game
Old 04-04-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

So does this close the door on Star Wars Infinity, or is that part of the social/mobile/whatever that they kept?
Old 01-15-19, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Didn't quite know where to put this, but figured it could go right in the thread where the EA deal originally was announced opposed.

https://kotaku.com/ea-cancels-open-w...ame-1831786371

Electronic Arts has canceled its open-world Star Wars game, according to three people familiar with goings-on at the company. The game, announced alongside the shutdown of Visceral Games back in 2017, had been in development at EA’s large office in Vancouver.

EA Vancouver, a large studio that mostly handles support for a variety of the publisher’s games including FIFA and Battlefront, had been working on this open-world Star Wars game since October 2017, when EA closed Visceral Games. Until then, Visceral—best known for its popular Dead Space horror series—was developing its own Star Wars game. That project, code-named Ragtag, was a linear action-adventure game directed by Uncharted director Amy Hennig. EA Vancouver had been assisting on the project, and when EA closed Visceral Games on October 17, 2017, the Vancouver studio took it over.

But it wouldn’t be accurate to say that EA Vancouver’s Star Wars was the same game as Ragtag. When EA Vancouver took over, it rebooted this Star Wars project entirely, keeping some of the art assets but transforming it into an open-world game.

Now, that project is canceled, too. (EA did not immediately respond to a request for comment.)
What's left, Respawn's game?
Old 01-15-19, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

So, I'm pretty sure after the Battlefront 2 loot box stuff and this, Disney has to yank this back from them, right? They can't seem to get it right.
Old 01-16-19, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
So, I'm pretty sure after the Battlefront 2 loot box stuff and this, Disney has to yank this back from them, right? They can't seem to get it right.
Probably. I don't see Disney extending it, but realistically speaking, the only other publishers who could get it and be big enough are Ubi or Activision. I could maybe see a company like Sega being a dark horse, or if Microsoft really wanted to make a wave, buying the rights and having them exclusively appear on Xbox.
Old 01-16-19, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Probably. I don't see Disney extending it, but realistically speaking, the only other publishers who could get it and be big enough are Ubi or Activision. I could maybe see a company like Sega being a dark horse, or if Microsoft really wanted to make a wave, buying the rights and having them exclusively appear on Xbox.
I guess there's a question of whether there has to be an exclusive developer/publisher, or whether Disney/LucasArts could grant licenses for specific game proposals from a variety of developers and publishers. The Lego Star Wars games seem to be their own separate license, and those are generally well received.
Old 01-16-19, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Give it to Rocksteady or Insomniac
Old 01-16-19, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

What a fucking mess .

Give it to Ubisoft. They've consistently put out a good product for the last several years, imo anyway.
Old 01-16-19, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Ubisoft or Insomniac please... I'm not sure I've played a really good Star Wars game in the last 20 years.
Old 01-16-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I guess there's a question of whether there has to be an exclusive developer/publisher, or whether Disney/LucasArts could grant licenses for specific game proposals from a variety of developers and publishers.
Exactly.

We're early in Marvel Games' new initiative, but Spider-Man (Insomniac developing, Sony publishing) certainly worked out well for them, Ultimate Alliance 3 (Team Ninja developing, Nintendo publishing) looks promising, and...well, who knows about Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics' Avengers game, but I'm optimistic there anyway. Hopefully Lucasfilm will follow that model when this 10 year (sigh) agreement with EA has come to an end. 2023? 2024? The idea that only one monolithic company is allowed to play in such an enormous universe with so many possibilities seems bizarre to me. It didn't work as well as it should've with Marvel and Activision, and it's not working with Star Wars and EA.

At least we should still see Respawn's Star Wars game this year.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 01-16-19 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-16-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I still don't know why we don't have an actual X-wing (or tie fighter) game on modern consoles.
Old 01-16-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think because Battlefront 2 does a damn nice job of incorporating that into the overall game. I'd love a dedicated X-Wing vs Tie Fighter series but I think the scope is too small when you consider it'd probably never be a true flight sim on a console.
Old 03-20-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Disney is allegedly bringing back Lucasarts as a developer... there was an article on Yahoo and now I can't find it.
Old 03-20-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Disney is allegedly bringing back Lucasarts as a developer... there was an article on Yahoo and now I can't find it.
They're bringing back "LucasFilm Games," which was the name for LucasArts prior to 1992.

The rumor comes from job listings, indicating that Disney is hiring for in-house game development.
https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/20/...casfilm-games/
https://www.pcgamer.com/lucasfilm-ga...ted-by-disney/

"LucasArts" is technically still around as a video game licensing entity. It may be that "LucasArts" is used for games licensed to other developers, with "LucasFilm Games" for in-house games.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LucasArts
Old 03-20-19, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.