Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-19, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
re: The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Anyone messed around with the alt space app? It's pretty cool going to an open mic night in VR. Everyone who went up on stage was pretty horrible, but was still pretty neat thing to be able to do.
What is an open mic night in VR? Is it people singing? Comedy? That's an intriguing concept. How many people were there?
Old 10-03-19, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Yeah, there was people doing both singing and comedy.
I would say there was 20-30 people in the crowd, and the people who wanted to go on stage and perform would line up to the side.
And as a spectator you are given access to emotes to applaud or boo the performer if you want.
Old 10-07-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm 'working from home' today so I took a break to try out the first Vader Immortal episode. It was hands down the most polished VR experience I've had, and it was incredible. If I didn't have to get even a little something accomplished today, I'd download and start the next one right now.
Old 10-07-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
I'm 'working from home' today so I took a break to try out the first Vader Immortal episode. It was hands down the most polished VR experience I've had, and it was incredible. If I didn't have to get even a little something accomplished today, I'd download and start the next one right now.
It really is exceptional. The second one keeps up the quality, and in some respects pushes it further, but its short at around 35 mins. The Lightsabre dojo however is vastly improved and you can have a lot of fun with that on its on. Cannot wait for Episode III and have my fingers crossed that we get more of this type of experience in the future.
Old 10-08-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Does anyone use Skybox with Oculus Quest? I far prefer it to the build-in Oculus video player due to greater robustness of handling different formats, fun viewing settings (like in a big theater, on a space station, or on the moon) and streaming capabilities (through Airscreen and normal media servers).

The last time I tried to use it (over the weekend) there was an update to the app. And of course, the update stopped making it work for me Particularly the streaming capabilities ... both the Airscreen and normal media servers aren't showing up anymore. Nothing else has changed about my computer, modem, or internet set-up (and streaming to other devices still works perfectly fine). Does anyone know what's up with this? Is it something anyone else is experiencing (and maybe something Skybox knows about and is working on)? Or is it just me (in which case I'm probably shit out of luck )
Old 10-09-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
Does anyone use Skybox with Oculus Quest? I far prefer it to the build-in Oculus video player due to greater robustness of handling different formats, fun viewing settings (like in a big theater, on a space station, or on the moon) and streaming capabilities (through Airscreen and normal media servers).

The last time I tried to use it (over the weekend) there was an update to the app. And of course, the update stopped making it work for me Particularly the streaming capabilities ... both the Airscreen and normal media servers aren't showing up anymore. Nothing else has changed about my computer, modem, or internet set-up (and streaming to other devices still works perfectly fine). Does anyone know what's up with this? Is it something anyone else is experiencing (and maybe something Skybox knows about and is working on)? Or is it just me (in which case I'm probably shit out of luck )
I believe i have it, but not used it recently. I will boot it up tonight and see what happens. I have certainly installed the update as thats the first thing i check every time i start my Quest up. I encountered an issue with VRPokerStars from the last update. I saved my coin for one of the new electric axes, bought it and displays in my Stash, but when i try materializing it in hand it doesn't appear. Tempted to uninstall and reinstall the game to see if it makes any difference.
Old 10-09-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I use Skybox, but I've never streamed with it - always just played files which had been copied to the Quest.

I've only noticed the usual Pokerstars problems since the update - occasional crashes, screen going black, difficulties joining tables, etc.

I'm definitely disappointed that Beat Saber has lost support for custom songs, so I haven't updated that.
Old 10-16-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I booted up Skybox and it worked fine for me. I was only playing from the drive though and not streaming. It actually got me wondering if there is anyway i could stream from my nVidia Shield to the Occulus. Probably not, but would be cool.
Old 10-31-19, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

After such a long wait between Episode I and II, a nice surprise to see Vader Immortal Episode III is coming out November 21st.
Old 11-01-19, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
After such a long wait between Episode I and II, a nice surprise to see Vader Immortal Episode III is coming out November 21st.
Nice! thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-06-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you haven't already, give Sports Scramble a try (demo)... sounds ridiculous but is simple and very fun. I can't pull the trigger at $30 but if it comes down to $20, I'm in.
Old 11-07-19, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts

I enjoy Sports Scramble. It’s fun.
Old 11-13-19, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was in Vegas over the weekend and got to try out The Void... unfortunately, the Star Wars adventure wasn't available so I played The Avengers: Damage Control. I was more than mildly disappointed that I couldn't try the SW world out but I at least wanted to see how immersive it was. Overall, I wasn't blown away. You spend a lot of time walking on a platform and around corridors until you eventually stand still and "shoot" bad guys. I'm not a Marvel slappy so maybe this wasn't the game for me but while it did have some cool features (smell of popcorn when you were shrunk down by Ant Man), graphically it wasn't any better than my Quest.
Old 11-13-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

^ I did the Void Star Wars experience in Orlando and found just the first episode of Vader Immortal on the Quest was much better (not to mention longer and cheaper).
Old 11-13-19, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm going to agree. I like the concept of The Void but the graphics are subpar and the Kinect-style hand tracking is too laggy.

I like the platforms, smell piping and weapon mapping and will still keep going to them, but it's definitely lagging behind the VR curve at this point, and substantially at that.
Old 11-15-19, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With Christmas sales approaching I'm wondering if I should get an Oculus Go for $150 to dip my toe in VR/3D media consumption or would that be a waste and I should just put it towards an Oculus Quest? Because I'm thinking that the Go would still be useful to watch movies and such as It seems to be lighter and more comfortable to wear than the Quest for that purpose.

Anyone own both that could chime in?
Old 11-15-19, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Quest is outstanding... I wish I could compare them both for you but I can't imagine not just going for that. The controllers are tight and spot on, the headset is generally comfortable and it does an excellent job with setup. That said, I've not used it to watch movies -- only play games. So if you're just doing movies, it's probably not worth the extra few hundred bucks.
Old 11-17-19, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rob V
The Quest is outstanding... I wish I could compare them both for you but I can't imagine not just going for that. The controllers are tight and spot on, the headset is generally comfortable and it does an excellent job with setup. That said, I've not used it to watch movies -- only play games. So if you're just doing movies, it's probably not worth the extra few hundred bucks.
Thanks. That kind of doesn't help Was hoping the Go might just scratch that itch enough to not spring for the quest.
Old 11-17-19, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

If you think there is any chance you will want to game on it at some point and not just watch media, then you would be wasting your money on the Go in my opinion.

Last edited by Maxflier; 11-17-19 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-17-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Go was similar to using the Daydream with a Samsung phone. The Quest is a different beast entirely.
Old 11-17-19, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,001 Likes on 621 Posts

I've got a Go, and I'm not much of a gamer so I use it primarily for media and I have been happy with it.

However, I got it ~2 years ago. If I were going to buy something today, I'd probably get the Quest.
Old 11-19-19, 10:59 PM
Cool New Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just picked this up today and grabbed Vader immortal Ep 1 and Beat Saber. Any other games or apps you suggest?

thanks
Old 11-20-19, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you pick up the Rift, Rift S or Quest?

Multi-platform wise, I'd probably pick up Virtual Virtual Reality, Superhot, Racket NX and I dunno, either Pistol Whip or Space Pirate Trainer.

If you're using the Rift or Rift S, then add Moss and Robo Recall to that list -- I haven't tried Moss on Quest yet but I feel like they degraded Recall a little too much on the Quest port.
Old 11-20-19, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would recommend Immortal Episode II, VRPokerStars (which is free, but is a superb poker game), Superhot, and i have a few of the 3D Art apps which are really great to use. Also, check out free apps like BigScreen as they are fun. Immortal Episode III also comes out in the next week, so give that a go.
Old 11-20-19, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh yeah, I'm told Thrill of the Fight is great especially if you need a workout.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.