Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Old 11-19-18, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
re: The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

I think the bundle with the controllers is $50 more, but it comes with two different games, Superhot and something else. For what it's worth, Superhot VR is insane and is really the only must-play VR title I've played.

But I hear Astro Bots and Moss are both excellent as well, and I'm really interested in Tetris Effect, but $40 is steep for Tetris.
Old 11-19-18, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Yeah Super Hot is the best, not sure how well it works w/ Move tho.
Old 11-19-18, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I already have Superhot on Xbox and I would end up buying the other two games anyways, which is why I was looking at that bundle.
Old 11-19-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You can play Super Hot in non-VR? How ... that sounds awful.

But yeah, the Astro Bot Rescue Mission game is worth the price of admission alone.
Old 12-09-18, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

Anyone have the HTC Vive? Your impressions?
Old 12-12-18, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

PSVR is going to be $100 off again from 12/16 to 12/26. The positive thing is also includes the new Borderlands 2 & Beat Saber bundle that comes out on Friday.

I ended up just price matching Astrobots and Tetris Effect at Target since Gamestop had them on sale for $20 each, so I think it's time to finally dive in.
Old 12-12-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm hoping to get an Oculus Rift for xmas
Old 12-12-18, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Yeah I've heard nothing but great things about Astro Bots. I bought one for Xmas, though now I can't find my Move controllers from the PS3 days. Plus I now have two PS4 cameras.
Old 12-12-18, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I'm hoping to get an Oculus Rift for xmas
I think I'm going to pickup the HTC Vive and waiting on the Oculus Quest in a few months. I'll be interested in your assessment of the Rift.
Old 12-12-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thinking about taking the plunge on a Playstation VR. Curious about a few things.

-Do you have to physically walk around the room to play these games? Or is it like the Kinect was where you run/walk in place? Or controller? I'm assuming it depends on the game.

-I don't have a lot of room between the TV and couch if games require you to move. Will that be an issue? Does camera require room to track you?

-I've read that they don't recommend VR games for kids below a certain age presumably because it is a new technology and there haven't been many studies on its effects. Is it ok in moderation? Do you allow your kids to play it?

Thanks
Old 12-12-18, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

A friend picked up an Oculus the other day. Holy shit, Beat Saber is amazing and so much fun.
Old 12-12-18, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Beat Saber is amazing. Just be sure your friend modded it, one click and so much more goodness

Originally Posted by Gooter
Thinking about taking the plunge on a Playstation VR. Curious about a few things.

-Do you have to physically walk around the room to play these games? Or is it like the Kinect was where you run/walk in place? Or controller? I'm assuming it depends on the game.

-I don't have a lot of room between the TV and couch if games require you to move. Will that be an issue? Does camera require room to track you?

-I've read that they don't recommend VR games for kids below a certain age presumably because it is a new technology and there haven't been many studies on its effects. Is it ok in moderation? Do you allow your kids to play it?

Thanks
With PSVR -- some games are sit down, some stand up, some where you move around (ie: Kinect style). You can walk around in most of the game worlds, but it's more a bonus than a requirement (ie: walking up to the edge of a cliff in Astro Bot). You definitely need to measure out your room to make sure you have enough room though -- you need a certain amount of distance between the camera and the helmet for it to work properly. Some games, like Super Hot, need additional room.

I always run into kids on the Rift, it's weird that PSVR specified the 12+ thing they don't want to be held accountable for any kind of injury. I've seen plenty of kids use it in moderation with no ill effect.
Old 12-13-18, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Ok, hopefully someone can enlighten me. I've been in the fence with PSVR, but with the recent sales I've come really close to buying one and this upcoming sale is tempting me again. My question is movement in games like Skyrim, Borderlands or any "FPS' view. Is there a reason the "warping" movement instead of actual "normal" game movement is used? I was watching the Borderlands 2 PSVR videos and it boggles my mind that anyone would find it playable when you have to warp around instead of "walking/running" through the game world. Is this a control or game limitiation?
Old 12-13-18, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

I think people get motion sickness with the walking movement so that's why the option is usually there.
Old 12-13-18, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think people get motion sickness with the walking movement so that's why the option is usually there.
Yeah, in VR, moving around without actually moving your body causes conflict between your eyes and inner ear, and makes motion sickness a lot more likely. Standing in one place and looking around is typically fine, and thus "warping" from stationary location to stationary location is a lot less likely to cause motion sickness.
Old 12-13-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that's why a lot of people were getting sick playing RE7. They did add a few more options though to give you better control in VR, so that might have helped a little bit.

But I couldn't imagine something like Doom VR where everything is so fast paced, even with the warping.
Old 12-31-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I got an Oculus Rift for xmas. Now I just need my home remodel to be completed so I can set up my computer again!
Old 01-01-19, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

I really haven't thought about getting one in the past but seems the last several months the PS VR has got a lot of positive reviews along with a greater influx of games. I've never even tried one on....

So how does this hook up; directly to PS4 or direct to TV...I have a Projector with a Yamaha AVR with all the HDMI stuff running thru.

My Grandson got one for Christmas and loves it...have yet to go over and test it...but he likes it when we do co-op games. Are there ones for co-op?

Adult/Mature games....I've seen Doom and Borderlands VR...but already have them on normal games. Are there some others worth looking at? We saw a video of one where some space team where they crashed and fought big spiders. I saw something on Apollo, Everest and Titanic then even looked interesting.

Does the switching the cables around and connection to the Headset processor stay connected as is even during normal playing?....I says to plug in the USB into Slot 2 in the front of the PS4...I have a USB HD in Slot 1 and use Slot 2 for a USB wireless Skullcandy Headphones...can I even use them?

Why do you need the camera when there's a headset? We have a camera already but got to have the room lit up for it to really work and seem you want it more dark or does that matter...light leakage a problem?

Last edited by K&AJones; 01-01-19 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-02-19, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up an HTC Vive for Xmas... it's slick. I haven't spent a ton of time using it much as the first Vive I bought had a defective base tower so I spent waaaaay too much time trying to trouble shoot it. The second unit works like a charm. I've tried the Google Earth app and a zombie shooter so far. Both are immersive and impressive.
Playing the zombie shooter (more cutesie than real) I had a hell of a time "picking up" my guns so I kept looking down, looking down and next thing I know, two zombies are in my face... I physically jumped back and made my son crack up.
Old 01-02-19, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V
I picked up an HTC Vive for Xmas... it's slick. I haven't spent a ton of time using it much as the first Vive I bought had a defective base tower so I spent waaaaay too much time trying to trouble shoot it. The second unit works like a charm. I've tried the Google Earth app and a zombie shooter so far. Both are immersive and impressive.
Playing the zombie shooter (more cutesie than real) I had a hell of a time "picking up" my guns so I kept looking down, looking down and next thing I know, two zombies are in my face... I physically jumped back and made my son crack up.
Google Earth is the unsung hero of VR, it's the coolest damn thing.

I had a similar experience with Super Hot, where I look away for a second, and turn back only to have a face full of buckshot waiting to greet me. That always gets a mixed jump/"GODDAMMIT!".

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I really haven't thought about getting one in the past but seems the last several months the PS VR has got a lot of positive reviews along with a greater influx of games. I've never even tried one on....

So how does this hook up; directly to PS4 or direct to TV...I have a Projector with a Yamaha AVR with all the HDMI stuff running thru.

My Grandson got one for Christmas and loves it...have yet to go over and test it...but he likes it when we do co-op games. Are there ones for co-op?

Adult/Mature games....I've seen Doom and Borderlands VR...but already have them on normal games. Are there some others worth looking at? We saw a video of one where some space team where they crashed and fought big spiders. I saw something on Apollo, Everest and Titanic then even looked interesting.

Does the switching the cables around and connection to the Headset processor stay connected as is even during normal playing?....I says to plug in the USB into Slot 2 in the front of the PS4...I have a USB HD in Slot 1 and use Slot 2 for a USB wireless Skullcandy Headphones...can I even use them?

Why do you need the camera when there's a headset? We have a camera already but got to have the room lit up for it to really work and seem you want it more dark or does that matter...light leakage a problem?
1. Yeah there are a few Co-op games, there's even one called Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes where you can co-op with another person in the room (You're trying to diffuse a bomb, they have the bomb manual and can't see what you do.) Star Trek Bridge Crew is another one, and I believe there are quite a few others.

2. Resident Evil 7 is solid in VR.

2. You can use a USB hub for your HDD and Skullcandy Headphones. Also you leave the box connected, it works like a replicator (output to TV and VR headset), the first PSVR release included a box that didn't support HDR pass thru, the second release fixed that.

3. Camera tracks your relative position, Playstation Move controllers, and regular game controller (It tracks it using the light on the PS4 game pad) -- They have some authentically cool uses of the PS4 gamepad in VR. Ie: https://youtu.be/moe-FX1NvxA?t=168

Last edited by RichC2; 01-02-19 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-02-19, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Forgot to ask one important question on the camera position...does it need to be say within 6-7 ft and at a certain height? Right now it's under the large projector screen and about 9-10 ft away. Sitting down it hits us ok. Space wise...we're fine with about 7-8ft radius if need be.
Old 01-02-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They recommend 6': https://www.playstation.com/en-au/ge...st-experience/, but most people report it working fine up to 10'.

Being beneath the screen shouldn't be an issue, it wasn't for me.

I'm not sure why they recommend sitting, some games like Beat Saber and Super Hot require you to be standing though many do not and I always enjoy looking off edges in other titles.
Old 01-02-19, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I could be wrong for the PS4 gear but I believe the Vive is impacted by the light the projector kicks out. I would be surprised if the camera isn't impacted by that as well.

Edit: The Vive is impacted by reflections and light.
Old 01-02-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was using a projector when I had mine and was running into those issues as well. When I was thinking about picking up one again, that was the main obstacle I was trying to think of how to overcome. Because I was having a hell of a time with the camera recognizing the move controllers correctly.
Old 01-02-19, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I was using a projector when I had mine and was running into those issues as well. When I was thinking about picking up one again, that was the main obstacle I was trying to think of how to overcome. Because I was having a hell of a time with the camera recognizing the move controllers correctly.
Out of curiosity, how far back were you?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.