Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-16, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
re: The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

I picked up Robinson The Journey. I can only play it for 5 or so minutes before I get really nauseous. It is a beautiful world and maybe the most convincing VR I've seen, but it's practically unplayable for me.
Old 11-13-16, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
I picked up Robinson The Journey. I can only play it for 5 or so minutes before I get really nauseous. It is a beautiful world and maybe the most convincing VR I've seen, but it's practically unplayable for me.
Did you try adjusting the brightness down a little? I find that helps in other titles, also are you on a PS4 or a Pro?
Old 11-14-16, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Did you try adjusting the brightness down a little? I find that helps in other titles, also are you on a PS4 or a Pro?
On a regular PS4. Have not tried turning down the brightness. I'll give that a shot tonight. Thanks!
Old 11-15-16, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone getting a flickering problem where the TV screen goes black and then comes back after about 5 seconds?

From a few forums I am reading that Vizio and LG's are having issues with the Pro somewhat related to flickering or no image.
It looks like it changed inputs because it displays the HDMI port # when it comes back.
This happens in game with different games and also on the home screen.

I have a PS Pro and the PSVR.
The HDMI to the TV is going through the VR box.
I have tried 2 ports on my TV and both are set to enhanced to enable 4k60 and HDR.
Hdmi cables are high speed with Ethernet and the one that came with the system.
My TV is the Sony 75X850C with all firmware updated and I have rebooted the TV several times already.
I did not try connecting the Pro directly to the TV bypassing the VR box yet.
The Xbox one S does not have this problem.
Old 11-17-16, 10:10 AM

Wireless VR *hopefully* is soon to be a possibility. The crucial quotes are

*MIT has done some preliminary testing of MoVR, and the results are promising. In both line-of-sight and indirect communication scenarios, it did not degrade the performance of a wireless HTC VIVE VR headset in a room with standard furniture. The end goal is to shrink the MoVR hardware down to something about the size of a smartphone. Sticking a couple of them on your walls would allow you to create an environment where multiple users can play a VR game wirelessly at the same time.*

*The system uses special high-frequency radio signals called “millimetre waves” (mmWaves), that allow for the untethered transfer of multiple Gbps, or billions of bits per second.)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mit.../1100-6445463/

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/t...(IEEE+Spectrum)

Last edited by BBEANLPHIE; 11-17-16 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-17-16, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

HTC announced a wireless kit for their Vive headset a week ago or so.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/10/...reless-add-on/
Old 11-17-16, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
HTC announced a wireless kit for their Vive headset a week ago or so.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/10/...reless-add-on/
I just read that somewhere else also. With the amount of data that needs to be transferred to the headset I am wondering how good it is especially since this ia a brand new thing.
Old 11-17-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by BBEANLPHIE
I just read that somewhere else also. With the amount of data that needs to be transferred to the headset I am wondering how good it is especially since this ia a brand new thing.
Yeah, there's some debate over whether it has the low input lag that HTC is claiming.
Old 11-17-16, 02:55 PM

Yeah, there's some debate over whether it has the low input lag that HTC is claiming.
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.”
― Carl Sagan

Old 11-17-16, 03:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Is "Robinson: The Journey" a digital-only title or something? Best Buy has it listed on the site, but with no release date or availability.
Old 11-17-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No, it has a physical release as well. Amazon had it earlier this week, but now it's backordered.

https://www.amazon.com/PSVR-Robinson...binson+journey

I did find it funny that you can get a digital copy from Amazon for $40, but PSN wants $60 for it?
Old 11-17-16, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
Is "Robinson: The Journey" a digital-only title or something? Best Buy has it listed on the site, but with no release date or availability.
For some reason a lot of B&M stores aren't carrying it in stores, but it is definitely available on disc and was already released. Walmart and GameStop seem to carry it in-stores, Target and Best Buy? Not so much.

It's $39.99 in stores, or $59.99 for digital.

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/ro...rney-vr/138133
http://www.target.com/p/game-robinso...y/-/A-51872419
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Robinson-...y-PSV/55013169
Old 11-17-16, 03:41 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks guys, and thanks for the links. I was hoping for Best Buy since it'd only be $32 with GCU. Amazon offers it for the same price (with Prime only), but no delivery date.
Old 11-17-16, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BBEANLPHIE
Bandwidth wise it'll definitely be fine, the question is latency. I'm going to guess it's going to add ~15ms of latency, but we'll know for sure pretty soon.
Old 11-18-16, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dan
I couldn't find it at Best Buy. Went to Fry's and they had about 20 copies of it.
Old 11-28-16, 01:51 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

On a regular PS4. Have not tried turning down the brightness. I'll give that a shot tonight. Thanks!
I picked up Robinson on Thursday and finally played it last night, and I had the same problem. I even turned down the brightness before I played it. It was "okay" for the first 20 minutes or so, but as soon as I changed the controls to be more like a typical FPS, I couldn't do it. Instant nausea. I had to rip the headset off. So strange. I'm going to mess with the controls again (and the brightness again!) to see if I can find a sweet spot. The game is interesting enough, that's for sure.
Old 12-07-16, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Anyone try the Star Wars Battlefront VR update? That might be one of the few things that make me really want a PSVR.
Old 12-07-16, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

^^ No, but I'm buying a third copy of this game just for it.

One for me on X1
One for my son on X1
One for me... err, my son on PS4 VR.
Old 12-07-16, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ordered a copy of the Ultimate Edition on BF when Amazon had it for $20. Still hasn't shipped though
Old 12-07-16, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This should be good in terms of standardizing on VR.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/07/go...r-association/

Google, HTC, Oculus, Samsung, Sony join forces to create Global VR Association

The goal of the Global Virtual Reality Association will promote responsible development and adoption of VR globally. Association’s members will develop and share best practices, conduct research, and bring the international VR community together as the technology progresses. The group will also serve a resource for consumers, policymakers, and industry interested in VR.
Old 12-07-16, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Anyone try the Star Wars Battlefront VR update? That might be one of the few things that make me really want a PSVR.
Yeah, they knocked it out of the park. I wouldn't advise getting the vr just for it, due to the length, but it's a no brainer for anyone who already has taken the plunge. Total mission is about 20 minutes, with 10 of those being dogfighting with imperials and the remainder just flying around the rebel fleet. Really geeky and fun experience. Played it three times and I kept crashing on one of them because I spent a good chunk of time just doing stuff like looking around the cockpit and pushing every button I could see, checking out my R2 unit and opening and closing my wings. Most of the cockpit controls don't do anything as far as I could tell, but several do things you can otherwise do with the controller buttons and you can actually turn on the targeting computer, though I don't think you can use it.
Old 12-08-16, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was standard space shooter VR fare, but the scale of certain things gave it occasional awe inspiring moments. They really need to expand upon it, I'd buy it in a heart beat.
Old 12-09-16, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I ordered a copy of the Ultimate Edition on BF when Amazon had it for $20. Still hasn't shipped though
Finally shipped today!
Old 12-09-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

It was standard space shooter VR fare, but the scale of certain things gave it occasional awe inspiring moments. They really need to expand upon it, I'd buy it in a heart beat.
I've only played the demo for Eve Valkyrie so far, but Battlefront seemed a step up from that in terms of detail and quality, though I played EV on my old PS4 and was playing the Battlefront mission on my new Pro. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, since they've been a little opaque on how much benefit the Pro offers on specific titles. And I'm sure the Star Wars IP alone accounts for some of how wowed I was. I will say, I also played the CoD freebie on my Pro and that felt like an unpolished turd compared to Battlefront.

Anyway, flying around in an X-wing in VR made me feel like a giddy kid in a way that games haven't done in a long time. Hell, just the opening menu where you're sitting there with
Spoiler:
an AT-AT walking in front of/over you
put a huge grin on my face. I'd pay a substantial premium to have a solid, decently long Rogue Squadron game built on the groundwork they've laid here.
Old 12-09-16, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I meant in regards to how it played, it was much more polished than the two titles you mentioned and is more polished than the mobile phone versions of the same genre.

The visuals were nicely polished, my only complaint is how obviously 2D the distant backgrounds were (Planets, galaxies, etc; )

And I agree w/ the menu, that was just a cool ass menu all around.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.