Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-16, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
re: The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

imo it's worth picking up now, the software lineup is surprisingly solid thus far.

A good number of PC ports are on the way as well, Windlands was just released this week.

Additionally there seems to be a steady flow of titles due on the platform, ie: Tethered, a strategy/adventure game that works wonders with its God's Eye View of the gameworld, came out this week.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-27-16 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-27-16, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Alright, so I have a dilemma. Target has a 10% coupon out that works on video games and electronics. My local store has one launch bundle left that would be $425 after coupon and Red Card. Is it worth picking up now or waiting to see how things shake out?

A couple things to note, I don't have any move controllers or camera, so the bundle would probably be my best bet. It also looks like that bundle is discontinued after this. So they might do something else later or maybe even pack in a game or something.

I don't have a decent computer, so it's either Playstation VR or nothing.
where is the coupon from?
Old 10-27-16, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
where is the coupon from?
http://slickdeals.net/f/9227471-targ...-wish-list-app
Old 10-27-16, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks!
Old 10-27-16, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny enough, a slightly cheaper opportunity popped up for me today on Amazon Warehouse Deals:

Downloadable content (DLC) or codes for online play may require additional purchase. Factory Sealed.
So I grabbed that for $454.70. Since I don't pay sales tax through Amazon, it's about $10 cheaper than the Target deal (and I can use the coupon for something else). Hopefully it works with my set up. I guess worse case it goes back to Amazon.
Old 10-31-16, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone know if the regular Driveclub game works in VR or would I have to buy the new VR edition?
Old 10-31-16, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You'd have to buy the new VR version, I hope it becomes an add-on instead of a "repurchase" trend but we'll see.

You get a discount if you previously purchased the season pass.
Old 11-01-16, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well that blows.
Old 11-01-16, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed
Old 11-03-16, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"We're also excited to announce that the Jackal Assault VR Experience will be available to all PS4 owners, not just for players who have purchased the game, as a free, added bonus on November 4. Just head to the PlayStation VR section of the PlayStation Store, and after selecting Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare – Jackal Assault VR Experience, follow the prompts to download and install. Please note that you will need PlayStation VR, sold separately, to play."
Old 11-03-16, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice. My Call of Duty Inifinte Warfare will still be the Xbox One. I was thinking I would have to rent the PS4 version to try the VR aspect.
Old 11-07-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Any idea what, if any, VR platform Blizzard is going to design for?
Old 11-07-16, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been more talk about Robinson The Journey since it comes out tomorrow. I remember that being the first killer trailer when Sony first announced their VR headset. I'm just hoping it doesn't turn out to be like No Man's Sky.

Old 11-07-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It'd be awesome if it turned out to be No Man's Sky alas apparently it's only 5 hours long, primarily just exploring in VR (which is fine by me). Lots of impressions on Reddit.
Old 11-07-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon finally shipped my bundle today. Looks like it should get here on Wednesday. I have the Batman and Until Dawn games and a few demos I downloaded. Anything else worth checking out right away?
Old 11-07-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Thumper is a fun game, although not VR dependant. Job Simulator is fun. It's worth trying out all the demo stuff.
Old 11-07-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thumper took a while for me to get into, I was on board when Stage 6 started though. The VR makes it way more immersive but I feel like it's a little flat for VR, needs some Super HyperCube style parts through it.

Job Simulator is what sold me on VR, tossing on the head set and turning around and feeling like I was in something distorted cartoon world was a trip.

Windlands is a really cool experience as well, first time I've actually taken a seat in real life while on the edge of a virtual cliff just to admire the view.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-07-16 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-09-16, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So the package ended up coming yesterday and I got everything set up last night. Overall, it was pretty easy to set up, which I liked. My main problem was camera placement, which is what I anticipated. I have an entertainment rack set up next to our couch and couldn't find a good place to put the camera. On top of that, the cord was too short, so I had to put it at an angle on top of my Xbox 360. So as soon as I got everything up and running, everything was shifted over a tad, which was making me really nauseous when moving around in the demos. I tried out The Kitchen and Thumper before I called it a night in fear of getting sick.

I'm going to need a camera extension cable before I try out anything else. I found this one at Best Buy, but $20 is a little steep for a cable. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...at312000050016
Old 11-09-16, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So the package ended up coming yesterday and I got everything set up last night. Overall, it was pretty easy to set up, which I liked. My main problem was camera placement, which is what I anticipated. I have an entertainment rack set up next to our couch and couldn't find a good place to put the camera. On top of that, the cord was too short, so I had to put it at an angle on top of my Xbox 360. So as soon as I got everything up and running, everything was shifted over a tad, which was making me really nauseous when moving around in the demos. I tried out The Kitchen and Thumper before I called it a night in fear of getting sick.

I'm going to need a camera extension cable before I try out anything else. I found this one at Best Buy, but $20 is a little steep for a cable. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia...at312000050016
That cable goes for $30 - $40 on other sites.

What do you mean by shifted over? I assume holding the Options button did nothing?
Old 11-09-16, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's like when I was looking dead straight, everything was shifted slightly over to the left. So it was just throwing everything off with me. At one point in The Kitchen demo, I looked down at my body and it was about a foot over to the left of me, but then shifted back. So that is why I was trying to figure out if it was because I had the camera over to the side of me instead of directly in front of me? I've never had a Kinect or anything before, so I didn't know if you had to have those directly in front of you or if you could place them to the side where they could still see you or not.
Old 11-09-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's like when I was looking dead straight, everything was shifted slightly over to the left. So it was just throwing everything off with me. At one point in The Kitchen demo, I looked down at my body and it was about a foot over to the left of me, but then shifted back. So that is why I was trying to figure out if it was because I had the camera over to the side of me instead of directly in front of me? I've never had a Kinect or anything before, so I didn't know if you had to have those directly in front of you or if you could place them to the side where they could still see you or not.
It helps to have them placed straight in front but it shouldn't be a foot of head removal for any reason that's odd. How high up is the camera?
Old 11-09-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Currently the camera is about 3 or 4 feet away from me and about 6 inches above my head when I'm sitting down. I just picked up that extension cable today, so I'm going to try and move it around tonight to see if that helps. My only concern is now it's going to be about 10 feet away from me sitting on top of my center speaker.

Also when I was at Best Buy, the guy in front of me at the checkout was buying 14 copies of Sausage Party. 7 on Blu Ray and 7 on DVD. I really wanted to ask him what he was doing with so many copies

Last edited by mattysemo247; 11-09-16 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-10-16, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The good news is the camera extension cable seemed to work. The only catch is I have to sit on the edge of my couch for it to register because I seem to be too far away now. The bad news is I still can't play very long without feeling a little nauseous. I played the Until Dawn demo and it was pretty cool until the roller coaster started to speed up. But I don't think it was the movement that was getting to me, but the blurry graphics. The seem to be somewhere between PS2 & PS3, but no where near PS4. So I stopped that and hopped into the COD VR thing. That was actually pretty cool, sitting in the plane and shooting other planes. I figured that game would actually make me feel worse since I was flying around, but I did better with it, maybe because it looked better and ran a little smoother? Anyways, I'll give it a few more nights, but if I'm still struggling with it then unfortunately it's going back to Amazon.
Old 11-11-16, 08:52 AM

The visual for VR are slightly improved with the PS4 Pro. I tested Thumper and Eve Valkyrie last night after spending a whole day backing up and restoring 1tb of data.

One thing that really irks me now is the non HDR support when using PS VR. I know this was quickly mentioned almost a month ago by a few other posters, but after finding out that the processing unit for VR does not pass HDR to my TV I was baffled on how this could have been ok'd with the executive meetings they had on this.

PS Pro, HDR and VR are 3 of the biggest things Sony have been pushing recently and to find out to get HDR content to show I would have to swap cables behind my VR unit and my console each time leaves me bewildered on how this got approved.

Q: Does the Processor Unit support 4K and HDR pass through?
The PS VR Processor Unit (PU) supports video pass through so that you can enjoy regular non-VR content on your TV when you have the PS4 connected to the TV via the PU and the PU is connected to power via the AC adapter and the PS VR headset is not in use. This pass through support works for regular 1080p signals and also supports 2160p (UHD or ‘4K’) content in YUV 420 color format at up to 60 Hz from a PlayStation Pro.
However, HDR signals are not supported for pass through by the PU. This applies to both 1080p and 2160p HDR. If you have a HDR capable TV and want to view PS4 content in HDR, it is necessary to cable the PS4 directly to the TV.
Old 11-11-16, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone played Robinson The Journey yet? I'm interested but have read a lot about it causing severe motion sickness in a lot of people. The only game that's really done that to me so far is Scavenger's Odyssey on PS VR Worlds. And I was able to play that for almost an hour before I started feeling sick.

I downloaded Eagle Flight last night and have been pretty impressed with it. The sensation of flying through Paris is pretty awesome. I don't know that I needed to have a giant eagle beak hovering in front of my face the entire time though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.