Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The VR Thread (Oculus Rift, Vive, Playstation VR)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Thread (Oculus Rift, Vive, Playstation VR)

Old 06-21-20, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The VR Thread (Oculus Rift, Vive, Playstation VR)

Got a question on the Oculus....

My Grandson has the Quest.....their Home PC is really not up to par to handle the Steam VR end of it...ours is. There's games he like to get but we're trying to figure out...

Playing the Steam Games, does he have to stay connected to our PC or does theses DL to the Quest?

We saw a video on the two connection methods but seems it's a lot to do and jump thru for the wireless...besides No Wires and Free To roam, is there other Pros and Cons to each; wired or wireless?

Can he just connect his Quest to our PC and then sign into the Oculus Site and get updates, games, etc....or is where the account is established the only point where he can connect?
Old 06-21-20, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
Got a question on the Oculus....

My Grandson has the Quest.....their Home PC is really not up to par to handle the Steam VR end of it...ours is. There's games he like to get but we're trying to figure out...

Playing the Steam Games, does he have to stay connected to our PC or does theses DL to the Quest?

We saw a video on the two connection methods but seems it's a lot to do and jump thru for the wireless...besides No Wires and Free To roam, is there other Pros and Cons to each; wired or wireless?

Can he just connect his Quest to our PC and then sign into the Oculus Site and get updates, games, etc....or is where the account is established the only point where he can connect?
1. Steam VR runs on a PC, the games you buy through Steam VR have to run on a PC they cannot run on the Quest directly.
2. Some games are multi-platform, if you buy those through Oculus, occasionally you'll get both the PC/Rift and Quest versions for the price of one. This deal does not apply to Steam VR versions of the same game.
3. To play a Steam VR game, you must be connected to the PC at all times, either wired or wirelessly via an app like Virtual Desktop.
4. Wireless requires a little bit of work, the cable requires next to none. Wireless is just nice because it's wireless. Wired generally has higher graphical fidelity and better response times (though it's generally not noticeably faster), it can also charge the headset while you play.
5. This one is a little confusing. You update the Quest directly (While wearing it, or enable Auto-Update), you only plug it into a PC if you want to play PC Oculus games on it via the cable / Virtual Desktop Wireless.
Old 06-21-20, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are details on a new desktop PC I recently purchased. Which, if any, VR set would go best with it ?

-HP OMEN - Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 5-Series 3600 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER - 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD - Black
Old 06-22-20, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you Rich for all the info....helps a bit and clarify s a lot. Trying to encourage him to work & save towards a PC...we have one from Cyberpower and frankly couldn't never go elsewhere again for any PC no matter the price.
Old 06-22-20, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Here are details on a new desktop PC I recently purchased. Which, if any, VR set would go best with it ?

-HP OMEN - Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 5-Series 3600 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER - 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD - Black
If I hadn't already invested in my HTC Vive and Quest and knowing that the 2nd gen Quest is on the way.... I'd hold out for that. But if you're wanting something now, I think either the Rift of Vive will work fine and you should opt for the Rift, IMO.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (06-22-20)
Old 06-22-20, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd agree, wait for the Quest 2. But barring that, I haven't used the Rift S and haven't used my Rift since I got my Quest (which I use with my PC). So my pick is Quest, but the Rift S may be better.
Old 06-26-20, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Star Wars: Galaxy Edge Adventures announced. I hope it's building on Vader and not a virtual walk thru the theme park.
Old 06-26-20, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
Star Wars: Galaxy Edge Adventures announced. I hope it's building on Vader and not a virtual walk thru the theme park.
I saw that, too. I was excited that it was announced through the Quest newsletter, so it is safe to assume it will be on the Quest.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/announci...e-from-ilmxlab