DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/610101-vr-gaming-thread-meta-quest-vive-psvr.html)

K&AJones 06-21-20 12:39 PM

re: The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Got a question on the Oculus....

My Grandson has the Quest.....their Home PC is really not up to par to handle the Steam VR end of it...ours is. There's games he like to get but we're trying to figure out...

Playing the Steam Games, does he have to stay connected to our PC or does theses DL to the Quest?

We saw a video on the two connection methods but seems it's a lot to do and jump thru for the wireless...besides No Wires and Free To roam, is there other Pros and Cons to each; wired or wireless?

Can he just connect his Quest to our PC and then sign into the Oculus Site and get updates, games, etc....or is where the account is established the only point where he can connect?

RichC2 06-21-20 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by K&AJones (Post 13760912)
Got a question on the Oculus....

My Grandson has the Quest.....their Home PC is really not up to par to handle the Steam VR end of it...ours is. There's games he like to get but we're trying to figure out...

Playing the Steam Games, does he have to stay connected to our PC or does theses DL to the Quest?

We saw a video on the two connection methods but seems it's a lot to do and jump thru for the wireless...besides No Wires and Free To roam, is there other Pros and Cons to each; wired or wireless?

Can he just connect his Quest to our PC and then sign into the Oculus Site and get updates, games, etc....or is where the account is established the only point where he can connect?

1. Steam VR runs on a PC, the games you buy through Steam VR have to run on a PC they cannot run on the Quest directly.
2. Some games are multi-platform, if you buy those through Oculus, occasionally you'll get both the PC/Rift and Quest versions for the price of one. This deal does not apply to Steam VR versions of the same game.
3. To play a Steam VR game, you must be connected to the PC at all times, either wired or wirelessly via an app like Virtual Desktop.
4. Wireless requires a little bit of work, the cable requires next to none. Wireless is just nice because it's wireless. Wired generally has higher graphical fidelity and better response times (though it's generally not noticeably faster), it can also charge the headset while you play.
5. This one is a little confusing. You update the Quest directly (While wearing it, or enable Auto-Update), you only plug it into a PC if you want to play PC Oculus games on it via the cable / Virtual Desktop Wireless.

Dr. DVD 06-21-20 07:03 PM

Here are details on a new desktop PC I recently purchased. Which, if any, VR set would go best with it ?

-HP OMEN - Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 5-Series 3600 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER - 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD - Black

K&AJones 06-22-20 08:04 AM

Thank you Rich for all the info....helps a bit and clarify s a lot. Trying to encourage him to work & save towards a PC...we have one from Cyberpower and frankly couldn't never go elsewhere again for any PC no matter the price.

Rob V 06-22-20 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 13761006)
Here are details on a new desktop PC I recently purchased. Which, if any, VR set would go best with it ?

-HP OMEN - Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 5-Series 3600 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER - 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD - Black

If I hadn't already invested in my HTC Vive and Quest and knowing that the 2nd gen Quest is on the way.... I'd hold out for that. But if you're wanting something now, I think either the Rift of Vive will work fine and you should opt for the Rift, IMO.

RichC2 06-22-20 01:26 PM

I'd agree, wait for the Quest 2. But barring that, I haven't used the Rift S and haven't used my Rift since I got my Quest (which I use with my PC). So my pick is Quest, but the Rift S may be better.

Rob V 06-26-20 05:52 PM

Star Wars: Galaxy Edge Adventures announced. I hope it's building on Vader and not a virtual walk thru the theme park.

SunMonkey 06-26-20 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13763709)
Star Wars: Galaxy Edge Adventures announced. I hope it's building on Vader and not a virtual walk thru the theme park.

I saw that, too. I was excited that it was announced through the Quest newsletter, so it is safe to assume it will be on the Quest.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/announci...e-from-ilmxlab

GoVegan 09-16-20 10:18 AM

Oculus Quest event today. Doesn't look like v. 2 will be a gamechanger, but higher quality equipment at a lower price is great for those who don't have one (or people like me who might throw money at upgrading).

spainlinx0 09-16-20 10:21 AM

For those who this matters to, like me, just be aware that all future Oculus products will REQUIRE a Facebook login.

Spiderbite 09-16-20 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13806425)
For those who this matters to, like me, just be aware that all future Oculus products will REQUIRE a Facebook login.

That is ridiculous. Why?

This requirement for people to have social media for certain things is beyond dumb.

I remember Spotify tried that when after they first started and backed off it eventually. Luckily I was grandfathered in at the time since I was an early adopter.

GoVegan 09-16-20 10:39 AM

Yeah, I should have mentioned that. I'll follow their stupid rules and connect a Facebook account, but in no way will I ever use that account for anything.

Spiderbite 09-16-20 10:45 AM

By the way, the Playstation Store is having a pretty large sale on VR products right now through 9-24-20. I bought several things I have had my eye and a couple of what the hell purchases. Any recommendations are welcome.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/...008-PSVRSALE/1

I picked up Tetris Effect,Everybody's Golf VR, Farpoint, Catch & Release, Carnival Games, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Titanic VR, Apollo 11 VR and a few others I didn't already have. Some really good prices.

Catch & Release is a lot of fun. Was really surprised by how addictive both it and Carnival Games was. Tetris is neat how it makes the music as you play (just wish I still didn't suck at Tetris as much as I always have) and just tried the demo for Golf and it was extremely cool.

I already had some of them like Creed (highly recommended) and Superhot VR.

Was thinking about Audica but seemed like I would rather put the money to Beat Saber (does that game every go on sale or down in price??)
Pinball FX VR looked kinda cool. Gonna wait until Iron Man to a cheaper price. Already have Astro Bot.

Any thoughts on the ones mentioned or any others on the sale page?

Rob V 09-16-20 10:51 AM

^^ I have Pinball VR for the Quest and I love it.

spainlinx0 09-16-20 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by GoVegan (Post 13806439)
Yeah, I should have mentioned that. I'll follow their stupid rules and connect a Facebook account, but in no way will I ever use that account for anything.

Arstechnica has reviewed the new Quest 2, and it has given it a rating of "Avoid." Here's the link to the article, which I highly recommend reading in its entirety, but I'll highlight a few things:

Review: We do not recommend the $299 Oculus Quest 2 as your next VR system

...you'll eventually find a different bummer about Oculus Quest 2: how desperate Facebook is to get the price down to that magical $299 number. It seemed like every single day that I tested this device in the pre-release period, I discovered some new corner-cutting issue that wasn't worth the savings. Those piled up to the point where Facebook will need to launch a Quest "2+" revision before I'm ready to recommend this headset.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Facebook reps mentioned that the controllers were redesigned with an emphasis on increased battery life and comfort, which I found curious. The original Oculus Quest controllers didn't last very long, but they only required one AA battery and were far more efficient than, say, the HTC Vive Cosmos controllers. What got the battery drain down further? This is when Facebook reps admitted that Quest 2's controllers have fewer infrared sensor points.

I went back to compare tricky "expert" Beat Saber levels on both Quest 1 and Quest 2, and sure enough, the older controller is noticeably more accurate. It's hard to perfectly measure VR controller detection without access to verbose data logs (which I've used to diagnose issues with SteamVR in the past). But I can safely say that after an hour going back and forth between Quest 1 and 2, the number of lost swipes on the newer hardware was higher. So this downgrade in sensor points checks out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oculus Quest 2 tries to split the difference with an adjustment system that both physically moves the lenses and digitally alters which pixels light up. Instead of pressing on Quest 1's plastic guide to adjust a headset's screens and lenses for utter precision, Quest 2 asks users to push directly on the edges of the lenses—quite firmly—to slot them into one of three settings. That's a pretty iffy proposition for an average user, since directly touching a VR headset's lenses is a big, fat no-no.

Quest 1 offered sub-millimeter precision with its slider. But Quest 2 only offers three rigid IPD settings, each 5mm apart: 58mm, 63mm, and 68mm.

My IPD is 61.1mm, almost halfway between the first two positions. When I use either of the closest default Quest 2 options, the results are just blurry enough to make me feel uncomfortable and dizzy after 10 minutes of use. Hmm.

(This lines up with my experience with headsets like Valve Index, which are similarly uncomfortable once I encroach the 1mm differential between my real IPD and the headset's setting.)

I asked Oculus Quest product manager Rangaprabhu Parthasarathy about this design change. He alleged that when testing Quest 1's calibration system, which let users guide their IPD slider until a series of green lines turned from blurry to crisp, "users didn't know which is clearer." In other words: Facebook blames dumb users, not trying to save money.

"I'm really sorry it's not landing in your sweet spot," Parthasarathy added.

But Facebook's policies make that "standalone VR" magic harder to recommend this time around. As we've previously reported, Quest 2 requires a Facebook account to function; without one, you cannot run the system's built-in fork of Android, nor can you toggle the system's "developer" mode and sideload VR-optimized Android apps of your choosing. (Speaking of: New rules coming to the Facebook VR developer portal will soon force anyone who wants to sideload apps to either supply a working phone number or a credit card. Yes, that is separate from the FB account requirement.)

Quite frankly, I had designs on testing Oculus Quest 2 with a burner Facebook account. I'd set one up years ago with a spam email address, and Facebook's reps asked me for my Facebook account address before they shipped me the review unit. I gave them my burner profile URL, then went to reset the password. By wrongly typing my new password one time, I was locked out. "Please send us proof of your identity," the site sternly warned me.

I actually went to an Ars Technica colleague and asked how he felt about mocking up a "frequent shopper card" with my burner account's fake name on it. He declined. He said something about "ethics." Fair enough. I had to shift gears and give Facebook a real-name account to use Quest 2.

I mention this goofy anecdote because you may be tempted to do the same thing... but Facebook is both incredibly firm and incredibly arbitrary about leveraging the "real name" policy in its ToS. This service has waited to wipe hundreds of thousands of fake accounts, created by governments and political campaigns for illegitimate purposes, until after a PR nightmare emerges. The same service can flag the slightest weirdness in your attempts to connect real Oculus Store purchases with an account by the name of Guy Incognito.Should the latter happen, Facebook is clear: You can kiss your purchased software goodbye. The same goes for anyone who enters a Facebook-branded VR social zone, like Facebook Horizons or Facebook Venues, and breaks a Facebook ToS in those spaces. (Facebook says it's still working out the kinks in these policies, in terms of whether offending users will face "30-day suspensions" and what kind of software restrictions those may entail.)

On top of those issues, my Quest 2 tests have expanded upon what Facebook previously announced in terms of how they'll moderate their Facebook-branded social spaces. Facebook Venues' beta includes a notice that the app, at all times for all users, performs a "rolling recording" of everything you see, say, and do within VR, so that you can tap a button to upload that footage and report other users' behavior. (Facebook insists this recording happens entirely locally on your device.)

Should you ever tap the "report" button, the app's terms confirm that Facebook is well within its rights to retain any data you upload for as long as they deem necessary, with no statute of limitations. A similar data-retention scenario emerges every single time you block or mute someone within VR. If a stranger approaches you and does something unwelcome, and you choose to proactively push back with built-in block or mute functions, Facebook may silently and invisibly sic a moderator upon the situation to see what happened and how you may have reacted or what you might have said or done in response.

Even worse, if someone "near" you in an official Facebook VR space blocks or reports a user, even if you're just minding your own business, your behavior (including motions and speech) may be tracked by these same silent, invisible Facebook moderators. That data can be stored on Facebook's servers indefinitely without you being notified.

If you'd like to learn whether anyone on Facebook's staff watched you within any of these apps and for how long, Facebook advises you to take off your headset and visit the catch-all URL of facebook.com/support for more information. From there, you have to figure out where exactly to file such a request. (So far, searches for Facebook Venues at that site turn up zero results.)

As we at Ars Technica know, that kind of constant data collection is a bonafide recipe for disaster. If you're looking to reduce stress on your VR apps' servers, Facebook, policies like these are a good start, because I certainly won't be using that app again.

GoVegan 09-16-20 02:16 PM

Interesting, thanks! Decreasing the sensors in the controllers is a weird choice. Obviously I was hoping for across the board improvements.

RichC2 09-16-20 02:57 PM

Sounds like a big downgrade, that's a shame.

GoVegan 09-16-20 03:53 PM

Review has already been updated. The controllers have the same amount of sensors, but they did find tracking to be worse. Maybe these are things that will be improved later via updates. The original Quest sure kept getting better.

Rob V 09-17-20 07:09 AM

Allegedly, the next Splinter Cell game is going to be a VR exclusive. This makes me very disappointed.

Spiderbite 09-27-20 08:00 AM

I finally bought Beat Saber for my PS4. I kept holding out for a sale which would never seem to come. But now it is my new addiction.

Just curious but is the DLC just like the game? Never on sale?

And I also love Everybody's Golf. Holy cow, that game is fun and great (other than no option tell the caddy to shut the fuck up)!

SmackDaddy 10-04-20 03:51 PM

I may be late to the party with this game, but damn if Echo VR (on the Oculus) isn't just one of the most fun games I've ever played. It's like being in the Ender's Game training bubble. Makes me wish for a full Tron VR game (light cycles, discs, evading tankers)!!

SunMonkey 10-04-20 04:35 PM

Shooty Skies Overdrive has been a lot of fun on the Quest. It is a nice wave shooter where your avatar flies a small, controller-sized craft that you move through a bullet hell. The chainsaw power-up is fabulous.

https://shootyskiesoverdrive.com

Rob V 10-14-20 06:39 AM

Best Buy has the Oculus Quest 2 in stock. I bit... ordered the 256gb version. I haven't been spending a lot of time with my original Oculus but I have been reading good things about the next gen version and I really want to be able to play The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners on Oculus without compromising storage space or resolution.

GoVegan 10-14-20 08:32 AM

I got my Quest 2 yesterday. I was getting a bit of a headache after using it for 15 minutes or so, even though I'm only 1 mm off the preset IPD distances. I wonder if maybe it's the strap - I'll have to try it tonight with the display off and see if it's just too tight. It looked great, though. The prescription lenses I got for the Quest 1 fit perfectly, and the image quality of everything was great. Controller tracking was spot on as well. I played a bit of Beat Saber and finished a few levels at 100%, which I could rarely do on the Quest 1.

story 10-14-20 08:47 AM

Of course, I got my Oculus Quest in June just before the announcement, but it's fine.

Where do you get prescription lenses? Are they easily removable for others to use the headset? I use my Quest as a workout device, any idea if prescription lenses are covered under an HSA as medical equipment if it's for health improvement?