Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The VR Thread (Oculus Rift, Vive, Playstation VR)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Thread (Oculus Rift, Vive, Playstation VR)

Old 12-24-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts
Re: The VR Thread (Oculus Rift, Vive, Playstation VR)

Tetris Effect was on sale on Epic Games for $20 and works with Quest Link.

If you own Robo Recall (x-platform) version looks loads better, Rez is relaxing, Google Earth is still the coolest damn thing. Windlands is cool. Shattered Lights looks really cool but I haven't tried it yet.
Old 12-25-19, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There are a bunch of games for the Quest on sale starting today. I think this is the first time they have discounted individual games for that system.
Old 12-26-19, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks, you two. I'll take a look at those, and the sale. I see Moss is discounted. I've been interested in checking that one out for a game I could actually play sitting, and now it's $20 instead of $30.
Old 12-26-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Tetris Effect was on sale on Epic Games for $20 and works with Quest Link.
I wish there was a demo for this on PS VR. I kind of want to play it, but I know, in the end, it's just Tetris, and I'm not sure I'd be into Tetris with fancy effects for very long.
Old 12-26-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I wish there was a demo for this on PS VR. I kind of want to play it, but I know, in the end, it's just Tetris, and I'm not sure I'd be into Tetris with fancy effects for very long.

I just bought it and have played it a bit on my Rift. It really is wild, but you're right, at the end of the day it is just Tetris.
Old 12-28-19, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I just realized that you can watch 3d videos on youtube in PS VR. The few I've seen seem pretty low rez though. Anyone have any favorites?
Old 12-29-19, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

So I just realized that you can watch 3d videos on youtube in PS VR. The few I've seen seem pretty low rez though. Anyone have any favorites?
I just got an Oculus Go and was wondering the same thing. They look like 8 bit graphics they're so bad.

Like this video looks fine on the computer screen but terrible in the Oculus Go.

Old 12-29-19, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That Quest sale was hit and miss. A lot of games only had like a dollar or two off, but a few half decent with $10 off.

I see that The Climb came out for Quest and wondered if anyone tried it yet. This is one game I am looking forward to.

I notice that a couple of games that recently came out are very pricey. Arizona Sunshine is $40, and from what I have read nowhere near worth it. Game prices need to be kept low, unless the game has a lot of hours gameplay behind it. I would pay that price for a Skyrim type game, but not some mediocre shooter.

I recently tried the new 180 and 360 modes on Beat Sabre and it's a nice addition. Not sure it's better than the original style, but for a free update its great.
Old 12-29-19, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
They look like 8 bit graphics they're so bad.
This is the one I was excited about when I found it. It's based on the Electric Sheep screensaver, which is just computer generated fractal type graphics that are super fun to stare at while stoned. Someone made it into 3d which should have been AMAZING, but it's so low rez, it's just kinda "meh"

Old 12-29-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, YouTube VR and full screen video in general needs work. The lense resolutions are high but just not high enough. That's doubly true for the PSVR, that resolution is just painful.
Old 12-29-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I just got an Oculus Go and was wondering the same thing. They look like 8 bit graphics they're so bad.

Like this video looks fine on the computer screen but terrible in the Oculus Go.
The creator of that video posted a response to your comment on Youtube:
Great question. It is certainly a bummer to see video which looks great on a computer screen look grainy in VR. There are a few things happening that contribute to this. The first and main reason is that, while the flat image version was captured in 5k and can be viewed at that resolution on a computer (assuming there arenít bandwidth limitations), the image is being stretched to provide a stereoscopic 3D image. So, at any given point of perspective, each eye is actually seeing a much lower resolution. This can be overcome by shooting in 6k or even 8k, however, this doesnít make much difference on Oculus Go or Quest headsets (or most VR headsets). Thatís because the devices themselves have resolution limitations. Next, YouTube does compress video and, frustratingly, youíre not able to see what the actual play resolution is within the YouTube VR app. It only allows you to see whether youíre playing at ďhighestĒ resolution. I havenít yet figured out whatís going on there...whether YouTube is compressing or whether this reflects a device limitation, or some combination. Youíll find that the YouTube app does something similar when viewing within Apple TV, Firestick, etc. Itís better than the VR headset, but not nearly as good as you see on the computer. I assume this has something to do with processing power of the television, but am not certain. Whatís encouraging is that, as devices improve (software and hardware), these videos should look better and better over time.

So that's a single 180 degree 2D image that's being split up and zoomed in to provide a stereoscopic image. Also, due to the way the 180 degree video is stretched into the square 2D image, anything other than dead center is going to have lower resolution.

Watching a "traditional" 3D video like a theatrical movie may look better, since it's not trying to stretch the movie to fill your view, it'll just present it in a "flat" window.

More info on the device limitations of Oculos Go:

The following users liked this post:
tanman (12-29-19)
Old 12-29-19, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I tried that video out on the Quest and actually it is more compression artifacts than anything but it's cool when it clears up from time to time
Old 01-02-20, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I picked up Thrill of the Fight during the Oculus sale. That game is a lot of fun, but I found it really hard to pace myself. If I was playing Mike Tyson's Punch Out I wouldn't care if I lost, but your survival instinct really kicks in while using VR. I did two fights a few days ago and I'm still a little sore.
Old 01-02-20, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought this launch video for Elton John's "Farewell Yellow Brick Road" tour was really impressive and well done (especially the first 6 minutes):

Old 01-09-20, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I fully expected VR to evolve, but this is beyond what I expected and very awesome!

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/head...183500903.html
Old 01-09-20, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder how long it'll be before the glasses can adjust for vision impairments. It would be awesome if you could have user profiles, take a vision test with the VR glasses on, and have it adjust what you're seeing to your prescription.
Old 01-09-20, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That would be nice. The insert i 3D printed to hold my prescription lenses in my Rift broke last night. The fun part will be trying to figure out the correct orientation of the lens that fell out once I get a new one printed
Old 02-11-20, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Space Channel 5 en route to Playstation VR (and potentially others later.)

https://www.engadget.com/2020/02/10/...r-february-25/
The following users liked this post:
faust69 (02-13-20)
Old 03-24-20, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Half Life Alyx Metacritic

Half Life Alyx is out, and is getting great reviews. I have it installed but I honestly don't know when I'll get around to playing it, but I'm hoping to get started this week.

Old 03-26-20, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Tried SteamVR on my Quest via link cable and it was pretty cool. I already had No Man's Sky on Steam and I think I'll be more inclined to play it now that I can do it in VR (got a little burned out on it). After I finish my Black Mesa playthrough I'll pick up HL Alyx!! I think the link cable makes the Quest the most versatile headset out now.
Old 03-27-20, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Messed around in Half Life for about 45 minutes today. So far itís a lot of walking around, and trying to pick up everything you can just to see what happens, as one does in every VR title. Havenít even held a weapon up to this point.

But holy shit it is a fantastic looking game, and it runs really well on my machine. I hope to put in another hour or so tomorrow, and I think Iím at a point where the action may be about to pick up.

If more publishers committed to putting resources towards VR titles of this quality, then Iíd gladly invest in a nicer headset with a higher resolution and FOV.
Old 03-30-20, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

If you haven't tried it, and you played/liked Zuma the VR version on Steam called Zooma VR is pretty fun. You get dual "pistols" and the puzzles now wind through 3D space and can intertwine. I think I played for over an hour yesterday.
Old 03-30-20, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
Messed around in Half Life for about 45 minutes today. So far it’s a lot of walking around, and trying to pick up everything you can just to see what happens, as one does in every VR title. Haven’t even held a weapon up to this point.

But holy shit it is a fantastic looking game, and it runs really well on my machine. I hope to put in another hour or so tomorrow, and I think I’m at a point where the action may be about to pick up.

If more publishers committed to putting resources towards VR titles of this quality, then I’d gladly invest in a nicer headset with a higher resolution and FOV.
I just looked briefly at the review of Alyx that you linked to... What's with the yellow feet for moving? Can't you just walk around like you normally do in a FPS?
Old 03-30-20, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I just looked briefly at the review of Alyx that you linked to... What's with the yellow feet for moving? Can't you just walk around like you normally do in a FPS?
Yeah it's an option. There are a few different choices, people have different preferences since some feel sick playing FPS in VR, others prefer it because then you can just walk around (if you have roomscale + enough room) the room. And some prefer it FPS style (especially if seated)

Especially if you're doing something like:

it's definitely easier to throw yourself in the middle of the room and roomscale it.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-30-20 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-30-20, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

Ah, okay. At least there's an option. I think it looks too primitive with the method in the review.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.