Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The VR Thread (Oculus Rift, Vive, Playstation VR)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Thread (Oculus Rift, Vive, Playstation VR)

Old 12-09-19, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: The VR Thread (Oculus Rift, Vive, Playstation VR)

My Quest charger stopped working... Googled it and it's a common thing apparently. So if this happens to you, you can use a Switch charger... I can confirm that it works.
Old 12-09-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Have a relative that is getting the New Oculus PC Powered set and ditching his PS4 VR simply he doesn't have the space and room for it....he'll be taking this to the Rec Room which gives him far more space. Where and how do we get him some games for this? With the PS4 it's fairly easy and straightforward but I know he doesn't have a Steam Account since they don't play PC Games . But how and where do you get games for this unit?

Old 12-09-19, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
Have a relative that is getting the New Oculus PC Powered set and ditching his PS4 VR simply he doesn't have the space and room for it....he'll be taking this to the Rec Room which gives him far more space. Where and how do we get him some games for this? With the PS4 it's fairly easy and straightforward but I know he doesn't have a Steam Account since they don't play PC Games . But how and where do you get games for this unit?
You use the Oculus Store to buy games, or you buy them from within the headset itself (also Oculus Store). Unfortunately the Oculus Store is behind the curve and doesn't have gift cards or game codes that you can gift.

The only workaround would be to have them setup a Steam account and buy the VR games in that. The downside to Steam VR is you lose cross-buy on the few titles that support that (ie: If you buy a Rift game and it gets ported to Quest, you won't have to rebuy the title, but only a few titles support this).
Old 12-09-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use Steam and aside from my account trying to be hacked every week, it's been flawless.
Old 12-09-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I use Steam and aside from my account trying to be hacked every week, it's been flawless.

Ok...but how does it go from Steam to the Oculus? I've got Steam on the PC...sorry but I just found out this weekend he's getting this gizmo and they said, "get him some games or a gift card".

So even if I get say a Steam Gift Card...they have to create an account and all...is that created thru the Headset?
Old 12-09-19, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
Ok...but how does it go from Steam to the Oculus? I've got Steam on the PC...sorry but I just found out this weekend he's getting this gizmo and they said, "get him some games or a gift card".

So even if I get say a Steam Gift Card...they have to create an account and all...is that created thru the Headset?
You load Steam on the PC and hit the VR button that shows up in the top right corner. I think after it's setup you don't even have to do that, it'll just detect the headset.
Old 12-12-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Still haven't gotten Link working, but I did pick up Death Lap (thanks to a $5 credit for any game that showed up) and it was pretty fun. It's nice having a game where it's possible to sit down. All my other favorites are TIRING!
Old 12-12-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

how long is the amazonbasics cable you got? 9 feet?

Hopefully they get more graphic cards supported.

Agree that Death Lap is pretty fun

Last edited by RichC2; 12-12-19 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-12-19, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
how long is the amazonbasics cable you got? 9 feet?

Hopefully they get more graphic cards supported.

Agree that Death Lap is pretty fun
I'm pretty sure my problem is the graphics card (or cards). None were supported, although they were all sold as VR ready - they're just a bit older. I haven't tried again since AMD cards were supported, but I've been busy.

I don't remember on the cable, but it was one of the ones others had gotten working.
Old 12-13-19, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, that was the case. I tried out my new work laptop and despite the Oculus Rift software saying my computer wasn't supported, I was able to get connected and play Face Your Fears just fine. I'll try a Steam game later. The card in the new laptop is an AMD and on the list of supported cards for V12, which only showed up on my Quest this morning.

Both of the cables I'd purchased worked - the one with the extender and without
Old 12-13-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts

There was a sizable Beat Saber update (for PS, at least) that added the ability of some levels to have the stage rotate back and forth 90 degrees while playing. Pretty neat.

Also some new Green Day DLC.
Old 12-16-19, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
There was a sizable Beat Saber update (for PS, at least) that added the ability of some levels to have the stage rotate back and forth 90 degrees while playing. Pretty neat.

Also some new Green Day DLC.
The 360 levels are great. I'm glad they updated some of the original free songs for that, too. You do need a bit more space, though.

I'm sure 360 custom levels will be on their way, too, but I haven't checked for that yet.
Old 12-16-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
The 360 levels are great. I'm glad they updated some of the original free songs for that, too. You do need a bit more space, though.

I'm sure 360 custom levels will be on their way, too, but I haven't checked for that yet.
Do they spin 360 on other platforms? On PS, it's just 90.
Old 12-16-19, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was not able to get my Quest to work on my laptop. I should have a compatible video card (my system is a laptop and the online help states it should be a desktop... not sure how that matters). Nevertheless, when I attached the Anker cable, it wouldn't connect. Not sure if I should try another recommended brand, wait for the official cable or wait for a software update for the video card. Would love if I could get this system to work with all the Rift S games.
Old 12-16-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What error were you getting?

Also has anyone tried out the hand tracking yet? It was released as experimental in the latest update.

Edit: Works surprisingly decently, if you've ever done The Void this is much better.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-16-19 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-16-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Do they spin 360 on other platforms? On PS, it's just 90.
Yeah, on the Quest there's the option for regular, 90 or 360. I haven't tried 90 yet.
Old 12-16-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, on the Quest there's the option for regular, 90 or 360. I haven't tried 90 yet.
Damn. What I found annoying, is if you put it in 90 degree mode, it's hard coded to a specific difficulty. Why wouldn't they let you choose a difficulty for that? The easy ones are too boring, and the expert ones are bonkers hard
Old 12-16-19, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

360 is like that, too. I'm guessing they'll add in more difficulties later. I found one expert one, but that was way too difficult. I was still getting used to things flying at me from every direction. But yeah, two of the easy ones I got a full combo on my first time through.
Old 12-16-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
What error were you getting?
Something along the lines of "cable is not supported"
Old 12-16-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd try another cable, and maybe even return that first one. (That's a total lie. I'm too lazy and would just keep the useless cable. But if I were you, I'd return the nonworking one.)
Old 12-17-19, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd try another cable, and maybe even return that first one. (That's a total lie. I'm too lazy and would just keep the useless cable. But if I were you, I'd return the nonworking one.)
I ordered two different cables off Amazon that are confirmed to work. If they don't, I can only suspect my video card and hope it gets support soon.
Old 12-19-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A second cable (Amazon Basics cable) worked. Just ordered an extender and I should be rocking by the weekend.
Old 12-19-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awesome! For once an error message that was actually telling it like it is!
Old 12-20-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The official cable is out, curious how the performance is.
Old 12-24-19, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone have any recommendations for Rift or SteamVR games for those of us who only have Quests and who've gotten Link working? I've got Fallout 4, Skyrim and the Batman game. Just curious if there are any other obvious choices which haven't been released on the Quest.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.