Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-19, 10:12 AM
Cool New Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
re: The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Sorry. I picked up the quest
Old 11-20-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Oh yeah, I'm told Thrill of the Fight is great especially if you need a workout.
I grabbed that one when it got released a couple of weeks back. Its fun, but when they say a serious workout they are not joking. After 5 mins i was sweating like a cat trying to bury a shit in a marble floor. There are a few of these boxing games (Creed II has a demo and thats also pretty good and gives a good workout). Thrill of the Fight was also pretty cheap ($10 or $15...cannot recall), so worth it for that price.

I have purchased a number of games since i got my Quest a few months ago, so give you a short review of each:

Epic Rollercoaster - Its free, so dont expect too much. Good for kids i suppose.
Gravity Sketch - A cool art program thats on the cheap side.
Gun Club VR - Firing pistols is cool. Firing rifles is horrible. Changing clips is fun, but it shows they havn't quite got this type of stuff down to a fine art yet.
Mission ISS Quest - Free, so cool. It does a pretty great job of simulating being in a space station. Having said that, this is the only game so far i have played where motion sickness has popped its head around the corner. Not massively, but noticable enough to not want to play it for prolonged periods.
Pokerstars VR - Utterly superb. Its free, and is one of, if not THE best Poker game i have ever played. Great group of people as well. Does have a tendency to provide unrealistic hands, but part of the game. There is another Poker game for the Quest that is dreadful. Can't recall the name, but avoid it like the plague.
Rec Room - Its fun and free (if i remember correctly). Designed really for kids to play around in, but quite a few things to do so pretty good.
Red Matter - Very high production and very nicely done puzzle game. High;y recommended.
Skybox VR - Good media player and well worth getting. Its free.
Space Pirate Trainer - A lot of fun and well worth the price.
Sports Scramble - 3 games in one and they are all cool. If you liked Wii Sports then this is the next evolution. Looking forward to more of this type of stuff in the future.
Superhot - A lot of fun. Takes a little getting used to and appears easier than it actually is. Unlike most games, and that works to its advantage.
Tilt Brush - A superb art program for Quest. Highly recommended.
Vader Immortal II - Continues the great production for the first, but its short. Like 35 minutes long short. But worth the $10 all the same. The Lightsabre Dojo is also highly improved.
VR Treks (???) - There is an app that i also downloaded that basically puts you in different environments and allows you change minor things like day to night, plant trees etc. Its fine, but nothing spectacular.

I see that we are also due to get The Climb early December and thats a game which really interests me.

Last edited by james2025a; 11-22-19 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-20-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm hoping we get some more proprietary type games in the future... Matrix, Marvel and of course, more Star Wars.
Old 11-21-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Tested out the Oculus Link Beta with my unsupported graphics card (Nvidia 1060 M/Max Q), playing an unsupported game (Rez) and a few supported ones.

Summed up, I see no reason for the S to exist at this point. I'm sure it's better in a few ways, but talk about closing the gap.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-21-19 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-21-19, 08:05 PM
Cool New Member

Just saw a commercial if you buy the quest now for certain amount of time you get a Vader Immortal free. I wonder if they can reimburse my purchase or give me store credit for it
Old 11-21-19, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Couldn't hurt to send an email, but the deal is oddly specific with their 11/21 start date. Is it all three episodes or just the first?
Old 11-21-19, 09:44 PM
Cool New Member

All three episodes
Old 11-22-19, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Tested out the Oculus Link Beta with my unsupported graphics card (Nvidia 1060 M/Max Q), playing an unsupported game (Rez) and a few supported ones.

Summed up, I see no reason for the S to exist at this point. I'm sure it's better in a few ways, but talk about closing the gap.
So what exactly do you need? Just a USB C cable? I tried streaming Fallout 4 to my Quest shortly after getting it and it was insanely laggy, but I haven't tried Link yet.
Old 11-22-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoVegan
So what exactly do you need? Just a USB C cable? I tried streaming Fallout 4 to my Quest shortly after getting it and it was insanely laggy, but I haven't tried Link yet.
Yeah, you need a USB 3.1/USB C cable and that's it -- the one included with the headset will not work for it though. After that you just load the Oculus software on your PC, make sure it's the right version, and plug in your headset. Done.

I had a similar experience with streaming, Link was essentially flawless when I tested it last night. And for reasons I can't explain, seemed to run better than the same software on my Oculus Rift OG.

It is worth noting, the quality of the cable will make a difference. They're currently recommending the Anker Powerline 10'.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-22-19 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-22-19, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Played through Vader Immortal Ep. III last night. Ended the game nicely. The dojo has once again been built upon which is nice. The one great ability this time is to be able to use the force to pull guns to you and then fire. Really nice addition.

These three games have been great and i hope we continue to get games at this level in the future. It does end teasing further adventures....so bring on 2020.
Old 11-22-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Played through Vader Immortal Ep. III last night. Ended the game nicely. The dojo has once again been built upon which is nice. The one great ability this time is to be able to use the force to pull guns to you and then fire. Really nice addition.

These three games have been great and i hope we continue to get games at this level in the future. It does end teasing further adventures....so bring on 2020.
I played Ep 1 and it was fantastic. Considering a good SW game, one featuring Darth Vader no less, is what I've been hoping for since VR became more mainstream, I can't believe I haven't picked up the last two episodes.
Old 11-25-19, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, you need a USB 3.1/USB C cable and that's it -- the one included with the headset will not work for it though. After that you just load the Oculus software on your PC, make sure it's the right version, and plug in your headset. Done.

I had a similar experience with streaming, Link was essentially flawless when I tested it last night. And for reasons I can't explain, seemed to run better than the same software on my Oculus Rift OG.

It is worth noting, the quality of the cable will make a difference. They're currently recommending the Anker Powerline 10'.
Thanks! I ordered a few cables - I didn't have anything already which worked. My PC is a few years old, but I think it'll be fine. If not, my work laptop has extremely nice specs for VR (because I'm in IT and got to pick whatever I wanted. *wristslap*)
Old 11-25-19, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Quest has been getting so much better. Casting to a Chromecast is great now - no delay, and no issues connecting or staying connected. I finally updated Beat Saber again and got BMBF working and tracking seems to have improved with one of the last updates as well.

And now Link seems like it'll be pretty cool, too.

I watched Carmack on Joe Rogan's podcast about a month ago and it was funny hearing Carmack basically trash the Quest - he made it sound like garbage since his job is basically trying to figure out what can be done with VR and where to take it in the future. I think it kind of taints his view a bit. It wouldn't have been the best introduction for someone who hadn't tried the Quest yet.
Old 11-26-19, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I get where he's coming from, the Quest really is two steps forward and one back, but I feel like Link bridges that gap.
Old 11-26-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ordered the link cable... hoping to try this out over Xmas or sooner. I love not being tethered to anything... but a 10' leash isn't too bad.
Old 11-26-19, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Which one did you order? (The official one is 16 feet long)
Old 11-26-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Oculus just bought Beat Saber. It also looks like there will be a 360° version coming soon.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/welcomin...s-to-facebook/
Old 11-26-19, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I get where he's coming from, the Quest really is two steps forward and one back, but I feel like Link bridges that gap.
The 10' Anker you recommended.
Old 11-27-19, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks! I ordered a few cables - I didn't have anything already which worked. My PC is a few years old, but I think it'll be fine. If not, my work laptop has extremely nice specs for VR (because I'm in IT and got to pick whatever I wanted. *wristslap*)
Hmm, I couldn't get either to work. Neither of the cards are supported yet, but the headset "connects" - it just never gets any further than that. I don't think it can be the specs of either computer, since both actually run VR games at a decent framerate - I just can't get anything to display on the Quest. I just get three dots.
Old 11-27-19, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Google Stadia

Hmm, I couldn't get either to work. Neither of the cards are supported yet, but the headset "connects" - it just never gets any further than that. I don't think it can be the specs of either computer, since both actually run VR games at a decent framerate - I just can't get anything to display on the Quest. I just get three dots.
Which cables did you order? I didn't realize just how specific the cables had to be. It's easy to find 3' and 6' ones but most 9' - 10' ones have to be incredibly specific.

Does the Oculus app give you all green dots?
Old 11-27-19, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Anker one was out of stock, so I tried something that someone in a youtube video had suggested - one of the Amazonbasics 3.1 cables, along with an active USB extender. I tried the cable with and without the extender and both times the Oculus PC app was all green checkmarks, but nothing ever happened on the headset. I only got the "please wait" dots and then blackness.
Old 11-27-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Very odd.
Old 11-27-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Anker one was out of stock, so I tried something that someone in a youtube video had suggested - one of the Amazonbasics 3.1 cables, along with an active USB extender. I tried the cable with and without the extender and both times the Oculus PC app was all green checkmarks, but nothing ever happened on the headset. I only got the "please wait" dots and then blackness.
From Reddit:
Common issue: if you are getting three blinking dots, please turn off the Nvidia overlay and see if it persists.
Old 11-27-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks - I'll give that a try. I don't remember that overlay even being an option, but that'll be a good place to start looking. The Nvidia software caused odd problems on this laptop in the past, like it was set by default to autoselect if it would use the Nvidia card or the built-in graphics card and every game would select the onboard card and run terribly.
Old 11-27-19, 08:10 PM
Cool New Member

What is the best material to keep the lenses clean on the quest?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.