DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/610101-vr-gaming-thread-meta-quest-vive-psvr.html)

DaveNinja 01-18-19 11:17 AM

re: The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 13482706)
Ugh. I don’t play my PSVR much because it messes with my glasses. Maybe I should look into a Rift.

with the rift you can get inserts in your prescription that will allow you to not need to wear glasses. You can do it cheaply with a set of glasses from zenni and a 3d printed bracket.

RichC2 03-20-19 02:04 PM

Oculus S announced: https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/20/oculus-rift-s-announcement/?utm_campaign=homepage&utm_medium=internal&utm_source=dl

$399, higher res + better integrated sound

Resolution: 1080 x 1200 -> 1280 x 1440
Refresh Rate: 90 hz -> 80hz
FOV: Improved, no detail
On Visor Cameras for "Passthrough+"

This headset also gets rid of the room tracking cameras that the original Rift and Vive used in favor of the headset mounted ones. Mixed feelings on that as previous versions caused "blind zones" on your body.

DaveNinja 03-21-19 10:42 AM

Most of the VR/Oculus guys I heard review it said the S is more of a 'sidegrade' than an 'upgrade'.

RichC2 03-21-19 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja (Post 13520268)
Most of the VR/Oculus guys I heard review it said the S is more of a 'sidegrade' than an 'upgrade'.

There are some pretty substantial changes involved but in terms of actual vr experience, I can see that.

lopper 03-21-19 12:53 PM

I've been checking out the r/oculus subreddit and it seems most people are not exactly thrilled with the S. I remember hearing for a while now that the S wasn't necessarily the upgrade people are looking for, so I'm not sure why the sudden outrage. Not sure what people were expecting.

RichC2 03-21-19 01:17 PM

It's the internet, everybody complains about everything.

DaveNinja 03-22-19 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13520409)
It's the internet, everybody complains about everything.

exactly!

I picked up some batman arkam game for $5. looking forward to getting to be VR batman!

eXcentris 03-22-19 03:29 PM

I have a Go. I'm getting a Quest when it comes out.

tanman 05-05-19 03:49 AM

Mildly interested in VR and have a couple questions. Can you play 3D blurays with anything else besides the PSVR? I know it's not out yet but is there any reason to get the Oculus Go if if you get the Oculus Quest? So in other words it seems it would be worth the extra $200 and just get the Oculus Quest rather than settling for the Go. What about the games. It seems like Oculus is populated with much more generic games with all of the actual licensed and established games on the PSVR? Any other thoughts between the PSVR and Oculus Quest? I don't have any equipment for it at all either the PS4 or a PC capable of running the Oculus Rift.

asianxcore 05-05-19 10:33 AM

I recently bought the PSVR Borderlands 2/Beat Saber Bundle, which also comes with (2) Move Controllers and the Playstation Camera.

Brought it to the Video Game Event I run every month at the school I teach at and the kids absolutely loved it. Definitely have to get more games.

Rob V 05-06-19 06:56 AM

Anybody order a Quest? I received an email that I could order one now... but I'm going to hold off until I read some reviews.

RichC2 05-06-19 08:44 AM

I want a Quest, but I can't justify it (I have a Rift)

Nausicaa 05-21-19 12:13 PM

I ordered a Quest when preorders went live, and it's arriving today. Can't wait to finally get my hands on this thing as it's been my most anticipated gadget since they first announced they were working on this thing, code name Santa Cruz. Impressions and reviews seem universally positive and the content they've got running on this thing far exceeded my expectations. The Robo Recall and Vader Immortal footage looks amazing. Can't wait to have what is essentially my Rift completely untethered and usable anywhere.

Rob V 05-21-19 02:18 PM

I read a review of Vader Immortal and it was disappointing... but I'll still probably pick this up. No wires, computer = virtually sold on this (no pun intended)

maxfisher 05-23-19 09:24 AM

I went ahead and ordered a Quest and it’s supposed to be ready to pick up at Best Buy tomorrow. PS VR has been fun, but the area where my PS4 is located is not conducive to VR and it’s been a pain to set it up and play it. I realize the Quest will be sacrificing some processing power, but being able to easily take it to somewhere in my house with wide open space should make up for it for me.

Will probably sell/trade in my PS VR setup and all the games I have for it in the next week or two. Anyone know the best place to sell games these days? I bought a physical copy of Job Simulator and never opened it. I see that it’s listed for quite a lot on Amazon, but it’s been ages since I sold a game instead of just trading it in somewhere and I’m not sure where I’d have the most luck.

Rob V 05-23-19 10:55 AM

^^ I have had varying degrees of success with Facebook Marketplace... games are polarizing though.

maxfisher 05-24-19 10:32 PM

Picked up my Quest today, set it up tonight and downloaded several games. I intended to spend a little time in each of them, but instead tinkered with the tutorial games and then got sucked into Beat Saber for an hour and a half.

I’m extremely impressed with my first experience. The tracking is excellent. The setup is simple. The lenses have less of a screen door effect than psvr. The sound is good enough that I didn’t realize until I was done playing that I had neglected to plug in my headphones and put them on. And having no cord is amazing. I didn’t think the cord bothered me that much with psvr, but it was a night and day difference to not have the weight of it tugging on the headset and not be hitting it while moving around. Not to mention, being able to walk into the largest section of open floorspace in our house and start playing without being tethered to the console was fantastic. Very happy with the purchase.

RichC2 05-26-19 09:34 AM

I think you'll find the controllers to be the biggest upgrade from the PSVR. Those move controllers really cripple an otherwise solid implementation of VR.

mattysemo247 05-28-19 06:58 AM

I haven't really been following anything VR related recently, but the Quest has me interested. So the $400 bundle has everything needed included, correct? And does it have it's own store too or is it linked to Steam or something?

maxfisher 05-28-19 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 13556570)
I haven't really been following anything VR related recently, but the Quest has me interested. So the $400 bundle has everything needed included, correct? And does it have it's own store too or is it linked to Steam or something?

Yep, everything you need is in the box. Setup only takes a couple minutes, though you do have to charge the headset first. I believe since it’s not a pc platform, you have to buy games through the Oculus store.

RichC2 05-28-19 08:38 AM

It is its own store (seen here: http://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/ )

There is an app called VRidge that will let you stream Steam VR games to the headset. Alas, I hear the quality can be a little hit or miss.

And you can also sideload Quest games.

Anyone with a Rift uses Viveport Infinte?

SmackDaddy 05-28-19 02:46 PM

Ok, this looks pretty fun (even thought they do not recommend playing outdoors).

RichC2 05-28-19 02:58 PM

Hah, it's a budget version of The Void.

Maxflier 05-28-19 03:05 PM

I have a Quest sitting at home, I just can't decide if I want to open it and keep it or not. I just know I am going to get motion sickness from it.

RichC2 05-28-19 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 13556825)
I have a Quest sitting at home, I just can't decide if I want to open it and keep it or not. I just know I am going to get motion sickness from it.

Even from more stationary games like Beat Saber and SUPERHOT?