Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Thread (Oculus Rift, Vive, Playstation VR)

Old 01-02-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The VR Thread (Oculus Rift, Vive, Playstation VR)

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
I was using a projector when I had mine and was running into those issues as well. When I was thinking about picking up one again, that was the main obstacle I was trying to think of how to overcome. Because I was having a hell of a time with the camera recognizing the move controllers correctly.
Didn't even think about standing in front and blocking. I saw some demo where they sat down with the headset and used the PS4 Controller and figured that be fine. But if I have those games where I stand and move, might be an issue since we have a low ceiling anyway with the projector mounted at around 8ft almost above where i sit..

But there might be some silver lining but we have to wait and see if and when the Pool Table gets sold. I've been wanting to get rid of it...a 25 year old Steepleton with real Italian Slate....and put in a two seater with a 55-60 inch TV for gaming only. The bulbs for the projector are $180 a pop and the prices on 4K TV's just keep going down and down.
Old 01-02-19, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Out of curiosity, how far back were you?
Probably around 7 feet or so. I didn't want to constantly move it, so I had it under the screen tilted up, so I'm sure the light from the projector had some effect on it.
Old 01-03-19, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When I was checking out this thread using my phone last week I started on the first few pages and some of the claims of the technology we had to look forward to were pretty cool... too bad not much has made it to fruition. The Shark Tank stuff would have been amazing but in retrospect, it doesn't look like there really is much support for VR outside of a small group. As much as my son loves video games, he's not going to deviate from his console or iPad despite him saying the Vive was "cool". I think he's trying to placate me.
Old 01-03-19, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Beat Saber is amazing. Just be sure your friend modded it, one click and so much more goodness
Oh yes, the Mortal Kombat theme was a work out
Old 01-03-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
When I was checking out this thread using my phone last week I started on the first few pages and some of the claims of the technology we had to look forward to were pretty cool... too bad not much has made it to fruition. The Shark Tank stuff would have been amazing but in retrospect, it doesn't look like there really is much support for VR outside of a small group. As much as my son loves video games, he's not going to deviate from his console or iPad despite him saying the Vive was "cool". I think he's trying to placate me.
As awesome as I think Google Earth is (especially street view orb), I can't imagine many kids giving a damn about getting the feel for the streets of Tokyo from your living room. Try Super Hot or Beat Saber.

I'm curious to see how VR gloves turn out and hope they come out soon. The Void uses something like the Kinect to bring your arms into the game, but the lag is far too obvious, still kind of a neat effect. The guns on the other hand are mapped in perfectly.
Old 01-03-19, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What are some good (and easy to install) mods for Beat Saber? I did some looking into mods for it a while ago, and everything I read made it sound like a giant pain in the ass.
Old 01-03-19, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
What are some good (and easy to install) mods for Beat Saber? I did some looking into mods for it a while ago, and everything I read made it sound like a giant pain in the ass.
https://wiki.assistant.moe/beginners-guide
It's literally download the mod, install it, done.
Old 01-03-19, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, none of the edit buttons work in Chrome now that IB updated the site, so here's also a direct link: https://github.com/lolPants/modsaber...etup-1.2.5.exe
Old 01-05-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can play Super Hot in non-VR? How ... that sounds awful.

But yeah, the Astro Bot Rescue Mission game is worth the price of admission alone.
My son and I have played with the VR set I got him for xmas for the PS4 and it is truly an amazing piece of hardware. I remember when the Kinect came out and how cool that was but this beats it. Don't make fun...the Kinect was kick ass when it was first released no matter what the naysayers say.

The immersion can be truly scary sometimes. We tried the Rick and Morty game screwing around in Rick's garage and when you remove your visor after playing awhile, it almost makes going back to reality seem bizarre. I truly felt I was in another room.

The Move controllers can be a bit frustrating though and quirky. You definitively need some room to play this stuff (at least if you are using the Move controllers) due to the camera and also some of the movements. I wish the move controllers had a stick or pad on them so you could just use one to walk or navigate and the other to do actions. The gun has it...why doesn't the regular controllers? I could have sworn the old ones on the PS3 had that. While the controls (or lack there of) can be frustrating, the experience of being in a 360 degree world is awesome.

You definitely need some room in Super Hot. That seems like a game you could easily walk into your TV or a wall with.

We broke out Astro Bot the other day and it is nothing short of amazing. Hell...I would say it was worth the purchase of the PS4 and VR equipment alone. It is that freaking cool! I don't up but is it a strong seller for the PS4? If not, then it should be. It is truly a system seller and I can easily say that if you consider yourself a gamer and don't have it, you are missing out big time!

He also got several other games. I tried out several of the short demos from the "worlds" disc (I think it was called). I haven't played it yet but he said that Doom VR was awesome.

If anyone else has any suggestions for "must have" VR games for the PS4, please let me know. I want to get the Resident Evil game because I saw people posting at other places that it was so scary that many people just had to quit playing it. With the immersion you feel using the VR stuff, I can see that. They also had some pretty cool simulations in the store (like an astronaut Apollo sim or something like that). Anyone try those?

Has anyone tried watching a movie with the VR stuff on yet for the PS4? I heard you can do that but haven't attempted it yet.

Very happy with my purchase so far and we haven't even touched the tip of the iceberg. It makes me want to get a VR set for my phone just to have when he's playing his PS4. I have the Samsung Galaxy S9+ but didn't know if the one for it is good or not.
Old 01-05-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you try Resident Evil 7 yet? You can play the entire game in VR.
Old 01-05-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^^ The move controllers are the Achilles heel of the psvr system. I really hope they get something similar to the Rift/Vive controllers sometime down the line. Awesome to hear you're digging it!

That said, Windlands is pretty neat ifif y ever find it on sale on the PS Store.

I know the devs of Carly and the Reaperman wanted to port to the PSVR, but I haven't seen any updates on that one. It had the unique setup where one person played it on the TV with the controller (Carly) and the second player helps in VR (as the Reaperman)

Last edited by RichC2; 01-05-19 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-05-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the PS3 move had another controller called the Move Navigation that was basically the Nunchuk to the Move's Wiimote. I don't think it's supported in VR, mainly because you usually want two move controllers, one in each hand.

Astrobots is definitely the system seller type game.

Resident Evil VII is on sale right no so that's a great suggestion. I've heard people really praise the VR in Tetris Effect, and some say it's unnecessary, but I've heard it's a great game either way. Moss is supposed to be great, as is Beat Saber and Superhot but the latter two haven't been on sale since I bought the set.

Wipeout is another game which is incredible with or without VR, I mean it really changes the game. The Batman game is short but supposed to be pretty good, though I'd wait for a sale.
If you're not sick of Skyrim, that's on sale right now as well (it's a separate VR version). And I'm really tempted to buy Ultrawings for 10 bucks.
Old 01-05-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post

Resident Evil VII is on sale right no so that's a great suggestion.
On sale on the PS store or somewhere else?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
Old 01-05-19, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
On sale on the PS store or somewhere else?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
On the store, there are LOTS of things VR on sale on the store.
Old 01-07-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally set up my Oculus Rift this weekend. Wow, VR gaming is incredible. Robo Recall is nuts; I've been playing it a ton. I also installed the Steam VR platform and turned my home into the Dunder Mifflin office. I played some Counterstrike type game called something like Parlov. It was a little disorientating at times since you dont just teleport around. It was fun having to change the weapon magazines like you really would in real life.
I took too long to set the Rift up so i missed all the deals on the Steam Winter sale so I'll have to wait until I get more games.
My wife and I were arguing over desk space in our new bedroom but now I'll probably just move my computer downstairs so I'll have more room for VR games.
Old 01-07-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Robo Recall really shines with a 3rd sensor... Just saying.
Old 01-07-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Robo Recall is crazy.

I picked up Subnautica for free on the Epic Game store. I've heard mixed opinions on the VR but I'm still looking forward to checking it out.
Old 01-08-19, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Robo Recall really shines with a 3rd sensor... Just saying.
I have the 3rd sensor. Every once and a while, I have to peak under the rift to see what direction in the room i'm pointed at, lol.
Old 01-10-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally made myself motion sick last night playing Parlov on the Rift. I was on for more than an hour playing the Dunder Mifflin map so there were lots of quick turns and short runs. The dizziness made me a bit nauseous but I just laid down and watched TV for a hour and was fine.
Old 01-14-19, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally made myself motion sick last night as well. I rarely get motion sickness from anything but I was playing the game PS VR Worlds and "Scavengers Odyssey" did it for me. Got to a spot where I was jumping on large asteroids and finished that section and they just started feeling queasy. Had to stop for a bit but I actually never took the VR stuff off. I had played for awhile before I got to feeling nauseous (actually completed "The London Heist" - highly recommend...very short and not a ton to do but the riding/getaway section while shooting cars and motorcyclists is a blast).

I just changed to something different and played around with it. I discovered something else that all of you probably already know but I had no clue of...PSVR plays 3D Blu-rays!!! The 3D looks great though I have to admit that for some reason the picture quality is not as good as my old projector but the 3D itself rocks. Kinda looks like DVD quality over Blu-ray quality...may be the way the lens is?

Anyway...this is very cool as I no longer have my 3D projector or a 3D TV but still have many 3D Blu-rays and it is nice to know I can watch them now. I also tried some 2D movies and it was pretty cool watching them thru the VR as well though I still have the same picture quality complaint. The picture just isn't as sharp and almost has a grainy quality to it. Maybe I missed setting???
Old 01-14-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably just hitting the resolution limit of the PSVR. I think it's 960x1080 per eye, and has a tendency to make live action video look a bit worse than it should.
Old 01-15-19, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to get the hubs a VR system for his birthday but that's in September so I have a while. He'd use it with a souped up PC.

- What's the current best one?
- What's the current best value?
There's a new one coming out Spring 2019 but I looked around and it seems it's phone only... wouldn't that limit its power?
Oculus Quest or something like that?

Thanks!
Old 01-15-19, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

- Oculus Quest is a standalone VR solution, no PC required. It works differently than the current Oculus Rift (it has cameras on the headset to track the controllers, for instance) and is expected to be more like a high end phone than a full blown high end PC experience, but it's also a two controller setup that's wireless. Very curious to see it in action.
​​​
i think the Rift is the best value in PC VR but I know some people prefer the Vive -- whcih I guess has a slightly higher screen resolution and better room scaling (which can be achieved with the Rift, but requires you to add a third sensor). The PSVR is the overall budget VR champ though, but I haven't touched mine since I went Rift.

The windows mixed reality platform has some great hardware from Samsung and the like, but the limited support is annoying, and the cameras-on-helmet current solutions leave a little to be desired. I think the Samsung Odyssey has the highest affordable resolution at 1440x1600 per eye of any mass market head set.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-15-19 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-16-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went with the Rift after reading reviews. A few of the points that made me pick it was 1) cheaper than the Vive, 2) bigger library (access to Oculus store) and 3) its supposed to be easier to use while wearing glasses.
Old 01-17-19, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
I went with the Rift after reading reviews. A few of the points that made me pick it was 1) cheaper than the Vive, 2) bigger library (access to Oculus store) and 3) its supposed to be easier to use while wearing glasses.
Ugh. I donít play my PSVR much because it messes with my glasses. Maybe I should look into a Rift.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.