Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-17, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
re: The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

This blog says you can check the box; the new headset is model CUH-ZVR2 . The older headset is CUH-ZVR1
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017...-ultimate-faq/

But yes, I think mattysemo247 is correct that only the Doom and Skyrim bundles have the new headset at the moment. Even if you're ok with the first gen headset, there's really no reason to get the "standalone" headset + camera box when the GT bundle is the same price
Old 01-02-18, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the PS VR Grand Turismo bundle for Christmas and Im loving it so far. My favorite thing to do is watch VR youtube videos. Its so cool to be at Disney World or hangliding some place I will never get to go. The technology is awesome even though it's "not quite there yet." It's exciting to think about where VR will be in 5-10 years.
Old 01-08-18, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/8/16...unced-ces-2018

HTC is refreshing its Vive headset with a new Pro model today. The original Vive debuted nearly two years ago, and the new Vive Pro is clearly designed to address some of the complaints of that earlier headset. HTC is increasing the resolution of the dual-OLED displays to 2880 x 1600 (1400 x 1600 per eye, and 615 ppi), a 78 percent increase from the 2160 x 1200 (1080 x 1200 per eye) resolution in the current Vive. This resolution increase should help with clearer text rendering and overall graphics, and the bump puts the Vive Pro beyond the Oculus Rift or Windows Mixed Reality headsets.

Alongside the resolution increase, HTC has also redesigned the Vive Pro’s headstrap and added built-in headphones. One of the complaints of the original Vive was that it was difficult to adjust and heavy, and you had to plug in headphones, creating another cable dangling to potentially upset your VR experience. The Vive Pro’s headstrap includes a sizing dial so the headset is a lot more balanced, and it hopefully won’t feel too top heavy at the front. We’ll be testing it out later today to find out if this redesign has helped with the comfort, and whether the headset feels lighter as a result.
Old 01-10-18, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

We got our son the PSVR for Christmas which he loved the IDEA of and we even got him the AIM controller with the game Farpoint which he likes and is very cool, however the game does not even have the option for subtitles and being deaf, it makes the game almost unplayable since you need to be able to hear instructions to follow some of the steps. He went from being so excited to being so sad and disappointed that he couldn't really play the game unless I was sitting next to him and having to tap his shoulder for him to take of the headset so i could sign to him what he needed to do. He was all teary-eyed asking why "they not have words(subtitles) in game?" over and over. I felt so bad for him.

Does anyone know of ANY PSVR games that do offer in game subtitles?
Old 01-10-18, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

So I did this at Walt Disney World this past week:

Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire at The Void. Basically a walkthrough VR experience. You put on a sensor vest, wear a headset, walk through a warehouse in a completely immersive VR environment. Including blasting Stormtroopers, solving puzzles, etc.

Completely enveloping, 360 degree visual and audio immersion. This was a freakin' Star Trek holodeck. You moved from environment to environment that was mapped to the layout of the building.

I cannot believe how impressive and seamless this experience was. I did it with 7 friends (two groups of 4) and everyone raved. Your teammates all look like rebels in stolen Stormtrooper outfits. At one point you have to pick up blaster rifles from a virtual rack and open fire at enemy Imperials.

The whole thing lasted about 10-15 minutes. It was the best $36 I ever spent.
Old 01-10-18, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This is at Downtown Disney in Anaheim too! Was wondering if it was any good or worth it.
Old 01-10-18, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Worth every penny. This is some serious next-gen interactive entertainment.
Old 01-10-18, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Hmm, may need to trek down there and check it out.
Old 01-11-18, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Ugh, I'm jealous you got to try that. I'd jonesing for VR to step up the game and give us more SW, Matrix, Jurassic Park stuff.
Old 02-22-18, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Bump to mention a significant sale on VR titles on PSN this week. Lots of titles 50% - 70% off. I ended up dropping about $90 on 9 that I've been curious about.

Of titles I already owned, I would highly recommend SuperHot even though it's only 25% off. I paid full price and don't regret it at all. Batman Akham VR ($12), Star Wars Battlefront ($6) and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood ($6) are also all worth it at their current prices, imho.
Old 03-02-18, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So outta curiosity for anyone that has used both the Rift and PS VR extensively, how big of a leap is it between the two? I know the PS VR is lower resolution but apparently the display matrix does a superior job in reducing SDE, which I'm told is painfully evident on the Rift and Vive.

I'd like to scoop a Rift up, but I wouldn't say I was completely blown away by the quality of the PSVR -- save for a couple titles -- and figured there'd be a bigger quality leap... but the main issue I had with that one was the awful controller tracking (seriously Sony, kill Move.) I've used the rift, but only for a couple demos.
Old 03-08-18, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Rick & Morty VR... hell yes!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rick-an...?skuId=6204059
Old 03-19-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Vive Pro available for pre-order and the wonderful price of $799.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/19/1...-shipping-date

HTC says it will charge $799 for its new, higher-resolution Vive Pro virtual reality headset — and we mean, literally, just the headset. Vive Pro preorders open today, with the first headsets shipping on April 5th. They’re designed to be swapped into an existing Vive setup, using the old Vive’s lighthouse tracking beacons and controllers. Meanwhile, the current Vive system will drop to $499, cutting $100 off the current price. Anyone who purchases a Vive Pro by June 3rd will get six free months of HTC’s Viveport subscription service, and a price for a full Vive Pro kit will be announced sometime in the future.

The Vive Pro was announced early this year at CES, marking the first major upgrade to the Vive since its launch in 2016. It substantially increases the Vive’s screen resolution, using two OLED displays that offer 1400 x 1600 pixels per eye compared to 1080 x 1200 on the current Vive. It also includes a variety of ergonomic changes, including built-in headphones and a head strap that tightens via dial instead of velcro. You could get these options via a kit for the original Vive, but now they’re built into the core device, and we’ve found the hardware to be a distinct improvement over its predecessor.
Old 05-07-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For anyone with a PSVR, Wipeout is fantastically fun in VR and is one of the best experiences I've had with VR period.
Old 06-11-18, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Picked up a Rift w/ the eBay coupon last week, and I'm surprised I haven't heard more about Beat Saber. Seriously one of the most fun games I've played in a while. I guess it got announced for PSVR today.

But yeah anyway, if it's ever on sale, this game.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-14-18 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-14-18, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Budget Cuts is out today on Rift/Vive, apparently 8 hour-ish game time ($26.99). It still has a lot of typical concessions that VR games have, but it looks pretty fun.

Old 06-15-18, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

So I'm just now starting to look into VR. Are there games where you just use the headset and dont have to be standing up with lots of room around you? Like playing Skyrim with the headset but using a mouse and keyboard for the controls?
Old 06-15-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
So I'm just now starting to look into VR. Are there games where you just use the headset and dont have to be standing up with lots of room around you? Like playing Skyrim with the headset but using a mouse and keyboard for the controls?
Yep, there are some VR games that can be played either with a Xbox 360/One controller or motion controls (Doom VFR, Skyrim VR, Fallout 4 VR (I think?), etc; support controllers but not KB+M), and a lot that support controller and/or kb+m (Subnautica, Serious Sam, I Expect You to Die, Redout, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars 2, Dirt Rally, Rez Infinite, Thumper, etc; ) all while seated.

Even some of the games that benefit from movement are playable seated (Beat Saber, Talos, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Duck Season, etc; )

Steam is a good resource for figuring out what's supported.

VR Games that use tracked motion controllers: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?vrsupport=201
VR Games that support room scale: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?vrsupport=303
VR Games that support standing (non-moving): https://store.steampowered.com/search/?vrsupport=302
VR Games that can be played seated: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?vrsupport=301
VR Games w/ Gamepad Support: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?vrsupport=202
VR Games w/ Keyboard/Mouse Support: https://store.steampowered.com/searc...ort=203&page=1

Last edited by RichC2; 06-15-18 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-15-18, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

thanks!
Old 07-06-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Anyone try the Occulus Go? Debating giving it as a gift for a 13 year old.
Old 07-10-18, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another "weird shit happens while playing retro videogames" title finally due at the end of the month:

Not sure it'll out trippy Duck Season but hell I'll play it. Also, despite all these nifty little games, Google Earth is still the coolest fucking thing ever.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-25-18 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They finally turned that PSVR robot demo into a full game, excellent reviews all around. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission.
Old 11-19-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm really tempted by the $200 bundle that has Moss and Astro Bots. Am I really going to be missing anything by not having the controllers though? And does anyone know if this is the newer headset with the passthrough for HDR?
Old 11-19-18, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You will miss some of the better games w/o move controllers (ie: Beat Saber) but at the same time, the move controllers are the single worst aspect of the PSVR (especially when compared to Vive and Oculus implementations), and most of the best PSVR games are gamepad based.
Old 11-19-18, 12:17 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Until Dawn Rush of Blood isn't very playable without the Move controllers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.