Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

Old 11-27-23, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 179 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: The VR Gaming Thread (Meta Quest, Vive, PSVR)

A few things I bought for the 40% off Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale for the Quest:

Walkabout Mini Golf
Moss II (already have Moss)
Red Matter 2 (already have the first)

I already had other things included in the sale like Beat Saber, Vader Immortal, Super Hot. Considered Assassin's Creed Nexus but I already have so many games purchased that I haven't played so maybe it would smarted to put that one off.

I stupidly didn't apply the discount to Mini Golf though. I made the mistake of doing the purchase on my phone through the Meta app. With this sale, the discount isn't baked into the price ... you have to type in the code (BFCM23) like hit "Apply Code" button then hit "Confirm Purchase" button. And on the smaller phone screen my fat clumsy finger hit the wrong button. Sent a message to customer service seeing if there's a way I could still get the discount applied but I'm not hopeful. It's only $6 saved, but my dumb mistake irks me.

Does anyone have any other "must have" recommendations for sale games before it ends tomorrow?

Also, does anyone have any VR games to recommend that I'd play using PCVR (last weekend I upgraded my desktop so now it can handle that)? Things that either aren't available directly through the Quest store (or things that are massively better in the PC version compared to Quest).

Last edited by brainee; 11-27-23 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-27-23, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,921 Likes on 4,040 Posts

Pistol Whip if you don't have it is a must-buy. So much fun in short bursts.
The following users liked this post:
brainee (11-27-23)
Old 11-27-23, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,222 Likes on 814 Posts

Pistol Whip is awesome, makes you feel like John Wick. Try the "gun randomizer" which will select the weapon(s) for you before you hit play. I went from an old Colt .45 Single Action which made me die a lot, to dual auto pistols which sounded like Uzis and mowed every ennemy down.
Old 11-27-23, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also Track Craft is under $10 and loads of fun. It's mixed reality, and when you've amassed enough stars finishing the existing tracks (you get 1, 2, or 3 for finishing a track depending on your performance), you unlock the Build menu and that's where the real fun starts. It's on App Lab.

Old 11-27-23, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
I stupidly didn't apply the discount to Mini Golf though. I made the mistake of doing the purchase on my phone through the Meta app. With this sale, the discount isn't baked into the price ... you have to type in the code (BFCM23) like hit "Apply Code" button then hit "Confirm Purchase" button. And on the smaller phone screen my fat clumsy finger hit the wrong button. Sent a message to customer service seeing if there's a way I could still get the discount applied but I'm not hopeful. It's only $6 saved, but my dumb mistake irks me.
They have a very liberal return policy on apps, so I donít see why you couldnít return it and then buy it again with the discount code.
Old 11-28-23, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
They have a very liberal return policy on apps, so I donít see why you couldnít return it and then buy it again with the discount code.
I haven't done a return before, and when I asked a customer service rep their answer was unclear. But yeah ... not sure why I can't do that. Didn't think it would let me immediately repurchase the game (with discount) I just requested a refund for, but it did. And I can't see why they wouldn't refund the $15 purchase (it was only a day after purchase and was never played).
Old 11-28-23, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I placed an order for the BOBOVR M3. There seems to be huge demand for it, with it listed as not expected to ship for at least a couple of weeks. The one negative that some reviews are saying is that the extra battery can be noisy. Not everyone mentions that though ... and there was a video attached to one review highlighting the noise and I could barely hear anything myself. But I figure I'll give it a shot since so many people swear by this product and it's $80 less than the "official" accessory ($50 vs $130).
Got my BOBOVR M3. Easy to install and definitely a lot more comfortable. Something that I've others comment on and can see it myself ... it's looser on the face. That can be a positive towards comfort, but maybe a negative if you're playing something with a lot of fast head movement. I did a round of First Encounters and a couple rounds of Beat Saber and it didn't seem to be an issue. The looser feel may just be an inherent part of the design. I'd be curious how it compares to the "official" Elite strap, but don't feel like going through the process of buying and returning just to test it out.

Haven't had a chance to see how the extra battery performs.
Old 11-28-23, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ I read that Bobovr rushed the M3 and are still using M2 batteries in it, which aren't powerful enough for the Quest 3. Some have found this problematic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest...ded/?rdt=35358
Old 11-29-23, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by eXcentris
^ I read that Bobovr rushed the M3 and are still using M2 batteries in it, which aren't powerful enough for the Quest 3. Some have found this problematic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest...ded/?rdt=35358
I've also heard a lot of problems (of a different nature) about Meta's Elite strap with battery. The truth is that no one has likely figured out the best way to increase the battery. Although you'd think Meta would have, since they developed headset in the first place.

I figured the Bobovr set was still $20 less than the Elite strap without battery (and $80 less than Elite + battery) so it would be a reasonable purchase just for the comfort. There isn't an option to get the Bobovr without battery. Maybe that will change with the increased comfort, but I've never wanted to use the headset for more than 90 minutes in one session anyway.
Old 11-29-23, 05:36 PM

Pinball FX2 VR and the table packs are on 70% off sale for PSVR. Unfortunately it's not compatible with PSVR2.
Old 11-30-23, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've also heard a lot of problems (of a different nature) about Meta's Elite strap with battery. The truth is that no one has likely figured out the best way to increase the battery. Although you'd think Meta would have, since they developed headset in the first place.

I figured the Bobovr set was still $20 less than the Elite strap without battery (and $80 less than Elite + battery) so it would be a reasonable purchase just for the comfort. There isn't an option to get the Bobovr without battery. Maybe that will change with the increased comfort, but I've never wanted to use the headset for more than 90 minutes in one session anyway.
You probably made the right choice, Meta put sales of the Elite Strap on hold:

Meta pauses Quest 3 Elite Battery Strap sales, reportedly due to a charging flaw

https://www.engadget.com/meta-pauses...l?guccounter=1
I bought a BoboVR clone on Amazon, should get it today:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CKYX43LB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CKYX43LB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Old 11-30-23, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ForeVR Bowling now has a mixed reality mode. ForeVR pool and darts also have one.

Old 11-30-23, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,004 Likes on 797 Posts

You can now stream directly from Steam to Quest VR headsets apparently, no more jumping through hoops to get there.
Old 11-30-23, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
You can now stream directly from Steam to Quest VR headsets apparently, no more jumping through hoops to get there.
You can thank me. I bought Virtual Desktop during the Meta BF sale.

I picked up a couple PCVR games during the Steam Autumn sale. Arizona Sunshine (only one I've tried so far. Enjoying it), and Half-Life Alyx. I also found a Quest 2 Elite strap w/battery on clearance at Wally, but initially was having an issue seeing the extended battery anywhere in the headset. I found a reddit post which said to charge the extended battery directly without using the pass through. Evidently something about the extended battery being really depleted from setting on the shelf. That seems to have helped, because now when I plug in the pass through my Quest shows a screen with headset %/extended % that I never seen before.

There is a Humble Bundle that has both Walking Dead Saints & Sinners, and Saints & Sinners Chapter 2 (and a lot of other Walking Dead games (nonVR)) for $20. I think I'm going to grab it before the bundle ends. I have Saints & Sinners on PSVR, but never got very far into it because of control issues.

Old 11-30-23, 11:16 PM

Resident Evil 4 Remake coming to PSVR2 (for free) on 12/8. Glad I picked up my $30 copy from Wal-Mart for Black Friday last week.
Old 12-02-23, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I forgot to buy Half Life Alyx. Oh well, next sale! And I almost bought Virtual Desktop. I'll try Air Link and the new Steam VR instead.
Old 12-03-23, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

If you are looking for a small deal on the Quest 3, check your Target offers. I had a Save 10% on Tech, Toys, Sports & Entertainment items coupon there that knocked $50 off, and a total of $72.50 off with the 5% Red Card discount.

Also, the Steam Link app just released for the Quest.
Old 12-05-23, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Arizona Sunshine 2 looks like a legit AAA game instead of a tech demo. Comes out in just over 2 weeks. I'm thinking about getting it.
https://youtu.be/9g5HESiBx84?si=1sGT1bfK-ZxdJ0cO
Looks like it's a winner, and a legit AAA quality full game. I'm getting it now.
Old 12-06-23, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts

I picked up a 128gb Quest 3... arriving this week. I'm really looking forward to the augmented reality feature.
Old 12-06-23, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm still waiting on any news about a new Valve Index, or to see what people think of the VisionPro. I bought a new PC, and I still haven't bought VR for it.
Old 12-06-23, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just had my regular eye exam last Friday, and for the first time I'm using the new prescription information for some custom lenses from Zenni. Looks really easy to install and remove (if I ever wanted to let someone else use my Quest). $50 (with free shipping) seems like a fair price.

I tried using a cheap under-the-nose insert to screen out extra light. But not surprisingly it's just too uncomfortable with my glasses (even with the Bobovr headset). Though it's probably not even needed. Even though the gap under your nose is noticeable you quickly forget it's there once you start doing stuff in VR. I remember the original PSVR was better at screening out outside light ... but at the cost of making my face get hot and sweaty after a short time.
Old 12-08-23, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I bought "Lego Bricktales" and "Sniper Elite Winter Warrior". The later has mediocre reviews calling it an extension/DLC of the first one, but I'm a sucker for sniper games and I never played the first one. "Lego Bricktales" will mostly be for my nephew but I'll play around with it. I passed on AS2 because I have "Assassin's Creed Nexus" still to play and "Asgard's Wrath 2" is coming soon. I'll play AS1, then get AS2 down the line.

Don't want to plaster this thread with referrals, but if you want/need one for a specific game, just send me a PM.
Old 12-09-23, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Prepare to Dive, mixed reality, your room becomes a submarine!

Old 12-09-23, 06:18 PM

Very cool!

I played some Arizona Sunshine 2. Very solid game. I had to adjust the settings a bit because I was struggling to get and reload my gun. But after easing up a bit, itís really fun. The dog Buddy is a great addition ó youíll absolutely love him. Not cheap, and certainly worth waiting for a sale, but itís a solid, solid game.

I havenít played any RE4 Remake yet, but I bought a digital copy for $29.99 (with the Video Game Awards Sale), and downloaded the free VR mode. Will have to check that one out soon.
Old 12-12-23, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Many games have a mixed reality mode, but this is the 1st VR game developed entirely for mixed reality:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.