Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Duck Tales Remastered! (XBLA, PSN, WII U) - Summer 2013

Old 08-13-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Duck Tales Remastered! (XBLA, PSN, WII U) - Summer 2013

Wow, Game Spot really disliked it.

Not that I care much. For $12 (with a free theme to boot), it's worth the download for me. Looking forward to checking it out tonight. Will attempt to remotely download it to my PS3 this afternoon -- not sure if that'll work
Old 08-13-13, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's cool that you can choose to listen to the original NES music, if you want to. If they're not going to release the original game anywhere, I wish that would have been included as an unlockable.
Old 08-13-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Even with shiny new graphics, this is not a game that has aged too well.
Old 08-13-13, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

FWIW, Duck Tales Remastered is up and available in the PSN Store now. I've purchased it (for "Free" since I already preordered it) and queued it up in my Download list. Hope it downloads before I get home, but doubt it will. It's 643 MB
Old 08-13-13, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
FWIW, Duck Tales Remastered is up and available in the PSN Store now. I've purchased it (for "Free" since I already preordered it) and queued it up in my Download list. Hope it downloads before I get home, but doubt it will. It's 643 MB
You have to turn the PS3 on yourself to get the download. Maybe if you have plus set up to do automatic updates in the middle of the day, that might do it, but typically you'll turn on the PS3 and it'll tell you you have a download waiting.
Old 08-13-13, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope you're able to skip the cutscenes on subsequent playthroughs or it will be a real drag.
Old 08-13-13, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

According to IGN, you can't without going into the main menu every single time
Old 08-13-13, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well hopefully they patch that up. I was worried when they originally announced voice over cutscenes, but I didn't think it would be this bad. The game would be perfect if it didn't have them, imo.
Old 08-14-13, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
You're high. I played through the entire game tonight (well up until the final battle when my WiiU pad died. ). Still as fun as ever. I decided to take Joystiq's advice and play on Easy. The reviewer said that is closer to the how the original game played. Normal and Hard are artificially complicated.

I can see the complaints with all the cut scenes but for me it makes the game feel like I'm playing an episode of the show. They are skippable, so that's a plus if they aren't grabbing you.

The new / redone score is fantastic. I haven't found a way to play with the original score like LosingMyMind said.

Vocal talent is equally fantastic, and really adds to the experience however only about 50% of the characters in game are the original voices. The good thing is that all the main voices are original.
Spoiler:
just going by ear:
Original voices: Scrooge, Huey, Dewey, Louie, Webby, Glomgold, Launchpad, Big Time Beagle, Bubba

New voices: Ms. Beakley, Burger Beagle, Duckworth, Fenton/Gizmoduck, Gyro Gearloose

Unsure: Magica De Spell: Sounds like it could be June Foray but she's 95 and hasn't done the voice in 30 years, so that could explain it being 'off.'

That being said, WayForward has done a fabulous job and would easily welcome a Rescue Rangers Remastered. It also makes me want a Mega Man II Remastered in this art style. Lastly playing in the DuckTales world makes me want more Disney stuff. I still want a new Epic Mickey that is a full game with only the 2D levels. It would be gorgeous. Give me a full on HD game that looks just like the show, say Uncharted except with Scrooge and the boys.
Old 08-14-13, 12:26 AM

I played through the Transylvania level and really liked it. Can't wait to keep going. The cut scenes are great this first time through though I don't know that I'll want to "watch" the story more than twice, really. I was wrapping up when my wife and toddler came home. She saw the TV and said, "DUCKS!" so maybe this will end up a better game to play in front of her than, say, Battlefield Bad Company 2...
Old 08-14-13, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Downloaded it tonight and think it's pretty fun. Nice work done in keeping the game feeling like the original but only updated. I played through the Amazon level and got through a large portion of the Transylvania level but the game froze on me which kind of irked me. I wound up having to turn off my Playstation 3 and just quit for the night. Still fun though.
Old 08-14-13, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm on WiiU and I had a glitch on the Himalayan level. The audio was way out of whack. Towards the end, during the cutscene with the Snow Monster Webbi and Scrooge sounded possessed (real deep and echo-ish devil sounding) and upon returning to Scrooge's office it was emitting an annoying buzz sound that wouldn't go away until I quit out.
Old 08-14-13, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Played this last night. Put it on medium. Almost passed the Transylvania level but lost to the witch. Definitely enjoyed it though I did have occasional issues with the controls. My kids are excited to play it too having watched me play some last night. I listened to the credits from the main menu and really like what they did with the theme from Moon.
Old 08-14-13, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is there a recommended order to play the levels? Been years since I've played this.
Old 08-14-13, 09:51 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^Top to bottom. I believe the last two levels require items or information from the first three... but it's been so long since I played through as well.

I've been skipping most of the cinematics on my first run-through. The first level was frustrating because there'd be a cinematic for every damn coin you find. Luckily, skipping them is way easier than I though. Just pause and press A (or X, or whatever button for your console), since "Skip cinematic" is already highlighted.
Old 08-14-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I'm on WiiU and I had a glitch on the Himalayan level. The audio was way out of whack. Towards the end, during the cutscene with the Snow Monster Webbi and Scrooge sounded possessed (real deep and echo-ish devil sounding) and upon returning to Scrooge's office it was emitting an annoying buzz sound that wouldn't go away until I quit out.
Yep, there are some glitches that need to be fixed. I had the demonic voice happen too in the Himalayas, but at a different section. My system also froze twice while looking at the leaderboards.

The good thing about the Wii U version is that Nintendo doesn't charge the developers to release a patch, so it's all up to WayForward to get to it and not be lazy. I don't know what the Sony situation with patches is, but Phil Fish was very outspoken with how much it would cost to patch Fez on 360.
Old 08-14-13, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind View Post
The good thing about the Wii U version is that Nintendo doesn't charge the developers to release a patch, so it's all up to WayForward to get to it and not be lazy. I don't know what the Sony situation with patches is, but Phil Fish was very outspoken with how much it would cost to patch Fez on 360.
You think that's a good thing?

I think leaving patches up to developers entirely can make them lazy and not oversee things as carefully as they would if they were held more responsible for their creations, as XboxLive does.

If they don't have to pay or their mistakes, they can just keep released glitch-infested games, just to meet a deadline and worry about fixing glitches later, since it won't cost them anything.

And maybe if Phil Fish had tested Fez more (yeah, I know it already took him years), he wouldn't have had all those glitches and problems with the game.
Old 08-14-13, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind View Post
MS allows publishers to patch once for free (its included in the initial certification fee). It's only if a game has to be patched two or more times that additional certification fees apply.

Phil Fish uploaded one patch for the 360 version of Fez that fixed most of the gaming issues. Unfortunately that patch corrupted some saved games when applied, so the patch needed a patch, basically. He deciding not to do further patching and let the first patch stand.

Duck Tales Remastered is being published by Capcom, so I'm guessing they have the deep pockets to provide multiple patches, if needed. However, WayForward could also just get the first patch correct, fixing all known problems while not corrupting current saves, and no additional fees would apply.
Old 08-14-13, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I can't imagine Duck Tales not getting a patch if it needs it just because of any 360 patch costs.
Old 08-14-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The new / redone score is fantastic. I haven't found a way to play with the original score like LosingMyMind said.
Have you tried unlocking all of the music in the gallery and then going into options?
Old 08-14-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Don't have enough scratch to unlock music yet. Kinda lame they make you unlock things in a specific order they want.

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
^Top to bottom. I believe the last two levels require items or information from the first three... but it's been so long since I played through as well.
Nah. You can play them in any order.
Old 08-14-13, 03:11 PM
Banned

So they added needless things to an already awesome game? Man....

I'll get it at at some point. How annoying are the cutscenes? Are there a lot of them and are they too long for what they are?
Old 08-14-13, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Wii U version supports the Pro Controller, btw.
Old 08-14-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
You're high.
Old 08-14-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
MS allows publishers to patch once for free (its included in the initial certification fee). It's only if a game has to be patched two or more times that additional certification fees apply.

Phil Fish uploaded one patch for the 360 version of Fez that fixed most of the gaming issues. Unfortunately that patch corrupted some saved games when applied, so the patch needed a patch, basically. He deciding not to do further patching and let the first patch stand.

Yep, remember when console games had to be done and work correctly... MS wanted to prevent developers from releasing crap, or releasing games before they were finished and patching them later...

Money talks.

I don't know what MS does with the money collected from those that have to do multiple patches, but I liken it to a fine for releasing a sub par product that needed multiple patches.

So tired of day 1 patch BS.

Last edited by Music; 08-14-13 at 03:59 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.